Work Later Drink Now 술꾼도시여자들 [2022-2023]

I really missed these wild girls... They are really just different and did have crazy methods. However since their craziness is also sometimes filled with their sincerity, you can't help but feel awed looking at them. 

Ep 1 and 2 is a continuation from the last part in season 1. Honestly because I watched so many dramas I tend to forget or worse mixed up the plots inside my head. I couldn't remember clearly what happened at the end of season 1, but I remembered that Ji Yeon was having surgery for her cancer and it's a successful one. Season 2 started few days (or maybe weeks?) after that, when she has to receive chemotherapy after the surgery. Feeling the afraid of the negative effects the chemo will do to her body (especially her hair), she went off without telling anyone (but still update her whereabouts on her sns :laugh:) trying to enjoy her last happy days before she has to get the courage and stay for the chemotherapy. I understood her fear because she also lost her mother because of cancer and she knew what her mother has to go through. Her friends being the very true friends to ride or die stuck to her side and help her to enjoy her days. However when she's ready for her next check up and possible admittance to hospital, the doc informed that actually she's getting better even without any chemo session done. They then decided to help JY recover with nature help. Which they really did by living in wild for months and ended up probably about 2 years. 

Things that happened in the mountain made me laugh, giggle and can't stop smiling. Without the three of them committed to do everything together, it would probably won't happen or they won't stay strong for 2 years and even help JY to get better. But they did it. And after the doc cleared JY and deemed her healthy enough, our girls finally reunited with their beloved alcohol.. :Party01:

Now another crazy chapter will finally start :GrowDerp:

• Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

On 12/11/2022 at 9:47 PM, LaLa said:

Things that happened in the mountain made me laugh, giggle and can't stop smiling. Without the three of them committed to do everything together, it would probably won't happen or they won't stay strong for 2 years and even help JY to get better. But they did it. And after the doc cleared JY and deemed her healthy enough, our girls finally reunited with their beloved alcohol.. :Party01:

Honestly they needed those two years...not just for JY but for their poor livers & kidneys which must be needing the break from all the alcohol that they consume. What I did love from the first two episodes is that they didn't gloss over Ji Yeon's condition and addressed it. Their love & bond were clearly on display when the other two gave up everything to help JY get better. I appreciate that they addressed the difficulties they encountered because it served as a reminder that not everything is so rosy or romantic all the time.

Eps 3 & 4 - the girls are back & finding challenges as they readjust to city life.  JG decides to do deliveries, JY joins a new yoga centre and So Hee returns to her previous job. The struggle for SH was the main focus as she is rather out of touch with what's going on. But bless our dear PD Kang and the rest of the team for staying loyal to her and not finding another writer for the past 2 years. Their belief in her helped her at the end of the day to regain her own confidence. Special mention for PD Kang who as always does above & beyond to rescue them in their drunken state. Peak comedy when he had to cover up for them as they answered nature's call (jn a drunken state)  in the middle of their apartment gardens.  Kang still likes SH (so clear when he & SH met with her rock singer ex boyfriend) , and it will remain to be seen how far this will progress in S2.

A pleasant but expected surprise was seeing Yoon Si Yoon in these episodes. I have been looking forward to his scenes ever since I found out he will join the cast. I love the short moments he had with JG. I know JG tends to guard her heart but Mr Paperman I believe will be able to break those walls she's put up. 

• Like 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

@abs-oluteM I too just finished the 3 & 4 episodes. The girls really sold everything their own for those 2 years and now they started again together in a small apartment but because they're so used living in the small tent, they didn't want to use a room as of yet. They're still adjusting their city life with how light weight they have become after the long detox inside the woods and they more appreciative to the home cooked meals first before even finishing the first glass of beer. Back then they were eating well but the drinking consumption was way more a lot than food. 

PD Kang difference is that he looks clean and I like this version than the his dirty look. (maybe because Si Won filmed it together with Love is For Suckers?) He's definitely still have feelings for SH. I forgot what was their relationship in season 1? Just colleague with benefits or they made it official? :thinking: I laughed so hard when they answered the nature call literally in nature and PD Kang was out of his mind and tried really hard to cover it. With blanket and even made some noise. Bless his heart. 

With the new Yoga center, hmm will there be a love line with the director brother? The director too didn't talk like a calm person when she's in the mode of director while she's talking with his brother. She's kind of protective about him by blocking JY access to even have small talk, no? It does nice to see him relax and smile without being cold and stiff all the time about that fart incident. 

And yes, agree with you about YSY character. I was happy that he started to be more active with JG. I think JG missed being a teacher. She chose a solitude life and did origami because she's still in pain due to her last student's death and origami clearly became a way for her to remind it. I guess living in the forest for two years not only heal JY but also JG in a way. Would her old self even bother to help a ghost and her unfinished desire with that sculpture? (The last additional was 18++ oh my hahaha) I really hope she wouldn't pick up her old habit of smoking tough. Drinking is fine because it's like a part their blood system I guess. 

Preview for ep 5 & 6

I'll just share the summary instead of word by word translation because of the possible misleading:

The next episode will be about their ' mother's ' story (based on the clip title) JG meets her mom on the road and I guess by the surprised reaction of mom's friend, she never talked about JG. JG updates her life after back to city; she didn't origami any longer and she earns money by doing delivery and another part time job. JY goes somewhere and the director's bro offer her a ride and the won't say no. That night when they meet up as usual, JG mom strangely calls JG directly to her phone instead of the others and she screams her head off at JG blaming something JG did? We will also see JY past memory and her mother's death anniversary. 

It will be a little heavy I guess.. hmmm

• Thanks 1

Currently Watching List:

K-variety: 

On 12/17/2022 at 10:51 PM, LaLa said:

Just colleague with benefits or they made it official? :thinking: I laughed so hard when they answered the nature call literally in nature and PD Kang was out of his mind and tried really hard to cover it. With blanket and even made some noise. Bless his heart. 

I don't even think its colleagues with benefits. Think it was just a one time thing but Kang PD does like her though her feelings are little unclear. I do think she likes him but I don't think she wants to confront those feelings. 

On 12/17/2022 at 10:51 PM, LaLa said:

With the new Yoga center, hmm will there be a love line with the director brother?

From what I saw on the trailer, her love line will be with Son Ho Jun . Yet to see him , I assume he'll have a small role since he's busy filming for First Responders. 

• Like 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

On 12/19/2022 at 8:36 PM, abs-oluteM said:

I don't even think its colleagues with benefits. Think it was just a one time thing but Kang PD does like her though her feelings are little unclear. I do think she likes him but I don't think she wants to confront those feelings.

Or SH might not have the right time to process her feelings for PD Kang. He's definitely into her but at that time, she had to deal with her father's funeral and then JY cancer surgery. Not to mention she's off to forest for the natural therapy for JY cancer post surgery treatment. But since he's now always around her, helping her friends and her whenever they got drunk, sooner or later she will address her feelings for him. 

On 12/19/2022 at 8:36 PM, abs-oluteM said:

From what I saw on the trailer, her love line will be with Son Ho Jun . Yet to see him , I assume he'll have a small role since he's busy filming for First Responders. 

Yeah that camera director isn't that active to handle JY. And Ho Jun might appear near the end since he's busy with his schedule. 

Ep 5 and 6 are about the mother's story. Mostly about JY and JG with small SH part because I think we got her family story in season 1. And we also got a small part of PD Kang little childhood story too. And JY possible father. Don't tell me they're going to link the Yoga Director and her brother and JY half siblings :thinking:

• Insightful 1

Currently Watching List:

K-variety: 

@LaLa the story of JY & her mother was pretty moving for me . I understand why JY seems like she’s on another planet sometimes 😆…like she’s always so positive. It’s how her mum raised her to be optimistic- instead of being bitter ( despite their hardships) , mum wanted her to have that cotton candy life ! I think that has helped JY weather through all the difficulties she’s faced . And am amazed at how the mum had so much foresight with buying all that alcohol, I believe JY will never have to worry about money .

ooooo it didn’t cross my mind that Yoga boss & JY could be half siblings . But this is possible given they are bringing up some history of JY’s father. 

As to PD Kang , he’s just the sweetest. He’s become the girls’ guardian angel each time they get drunk . He was even going to help JG pay for the Bentley damage . It’s clear this is because of So Hee. - his feelings for her have been pretty consistent. 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 8:15 PM, abs-oluteM said:

ooooo it didn’t cross my mind that Yoga boss & JY could be half siblings . But this is possible given they are bringing up some history of JY’s father. 

It's just a small speculation on my part. I haven't read the original work so I didn't know if it's true or not. But since we got flashback the supposed father is attending the same singing competition that JY attended with a small baby in the audience, I couldn't help but to think that way. It won't change the fact that the girls are her family by bond too. They're just too thick to say they're not. 

JY mother's really have a good intuition in alcohol. She even could predict the future market. I guess it's because she also enjoyed it and knew the joy of drinking alcohol when you're down and pretty much the drinking culture in SK. And about how she raised JY, I think she didn't want JY to have some insecure because she's raised by a single mother and never knowing about her father existence. When she's young it must be difficult, but since she has grown up, I think JY knew the reason and just didn't care a lot about that aspect. She's happy with her mother. 

On 12/26/2022 at 8:15 PM, abs-oluteM said:

As to PD Kang , he’s just the sweetest. He’s become the girls’ guardian angel each time they get drunk . He was even going to help JG pay for the Bentley damage . It’s clear this is because of So Hee. - his feelings for her have been pretty consistent

JG and JY have pretty much accepted him and given their approval for Kang as SH bf I think. Especially since they've done everything embarrassingly possible in front of him, they have nothing more to hide :laugh: His low tolerance in alcohol might be related with his mother tough. Did his mom pass away when she almost drank the whole bottle back then? The bottle with water was inside the crate that was bought by JY mom.. 

Upcoming episodes we will see more YSY character and JG bonding. Oh and teacher JG also made a short comeback while SH has to face her inner feelings for PD Kang. When will SHJ appear :thinking:

• Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching List:

K-variety: 

Hello @LaLa and @abs-oluteM, I am playing catch up with this drama! Currently on Episode 4 and binging my way through the latest episode. I am so happy to see that Season 2 continues to uphold the quality of Season 1! The girls are as crazy and relatable as always. I think Lala said it best here.

On 12/11/2022 at 9:47 PM, LaLa said:

I really missed these wild girls... They are really just different and did have crazy methods. However since their craziness is also sometimes filled with their sincerity, you can't help but feel awed looking at them. 

Seeing them work so hard at coming back to their jobs after the two years away feels like our return to the office or trying to get used to new jobs in difficult times. Looking forward to how their stories continue to unfold!

• Like 1
  • Party! 1

Hello @Jane Glad to see you enjoying the series as well.  @abs-oluteMwe're no longer alone between the two of us xD

Do watch on your pace Jane because this show is just that fast and make you didn't realise how short it was when it finished...

Ep 7 and 8 are showing us how the girls are maturing like a fine alcohol (I almost never drink so I didn't know the real taste of wine or alcohol, but there's a saying about aging like a fine wine and I took it from there). I was laughing aloud at the director drunken crazy antics and how JY tried to tame her. But because they have the same interest in Yoga, they really did it in the middle of the road and I am just amazed how the director could stay balance despite being drunk. JY calm and composed voice actually soothe the director's drunken mind and JY could get through her inner mind. About her destroying a video tape of competition something made me still suspicious about JY and her probably relationship in childhood (well maybe not as sisters but maybe classmates at least?). If we're shown about her past, will we addressed it as well? 

And true to my suspicions about Director Kang past, it's actually sad how he tried to damage his body just because he didn't want his father to see his mother in him. And for SH to keep helping him despite her drunken state both in the past and present time. Maybe they're really fated to have connection. 

Ep 8 is actually funny about thr girls trying to be a good sitter for the baby after the previous nights they're bad talking about their mother. The mother's story is also kinda sad but understandable. She's tired enough from taking care the baby alone and with no help and in the end being left by her husband must be so hurtful for her. I'm glad the girls open their arm for her to help with the depression and offering their ears and homes for her and her baby. 

@abs-oluteMwin for these two episodes. Si won abs, YSY arms :MewGiggle:

Ep 9 and 10 preview :psweatduck:

SHJ is finally appeared but why the JG and JY is fighting? I guess it's more about the unresolved issues between them and SH no longer can play the referee or side with either one of them. 

• Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching List:

K-variety: 

9 hours ago, LaLa said:

Do watch on your pace Jane because this show is just that fast and make you didn't realise how short it was when it finished...

I am all caught up, thank you Long Weekend!

I really like the philosophy behind how alcohol comes to mean different things to different people. How it is not about the amount you are drinking but the spirit that you are drinking it. The little history lesson on soju through JY's mother was interesting! She would hate the fruity flavoured soju so much!

9 hours ago, LaLa said:

I'm glad the girls open their arm for her to help with the depression and offering their ears and homes for her and her baby. 

It's nice how they show the girls being good influences to others! Again, it seems like part of the drama's attempt to say that not all heavy drinkers are bad people. Also the baby is so cute! He deserves an award honestly HAHAH

• Like 1
  • Star Struck 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

10 hours ago, LaLa said:

@abs-oluteMwin for these two episodes. Si won abs, YSY arms :MewGiggle:

Oh yes. Such a blessing for my eyes. :hug:I laughed especially at the scene where the 3 girls were more amazed about his arms than the fact that the man just put a burpee cloth on his shoulder to soothe the baby. LOL!!! 

@Jane So awesome that you're watching this with us. I love this show. On the surface , it may come across like a slapstick sort of comedy - 3 crazy drunkard girls who have livers or kidneys that are made of steel or something ( like honestly , the amount of alcohol they consume is not something I'd recommend). But every episode I find something that I can relate to and I feel so touched. 

The story of the young mother hit home in some ways. I can understand the loneliness and stress of being a first time mum. While I had a great support system , it seems to me that she didn't . Post natal depression may have been at play there & she didn't have an outlet or someone she could get help or advice from. Of course it didn't help that the hubby left her to fend for herself. The girls are indeed maturing like you say @LaLa because they realise that what the mother truly needed wasn't time away from the baby ( as important as I think that is ). But that she needed to know that she had a village she could count on. Sometimes knowing that you are not alone, is enough to help you endure the difficult times.

Kang PD's backstory was so sad too. I am really glad that SH and Kang PD had that talk in the motel ( ahahah even if that means no bed scene) because I wanted to find out more about him since SHis slowly falling for him. In fact the preview with him meeting her mother is very promising. 

Now the mystery still remains ...what is Mr Nice Paper's real name? I think he's good for JG. JG is so tsundere and needs someone gentle who can draw her out the way he does.  

10 hours ago, LaLa said:

I guess it's more about the unresolved issues between them and SH no longer can play the referee or side with either one of them. 

Could they have fought over a guy before when they were younger? 

• Like 2

I will comment up to eps 9 as it is late but I just wanna say that Kang PD is such a gem. Who knew he has  been  secretly taking care of SH's mum for the last couple of years while SH went to the mountains. While I know supporting JY was important, SH forgot that her mum too was mourning and in much grief. If Kang PD hadn't realised it, mum would have become depressed. That said, I am glad that SH finally gave in to her feelings for him. I don't know if that kiss would mean that they will become official but SH better not let go of Kang PD. 

As to JG and JY's feud...that is still a mystery to me. I wonder why JY is ignoring JG ...I will comment after I watch eps 10. Feel a bit sorry for Mr Nice Paper because JG's emotional wall is not easy to bring down. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 1:05 AM, abs-oluteM said:

As to JG and JY's feud...that is still a mystery to me. I wonder why JY is ignoring JG ...I will comment after I watch eps 10. Feel a bit sorry for Mr Nice Paper because JG's emotional wall is not easy to bring down.

I was so annoyed with JY in eps 10. I have always been okay with her hyper antics and even appreciate her off-beat way of viewing things and life. I liked that she took control of her cancer & has adopted that YOLO attitude . But what she did to JG or has been doing to JG with regards to JG's potential boyfriends isn't what I consider as "looking out for your friend". In college she's flirt with guys that JG may have interest in to see if they would actually bite the bait - her way of protecting clueless JG. I don't agree with this as JG is capable of judging people herself. Then with Mr Nice Paper, JY realises that he is the real deal and does the same thing . But this time it is because she knows how good he is for her and that she would actually end up losing JG. Come on Ji Yeon. This is not for JG's sake but your own. Rather selfish IMO.

And though I am always rooting for JG to get together with Mr Nice Paper, I had mixed feelings when she told him she wants to date. Not that she shouldn't but it came as a result of her anger towards JY . I would have wanted her to choose to date him because she had thought through things and that she sees his value. 

Preview.

I am all done ....

The trio reunited without any dramatic confrontation - which I think is quite reflective of RL. I have 3 girls that I have been BFF with since my teens, and our dynamics are very similar to these girls. Just like them,  we have seen each other through the good and bad times. Had plenty of sweet memories but there were also couple of times when there was a fallout within the group. But it didn't take long for us to reconnect and each time we just started chatting like nothing happened. It wasn't that we were sweeping the issues under the rug, but being friends for so long , I think we kind of understood & forgave each other without saying a word. 

I like the one year time jump where the girls got a chance to be away from each other. I think in their case , these girls were a little too dependent on each other to the point where I felt they were stuck at their stations in life. They needed time apart to grow , and to see things from new perspectives. And the beauty of such strong friendships is that time & distance doesn't weaken the bond between them.

I am glad that S2 also allowed the romantic ships to sail. So Hee and PD Kang have come a long way from being FWB :D to where they are. Though from my perspective , these two have always liked each other from the start, it was necessary for them to realise that too. PD Kang's backstory was also revealed and dealt with this season. And one of the highlight for me was finding out how he had been looking after SH's mum while SH was away.  JG and Mr Nicepaper are the perfect match. I feel that they are the sort of people who would not live the "normal" life and only they would understand each other's life choices which for most people would be rather off the beaten track. As to JY... I am not sure what to make her polygamous relationship. But if there was anyone who would be open to it , it would be her. I think more importantly for JY is that she finally had some closure with regards to her father. 

I had wondered if I would have wanted another season but I think I do ...I could watch this girls continue to do life. Anyway with the ending where SH was falling and possibly breaking her back, am sure there will be more material for S3.

@Jane @LaLa did you girls finish this? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

@Jane @LaLa did you girls finish this?

I purposely postponed watching ep 9 and 10 2 weeks ago and keep it to binge watch with ep 11 and 12. 

The silent treatment, the fight and the distance. Those things were needed for each girls to address their own issues and to make them realise just how important each other presence in their daily life that they might have taken it for granted. The relationship they build outside their circle also gave them new perspectives to be grateful about their relationship. It's to see that they're just so real.

The silent treatment between JY and JG and finally they fought, hit and said hurtful things towards eachother in ep 9 to 10. Both knew that WJ presence might bring a change to JG life. JY realized it sooner than JG because despite her loud and big actions, she's quite observant with her friends. I agree with Yoga director and so glad for her telling JY about her methods in testing the suitable man in JG life. It's not her place to do the evaluation. Or at least if she really wanted to check that, she needed to clear it up with JG. Not letting her to misunderstood her actions as hitting up the men that she's interested. JG too because of this incident started to listen to her heart rather than just only thinking about it. It's sweet of WJ in showing his appreciation of JG and made her feel needed. She kind of lost her sense of living because of the past incident when she's a teacher and also because of her long term fight with her mother. 

I also like the friendship that JY build with the Kim siblings. (Okay my theory about them being half siblings were false. But when JY scolded both because of their arguements, imo she gave feels like an eldest sister scolding her younger siblings xD). She helped Kim siblings to understand each other more and admitting the pain that they have caused and harm to each other. Other than just silent treatment and being a tsundere when they're alone with JY. 

PD Kang and SH. It's nice to see that SH realised about her feelings. I think Kang is actually already know about his feelings for SH isn't just lust or FWB things but he's really care about her. For him taking care of her mother when she was out of touch in the woods was really sweet. He knew the pain of losing a family and didn't want the mother to lost herself in grief. And in return SH ready to embrace every aspects in his life and his pain shows that she's not just like him but actually love him enough to care and understand about his well being. It's not easy to confront your supposed to be father in law who's already a bad alcoholic and with dementia too who gave traumatic stress to the man you love, but with her actions, maybe one day PD Kang might really get out of the self inflict harm he did to himself because of the pain from his childhood. 

Like I said before in season 1, I wished I could have such a tight and beautiful friendship too in the real life like what JY, SH and JG have. 

2 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I had wondered if I would have wanted another season but I think I do ...I could watch this girls continue to do life. Anyway with the ending where SH was falling and possibly breaking her back, am sure there will be more material for S3

I don't know about the possibility of season 3. I think season 2 was actually in part of the preparation during the season 1. The production probably wanted to see the public reactions of season 1 first before deciding the season 2 story. Thankfully they got the hot response they wanted and move on to season 2 production. I knew they will probably address about WJ (Mr paper) and his possible relationship with JG, SH and Kang PD relationship and probably about JY settling down (with her ex bf who is widower). I was surprised actually when they introduced new characters and told us about JY cancer post treatment, past stories of JY and PD Kang. But those stories are actually make more sense and needed to make the story rich. I'm glad in season 2 we were shown that the girls are indeed human who go through up and down and their friendship and bond are actually the source of strength for them to face the life burden, not just the booze. In season 1 they're drinking so much that I think it's not possible unless they have prosthetic liver and stomach because of the amount of alcohol they consume every night and even during the day. 

I won't complain is there's season 3, because watching the girls are just fun, but I think I am satisfied with how they wrapped season 2. I might rewatch this with ff button when I am dramaless in the future. 

• Star Struck 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching List:

K-variety: