The Tomorrow War [ 2021]

The Tomorrow War Review 

Z-bDYonOK2eo2phdWmP4_dRDewVa5zl8o_4QWwn7

A man is drafted to fight in a future war where the fate of humanity relies on his ability to confront his past.

Initial release: July 21, 2021 (Indonesia)

Release Date:  July 2,2021 

Director: Chris McKay

Screenplay: Zach Dean

Cinematography: Larry Fong

Production companies: Skydance Media, 

Paramount Pictures Studios, Phantom Four Films, More

Cast

Chris Pratt

Yvonne Strahovski

Betty Gilpin

Seychelle Gabriel

Keith Powers 

J.K. Simmons

Jasmine Matthews 

Mike Mitchell 
Theo Von

Sam Richardson

Kiley Casciano

Ryan Keira Armstrong

Mart Lynn Rajskub

Edwin Hodge 

and more 

@Darkarcana

• Like 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

It starts off on the Christmas holiday being celebrated.  MC ( Chis Pratt)  gets home and os trying to get this project started for the military since he is a vet. But his plan was rejected due to lack of experience and it him real hard in his self esteem. The fact his self esteem took this blow will makes sense to his en strangement to his family when travels to the future.  Alien invasion seems to be a plait that never gets old. It was good movie but using a little bit of comedy in this type of genre was stupid in my opinion. 
Let me know if you guys love it . 

Story 9 

Acting  8

• Like 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

Just now, stroppyse said:

@UnniSara, where did you watch this movie? Given that it stars Chris Pratt, I would expect there to be some comedy.  But, you didn't think the comedy was done well?

I watched it on Amazon Prime @stroppyse

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally watched this drama. I enjoyed it, but didn't love it. It's almost a bit too much, trying too hard. It's an alien invasion action movie that turns into a climate change fable, along with a movie about families who are dysfunctional yet find ways to try to heal each other. It makes the movie a bit jarring at times as it tries to shoehorn in so much. As such, I think the writing could have been better. The twists aren't really that much of a twist, especially given that this has an element of time travel in it, so it felt a bit inevitable and a bit tired. And the coincidences are telegraphed very far in advance.

Chris Pratt is his usual charming self as Dan Forester (spelled with 1 "r")  the disappointed vet who is unable to fulfill his project, though we don't actually get to know what the project is. However, we do find out that he's a science teacher with a special student who becomes a critical source of expert knowledge later on.

On one quiet day, during a football match, soldiers from the future land on the pitch, saying that they are in a desperate fight for the survival of humanity and they need more soldiers. Immediately, people are recruited and sent to the future to fight the White Spikes, an alien species with ravenous appetites who are literally eating all biological species on earth including the humans.

At this point, it has echoes of Jurassic Park in it with a touch of Star Lord in it, especially since Dan Forester has daddy issues as well. As such, this movie doesn't seem to be much of a stretch for Chris Pratt.

The big question in the movie has to do with how the aliens were able to invade the earth so quickly and stealthily, catching everyone by surprise, especially since there is nothing stealthy about the White Spikes. Rather, the White Spikes only have 2 instincts: eat and protect their Queen Spike.

The movie goes on to answer that question, with Dan coming face to face with his original fate of a disappointed, bitter man who dies alone, but then moving to make amends with his daughter and then with his estranged father. Dan, his father, and the other time warrior buddies that Dan makes go on to figure out the mystery of the White Spikes and to defeat them.

This movie lacks any subtlety, and is best when it's in full action romp. Despite the ravenous aliens, it's not all that scary nor all that thoughtful, though it tries to be. Still, it's not a bad way to spend a little time on a rainy night with some popcorn.

Agree that the acting is good with a solid cast, even if Chris Pratt is playing almost a stereotype of a role. If I had to rate it:

Plot 6/10   Mostly because the writing could have been better.

Acting 8/10

Production Values 7/10  Still think some of the scenes borrow from velociraptors.

Re-Watch Value 3/10  Enjoyable the first time, however, not sure it's something I want to re-watch now I know the twists and the ending. Still, won't say never.

• Clapping Hands 1
On 9/2/2021 at 2:03 AM, stroppyse said:

Agree that the acting is good with a solid cast, even if Chris Pratt is  playing almost a stereotype of a role. If I had to rate it:

Due to being obsessed with Sci movies , I tend to rate them a bit high. @stroppyse   Great review and explained it better than I can. lol

After watching it , I was on a high and I actually finished it  by watching the whold movie. I tend to fast foward a lot of movies once I lose interest. 

• Haha 1