The Matchmakers 혼례대첩 [2023]

On 10/30/2023 at 8:00 AM, mademoiselle said:

Rowoon's stylist and I need to have a serious conversation 😠💢

Agreed...although the unusual shirt goes with his long hair and it would look better if the shirt was ironed...

If I understood correctly, JW's father and SD's father-in-law are brothers or belong to the same clan.

So, our couple belong to the same family.  

Poor JW, he is so clueless and innocent... :laugh:

F9uj1N8akAAv82k?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 1

Hmm yeah, gonna be a bumpy ride for the OTP. The same family clan means more obstacles for them.

I haven't warmed up to Sim Jung Woo yet, especially after being in love with Shin Yu for the last 3 months! I definitely wasn't immediately fawning over Sim Jung Woo like I did with Shin Yu's charm. The story and set-up also will take some getting used to.

@gilaswan It's not an appropriate attire to be worn to a press conference. I thought it's more suitable for a party or fashion event that he gets invited to. I was almost scared for him because I read KBS is a very conservative broadcasting station. Furthermore, he's playing a conservative traditional character and this being a sageuk, I'd think he would dress for the occasion and drama theme. I want to forget this. Haha.

• Haha 1

Episode 1-2

I think episode 2 is more interesting than episode 1. I had a few laughs at Jung Woo's arrogant antics. He is book smart, but he is not tactful. Just like what the King said, if he becomes a royal officer, he wouldn't survive well for saying whatever comes into his mind and even dares to talk back to the King. LOL. I think he would have died a thousand times already if he weren't the husband of the deceased princess.

@gilaswan I'm not feeling the chemistry of the FL with Rowoon yet, too, but I think it needs some time to build it up. I feel the same with Bo Ah at first too. I think it might be better once they start working together in the next episode. Jung Woo has definitely fallen for her, and not knowing it. It's amusing to see him get chest pain all the time and how he doesn't know the cause—it's quite obvious. Haha.

I don't like that the King is not intending to keep his promise to Jung Woo. Hmph.

I miss Shin Yu though, even down to his hairstyle. 😅 I am looking forward to Rowoon wrapping up filming, and hopefully straight he goes to the hair salon. But, he might not if he takes on another sageuk that was previously reported. 😫

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I think episode 2 is more interesting than episode 1.

I wanted to ask you about this. I got as far as 20 mins of episode 1 and gave up. Was gonna try to give it another shot tonight. I think it's really cos I can't get on board the non-shinyu-ness of this character. + FL. Even for the fashion shoots, I have to say Rowoon just looks better with CBA (what a coincidence that both are "Cho"). CYH just looks a little too young to be convincing in her role? I don't know. Will give it time. 

19 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I miss Shin Yu though, even down to his hairstyle. 😅 I am looking forward to Rowoon wrapping up filming, and hopefully straight he goes to the hair salon. 

This line made me chuckle. Hahaha... yes. The long hair ain't doing it for me. Like I said, I'm all ok if he's walking the runway, but emm... Naw. 

I'm all good with him being an a period drama - he looked good as Jang Mujin, and even in The King's Affection. But a bumbling scholar... I'll give it time... I'll give me some time... hahaha.

I didn't feel the chemistry between Shinyu and Hongjo right at the start, but that's alright y'know. It was supposed to be like this. But I certainly liked Shinyu from the start. Right down to disliking his arrogance. I felt that the character was believable. I'm waiting to warm up to this role now. Too soon after DWY though. Maybe his agency should have negotiated a later release with more time in between.

• Like 1

@gilaswan Yeah, I like Shin Yu straight away even though he was arrogant, condescending, and grumpy but I couldn't resist the whole handsome and charming package. I'm quite surprised with Jung Woo, I don't feel the same even though the “face” is the same. Hahaha! Is that mean Rowoon succeed in some ways? Jung Woo has got a mouth as bad as Shin Yu though. Hahaha. Shin Yu has that “you're beneath me, I can't be bothered with you” but Jung Woo is super petty, so he would get people in trouble. :laugh:

I'd say give it a few more episodes. Some drama takes some time to warm up to the characters/story. Jang Mu Jin only really appears after we're already dead in love with Shin Yu, so I think that's different. Plus, Mu Jin has such a sad backstory, there's nothing to dislike. All in all, I still prefer him in a modern drama because he's super dashing in modern clothes. Sageuk, I don't know—too many limitations.

• Like 1

Episode 3 is quite fun and funny as both Jung Woo and Soon Deuk work together to marry off the 3 sisters. The 3 sisters are the machination that will help our leads butt heads and fall in love, though I wonder how because Soon Deuk seems to still miss her late husband. Jung Woo, on the other hand, is totally smitten with Soon Deuk which I find it cute.

I can guess who the matches will be for the second and third sisters, but not the eldest. I have a feeling the man that looks like a commoner is her husband. That way, she will be able to stay at home with the blind mother and take care of her. Meanwhile, the foul mouth sister marries the Sungkyukwan Headmaster's son and the youngest marries Soon Deuk's brother.

Like any Joseon drama involving the royals, there are side plots regarding politics. Princess' death appears to be related to the Left State Councillor. He is planning to use the same poison to poison the Crown Prince. Jung Woo's hunch is correct with his suspicion. He doesn't know the reason, and my guess is the Left State Councillor clipped his wings because if he ever becomes a government servant, he would endanger his own clan due to his upright and unyielding personality. Hence, rather than Jung Woo, Jung Woo's older brother—the less smart one—receive a government post instead.

No doubt, the reason Jung Woo is the smartest male lead who knows all the laws and regulations is so that he could find the loopholes, and spare himself and Soon Deuk when the villains Left State Councillor and his clan are being punished later.

It was such a delight to see actress Oh Ye Ju again, playing Soon Deuk's sister-in-law. I adore her in The Queen's Umbrella. Pity it doesn't seem like she'll play a big part in the story. I wonder who her husband will be, since he's not going to be the Sungkyukwan Headmaster's son.

P.S. Honestly, I anticipate Jung Woo's growth. I need him to be more manly and not a scaredy-cat needing protection from Soon Deuk. I like Soon Deuk being the new age lady, but I wish for both leads to be equal, not one weaker than the other.

Edited by mademoiselle

Episode 4

The plot thickens. It appears the Left State Councillor was trying to poison the Crown Prince, not the Princess?! But then since it is revealed the Shaman serves the Left State Councillor & clan, then her words may not be true about the Princess taking the hit for the Crown Prince 8 years ago. They sure go through a lot of trouble to lure the Crown Prince out. I am interested to see what happens next, and how will Jung Woo use his smart brain to help again.

I thought the man for the first sister is the commoner, but looks like he is to be paired up with Soon Deuk's sister-in-law, Ye Jin. We are still one man short for the eldest sister! The poster isn't revealing him, either. Hmm.

@gilaswan, I think I've warmed up to Jung Woo. I had some good laughs watching him trick the Minister of Defence. Him being all smitten by Soon Deuk is quite funny too, and I do love some of the hanbok he's wearing, particularly the darker coloured ones. I also like the set-up that nobody recognizes Soon Deuk when she's Lady Yeoju, but Jung Woo is that special one who does.

There are so many negative traits of him to pick on (the scaredy-cat is still bugging me), but there are some moments he does shine. Although still fall short from Shin Yu.

• Like 1