Doctor Slump 닥터슬럼프 [2024]

@mademoiselle @peperomia Oh my ...don't tell me the friend has been sabotaging him all this while. That so called anesthetist (Dr Kang) must have been paid by the friend . Arrgh.  TBH the pens were pretty visible right? 

4 hours ago, peperomia said:

Strangely, I really like how the show's tone teeters between being super lighthearted/funny but then brings on all the emotions. It hits the right notes of a rom-com but has some slice of life feels. I think this helps connects viewers with the leads.

Yes 100%. Just as I was laughing my head off , the drama reigns you in to reality - perhaps helping us to experience what the characters are feeling. That in spite of the momentary fun they are having, they still have plenty of black clouds over them. Anyway , I do love the development between the leads so far...their lives crossed at the right point when they most needed someone who could understand their predicaments. 

I was surprised that Dr Origami was a single dad. I guess that could be a good common ground for him and Hong Ran who also has a son. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Did not expect PSH to be such good friends with Hyeri. From this video, it feels like the real life personalities of the leads are very similar to the ones in the drama. PHS is just as animated and PSH has this reservedness to her.

They appeared in Hyeri's YT talk show to promote the drama

• Like 1
  • Star Struck 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

I think when it comes to comedy, Park Hyung Sik tends to become more expressive and exaggerated in performances, especially he's given the green light to improvise and ad-lib...? He has done that for Strong Woman and we see the same for Dr. Slump whereas in Happiness and sageuk, he isn't as expressive due to the roles and stories. 

My fave expression from Dr. Slump was when he tried to cover Ha Neul with his coat and he completely froze in that scene. Hahaha! That was exaggerating, but funny as hell.

I'm not deeply invested in both characters or story yet. At this point, I've more sympathy on Jeong Woo because his situation is way more dire, but yet I love how cheerful he still is, although I believe he's suffering inside. Still, he is an optimistic person. And even though his situation is worse, he's a sweetie for giving unconditional support to Ha Neul.

• Clapping Hands 2
18 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Is it him? I did suspect him, too, but couldn't find the reason why he would do that to Jeong Woo. If it's one of Jeong Woo's friends, that's just evil. Or, he's out for revenge — like, can't helped not going makjang here — he's born out of wedlock (I'm channelling that drama you watch... by Na In Woo...hahaha!)

I'm certain the guy is Jeong Woo's "hyung" friend, Kyung Min. He just looks different without his glasses and all wet. LOL. Now that I think about it more, it was Kyung Min who referred lawyers for Jeong Woo's trial. He's suspect for sure. As far as the motive, we'll see what it is. I thought he could be simply jealous or maybe an illegitimate son too. (Funny that you mentioned the drama, Longing for You. I kept thinking about it because the actress who played Na In Woo's mom there is playing Ha Neul's mom here. She has a similar accent too. LOL.)

15 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I was surprised that Dr Origami was a single dad. I guess that could be a good common ground for him and Hong Ran who also has a son. 

I was surprised too (in a good way). I really like that there could be a potential romance with Hong Ran who also has a child. 

4 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I'm not deeply invested in both characters or story yet. At this point, I've more sympathy on Jeong Woo because his situation is way more dire, but yet I love how cheerful he still is, although I believe he's suffering inside. Still, he is an optimistic person. And even though his situation is worse, he's a sweetie for giving unconditional support to Ha Neul.

What you highlighted about Jeong Woo's nature/disposition is primarily why I'm enjoying the show so far. His character is refreshing compared to the common tsundere male leads who have some kind of past trauma and are prickly at first. Given his dire situation and lack of family support, he's remains cheerful and kind. I like his attitude toward life.

Maybe the show's tone is mirroring my current mood so it's hitting the right spots for me. Though I am a little worried if there's enough content to carry the show for 16 episodes. We shall see...

Edited by peperomia
  • Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

I’m here!! Had almost forgotten that this drama had started until I turned on Netflix last week. I’m rather enjoying this drama too - had not enjoyed the last few dramas Park Hyungsik was in (somehow the characters and pairings weren’t quite so appealing). I do like it (like most of you too) when his character has a balance of the serious and the light. 

Surprised too that the Park Shinhye character pairing seems also to be working quite nicely. She’s such a total opposite of Jeongwoo. I actually feel that Jeongwoo is actually the bright one - he has a balanced personality and is not just all about books. Haneul on the other hand is very hardworking. She certainly is a bit of a nerd and perhaps trapped in the circumstances of being less rich, but she’s mostly book smart. Nevertheless the characters strangely complement each other and there’s something that works between them. 

Dr Origami, for being one of the main characters, hasn’t appeared much yet. I’m still wondering what his role is in this motley crew of personalities. I can see how Haneul will help in proving Jeongwoo’s innocence, and at this moment  Hongran is pretty much just Haneul’s good friend. But what about Daeyeong? What’s his role in all of this? Why would he even be a friend to Jeongwoo?

That last scene. I too was wondering if that’s the so called good friend who immediately helped him to hire a legal team. I actually wondered where this dude came from and why he would do that for Jeongwoo. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 1

I love episode 5. For a couple who's not yet a couple , they sure go on many trips don't they ? :laugh:. The show is doing well balancing the funny & tropey moments with some heartfelt conversations and narrations. It doesn't get to sappy but just enough for you to remember these are the lowest moments in their lives.   I just think this is what they both need the most - to be away from all the expectations that have been put  on them. Both providing comfort to each other - the sort of understanding and encouragement only someone in a similar predicament and situation can give. 

It was so funny and embarrassing when her entire family heard asking Jung Woo if he liked her, only to be rejected. And I am glad that JW told her at the end that he just couldn't be open to her because of he cannot afford to be or rather should not be happy. I was angry that Kyung Min put that thought in his head. That so called hyung is like a big red flag that I hope JW can spot soon. Anyway, it was good she realised that he's got PTSD. JW always puts up this happy go lucky front that I don't think he realises he needs to deal with this.

And bonus was having Dr Origami/ Insect Catcher meet subscriber #6. So cute - look forward to more of their interactions. 

Hahahah LSK is his ex. 

PS24021100060.jpg

• Like 1
  • Star Struck 1

3 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I was angry that Kyung Min put that thought in his head. That so called hyung is like a big red flag that I hope JW can spot soon.

Yeah!!! I was thinking why would he say that, especially if he is supposed to believe Jung Woo is innocent. Weren't there more spy camera in the clinic other than the two? Maybe I'm mistaken, but there is definitely one more in Jung Woo's room.

I'm glad we had more focus on Jung Woo in this episode. He's been so supportive and sweet to Ha Neul, but it's time he himself receive some help. Although unintentionally, he's been seeing all of Ha Neul's missteps and she is opening up to him, but he himself hasn't been honest and open with her. I'm glad she realised that and hopefully he could lean on her more in the episode to come, because his problem(s) are definitely more serious. Not insinuating her depression isn't, but she has acknowledged, seek help and has family's support whereas he had none, and his PSTD affects his doctor career for the rest of his life if he doesn't seek help or get over it. 

• Clapping Hands 2
19 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Weren't there more spy camera in the clinic other than the two? Maybe I'm mistaken, but there is definitely one more in Jung Woo's room.

It doesn't seem so. But looks like HaNeul finally found the one in his room!

Another good episode with some sincere conversations between the leads. I think why kdramas somehow do better in the romance department for me ( at least the modern day ones) compared to cdramas (with exceptions)  is that the conversations feel like actual conversations rather than trying to fill the audience in on the plot and the story. And definitely less cringey :laugh:. Like even when the leads let each other know what they are going through or how they feel about the other person, some things are left unsaid and it doesn't go overboard. 

At this point , I am very appreciative that HN and JW have been quite transparent about their feelings and their personal struggles. JW , especially needed someone to tell him that he should seek professional help, and I am glad HN encouraged him to do so. JW's initial response is quite normal - I know it is still hard for people to go for counselling for mental health issues or to even admit they need help that way. So I am glad he changed his mind the next day and went to see a psychiatrist. 

I am itching for more of Dr Origami  scenes with Hong Ran. They are so cute and started off in the most hilarious way. Considering how defensive he is of JW, I would like to see why he has such a soft spot for the latter. Wonder when will they cross path? 

• Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

I'm surprised both of them are so honest with one another about their feelings. Technically, they have already confessed. I'm actually unsure whether they needed to hold off dating each other because they both have mental issues and problems to deal with. Wouldn't love / dating potentially help them overcome it?

From Ha Neul's narration, I find the cause of her depression stemmed from her feeling let down by the time and effort she spent on "giving", but she didn't feel rewarded, especially in career progression. Not to mention, she was constantly bullied. Anyone would have developed depression from that, too. Her problem is the most relatable, as I find this a common disease (for the lack of a better word) in society.

Lee Sung Kyung's cameo brought so much laughters. I'm not sure it was entirely necessary, but it was hilarious just watching Park Hyung Sik does all sort of "blur/puzzled" facial expressions. I guess her cameo also helped move their romance forward. It's also funny watching how one scenario being interpreted so differently from different perspectives.

@abs-oluteM Now there are 4 spy camera. One in his room and the man in black dropped another one.

4 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I think why kdramas somehow do better in the romance department for me ( at least the modern day ones) compared to cdramas (with exceptions)  is that the conversations feel like actual conversations rather than trying to fill the audience in on the plot and the story. And definitely less cringey

BWAHAHAHA! Is this your roundabout way of complaining about Snowstorm :laugh:

• Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

BWAHAHAHA! Is this your roundabout way of complaining about Snowstorm :laugh:

Was I ? :smug:

Spoiler

hahahahahaha....I will comment more after I finish eps 18. Lei Lei , please power me through 

LSK cameo was so good. I love it that it that she was the 3rd ranked student , so everyone there was so competitive and it tied in so nicely with their past. 

2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Wouldn't love / dating potentially help them overcome it?

I don't know ...but I think given everything that is going on in their lives , I kind of like that they are taking things slowly. Anyhow , given that they tend to turn to each other first when faced with a crisis or something good, there's already a lot of support and care there to help them deal with their current situations. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

When Jeong Woo hesitated to admit his feelings at the end of episode 5, I was worried that he would pull the noble idiocy card and this would drag a bit. Surprisingly, it went in a positive direction. I like that he and Ha Neul openly acknowledge their feelings to each other, but at the same time, they want to rule out that what they share with each other isn’t just a strong friendship. Also, they know they have their personal struggles to resolve as well. It’s a good sign that no one is running away, right? LOL. As a viewer, I think it is apparent that they vibe well with each other. Not just anyone can make you realize that you have trauma you must face and seek professional counseling for it. What is even better is that this person who goes to the appointment with you and gives you unconditional moral support should be a keeper!

On 2/10/2024 at 8:50 PM, abs-oluteM said:

And bonus was having Dr Origami/ Insect Catcher meet subscriber #6. So cute - look forward to more of their interactions. 

On 2/11/2024 at 8:03 PM, abs-oluteM said:

I am itching for more of Dr Origami  scenes with Hong Ran. They are so cute and started off in the most hilarious way. Considering how defensive he is of JW, I would like to see why he has such a soft spot for the latter. Wonder when will they cross path? 

Me too! Dae Young and Hong Ran's meeting was such a hoot. Because her son loves insects so much, it was just so funny that both times they met, he catches insects. And, when she complimented that he's good at catching them, did she mean that it's an attractive quality to her? LOL. So yes, I can't wait for more scenes of them. I hope they meet each others' kids and their kids meet each other as well. I think it's hinted that Dae Young will get along with Hong Ran's son. Will Hong Ran maybe help Dae Young have a better bond with his daughter?

The little screen time that we've had of Dae Young has been awesome. We need more though and it would be great if he has a meaningful role with the leads in the story.

On 2/10/2024 at 8:50 PM, abs-oluteM said:

I was angry that Kyung Min put that thought in his head. That so called hyung is like a big red flag that I hope JW can spot soon.

On 2/11/2024 at 12:24 AM, mademoiselle said:

Yeah!!! I was thinking why would he say that, especially if he is supposed to believe Jung Woo is innocent.

If someone doesn't want you to be happy (especially during your low points), it is a red flag. I really want to know why he's like this toward Jeong Woo. Obviously, Jeong Woo doesn't have a clue nor do we. LOL. I guess it keeps the story interesting.

Any idea who is the mysterious person behind the mask at the end of episode 6?

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

I think it's hinted that Dae Young will get along with Hong Ran's son. Will Hong Ran maybe help Dae Young have a better bond with his daughter?

I'm interested to see this, too. Also, the scene of the insect on his head was funny. I wonder what happened after they got to the stationary shop. LOL!

If someone doesn't want you to be happy (especially during your low points), it is a red flag.

They aren't really friends to begin with. But I do see Jeong Woo behaving more wary and alert with him after this. Or more like "awkward" with him, and tried to act like he is still OK with him as to not being impolite.

I feel there is still so much more to Jeong Woo's backstory we don't know yet. We know his mother is tough on him and his father is also a doctor, and that is it. Is she a step-mother? Does he have siblings? So far, more focus is on Ha Neul.

Any idea who is the mysterious person behind the mask at the end of episode 6?

No idea. Since this guy follows Jeong Woo after he met up with Hyung, then it ruled out Hyung. It could still be someone he hired though. Or one of his friends. Or that Anaesthetist.

• Clapping Hands 2
5 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I'm interested to see this, too. Also, the scene of the insect on his head was funny. I wonder what happened after they got to the stationary shop. LOL!

They cut off this part too early. I wanted to see more too. Funny how they bickered and were in disagreement about Jeong Woo's character, then the dragonfly came to save the day and connected them again. LOL.

They aren't really friends to begin with. But I do see Jeong Woo behaving more wary and alert with him after this. Or more like "awkward" with him, and tried to act like he is still OK with him as to not being impolite.

I feel there is still so much more to Jeong Woo's backstory we don't know yet. We know his mother is tough on him and his father is also a doctor, and that is it. Is she a step-mother? Does he have siblings? So far, more focus is on Ha Neul.

I agree that we've gotten to know Ha Neul the most so far. So, it'll be enlightening when we get to know more about Jeong Woo's family and backstory. Maybe the pieces will start to come together and we'll understand why he's being framed with the botched surgery. Let's say Kyung Min is involved. It doesn't seem he is capable of orchestrating it all alone. Looks like the next episode will cover more of the surgery situation so we'll see...

No idea. Since this guy follows Jeong Woo after he met up with Hyung, then it ruled out Hyung. It could still be someone he hired though. Or one of his friends. Or that Anaesthetist.

Oh yes, the anesthesiologist is a good guess.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Pre-release E8

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA their sweet date for her is to read literatures?

===

Is it me or all of a sudden his case was resolved too easily? I thought it was just nice that we got to learn more about Jeong Woo, and BAM, it's over. Hmm... what are we going to watch for the rest of the series?

Maybe now Yoon Park's scenes will increase. I did LOL-ed when he was scolded by Ha Neul's mother. Wonder what happened between him and Jeong Woo now. They were close but they fell apart. I'm wondering if this had something to do with that sunbae. He is still suss.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

I was surprised too that the case resolved as quickly as it did @mademoiselle. But I think the next half will likely focus on how they’d rebuild their careers? JW will have to start from scratch right ? And still has debts to settle. She still hasn’t gone back to work & will need to find a hospital/ clinic that can overlook her outburst . 

I am certainly hoping that they will somehow work for Yoon Park’s clinic. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

3 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I was surprised too that the case resolved as quickly as it did @mademoiselle. But I think the next half will likely focus on how they’d rebuild their careers? JW will have to start from scratch right ? And still has debts to settle. She still hasn’t gone back to work & will need to find a hospital/ clinic that can overlook her outburst . 

I am certainly hoping that they will somehow work for Yoon Park’s clinic. 

I forgot to mention/question... now that Jeong Woo knows he isn't the cause of the patient's death. Does that cure his PTSD? Don't know how this works. At least he should ideally be free of nightmares.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
3 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Does that cure his PTSD? Don't know how this works. At least he should ideally be free of nightmares.

She still died at his table, so I am not sure if that would remove the PTSD. But at least I think he can forgive himself. He's not guilty of malpractice . What was quite sad was that he realised how little real friends and genuine support he has. 

Dating era is here

GGmqm6baMAAIzJC?format=png&name=900x900

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1