Doctor Slump 닥터슬럼프 [2024]

I will watch this btw! I don't mind Park Shin Hye though she's definitely a bit stiff in romantic roles. I love Park Hyung Sik though :BulbaOWO: I don't often watch medical dramas, but I'll give it a go

Edited by JenL
  • Like 1
  • Party! 2

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2023 at 7:34 PM, abs-oluteM said:

Aiksss is Yoon Park 2nd lead again . As long as no love triangle and he has a meaty role. This guy has been 2nd lead for tooooooo long. 

I think there's some kind of conspiracy that's keeping Yoon Park from landing a male lead role.... Many people have been waiting forever to see him in a lead role. 

• Haha 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

I would say watch this through ep 2 because while I thought ep 1 was okay, ep 2 was so good. Who knew the two Parks would be so funny and cute together. But man, the end had me tearing up. It was definitely a message much needed from a parent to child who is sick in the way that is not easily understood.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

I see where this is going between the leads now. She is an anaesthetist, so in the end, they'll likely partner up when Jung Woo bounce back from this scandal. Clearly, he was framed. I initially suspected his fake friends, but looks like they were in no better place, too. Since the victim was an heiress, the random anaesthetist Jung Woo contracted might be hired by the heiress' enemy to kill her on the operating table. Jung Woo was just a scapegoat.

Yoon Park's character seems to have a soft heart towards Jung Woo, my guess is he might accept both Jung Woo and Ha Neul into his clinic. His clinic will go down anyway, if he doesn't do something about it.

The part that resonate was when Ha Neul said she postponed everything in life, worked her ass off thinking she can enjoy better after reaching success/goal. By the time we realise, we have already somewhat exhausted ourselves. Bills and debts to pay, sickness creeps up on us, we (especially those with children) had to grit our teeth and just keep burning ourselves out.

Park Hyung Sik's rendition of Jung Woo, especially the childish bits, really reminded me of Ahn Min Hyuk in Strong Woman Do Bong Soon. It was a very familiar performance. I really wanted to root for him, but he really was very childish in high school that I can't. LOL! I wonder which one of them are truly the near-genius one because even though Mum thinks her daughter is genius, but the way Ha Neul go about with her studies, it suggests she's hard-working not exactly the smartest. Not that it matters to the plot, but just my own curiosity.

I was so damn glad Ha Neul finally stand up to the Professor. I see he fears Ha Neul's talent. He clearly know Ha Neul is more capable than him, so belittling her was his way of making her feel small and trash her confidence. I hope those nurses and surgeons who were at the operation room would speak the truth.

BTS

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Clapping Hands 3
1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

The part that resonate was when Ha Neul said she postponed everything in life, worked her ass off thinking she can enjoy better after reaching success/goal. By the time we realise, we have already somewhat exhausted ourselves. Bills and debts to pay, sickness creeps up on us, we (especially those with children) had to grit our teeth and just keep burning ourselves out.

12 hours ago, peperomia said:

But man, the end had me tearing up. It was definitely a message much needed from a parent to child who is sick in the way that is not easily understood.

I was in tears when she told her mother about her depression. Especially the part where she asked if she can't be sick. While these days, people are a lot more open to talking and accepting mental health issues, I can see why HaNeul would find it hard to be diagnosed with depression. The good thing was that she recognised that and took action. Also I am so glad she kicked that awful professor, quit and decided to prioritise her health.  I can also understand her mother's initial denial of her situation but I would have been very upset if mum continues to gaslight her for it.  So I was glad that mum realised it quickly and send her that message at the end. 

What I like very much from these premiere episodes was that the pace is very good - the leads are already communicating quite openly. Also I wasn't sure what to expect of the chemistry between PHS and PSH but I found their competitive bickering hilarious (it hit the right spots)  and they have chemistry. Yoon Park's character was also very funny.  Agreed that he will be the one that helps JW and HN, and of course there will be a side romance with HN's bestie. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

@abs-oluteM @mademoiselle The show is off to a good start. The burnout, depression and low points in life can be relatable to many. As with Ha Neul, I do think oftentimes people don’t realize they’re going through a depression. So, I liked how the show approached her visit with the doctor, particularly the questionnaire. Some questions and answers might resonate with some viewers.

On 1/29/2024 at 4:09 AM, abs-oluteM said:

I was in tears when she told her mother about her depression. Especially the part where she asked if she can't be sick. While these days, people are a lot more open to talking and accepting mental health issues, I can see why HaNeul would find it hard to be diagnosed with depression. The good thing was that she recognised that and took action. Also I am so glad she kicked that awful professor, quit and decided to prioritise her health.  I can also understand her mother's initial denial of her situation but I would have been very upset if mum continues to gaslight her for it.  So I was glad that mum realised it quickly and send her that message at the end.

I really loved how this whole part came together. I would need my mom's support too in this so I got quite emotional when she got it 😭

I feel bad for Jeong Woo though. His mom was the opposite. She only cared about how his ordeal would affect his dad's position and didn't bother to check if he's okay. Since he's living next door to Ha Neul's family now, I'm hoping he'll receive family-like support from them.

What I like very much from these premiere episodes was that the pace is very good - the leads are already communicating quite openly. Also I wasn't sure what to expect of the chemistry between PHS and PSH but I found their competitive bickering hilarious (it hit the right spots)  and they have chemistry.

The leads are quite petty with each other. It doesn't seem much has changed since high school, but I agree it's hilarious. LOL. What I like is despite the bickering, you can see that Jeong Woo cares about Ha Neul and vice versa. I thought the last scenes of them with the cherry blossoms in the background was pretty.

On 1/29/2024 at 2:21 AM, mademoiselle said:

Yoon Park's character seems to have a soft heart towards Jung Woo, my guess is he might accept both Jung Woo and Ha Neul into his clinic. His clinic will go down anyway, if he doesn't do something about it.

Yoon Park's character was also very funny.  Agreed that he will be the one that helps JW and HN, and of course there will be a side romance with HN's bestie. 

I like Yoon Park's character too. I'm excited to see more interaction of him with the leads and the softness hidden inside him. LOL.

On 1/29/2024 at 2:21 AM, mademoiselle said:

Park Hyung Sik's rendition of Jung Woo, especially the childish bits, really reminded me of Ahn Min Hyuk in Strong Woman Do Bong Soon. It was a very familiar performance.

Same here. There were many moments where I thought Jeong Woo was channeling Min Min. LOL. He’s so cute!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

BTS

7 hours ago, peperomia said:

I like Yoon Park's character too. I'm excited to see more interaction of him with the leads and the softness hidden inside him. LOL.

I'm so glad he's a good character in this drama. I think the last drama I saw of his was the weather forecasting one.

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Party! 1

Watched this yesterday... Ending of ep.2 left me in tears. I am so glad Haneul's mother was quick to realise what matters more and restore the relationship to what it's supposed to be. 

Looking forward to how the story will progress from here. I like that they found each other at the lowest point of their lives. Though at loggerheads initially, I'm sure they will become each other's strongest support.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Episodes 1-2

I'm actually really enjoying this drama. It's been a long time since I've been invested in a drama couple/ romance genre story. The premiere episodes of this have trumped everything I watched last year by a long shot so far! I'm not sure why - maybe because it's my 2 old favourite oppas, Park Hyung Sik and Yoon Park. Maybe because it's the old school romance leads, Park Shin Hye and Park Hyung Sik. Maybe it's because Park Hyung Sik has rebounded back to his Strong Women Do Bong Soon days. Eh who knows, I'm just really liking everything :heart:

The story is refreshing too. I think so many Korean dramas in the past have always made doctors these highly revered and god like figures. But I prefer to see the human side of doctors - to see what happens when things get tough because it's not one of those walk in the park type jobs. I also actually don't really like medical dramas because I'm really quite squirmish about blood and body parts and bodily functions etc (Funny because I can deal with gangster hacking each other up, but don't want to watch 20 mins of an operation with lots of blood). But I find this story one I can invest in because the characters are more of the focus rather than the medical cases (so far) :heiboi:

The characters are pretty well balanced so far. I think they have their flaws, but definitely not finding anyone annoying and can easily sympathise with all their problems. Wonder if Jeong woo is being framed by one of his old classmates? :thinking: Really glad Ha Eul's mum accepted her depression - I hate it when parents are in denial for several episodes!

@peperomia @mademoiselle yes to Yoon Park playing more likeable characters. It's been awhile since he was the hot kind hearted chef from Age of Youth/ Hello My Twenties. And damn, I miss that! :letalQQ:

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

I can't say this enough, but Park Hyung Sik is a real natural when it comes to comedy. He's perfected the art of being conceited and cocky, but you can never dislike him. And although I sometimes feel PSH tends to have very similar facial expressions in some of her roles, somehow it works to her advantage here. I loved that in eps 3 there's growth in their relationship that has progressed from "former classmates" to friends. I don't know how the writer/ PD does it , but here I am cracking up over the funny lighthearted moments, and then it gets quite emotional the next minute. 

While I think I relate more to her struggles, Jeong Woo's troubles and predicament are worse. If the trial doesn't go his way, he's really never gonna be able to practise again and may go to jail. It doesn't help that he has a mother who has such high expectations of him & who doesn't seem to be genuinely concerned about him. In her case, even though she was ill treated at her previous workplace, it's not a career-ending situation. Plus she has a crazy but supportive family ( though unemployed brother needs to get a smack for not doing anything). 

And oh....Yoon Park doing origami with blankets!!! :laugh:.. we need more of his screen time please. And I am looking forward to his interaction with subscriber #6

Pre-released - This guy can be so full of himself :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

On 2/4/2024 at 6:32 AM, abs-oluteM said:

I can't say this enough, but Park Hyung Sik is a real natural when it comes to comedy. He's perfected the art of being conceited and cocky, but you can never dislike him. And although I sometimes feel PSH tends to have very similar facial expressions in some of her roles, somehow it works to her advantage here. I loved that in eps 3 there's growth in their relationship that has progressed from "former classmates" to friends. I don't know how the writer/ PD does it , but here I am cracking up over the funny lighthearted moments, and then it gets quite emotional the next minute. 

PHS and PSH's chemistry is perfect here so far. I had no doubt PHS could nail the comedy part. I wasn't sure about PSH, but so far so good though. (This might become my favorite role of hers.) I like that there's growth in their relationship too. The feeling of rock bottom really sucks so their support for each other is really great to see. I also like the continuous flashbacks of their high school days. They give a better glimpse of their past feelings/thoughts which seem to indicate that they like already subconsciously cared about each other. It doesn't seem so out the blue as to why they gravitated to care for each other as adults.

Strangely, I really like how the show's tone teeters between being super lighthearted/funny but then brings on all the emotions. It hits the right notes of a rom-com but has some slice of life feels. I think this helps connects viewers with the leads.

While I think I relate more to her struggles, Jeong Woo's troubles and predicament are worse. If the trial doesn't go his way, he's really never gonna be able to practise again and may go to jail. It doesn't help that he has a mother who has such high expectations of him & who doesn't seem to be genuinely concerned about him. In her case, even though she was ill treated at her previous workplace, it's not a career-ending situation. Plus she has a crazy but supportive family ( though unemployed brother needs to get a smack for not doing anything). 

Ugh. I feel so bad for Jeong Woo. His trial seems to be a sabotage. Then, there's a lack of family love and support. While Ha Neul studied hard for her dying father, Jeong Woo likely obsessed with being #1 student because of his tiger mother. I'm glad he was able to reunite with Ha Neul during these hard times. Hopefully, her family will fully come around from judging him prematurely and support him as well.

And oh....Yoon Park doing origami with blankets!!! :laugh:.. we need more of his screen time please. And I am looking forward to his interaction with subscriber #6

Between PSH and YP, I am laughing so hard. Who knew Yoon Park's character/Dae Young would be so funny as well. His seriousness for his NeoTube channel on origami with blankets is hilarious. All 5 subscribers are family so he was so happy that he suddenly got a new (non-family) subscriber. LOL. I am looking forward to his interaction with Ha Neul's friend too. I like that they're both single parents.

20 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Who is that guy at the end of the epilogue in episode 4?

Are you referring to the guy who walked out of the shower and then picked up a pen? I thought he was Jeong Woo's friend with the glasses. He calls him "hyung" and discusses his trial with him. There's something off about him. I think he's spying on Jeong Woo and Ha Neul. When they were drinking on the rooftop, a similar pen-like object was flashing underneath the bench.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
2 hours ago, peperomia said:

Are you referring to the guy who walked out of the shower and then picked up a pen? I thought he was Jeong Woo's friend with the glasses. He calls him "hyung" and discusses his trial with him. There's something off about him. I think he's spying on Jeong Woo and Ha Neul. When they were drinking on the rooftop, a similar pen-like object was flashing underneath the bench.

Is it him? I did suspect him, too, but couldn't find the reason why he would do that to Jeong Woo. If it's one of Jeong Woo's friends, that's just evil. Or, he's out for revenge — like, can't helped not going makjang here — he's born out of wedlock (I'm channelling that drama you watch... by Na In Woo...hahaha!)

That pen, my god. I was really hoping Jeong Woo would find it when he dumped all his clothes on the floor. I kept thinking, "Surely he'll see it when he clean up!" and of course when he's throwing tantrum on the floor as well... but of course, the Show wants the pen to spy on Jeong Woo few more episodes. I wonder how this pen works. I mean, how much can it record?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1