Be My Dream Family 속아도 꿈결 [2021]

Caught up on Be My Dream Family, I think. It's good that Sang Min dumped his controlling gf and decided to stay with what he likes to do best rather than living what someone else thinks is a good life. Ultimately, he would have been miserable and probably made his partner miserable as well. She probably would have divorced him later even if he had subsumed himself to her idea of being normal. Nice to have SM looking happy and relaxed about drawing illustrations for a book. I wonder if the romance between SM and GE will actually start now?

All of the other couples are kind of frustrating to watch though, other than the oldest couple, the grandfather and grandmother. They still make a cute pair. However, the two older boys Sang Baek and Sang Gu both need a proper kick to get them to man up and stop being such idiots, albeit idiots in different ways. Sang Baek is nice, caring, emotional, etc., etc., but he's almost too much. I don't know what he used to do for a living, but seriously, shouldn't he be hustling for work rather than living off his wife? It's one thing if she's okay being the primary breadwinner for the family, but it's clear that she's struggling with it, and his ineffectual, occasional attempts to find work rather lacks sincere effort. And, if he can't find a job on his own, then he should just go work for his father and stop being such a whiny baby.

Sang Gu is just an utter jerk. I hope that MH lands on her feet without his sorry butt. Even if SG and Yoo Young weren't having an affair, I'm with MH in feeling her hurt that SG talks about being with someone he could talk to and was at his level. He basically disparaged MH yet again. Jerk.

As for Geu Roo and Shi Won. She's such an innocent really, never having had time to date, and only ever cultivating a crush on her boss, that she doesn't know what she feels or the cues that she's being given. As for Shi Won, he doesn't seem to know what he wants either. It may have started as something light-hearted, but he likes GR and doesn't want to leave her really, even as he's planning on leaving Korea. So, really, no obstacles to their romance other than their confused feelings over what they actually want.

Finally, Da Bal and Ji Wan, their story sometimes feels as if it's a slow drip. Their romance is really not registering much at all. It's clear that JW likes and respects DB, though not clear if his feelings go further than that, whereas DB clearly sees JW as a good neighbor and a good parent, and doesn't feel much beyond that.

As for the younger kids, including the married youngsters, their characters feel a bit wasted in this drama since they have so little to do other than be immature.

• Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
8 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

This is the couple I look forward to the most... but they don't get as much screen time as the older couples... sigh...

True. But they had to get through SM's story about choosing an ordinary life with his ex-gf first. They don't seem to be a makjang couple with a lot of obstacles in their way, so perhaps just a slow and steady romance development is what they are trying for? There is probably enough drama with the other couples. :lmao2:

• Haha 1

I had been thinking that Young Hye is being a bit of a terrible mother to In Seo, but I was glad to see that she finally came to her senses and actually talked with IS rather than ordering him to study or yelling at him. I really hated it when she would just railroad him without actually hearing anything he was telling her, and making it all about her instead of about him. I get it that she was very disappointed when MA became pregnant and thus couldn't go to Seoul University even though she had actually been accepted. However, after ignoring IS for all those years while she focused on her "smart" child, it felt rich for her to start insisting that IS study. IS seems to be a pretty self-aware kid and pretty reasonable at that, though it clearly hurt him to be so ignored by his parents while they focused on doing things for MA. So, it was nice that YH actually listened to IS and spoke with him finally rather than her normal theatrics.

Still waiting on SM to become more aware of GE, rather than just as a kid he used to teach a long time ago. GE is a very nice girl, and about the right temperament and speed for SM, so hope that there will be some (any) development there.

Still feel sorry for MH, and I'm glad that she walked out on SG, but she really should be more aware of her finances. I don't want MH to have to go back to SG because of her finances. I still can't believe how SG keeps torpedoing MH before she even gets a chance, and denigrating her both to her face as well as to everyone else. Grrr. Even if she can be a bit flighty and flaky, she's still a good person who had been pretty loyal to SG. 

• Like 1

FINALLY! SM and GA have taken a step forward, and I actually even like the way it happened. No big confession, just having fun talking, so much so that they both want to walk and talk some more, then a reason for SM to hold GA's hand. Awww. I admit I had to giggle watching them, but it was just so sweet!

As for SG, someone needs to kick him in the pants. And, no matter how silly MH is, I don't think she should go back to him. Blech.

• Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Nice to have this drama airing again. 
SM and GA are so sweet puppy love stage. 

since this a daily drama, I don’t have high expectations of everyone’s relationship going into deeper exploration.  

DaBal and YiJae’s Oppa romance has been skipping so lightly. Can barely recognize it. With kids involved it’s a lot of tip toeing. I predict it will be very nonchalant relationship for these two.

GR and JH are funny.  Probably will see closer on there relationship when the drama ends.

I hope In Seo finds what he wants to do in life.  
It would be nice see Sang Min find path of success. maybe the restaurant idea will be successful for him and family.

when Jong Hwa screamed at Sang Gu… that’s exactly I felt the same. Exasperated with that dude. Stay strong Min Hee!

• Clapping Hands 1

On 8/13/2021 at 6:06 AM, stroppyse said:

FINALLY! SM and GA have taken a step forward, and I actually even like the way it happened. No big confession, just having fun talking, so much so that they both want to walk and talk some more, then a reason for SM to hold GA's hand. Awww. I admit I had to giggle watching them, but it was just so sweet!

Ah yes... the ending of ep.85 was so sweet, I was smiling from ear to ear watching them. It's so cute watching SM wanting GE to spend more time in his small office. He can't stop smiling these days. And yes, they're so at a puppy love stage, but I think both having been in a failed relationship before is a good experience that they will treasure this new found love.

On 8/13/2021 at 6:06 AM, stroppyse said:

As for SG, someone needs to kick him in the pants. And, no matter how silly MH is, I don't think she should go back to him. Blech.

I agree. From early on, he's been getting on my nerves. He is just such arrogant haughty person, with family and with colleagues as well. He is only decent in front of Yoo Young, why?? Only a person like MH will love him, yet he doesn't know how precious that was. As for MH, initially I didn't like her that much but very soon, even before the marriage of the elders, she has become my most favourite character because she is so outspokenly honest, although it may not be what you want/like to hear. 

On 8/11/2021 at 12:20 PM, stroppyse said:

Young Hye is being a bit of a terrible mother to In Seo, but I was glad to see that she finally came to her senses and actually talked with IS rather than ordering him to study or yelling at him.

Took me quite a while to warm up to YH's character. Knowing her background, I can understand her desire for her children to make it out there successfully with a university degree. But these days, those are not guarantee anymore. And she really needs to wake up to the fact that even twins can be so different. YH is hard on everyone, including Kang Mo Ran at first. But did anyone notice she now was rather jealous that KMR is closer to MH because she called her by name? 

I too think that In Seo has been very dear son in the family, taking care of literally everyone else in the family, doing a lot of what Min Ha would not do. I was so happy and cheering that he has the courage to run away from that learning centre (dormitory?). His mother will soon see that In Seo is just not a text book smart person, but he is actually great in everything else. The driving lesson also proved that even smarty Heon can score high on the written test but is really bad when it comes to the actual driving. I was actually anticipating that Sang Baek will take up the offer to run the restaurant together with In Seo? He is good in cooking too and a hard worker. I still want him to finish school properly, but at his comfortable pace.

Speaking of Sang Baek, the actor Ryu Jin is actually the early actor I often had SLS with. I remember rooting for him quite a bit in Summer Scent and Baby Faced Beauty, LOL....

• Like 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

On 8/10/2021 at 3:10 AM, stroppyse said:

Sang Gu is just an utter jerk. I hope that MH lands on her feet without his sorry butt. Even if SG and Yoo Young weren't having an affair, I'm with MH in feeling her hurt that SG talks about being with someone he could talk to and was at his level. He basically disparaged MH yet again. Jerk.

He is a big Jerk . Smh  He got on my nerves too @ktcjdrama

• Like 2

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

3 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

agree. From early on, he's been getting on my nerves. He is just such arrogant haughty person, with family and with colleagues as well. He is only decent in front of Yoo Young, why??

Yes, totally arrogant. However, he's finally starting to miss MH. Perhaps he'll come to realize how MH is the only one who would love him so unreservedly as she does? Still, missing her isn't enough. He needs some hard lessons before he should be with anyone, much less MH.

As for MH, initially I didn't like her that much but very soon, even before the marriage of the elders, she has become my most favourite character because she is so outspokenly honest, although it may not be what you want/like to hear. 

She is a bit silly and flighty, but her total honesty is refreshing, though it can come across as mannerless. And, she never means anyone ill.

But did anyone notice she now was rather jealous that KMR is closer to MH because she called her by name? 

Right? I had to laugh when YH got jealous that KMR calls MH by name, but what about her. LOL

I think YH also means well, but she has a prickly personality and can take a while to come around. However, at least, she's not so stubborn that she isn't willing to think things through. I didn't like her that much at first, even while acknowledging how much she's been through. Even now, she's probably not my fave character, but I don't mind watching her scenes.

I was actually anticipating that Sang Baek will take up the offer to run the restaurant together with In Seo? He is good in cooking too and a hard worker. I still want him to finish school properly, but at his comfortable pace.

Oooh, that is a good idea actually, though IS still has to finish school. However, running a restaurant is a better offer than SB has had otherwise. Perhaps SB and YH could run it together if YH quits her job at the clinic? I think she would be great at running her own business.

In Seol may not have a head for studying, but he is very good with his hands and able to learn things very quickly. The traditional uni route probably isn't for him really. I think taking over his dad's restaurant (if SB accepts) could be fun for him as well.

Speaking of Sang Baek, the actor Ryu Jin is actually the early actor I often had SLS with. I remember rooting for him quite a bit in Summer Scent and Baby Faced Beauty, LOL....

This is my first time watching him. He's a good actor.

I'm still smiling over SM and GE. :heart:

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2021 at 1:15 AM, ktcjdrama said:

Woohoo... we finally got a proper kiss in this drama. And a nice BGM along with it too.

2 down, 1 more to go haha... 

Wait! There was a kiss? Am I behind on this drama, or did I somehow miss it? Who kissed? Which episode?

2 hours ago, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

SG and MH are back together. I don't like SG. He doesn't feel he did anything wrong.

I thought SG gave a nice apology (for SG anyway), plus he admitted that he loved MH and couldn't live without her. Heck, he even went to his knees to her. Given his behavior towards MH before, I thought that was a lot.

I think that the stepmother was able to make SG see how his behavior affects others, and how MH had had to put up with it for 20 years, getting hurt by his comments all along.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Wait! There was a kiss? Am I behind on this drama, or did I somehow miss it? Who kissed? Which episode?

Geu Ru and Si Won. At the very end of one of the recent episodes, when she finally acknowledged her feelings. I have to go check which episode. 

10 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

I think that the stepmother was able to make SG see how his behavior affects others, and how MH had had to put up with it for 20 years, getting hurt by his comments all along.

I love the way she made him see his interpersonal problem. That gentle talk at the dining table helped SG realized how sharp and awful his tongue is. Didn’t expect he would go on his knees when apologizing, but quite appropriate too. And later when he picked up MH, I love that she purposely made him open the car door and fasten the seat belt for her. LOL... 

• Haha 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

On 8/27/2021 at 8:53 AM, ktcjdrama said:

And later when he picked up MH, I love that she purposely made him open the car door and fasten the seat belt for her. LOL... 

Me, too! I was thinking "you go, girl!" when she did that. And when SG ask incredulously if she really expected him to do that, her little sniff and comment of wanting to see how much he was willing to change his behavior. :laugh: Very nice!

On 8/27/2021 at 8:53 AM, ktcjdrama said:

Geu Ru and Si Won. At the very end of one of the recent episodes, when she finally acknowledged her feelings. I have to go check which episode. 

Ooh, nice. I have to go looking for that episode now. How did I miss it? Unless it was while I was watching with my mother, and had to go get something. Anyway, thanks for the heads up!

Speaking of Si Won, the last time I saw him in a drama was in Hello! Miss which was like ages ago. He looks a bit different now, but still looks very boyish.

• Like 1

The cancer scenes break my heart. I started skipping these scenes too sad for me.

When everyone finds out they will be devastated 

she has place such healing bond on on Guems family and built strong relationships with the daughter in law…. Just too sad.  So I just focus on the happy scenes of other stories.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Mizv said:

The cancer scenes break my heart. I started skipping these scenes too sad for me.

When everyone finds out they will be devastated 

she has place such healing bond on on Guems family and built strong relationships with the daughter in law…. Just too sad.  So I just focus on the happy scenes of other stories.

I agree. It's going to be devastating for both families. She's the reason that the Geums are finally becoming a family rather than acting as if they can't stand each other and finding reasons not to be together. And, of course, she is the bedrock for her family.

I like the scene where she talks to the Geum Father before they got married to tell him about her prognosis, and that the cancer could come back, and that would mean more suffering for him. Even if he didn't think it would come back, it's to his credit that he still wanted to marry her even if the cancer did come back.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

The drama is finished... Such a beautiful ending! :love: It is definitely one of the best family dramas that I’ve watched. I am surely going to miss this blended family. 

I’ve been watching daily but usually during a rather tight window of time that I wasn’t able to come post comments regularly. Just a quick one for now ~ I had dreaded the cancer trope and honestly been proceeding with new episodes warily for melo stuff. But now I can say that the cancer was written in very nicely to bring the children and the two families together. I almost doubted that the story will wrap up well given that there are many unresolved arcs with a couple of episodes left. But with a one year time jump, everything was resolved nicely and in a natural way. I really love how the drama is written. Will look forward to this writer’s next drama. 

@stroppyse I understand that the literal meaning of this drama’s title is not Be My Dream Family, so what is it actually? And how does it relate to the story as a whole? 

• Like 1

MTDzeiV.gif