Our Blooming Youth 청춘월담 [2023]

Tbh, I have no sympathy for whatever movement the Queen's people are trying to achieve. They killed too many innocent people for their cause. 

I like the conversation that JY had with Hwan at the prison, that showed she is not fearful of dying. The part where she confessed her feelings to him was heart-wrenching enough that I cried. 

I love that MJ is already holding GR onto her promise to be with him forever. Haha...

This episode is great in seeing a team forming to right the wrong. But I somehow felt it is done quite rushed at this penultimate episode. Like suddenly everything is revealed and fell into places. Meaning that this drama could have probably be done in 16 episodes, too many filler scenes?

Can we hope that Left Minister was having heart attack at the end of the episode? Hahaha....

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Kidnapping // Dog Day // Lovers // Vote

I finished one more homework! 😅 What do you guys think of the finale @ktcjdrama @abs-oluteM?

I'm glad we manage to have a happy ending for the OTP and Jae Yi didn't have to be a concubine (so it seems). Coz heck, if a courtesan can become a Queen, I don't see why Jae Yi cannot. LOL.

Mad Scientist is disowned (on purpose) and free from his family so he could do what he wants and be with Ga Ram. Han Seung On is just a pitiful character, but a loyal subject and friend of Hwan in the end. He doesn't seem to be interested in marrying the princess either.

Anyway, I didn't pay too much attention to how they got rid of the Right Minister so I don't have much to say there. Work had my attention at the time when it reached that part. I just know he wanted to kill everyone and was caught red-handed by the King's army. Kang's twin brother died to save Kang and Hwan. It's predictable because there's no other way for him since he committed some unforgivable crimes.

I will miss Oppa Park~ next drama would be a doctor.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

What do you guys think of the finale

I like it... There is still dragging scenes (like the well digging, does it have to be that long?) but I like how it wrapped up towards the end, with a little humour too, like when they were diagnosing Hwan's health issues. The drama seriously could've been more spectacular, but it's good enough watch for me. I still think they dragged out the plot too much in the middle, and suddenly, the finale week, everything came together. One nagging thing though, whatever happened to the King? that Hwan ascended the throne within a year... If he abdicated, at least mention it. One thing they can improve on also, is Jae Yi's make up at the final scene, they really could've done more to make her more "female". Her makeup is way tooooo simple. Even GR was wearing more eye makeup. 

I think the punishment for the villains are quite fitting. The evil twin brother dying to save his own brother/Hwan. That scene was done well, so quick and unexpected. Appreciate the flashback to show him being with Jae Yi and Hwan separately. The Queen became mad but reunited with her son.

One part worth highlighting for me is the way Jae Yi struggling with forgiving those people who had harmed her family (I had the same struggle too) was solved with wise words from Hwan. It's true that those people are victims who tried to find justice. Hwan has a big and just heart, very suitable to be the King. I can accept his point in how to forgive those people and punish the actual villains, but a part of me still screaming that they should've thought of other better quicker ways! Why wait so many years and make the revenge plan so complicated while sacrificing many innocent lives.... sigh... The Queen being in the palace for 10 years, could've investigate whether or not King actually knows about the truth of that village... sigh... Oh well, the drama was still enjoyable although I ffwd A LOT, haha...

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Kidnapping // Dog Day // Lovers // Vote

59 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I like how it wrapped up towards the end, with a little humour too, like when they were diagnosing Hwan's health issues.

Hahaha yes, that was so cute!

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

One nagging thing though, whatever happened to the King?

I think it was mentioned that the King was unwell.

The Queen being in the palace for 10 years, could've investigate whether or not King actually knows about the truth of that village.

I think she was blinded by hatred and distrust to believe the King. He isn't really the kind that talks about politics with her. Even with Hwan, he lets Hwan figure it out himself and even we were wondering if he meant harm to Hwan before.

I ffwd A LOT

I let it run and do something else :laugh:

• Haha 3

I finally finished watching the last 2 episodes! Was in Japan foe a short break and found that the drama was not available there! 

My thoughts on the drama don’t differ much from @ktcjdramaor @mademoiselle. Certain scenes dragged too much; others had me going “hmm”. Like, for all the talk about how the royal daughter-in-law cannot have a deceased parent, but ok for the queen to be an orphan? Or Hwan-the-king gets to rewrite his own rules when his father could not? And then I reckoned too the King abdicated, but it seemed that was for us to figure out on our own. No matter.

I liked it that Ga Ram and Myeongjin got together, but didn’t like it that he had to be disowned for that to happen. If people of low birth could be adopted into nobility to qualify as suitable for royal marriage, couldn’t the same have been done for Ga Ram? I was also expecting Hwan to give Myeongjin an official’s role to vindicate him from all that badmouthing he got, but he just remained a street side scientist, and disowned too. That’s a thumbs down for me.

Overall, an entertaining storyline and PHS is just a brilliant actor whatever the role. Cast generally good too. Just a gripe about the female lead - zero chemistry in the role. I could never feel the deep infatuation and love she had for Hwan. I could see it in Hwan’s eyes for her, but not the other way around. Could not convince me she was even remotely in like with him, much less in love. She was ok as Velma in the Scooby gang, but not more than that. 

Looking forward to PHS’s next drama. Hope he’ll be paired with a better actress. Felt like he carried this show on his own with the supporting cast. Female lead? What female lead?

Edited by gilaswan
  • Haha 3

This show should have been 16 episodes. The plot was too thin for a 20 episode show. It would not have hurt to push the romances a bit more but I supposed the writer was ambitious trying to make it a crime procedural mesh with palace politics and rebellion. I didn't mind Jae Yi's character at the start - in fact I was very happy to have FL that is as spunky as this. However , she was also not consistently written.  Though parts of the show was also not that realistic , this was a fusion sageuk after all so I can accept a lot of the historical plot holes along the way. The main problem is that the writer spent so much time on scenes which ultimately didn't matter  and if not for the fun scenes with mad scientist and apprentice, I may have just slept through the episodes. 

The character I came to like and feel a lil bad for was Chief Han. I think he had an interesting arc where we started off with doubting his friendship with Hwan and ultimately he proved himself a loyal friend and subject. I felt rather bad that he was not told about Jae Yi sooner because it does feel like a betrayal of sorts. He definitely handled his heart and the things thrown at him with much class and grace. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am