My Journey to You 云之羽 [2023]

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2023 at 9:10 PM, IpohBanana said:

@NiteWalker, he was asked if he would collaborate with Esther a 3rd time. He said he won't mind but it has to be a modern drama, I think he mentioned that he wants to get the he** out of Heng Dian studios. He must be sick and tired of it, as every drama he is cast in is a costume drama. Only had a short guest role in the current Bright Eyes about firemen (again). And then the person who asked him if it's ok if they don't have any relationship in the drama, he replied "then what's the point of starring with her??" :lmao2: I think he must be thinking, the 3rd time has to be a charm, and he gets to keep the girl. 

i mind too if im to pair up with someone for over 2 times and still no good ending hahahaha....

to be honest....i prefer seeing him in costumes....hahaha he just fit the costume image more for me

• Like 1

@Tofu Cheng Lei is in this drama! :lmao2:

He is good, saw him in the short format drama before and knew he would nail this role. In real life though, I saw clips put together of him, he seems very nervous in large crowds, and the video kept poking fun of him as he didn't know where to put his hands in many of the fan meets or in public appearances. LOL

@NiteWalker yaloh....I first saw him in Maiden Holmes and thought, 'my goodness, what a young, fresh-looking face, and so 

斯文! Until today, I still think he looks very 斯文.... haha. I know in Tiger and Crane, there's a scene where he appears to be a darker character, but in my mind, he will always have that good boy look. And yah...he ought to get the girl in the 3rd drama pairing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2023 at 3:57 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

No. Any good?

I've been watching The Heart. 

Sorry for the late reply - been tied up with work lately. I finished it, binge-watched over a few days. We have not had many good dramas lately, and so this was a little refreshing for me. Also, because I had just finished Scent of Time, which has a similar concept and funnily enough, the ML there is a supporting actor here, so it was satisfying to watch a similar genre as I didn't have a very satisfying ending with the other one. The drama is watchable for someone who needs pure entertainment and satisfying for a sucker who loves HEs. I understand that if one has a critical eye, costumes would be off-putting as they threw in a whole bunch of costumes from different dynasties but since I know no better, this was no issue.

Now, for the reasons why one might be dissatisfied. After watching it, I saw a reviewer on YT critic the drama and I must say I agree to some of the comments plus my own observations.

- Bai Lu appears the same in any drama she takes on, so the way she portrays this character feels no different from a few others she has taken on. Her facial expressions all look too familiar. And her face is too old for the character she is playing, someone less than 18 years old or thereabouts.

- Zhang Ling He captured my attention years back when he was relatively unknown with Sebrina Chen in Maiden Holmes

and there was this innocence in him then, that is sharply contrasted in this character he plays. Xie Wei, the ML in this drama is dark, and his background is a little like the protagonist in NIF (though he didn't lose his entire family and army overnight). So, he is twisted and hell-bent for revenge. But I believe because ZLH (IMHO) is by nature someone who doesn't have those dark traits and can't imagine how to depict them, has over-projected himself to the point he looks unnatural. The curled lips, the insane glare + the makeup, and as the YTber said the constant shouting to command presence makes it appear unbelievable. I watched a video where he commented about the criticism he got, and he admitted that perhaps he doesn't fully understand this character. AND it probably doesn't help that the director didn't give much advice in this department.

-  The script changed certain parts from the novel, so those who read the novel find the changes hard to accept the way the characters or certain plots developed.

- After being at odds with each other for so many episodes, and the deep distrust that the FL has for the ML which was conveyed to viewers, the sudden acceptance towards him felt out of place, even if he did save her many times.

- Though the ML never really harmed the FL, I didn't appreciate the rough behaviour he displayed towards her (the scriptwriter must secretly enjoy such things or if they adhered to the original content, the novelist must have a penchant for such things.) As someone on MDL said, Bai Lu's neck probably got overused and abused.

Overall, I would say, if one can suspend judgment and enjoy it for what it is, it's one of the better dramas this year, particularly if one is like me, a sucker for HEs