Sunbae, Don't Put On That Lipstick 선배, 그 립스틱 바르지 마요 [2021]

Article from : PinkVilla

SF9's Rowoon says his She Would Never Know character is a bold romantic who isn't afraid to express feelings

There is something attractive about a May-December romance right? Well, this is exactly what SF9's Rowoon and Won Jin Ah starrer She Would Never Know is all about. The drama is an official adaption of the webtoon - Sunbae, Don't Put On That Lipstick. Sunbae is a Korean term which refers to as someone senior or older.

Rowoon plays Chae Hyun Seung; a marketing fresher at a cosmetics firm who has a one-sided crush on his senior Yoon Song Ah, played by Won Jin Ah. In an interview with Sports Dong-A via Soompi, the actor shared his thoughts on playing a bold romantic character for the very first time and the daunting task of delivering cheesy, romantic lines. He revealed, “I thought that for lines of this kind of temperature, it’s especially important to deliver them in a clean, plain way. So I’ve been reading them in lots of different ways and trying to feel them out.”

The idol turned actor further revealed, how he used his body to channel the character's youthful vibe and also modelled his baritone to suit the charismatic persona of the character. She Would Never Know airs every Monday and Tuesday 9 pm KST on JTBC.

-----------------------------------

Yes , please use your body :pandahappy:

• Like 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Elle Interview :pandablush:

@abs-oluteM I would not disagree with your suggestion :mine:

Edit: Rowoon looks sooooo good in this video. Love the hairstyle!

Edit 2: :cry: Why is there no subtitles. They are sharing so much about themselves... have to wait for C-fans to sub this. I swear Elle provided English subs for Sweet Home's casts, but why not this?

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 1

Episode 5 Cuts & Quick Recap

After clubbing, Hyun Seung joins the girls for a drink and gets along really well with Song Ah's friend/housemate.

Spoiler

The next day Hyun Seung teases/jokes with Song Ah about her dancing.

Their fun conversation was cut short when they get into the same elevator with Jae Shin and Jae Woon. Jae Woon invites Song Ah to lunch with him and tells Song Ah that Jae Shin has been singing praises about her from time to time. Jae Woon tells Song Ah he is forming a TF team for the Europe Project and encourages Song Ah to take this opportunity.

Jae Woon then gets a call from Song Ah's friend who works at the department store informing him that Ji Seung has appeared at the store. Turns out Jae Woon has been "bribing" her with gifts so that she can keep an eye out for Ji Seung for him LOL!

Song Ah turns down the offer and is adamant that Jae Shin informs Jae Woon she is NOT going, disgusted with the thought that if she hadn't found out about Hyo Joo, Jae Shin would have taken her to Europe and they'd still be together.

The whole lunchtime, Hyun Seung is worried and had no appetite. But he perks up immediately when he sees Song Ah. Although the intention was to skip work, but Song Ah takes Hyun Seung on a journey of market research instead.

Meanwhile Jae Woon intercepts Ji Seung and makes his move. LOL...the whole conversation is weird (or the subtitles weren't done properly... I cannot tell).

Ji Seung eventually gets in touch with Hyo Joo and tells her Hara will NOT be selling her the wedding dress. YES!!! Hyo Joo obviously is pissed. She goes to Jae Shin's apartment and tells him the news; however, Jae Shin doesn't seem at all interested in the reason it was cancelled. Hyo Joo senses Jae Shin's coldness and warns him even though she loves him more, he can't step all over her. What a weird relationship they have here, honestly. Like, dude, what's the point?

Jae Shin announces Hyun Seung to be transferred to another colleague for training. Song Ah tries hard to reason with Jae Shin's transfer however it was unsuccessful.

And this cute moment occurs when Song Ah was deep in her work but hears Hyun Seung asking a question and she subconsciously responds to him thinking he's talking to her...

While Hyun Seung is away visiting the door-to-door sales team. Song Ah is left alone and leaves window of opportunity for Jae Shin to have more 1-on-1. Jae Shin pushes for Song Ah to join him for the Europe Project at the parking lot and Hyo Joo sees them talking.

As Hyun Seung came back late from work and everyone has left. He's disappointed he did not get to see Song Ah. As he about to leave, he bumps into Jae Shin. Jae Shin stops Hyun Seung in his track and the scene cuts to Hyun Seung at Yeon Seong's house playing Jenga with his niece. We don't get to find out what was said. Hyun Seung seems down and tired, and the niece saw through that he's down because he's been dumped. Niece gives her uncle a pat on his thigh as a comfort gesture, HA HA HA.

What seems like the next day, Song Ah's sunflower Hyun Seung is happy to see Song Ah as he gets off the bus. He texts Song Ah not to worry and not to forget the farewell party Song Ah promised him. Big puppy misses his sunbae, awww.

Hyun Seung gets dragged to the gathering and I'm sure we all know how scary Korean's work gathering can be. Uri Hyun Seung obviously can't escape the fate of being forced to drink. Song Ah is dead worried about her hoobae and we see that Hyun Seung joins the sales team for a second round, drowning himself in more alcohol as he recollects his conversation with Jae Shin.

Ahhhh, so Jae Shin tells Hyun Seung not to hold Song Ah back for the Europe Project as it is a good career move for her. Tsk. No wonder Hyun Seung is down.

Worried Song Ah goes looking for Hyun Seung and sees a very drunk Hyun Seung in the process of agreeing to go for third round with the sales team. However in a very funny way, the moment Hyun Seung sees Song Ah, he pushes the manager away and zig-zags towards Song Ah. He stops in front of her and looking a bit teary eyed, he pouts a little and said, "Why did you come so late?" Awwwwwww

Song Ah: What...?

In a slightly slo-mo manner, we see Hyun Seung's eyes closes and plops his head onto Song Ah's shoulder.

Hyun Seung: I miss you.

Damn, I thought he's was passing out like how Siwan did in Run On. But I guess Rowoon is too gigantic for Won Jin Ah to do that. She'd immediately be tackled down to the ground if he puts all his weight on her xD

---

Hehehe, C-fans on weibo are calling Rowoon the "Ending fairy" because the episode always ends with Rowoon doing something that flutters our hearts.

---

Episode 6 Preview

Oh yayyyyy! Model Hyun Seung looks super duper gorgeous... and hahahahahahahahahaha, the horror look on Hyun Seung's face. Looks like Song Ah takes him home and left him a post-it and he's dying from embarrassment. Kikikikiki.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Heart Eyes 1

@mademoiselle yes , I always watch is as soon as they put it up on IQIYI. 

---------------------------------------------

eps 5 

I always worry for Hyun Seung. He wears his heart on his sleeve & he finds every opportunity to be with Song Ah and to look out for her. If you don't like his advances , I suppose you'd say he's being stalker-ish & creepy . However if you do like him (like me) , then you'd say his being persistent & expressive with his feelings. Perception I guess is important - so that's why I was really hoping that Song A won't keep him at arms length. I am not expecting her to like him the way he likes her just yet, but I would not want her to continue to put up a defensive wall. 

Which was why I thought that today's episode had some progress especially from Song A's side. As we had expected, Jae Shin reassigned HS to work under a different manager. JS's not making himself very likeable being so unprofessional . But I thought it turned out in HS's favour. Firstly , his new designation meant he had the opportunity to go out to the field & understand the real work of the sale force on the ground. This will be benefit him career wise. But more importantly this  meant that Song A had the opportunity to miss him , and she did.  Whether she wants to admit it or not, he's been very much a part of her work life.  We have always seen him being the proactive one , so that's why I was pretty pleased when she texted him asking where he was when he joined the sale team for their dinner.

I realised there are two side characters that are pretty funny & adorable in their own way. First it is Mr Curly Eyelashes CEO. I cracked up when he finally met HS's sister. This guy just can't do things the normal way can he. The questions he asked the sister were hilarious. The other side character is HS's niece. She is indeed 7 going on 17 or something . I laughed when she told her mum that the latter was not pretty ( Sorry, I know it is not good for a child to say that , but the mum is too vain for her own good. ) I think she and CEO may hit it off later when he perhaps gets to date the aunt. 

And finally just a note on Jae Shin - so what was he thinking? He wanted to Song A to join him on his team in Europe but was he gonna try to hide his marriage from her if she had not found out?  Whatever it is he is one pretty selfish person. While I don't think I have warmed up to Hyo Joo, it is good that she is beginning to sense things. She realised he wasn't particularly bothered or worried that her wedding dress order got cancelled. Then when she had come to the office to look for him, she witnessed from afar the tense conversation between JW and SA at the carpark. And girls are always very instinctive with these things.  I think even she will leave him at the end.

• Like 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Elle Interview

@abs-oluteM I would not disagree with your suggestion :mine:

Edit: Rowoon looks sooooo good in this video. Love the hairstyle!

Edit 2: :cry: Why is there no subtitles. They are sharing so much about

Lol! It looks like they elevated her seat to make same height as Rowoon. He's like slouching a bit to not be so tall next to her  :D

Oh ya and this part...I feel like one of them ahjummas, fawning over him :Ghastlel:

EtJckQJUwAM3_q3?format=jpg&name=large

EtJcpitVcAIdOgG?format=jpg&name=large

• Haha 1

Episode 5 Thoughts

Like many who found the first two episodes extremely fast paced (and potentially due to unaccustomed to execution), the show has found its footing and things seem to fall in its place quite nicely. Although I am curious to know how/see how Song Ah and Hyun Seung interact before (which I imagined it is all work and professional), I am pleased to see Song Ah warming up to Hyun Seung and is no longer cold and distant with him in this episode. I can also now appreciate why episode 1-2 was executed the way it did; getting the cheating bit out of the way so that the story could focus entirely on building up Song Ah and Hyun Seung's relationship gradually (hoping for it to be slow burn). It was, however, a bit risky because there were a LOT of complaints on the first 2 episodes and usually the early episodes are what viewers rely on as an indication whether the show is watchable.

The highlight for me in this episode is Hyun Seung. For the past 4 episodes, he came across confident, cheery and positive. However in this episode we can to see other sides of him. He was out of his comfort zone with the Sales Team. He was low in spirit after the chat with Jae Shin and he was lonely.

img.gif

The emotion heightened at the end of episode 5 and I loved Hyun Seung's expressions when he saw Song Ah. The teary eyes, pout and complaint indicated how much he misses his sunbae. I thought it was very well-done from Rowoon's part and yay to seeing improvement for his acting.

EtM04wHVoAMWn51?format=jpg&name=900x900

Spoiler

EtM04wjUYAUDI1o?format=jpg&name=900x900

The separation also helps Song Ah realises she, too, misses having Hyun Seung around. Tee hee. The feelings aren't as prominent as Hyun Seung's but it's a good sign that she's also becoming protective of him (because of Jae Shin) and her concerns for him is growing. I'm looking forward to tonight's episode where she'd be taking him home and how far Hyun Seung's drunken state gone for him to look so horrified the next morning. LOL.

67bc5c1bgy1gn8ujboprzg20gp0guu10.gif

LOL, Rowoon is taller than the fridge!

Another thing I do like is Hyun Seung isn't forcing his feelings on her, at least not in this episode and I hope it won't be for the rest. 

There were 2 interesting revelation: first one being the young lady who has a crush on Hyun Seung knows his ex-girlfriend. This makes me wonder if ex-girlfriend would make a cameo later to give a push of Song Ah and Hyun Seung's relationship. And then there's Ji Seung who called off an engagement and her relunctance to reveal the reason. It seems like Hyun Seung has more insights to it than Yeon Seung. Did these two siblings both suffer from being cheated on? 

Unlike the charismatic and beautiful lovely Ji Seung and Hyun Seung, Yeon Seung is so naggy and pushy that it's becoming annoying. Not sure how the two lovely siblings could endure her nags. 

That restaurant owner/hubby friend - it's hard to tell his sexual orientation, LOL. The show is definitely playing the mysterious card on him. Song Ah's friend is single maybe she will be paired up with him. Heheh.

@abs-oluteM I can totally relate to the ahjumma deul's excitement of seeing good-looking and young fresh meat compared to the worn out and unhappy ahjussi deul there BAHAHAHA. Hyun Seung being there totally brighten up the office. :laugh: 

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Heart Eyes 1

Episode 6 Cuts

The episode begins with Hyun Seung waking up, drinking water in front of the fridge and as he turned around to see 4 oranges and some yoghurt on the dining table, memory flooded back and he looks absolutely horrified. The scene cuts to 7 hours ago with Song Ah taking Hyun Seung home in the taxi.

Hahahahahaha drunk Hyun Seung is hilarious. So girls, the password to Hyun Seung's apartment is his birthday!! Let's attack him tonight! ;P Drunk Hyun Seung wouldn't let Song Ah go after sending him home. He sat Song Ah down at the kitchen chair and rampage his fridge, taking out a whole chunk of oranges, strawberries and so on. He pours her a glass of OJ and forces her to drink. He then feeds her a spoonful of yoghurt and tells her she's pretty. Looking satisfied, he walks back to his sofa and lose consciousness again with a smile on his face. LMAO.

Spoiler

A post-it was left for Hyun Seung and he agonises and is scared to know what's on it. On it, Song Ah said "Let's pretend we do not know each other ..." Bahahaha. At the office, Song Ah gives him a lecture about getting drunk, fully expecting him to be able to get out of it since he's not a newbie. Hyun Seung explains he wanted to fit in (when it truth we know he was actually upset). Song Ah reassures him that she's not worried about him because he's already doing very well. However when Hyun Seung questions why she was there at the time, it hinted that she was contradicting herself since she was worried about him. Haha.

Due to the CEO being very interested in the Europe Project, Jae Woon tasked Jae Shin and Song Ah to compile some data so Song Ah had to work late. Hyun Seung decides to take away dinner for her and they spent some time together eating sandwiches (PPL time!).

Just as Hyun Seung leaves, Jae Shin returns from bailing out his father from the police station. At the kitchen, Jae Shin tells Song Ah the reason why he had to marry Hyo Joo.

At the cosmetic class event, a male model did not show up. Because uri Hyun Seung is tall and beautiful with lovely complexion and Rowoon is the spokeperson of KLAVUU in real life. He was asked to fill in as the male model. Hyun Seung was hesitant at first but the moment Jae Shin said to Manager Yoo Hyun Seung is feeling uncomfortable and that they should find an alternative, Hyun Seung volunteered. The rest of the scene is just fan service where we see the already beautiful Rowoon getting doll up. Hahaha...

In the makeup room, Hyun Seung asks Song Ah point blank whether she is going to Europe. He tells her that he'll support her no matter what her decision is.

The modelling bit is rather underwhelming and unexpectedly a boring scene. Tsk.

Hyo Joo shows up at the event and when she was just about to go into the venue, Song Ah came out. Hyo Joo literally "checks" Song Ah out and sees that Song Ah is an employee of the KLAR Team via Song Ah's name tag. Hmm, I wonder what she intends to do next?

During the weekend Song Ah returns home for her father's death anniversary. Song Ah advises Mum to forget about Dad and move on. Mum declines and thought Song Ah was too cold-hearted as a daughter. We then learnt that Song Ah witnesses a potential scene whereby her Dad was being unfaithful to Mum.

Ji Seung arrives at KLAR HQ and bumps into Jae Woon. Jae Woon invites her to lunch with him even though his secretary shakes his head at Ji Seung in a desperate manner not to take up his invitation because he already has scheduled lunch meeting which seems too important to cancel. Ji Seung respectfully declines and Jae Woon did not press on. Hyun Seung then appears (damn, you should have appeared sooner!) and joins Ji Seung for lunch.

It seems like Hyun Seung must be really bothered by the possibility of Song Ah going to Europe because both his Noona thinks he's lost some weight. Ji Seung tells Hyun Seung she's planning a pop-up store and wonders if she can pull it off.

Scary old grandpa CEO did a surprise spot check/visit at one of the KLAR's store so Jae Shin and Song Ah rush over to provide support and Song Ah is tasked to explain about colour cosmetics to the CEO. Meanwhile the KLAR team was informed that the lipstick Jae Woon revives was printed incorrectly on the unit cartons. As this is Song Ah's project, Hyun Seung actively wants to help. He then suggests putting stickers over the unit cartons but because it's so last minute, it may be difficult to find personnels to help and Hyun Seung volunteers to do it.

After the two ahjumma deul left, Hyun Seung gets a call from Song Ah. She has arrived at the factory as they were still talking on the phone. Hyun Seung lies that he's almost done and that he's doing well and will have to do well without Song Ah anyway. Puzzled, Song Ah said she's not going anywhere and confirms she's staying. Hyun Seung is so happy with the news that he had to hang up on Song Ah so he can take a moment to celebrate this good news. Song Ah laughs and sees everything through the window, she then gives Hyun Seung a fright when he's dancing with a broom. Oh Hyun Seung, you dork.

The two of them continue to put stickers on the cartons. Hyun Seung asks Song Ah why she isn't going. She tells him that's not something she wants to do, she likes what she's doing now and she likes Korean food. Hours must have passed, Song Ah falls asleep and Hyun Seung skillfully catches her falling head with his shoulder.

Episode 7 Preview

• Clapping Hands 1

Just finished ep.5. I think I know what JS’s game plan is ~ keep a girlfriend in Europe and keep a wife in Korea. At least for 3 years. Maybe he intends to divorce within 3 years? Whatever 🙄

Not enough screen time for big sis and big bro story line.... He is too confident, only a few minutes talk and walked away?? After like waiting for her to show up for days?? 😅

Love the little niece of HS. More of her nuggets of wisdom please 😁

• Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

2 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Not enough screen time for big sis and big bro story line.... He is too confident, only a few minutes talk and walked away?? After like waiting for her to show up for days?? 😅

I am living for their 30s encounters! So darn cute. And I think she's intrigued - at least she started getting curious about the revival of her favourite lipstick.

About the niece , I find it interesting that she thinks a lot more highly of her aunt & uncle then her mum. Something bugs me about what the little girl knows - as in I think she senses something is not right about her parents' marriage which her mother seems oblivious about.

So eps 6 gave us more insights to the emotional pain that both Song Ah and Jae Shin bear. In Song Ah's case, we find out her dad had cheated on her mum with her school /music teacher . And carrying the burden of that secret to protect her mum's fragile emotional state has taken a toll on their mother-daughter relationship. In Jae Shin's case we got to see first hand what an awful man the father is. Though I still can't empathise much with JS, but perhaps I can see why he'd be willing to accept the condescending treatment that he gets from Hyo Joo's grandfather. Perhaps in his mind, that is the best way to remove the label of being a con man's son. What Song Ah told him in the car was spot on. He lives like a teen who thinks he has nothing - he basically failed to see that self-worth doesn't come from one's social status or wealth.

Anyhow let's talk about our favorite Hyun Seung. Man , I love him more with every episode...he just is such a good guy & raised well....my gawd...look at how healthy his fridge is @mademoiselle

EtOhJw4VcAInYLN?format=jpg&name=large

Plus he also showed me some veins :pandalove:

EtO2VfcVgAEMgDV?format=jpg&name=900x900

How adorable was drunk HS at the start? And he cracked me up by dancing in happiness with a broom  when SA told him she has decided not to go to Europe. I wonder why she decided not to go since JS wasn't going ( that's what he said right? ) ? I don't think it would have been because of HS right? I do think she's starting to feel something for him - love that she smiles each time she sees him being silly - but I don't think she likes him yet the way he likes her. 

But hey ...the preview shows that they might start to date for real? Am I understanding it correctly?

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

@abs-oluteM you got the name mixed up lah... Jae Won vs Jae Shin. JW the CEO, JS the BM :laugh: I was wondering as I read your recaps. 

Oh noooo....okay let me go change it now. The problem with watching so many dramas 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

How adorable was drunk HS at the start? And he cracked me up by dancing in happiness with a broom  when SA told him she has decided not to go to Europe. I wonder why she decided not to go since JS wasn't going ( that's what he said right? ) ? I don't think it would have been because of HS right? I do think she's starting to feel something for him - love that she smiles each time she sees him being silly - but I don't think she likes him yet the way he likes her. 

Jae Shin is going. He's the head of this project. I don't think it is because of Hyun Seung but it would be uncomfortable to work with Jae Shin around. It can be suffocating as it is right now for her and she's being very professional so far with it.

• Like 1

Geez, the mother of SA is really super annoying for me. She knows her daughter is coming home for the father’s death anniversary and she left the house in such.a.mess!! What kind of mother is that. Not feeling any bit of shame, or even thank SA for straightening the house. And not allowing her to marry? What a child the mother is...

HS is so cute, when the sister said he lost weight, He used the back of the spoon to check out his look, how adorable!

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Episode 6 Thoughts

How adorable can Rowoon be as drunk Hyun Seung? I've seen guy friends drunk but I don't even find them adorable (just nuisance & crazy) like I find Hyun Seung. I guess everything looks better when we're the by-stander. Haha. I really enjoy the drunk scene from beginning to the end. I also enjoy Rowoon's performances for those scenes. And then there's the overjoy cheering and dancing to getting a fright. Rowoon was so expressive which I have never seen from his previous works. :pandalove:

4c066d45cea7fe51d6302dd6861db1581c20643f

There are only two fun and favourite scenes from episode 6, and that's the ending and drunk Hyun Seung. All others, so-so. I was looking forward to the modelling bit and that part seem rather unnecessary because it didn't really serve any purpose. All that came out of it was Hyo Joo knowing a bit more of who Song Ah is. A lot of close-up shots of Rowoon's complexion (which is consider really good even though he had makeup on) and those long, eyelashes.

Introducing Jae Shin's father didn't help me care more about him. It's one of those typical drama tropes, and all I got out of it is that's not good enough reason for him to live his life the way he is now. Yeah ok, you're a conman's son, that's still better tahn being a murderer or a rapist's son. Worse come to worse, just cut ties with him. No? From Song Ah's perspective, he's no different to his dad for deceiving Song Ah.

As for Song Ah's Mum's story arc, it is also not that intriguing. Mum just come across as childish compared to Song Ah. I don't blame her for not wanting to get over Dad since she's clueless about his potential infidelity but I can't say I understand her obsession on Song Ah.

That leaves Ji Seung and Jae Woon, Yeon Seung and mysterious hubby and chef's relationship which are a lot more interesting. I wonder what Ha Eun's conversation with Yeon Seung would lead to later and whether it is some sort of foreshadowing. I also sincerely hope there's no element of LGBTQA in this drama. I'd also like to see more work related incidents that the team faces which would help Hyun Seung and Song Ah move closer and closer.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Heart Eyes 1