Director: Hsu Fu Hsiang

Writer: Various

Genre: Comedy, Law

Streaming Site: Disney+ | Bilibili

Episodes: 26

Schedule: 15th June - 20th July 2022

Websites: Weibo | Bolin Chen | Puff Guo | Wikipedia | Disney+ TW YouTube |

Plot Summary

The talented but selfish legal star's career collapses due to an accident which forced him to join a public welfare law firm in order to make a living where he explores the true meaning of justice (source: MyDramaList)

Previews

Liu Lang & Liang Liang's version

Spoiler

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

@Tofu @JenL I managed to squeeze the first two episodes in tonight. Each episode is only like 35-38 mins including opening theme so it's not very long. At first I thought it's an episode a week but turns out it's 2 per week in a Korean formatting, which works better for me. 

I'm not sure I like both the main characters yet. Liu Lang (Bolin) is pretty sleazy as a lawyer and as a man (the way he handles his past lovers when trying to find the kid's mum). Lin Xiao Yan (Puff) is this persistent and inflexible noob lawyer going up against Liu Lang. That's how they met one another, through a case.

At this point I'm still a lot more interested in watching Bolin with the kiddo, although there isn't much interactions yet. That said, the kid indirectly cause a leak of confidential information to Xiao Yan, and Liu Lang lost his job at the firm. It damages his reputation as well that no law firms were willing to hire him. This eventually leads him to the firm Xiao Yan works.

• Like 2
On 6/16/2022 at 11:32 PM, mademoiselle said:

@Tofu @JenL I managed to squeeze the first two episodes in tonight. Each episode is only like 35-38 mins including opening theme so it's not very long.

This seems pretty doable for me! I'm more likely to watch anything that's short at the moment! :pandasipsip:

On 6/16/2022 at 11:32 PM, mademoiselle said:

I'm not sure I like both the main characters yet. Liu Lang (Bolin) is pretty sleazy as a lawyer and as a man (the way he handles his past lovers when trying to find the kid's mum). Lin Xiao Yan (Puff) is this persistent and inflexible noob lawyer going up against Liu Lang. That's how they met one another, through a case.

Yeah I heard Bolin was going to be a sleezy lawyer for this one and Puff's character looked very sloppy. But it seems fun? Hopefully they have goood cast chemistry together? :popcorn:

BTW, where are you watching this? 

• Like 2

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

I am up to date with all 6 episodes. Two episodes per case. I'm not sure whether the cases are a true reflections of the issues in Taiwan either, especially having not watched Taiwanese dramas or follow the current affairs for a very loooooong time. The legal proceeding scenes are very informal and comical rather than serious. I'd have thrown Bolin out of the court if I were the judge coz he's behaving like a gangster rather than a classy one 😅

Six episodes I'm a bit disappointed that there was very little focus on Bolin with the cute kid. There were more in episode 5-6 but not enough since I want to see him bond with the kid. I want to see him went from a single man to developing that fatherly love, learning to care for the kid. I hope it will in the future episodes to come...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 6/18/2022 at 12:52 AM, mademoiselle said:

@JenL I watch without subs. Do you need English sub?

I can understand like 95% without subs so please link me! :pandablush:

On 6/19/2022 at 12:44 PM, mademoiselle said:

:pandascared: That means I ended being the only one watching this!

I'll watch it too and give my opinion. There's so many Taiwanese series I need to watch up on now that they're all spreading across the streaming platforms as well! :BulbaConfused:

• Clapping Hands 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2022 at 9:52 AM, mademoiselle said:

@Tofu You're the one who gave me this link. What did you need to watch raw for? xD

Sometimes I'll watch the raw if there are no subs and it's something I still want to watch. Last year I watched the raw episodes of a Chinese drama and then watched the subbed episodes later. Haha!

• Like 2

@JenL @Tofu I'm going to drop this. Certain episodes became very silly and I really can't stand or appreciate the not-so-funny humour. I'm particularly annoyed with the loveline between the supporting actor who plays Bolin's friend and the supporting actress who plays the lawyer.

Last week's episodes about the genius kid was utter nonsense. For one, I couldn't appreciate the band's music (didn't think it was that great in melody) and the cosplay in the court scene. The core issue of parents giving pressure to the kid because "he can do it" was there but I didn't like they resolved it in such a silly manner.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Sad 2
3 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

@JenL @Tofu I'm going to drop this. Certain episodes became very silly and I really can't stand or appreciate the not-so-funny humour.

Oh no! I was just going to start soon coz I finally finished Shooting Star over the weekend! I might still give a few episodes a go just to see how I feel, but I totally understand when slapstick Taiwanese humour gets too much :idk:.

I couldn't watch Puff's other project with Jiro like a year or 2 years ago because I could tell from the first episode that it was awful. I love that alot of Taiwanese dramas have moved away from that and that there's more quality shows these days, but there's still some series that really draw on that very ridiculous and not-funny humour. It's also a shame that Puff either does hits or big misses :letalQQ:

• Like 2