Not Others / Strangers 남남 (2023)

Not Others / Strangers 남남

2wmN8d_4f.jpg

Eun-Mi (Jeon Hye-Jin) became a single mother when she was a high school student. She raised her daughter Jin-Hee by herself. Now, Eun-Mi is in her 40's and she lives with her 29-year-old daughter Jin-Hee (Sooyoung). Eun-Mi works as a physical therapist and Jin-Hee works as a police officer at the Namchon Police Substation. Jin-Hee bickers with her mother over everything, but they have a strong family bond. One day, a mysterious man Jin-Hong (Ahn Jae-Wook) appears in front of Eun-Mi. He works as a doctor. Meanwhile, Jae-Won (Park Sung-Hoon) gets demoted to the Namchon Police Substation. He doesn't get along with Jin-Hee at all.

Source: AsianWiki

Director: Lee Min-Woo

Writer: Jung Young-Rong (webcomic), Min Sun-Ae

Network: ENA, Genie TV

Episodes:

Release Date: July 17, 2023 --

Runtime: Monday & Tuesday 22:00

Genre: Comedy / Drama

• Like 4
  • Party! 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Cast:

2023061318360999745_1.jpg

Main Role
Jeon Hye Jin - Eun Mi
Choi Soo Young - Jin Hee
Ahn Jae Wook - Jin Hong
Park Sung Hoon- Jae Won

Support Role
Kim Hye Eun - Mi Jeong ( Eun Mi's best friend)

Spoiler

1687420091767519.jpg

Park Jung Eon

Seo Ye Hwa

Kim Sun Bin - Baek Gun

Guest role 
Lee Jae Woong 

Im Sung Kyun - Kim Jin Su

Trailers

On MDL, it was this was said about the relationship between mother & daughter... :laugh:

"Follow the story of a mother lacking countermeasures and a cool daughter living together - yet seemingly unrelated."

Trailer by Viki 

• Like 2
  • Party! 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Some stills

Think she's gonna be one very cool mum. But also because she became a mum at such a young age, she had to sacrifice quite a bit & grow up real fast. Perhaps now she is trying to live for herself, now that her daughter has grown up. 

1596395c-e8c3-4d2c-a00a-d3dddcbc378d.jpg

I am assuming they will have a love line...bickering colleagues

4e1l5Q_3m.jpg

QJ2RdA_3f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Party! 1

10 hours ago, Alice Wonderland said:

Interesting. It will be cool mom with her fiesty daughter drama all the way. But but... why is the male lead is the glory bully boss? Oh no, I still cant get over his brutal acting in there. What to do??

Hahahah...but I have also seen Park Sung Hoon play a sweetheart in Into The Ring where he was the ML ( Nana was the FL there.) He's versatile so maybe he will help you forget his bad guy roles :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

Hahahah...but I have also seen Park Sung Hoon play a sweetheart in Into The Ring where he was the ML ( Nana was the FL there.) He's versatile so maybe he will help you forget his bad guy roles :laugh:

Yeah, I was traumatized by his evilness there. I havent seen ITR yet, lemme see later. He was so evil as the bully, sigh... I kept cursing him on my screen while watching his scenes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

First episode was such hoot!

Mum was one of those wild girls that got pregnant in her late teens while still at high school. The boy was transferred to another school , and not a part of their lives. Mum is a therapist working for a stingy boss in an orthopedic clinic. Jin Hee, a police academy graduate was initially in police administration and doing quite well. However, she is one of those feisty vocal cops who has no issues standing up for what's right , even if it meant upsetting status quo. Long story short she was used as a scapegoat to appease the public over some issue and she got demoted. She finally ended up in a small patrol division reporting to her senior from the academy Jae Won ( Park SH) . Jae Won has never really liked her from those days, and now with her reputation of creating "trouble", he's warned her to behave herself. :D 

Love the mother and daughter dynamics. I died laughing when she walked in on her mum m***** bating. I know I know. It really is one of those things that no child needs to see. Mum is fun, full of life and a bit crazy. You may think she's the child. But I think it's her way of coping with raising JH herself since she was a teen. They bicker and argue, and JH sometimes feels like the mum too but they are clearly very close with a strong bond. 

Look forward to more laughter in episode 2! 

• Like 2

The panty thief scene was funny. I wasn't happy too when the pervert got away with it due to being a first offender, but smart Omma bullied him so much so that he finally had to move. LOL. Go, Mum! I don't condone bullying but in this instance, I side with Omma because it's just creepy having to live at the same apartment knowing fully there is a panty pervert in the building!

Mum and daughter are literally like friends here and hangs out with one another lots. Will continue to see if I can get into it.

• Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Your new profile pic @mademoiselle !!! Hahahah I just realised it now.

1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

The panty thief scene was funny. I wasn't happy too when the pervert got away with it due to being a first offender, but smart Omma bullied him so much so that he finally had to move. LOL. Go, Mum! I don't condone bullying but in this instance, I side with Omma because it's just creepy having to live at the same apartment knowing fully there is a panty pervert in the building!

I always like them showing bits of the past where we get to see how mum was a wild rebellious teenager.  There's still that feisty part to her and I love how she won't let anyone bully her. That was definitely important as she raised JH herself while trying to grow up too. Perhaps in some ways, having JinHee "saved" her & gave her life meaning and purpose. Since mum is an orphan herself, it must have taken a lot to look after  JH, put herself through school and become a physio. 

So far we haven't even seen Ahn Jae Wook's character. I am assuming he'll end up in the same clinic with Mum. While I do crave for a bit more of Park SH's scenes (where we get to understand him a bit more than just being JH's superior who dislikes her),  it's clear that Mum and daughter dynamics , their relationship and bond ,  anchor the show. I guess this is a woman-centric drama with probably some romance at the side. Fortunately I am enjoying their scenes and find it pretty heartwarming. 

I finally understood clearly why JH is not liked by her new colleagues. She raised a complaint against the police station she's working in now because of the child abuse case. I kind of understand where she came from because that little girl was so badly abused. But little did she know that the hands of the cops there were tied too. So there are always two sides to a story. However, I agree that the cops could have done more - social services could have been called in. Anyway , I loved it when she told Jae Won she'll be defiant in her one year there. :laugh:

@ktcjdrama @Alice Wonderland did you guys watch this yet?

• Like 3

On 7/23/2023 at 11:21 AM, ktcjdrama said:

Yes, I started yesterday... Haha, I love the mother-daughter duo... The mother's antics... :lmao2:

Mum is a riot. Love her. But I can definitely understand if JH suffers from 2nd hand embarrassment! :laugh:. Truly no holds barred here  

Spoiler

New stills ...JH and omma are quite similar in personality ( strong, vocal, stands up for what they believe)  ...that's why they can drive each other nuts but still be the best of friends.

F1zIp33aQAIPqOC?format=jpg&name=medium

F1zIfBkaMAACCsm?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 3

Episode 3

Gotta love Jeon Hye Jin's Omma's spunk! She's currently the main reason I'm watching this drama. I didn't like how the police team and social service/child protection agent reaction towards Jin Hee's concerns for the grandmother and grandchild. I can see where / how she would feel that way once she got home and was questioned by her mum. The way she is stemmed from her mother's education. Her frustration and dejection was immediately relatable. It's not that she didn't want to do something but she couldn't and weren't allowed to. That damn process/procedures/organisational limitations.

That said, I just love how all the mothers bonded together against the DV son. Haha! So funny and satisfying to watch.

Now, is the attacker the same person as the man in cap and hoodie?

Forgot to ask, could Ahn Jae Wook's character be the birth father of Jin Hee?

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

This is possibly my favorite drama at the moment. What really works for me is that it is a very decent combination of genres. Comedy, family , crime and potentially romance.  While the mother and daughter duo provides plenty of comedy and bickering, they are also able to cleverly link all the cases to them. And what I love is that the characters here have plenty of heart - doing all they can to help someone despite the limitations of the law. 

Also there's good character growth. Like in this week's episode, JH is coming to realise that she isn't the only one who gives a damn. Her colleagues seem indifferent but actually everyone has quietly done their part like in the abused grandma case. And JH too admits that she could have been more patient and perhaps trust the system. What was also surprising to her was who JW really is. He kept nagging her to toe the line and to not cause trouble giving her the impression that he just can't be bothered. But he is the one that really goes beyond the call of duty. It looks like coming here to this station was also a "demotion" for him since he apparently "stood up " to his superiors. I guess he too is equally "defiant" when it calls for it.

I also love that this week we were introduce to 3 characters - EunMi's bestie who saved EM from an abusive father and is like a second mum to JH. JH's bestie and first crush. I love that bit where they were all drinking together before mum grabbed oppa officer to join them. At least, it wasn't so lonely for EM raising JH alone since she had a "village" she could rely on. Finally , Ahn Jae Wook makes his appearance! What a way for JH to meet him...I am assuming he's the jerk dad that JH's aunt wants to strangle! :laugh:

Can't wait for next week to see how this will unfold. 

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

On 7/27/2023 at 12:09 PM, abs-oluteM said:

Finally , Ahn Jae Wook makes his appearance! What a way for JH to meet him...I am assuming he's the jerk dad that JH's aunt wants to strangle! 

I am thinking that he is is the father too... 

On 7/27/2023 at 12:09 PM, abs-oluteM said:

While the mother and daughter duo provides plenty of comedy and bickering, they are also able to cleverly link all the cases to them. And what I love is that the characters here have plenty of heart - doing all they can to help someone despite the limitations of the law. 

Yes, surprisingly the show is not just about silly antics and laughs, but also showing some relatable emotions and struggles. 

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love