Welcome to Samdalri 웰컴투 삼달리 [2023-2024]

I'm up to episode 8 now, and are really liking the show. In the beginning, I was uncertain because there were some scenes or plot lines I didn't appreciate or understand. But once things slowly unravel, like how Samdal broke down in tears crying why wouldn't anyone believe she didn't bully her assistant and no one cared to ask her how she is (except Yong Pil), I started to feel for her. Bullying is a common topic these days, in real or reel. Contrary to the norm, this drama showed us the perpetrator played the victim card and accused Samdal for being the bully. So I thought this take is refreshing vs other bullying dramas.

411534410-892636732232139-43177758417632

Samdal's friendships with the boys are one major draw for me. I cried when Wang Gyeong Tae confesses how proud he is of Samdal for being successful out of all of them, so he would never wish anything bad happen to her.

The three sisters' own love lines are also interesting, especially the eldest. She divorces her husband because of his family. Her ex-husband is a huge contrast to her personality. He's a bit of a whim, LOL. Their scenes are funny. I hope they would reconcile because he clearly is still head over heels in her. The youngest sister is a single mother, whose husband had died young, and she has an adult-like 9 yo daughter. The little girl is bonding with a Marine Biologist obsessed with dolphins, and these two are starting to be friends. The daughter has identified him as her mum's love interest. Haha.

409352127-888707125958433-27982935204260

Yong Pil and Samdal are childhood sweethearts, but something happened that caused them to break up. The mystery behind it seems to be because of Yong Pil's mother's death. Yong Pil's father seem to blame her death on Samdal's Omma (played by Kim Mi Kyung). The mothers are Hae-nyeo (female sea divers) and BFF. The two obviously have some unresolved romance that will be mended at the end of the drama. Their seaweed fight was hilarious!

405965510-881976766631469-45527587582594

In episode one, I didn't understand why Yong Pil always wrap flowery cloth around Samdal's Omma's flotation device (image above). But as I learned about his own mum's death, and how Yong Pil always monitor Samdal's movement after her return through the CCTV at the Weather Forecast station, I realised he did it so that he could quickly identify Omma's position in the sea. Yong Pil probably became a weather forecaster because of this very reason, too. 😭😭😭 He's such a sweet guy.

I like that the story is about the protagonist who is so busy with success/work that she forgets about some important things in life. Through failing, she rediscovered herself and mended the lost connections with her friends, family and her origin.

P.S. Ji Chang Wook regained his youth/beauty in this drama. :laugh:

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

@mademoiselle so far quite fun & an easy watch . Am up to eps 4 . Love the friendship between the guys & her…but looks like there could be a love triangle brewing? Hope it doesn’t it doesn’t break the friendship. Also like the sisters’ stories. Another draw is that healer Ahjumma is here & so nice to see her interacting with JCW .

(When I see the ex of hers I kept thinking  how she could have gone from someone as good as Yong Pil to a loser like the ex . 😅

I think the cosmetics & skincare must be so good cuz the leads look even better than before. My mum is also watching this & we think they must have done some maintenance work. 😁😁

• Haha 1
  • Party! 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

@abs-oluteM OMG!! You're actually watching this! So happy you are liking it. Her friendship with the boys is what first what got to me. The bit where she got so wasted and about to fall onto the ground, and they all flew towards her :laugh:. Eldest sister has the most fun romance, I reckon. As for the love triangle, I don't think the other guy stood a chance. Yong Pil still has a lot of effect on Samdal, and I think they never really got over each other.

And yes, it was lovely to see Healer Ahjumma Kim Mi Kyung reunited with Ji Chang Wook, although they never really worked together in Healer. Hahaha!

54 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

I think the cosmetics & skincare must be so good cuz the leads look even better than before. My mum is also watching this & we think they must have done some maintenance work. 😁😁

I'm starting to think the editing team apply "filters" to the videos, like how we do it for pictures. JCW looks so young here. Like, how? LOL!

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Eldest sister has the most fun romance, I reckon.

Omg so true. I had such a good laugh at all her scenes with that loser ex husband of hers. It helps that she is played by Shin Dong Mi who's an actress with great comical timing.  Initially, I was like please I hope they don't get back together. But he was quite pitiful later. Regardless, he really needs to get a backbone and stand up against his family. It's clear he's still very much in love with her. 

8 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

As for the love triangle, I don't think the other guy stood a chance. Yong Pil still has a lot of effect on Samdal, and I think they never really got over each other.

Oh for sure. Mr Nice Car (Sang Do) seems like a really sweet guy and a very thoughtful one too. I laughed when he told Yong Pil for the 19th time about liking Sam Dal. Yong Pil's response was very matured, and I agree that even if YP still has feelings for SD, it won't change how Sang Do would feel anyway. YP and SD's feelings for each other are too obvious - credit to the chemistry between JCW and SHS. 

So I don't know if I missed something, but why is YP's father so against the relationship, or rather why does he resent SD (or maybe SD's mum) that he caused  them to break up? It baffles me that this happen 8 years ago - which would mean the leads were about 30. How can father lock him up when he is that old? So I am guessing that SD's mum must have caused or indirectly caused YP's mother's death? 

On 12/25/2023 at 11:50 AM, mademoiselle said:

she has an adult-like 9 yo daughter.

I was so touched when she called her mum as aunty in front of Dolphin Dad. Gosh, she's not just book smart but she's got high EQ too. She wants mum to have a chance at love. 

Anyway the ending of episode 8 made me shed some tears. I doubt omma will die though the preview gives a very nostalgic feel. 

@Dhakra are you gonna watch this since it has JCW?

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

5 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

So I don't know if I missed something, but why is YP's father so against the relationship, or rather why does he resent SD (or maybe SD's mum) that he caused  them to break up? It baffles me that this happen 8 years ago - which would mean the leads were about 30. How can father lock him up when he is that old? So I am guessing that SD's mum must have caused or indirectly caused YP's mother's death? 

I think it is as you have guessed, Yong Pil's mum death has some relation to Omma. Maybe she made a bad decision to go diving when they shouldn't, or she didn't stop his mum and let her go in. Yong Pil did say it wasn't anyone's fault, but his dad can't help the resentment. I also don't think he truly hate her because when the sisters ran out of the house, he knew instantly and was worried too. I still can't stop my tears when I think of this scene.

I though the father is the one who locked himself in his room, not locking Yong Pil in? I would have thought with the way his window is designed, he could easily escape through the window..? Have to double check this scene.

Yong Pil has some explanation or grovelling to do once this drama is over, for not telling Samdal about Omma's health.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
4 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Yong Pil has some explanation or grovelling to do once this drama is over, for not telling Samdal about Omma's health.

Yes. I thought he didn't know too but I was feeling suspicious when she asked him and he said that she should go by whatever she felt. Kind of like hinting to her but at the same time he had to keep it a secret. This is a tough one and I can imagine how conflicted he would feel. Actually can omma still go diving like that with such a heart condition? Shouldn't the father have stopped her? But then again, mum is so stubborn that it is impossible to stop her. 

I though the father is the one who locked himself in his room, not locking Yong Pil in? I would have thought with the way his window is designed, he could easily escape through the window..? Have to double check this scene.

Oh maybe you are right....ahahaha...makes more sense for the father to lock himself up and use it as emotional blackmail. 

• Haha 2

Thanks for the review @mademoiselle and @abs-oluteM 

I started this but put it on hold after 2 episodes because I really cannot stand the character of Samdal. Your reviews made me pick it up again because I do love small town stories. It gets more interesting and I'm up to ep.6 now. But I still don't like how the FL is written. I mean for a person who strived hard and thrived for 18 years, she was brought down too easily. I was forgiving on this because I thought fine, it's something that needs to happen to make her go back to Jeju so that we have our story to watch, but turns out that we're not over that scandal yet. Halfway through ep.6, she drove me nuts again. She bought a ticket to Seoul and her confrontation was just like that?!? I cannot get why it was so important for her to find out whether or not she is the real reason that Eun Joo tried to commit suicide. I mean, she is going to believe whatever that came out of EJ's mouth? That girl could've just lied through her teeth and answered "yes" just out of spite and to see Samdal be guilt-ridden forever, and Samdal is going to give her the opportunity and let her do that?? I cannot reconcile how a successful woman, who worked hard from the bottom, in a big city as Seoul, for 18 years, could be so naive.... #rolleyes. She walked in on a meeting for a confrontation, but at the very crucial moment, she asked everyone to leave the room? So yeah, except for this part about her not using her brain in "defending" herself, I do enjoy the drama. Great acting from everyone. 

• Like 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

@ktcjdrama @abs-oluteM Does anyone know what the significance is of the scarf (in relation to the self-victimised assistant)?

Not sure as well. 

@ktcjdrama It is true that Sam Dal is not so well written. I did feel that the writing here is abit lopsided. Actually k and c dramas have this bad habit of writing the perfect ML but do such a bad job with the FL. :idk:

• Like 2

The ending and epilogue of ep.8 is so heart wrenching. I cannot tell from the preview whether or not Samdal’s mother survived or not. What do you guys think?

5 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

Actually k and c dramas have this bad habit of writing the perfect ML but do such a bad job with the FL. 

True this! I hated how they’ve written the FL in the later part of Moon in The Day too 🙄

Does anyone know what the significance is of the scarf (in relation to the self-victimised assistant)?

I think it’s just a reminder to herself how she (or rather her ideas) was “rejected” by Samdal? It’s a symbol of her pride? LOL... I don’t really care and hope not to see this part of the story again. We can just stay on Jeju island for the remaining episodes. 

On 12/26/2023 at 2:23 PM, abs-oluteM said:

we think they must have done some maintenance work

😄 some of my friends recently have been going to beauty clinics and getting some shots done. I have no idea exactly what/how. Personally I ain’t gonna spend that kind of money tbh. 

And yes, Yong Pil’s father locked himself in his room. 

On 12/25/2023 at 10:50 AM, mademoiselle said:

I didn't understand why Yong Pil always wrap flowery cloth around Samdal's Omma's flotation device (image above).

I actually think the floral pattern was rather dark and blended in too much with the color of surface of the sea. It’s good to put such a mark but I wished he’d chosen a much brighter color. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

@abs-oluteM @ktcjdrama In the beginning, I questioned Samdal as well on why she didn't defend herself and fight back. Her drunk tantrum drove me up the wall that I thought of quitting this drama. As I watch on, it was mentioned she did try to explain, but no one listens. That's when I realise this is a true depiction of South Korea's cancel culture. It doesn't matter what the truth is in the end, the media can sway the public's opinions towards the innocent easily with their media reports. Knetizens are quick to condemn someone without the person proving his/her case. Lee Sun Kyun's drug use case is a good example.

With regard to her reaction towards the assistant, I have an explanation.

I think it is normal and a good trait that Samdal was self-evaluating herself and questioning whether she did unintentionally cause harm to the assistant. She went through hardship as an assistant herself, and probably endured bullies in her old days, she could be worried that she had become one of those seniors herself and may have done something hurtful unknowingly.

As for not confronting the assistant in front of an audience, I believe for one, it's so that Samdal could really hear the true intention from her mouth. True that she can still lie, but unlikely when there are no audiences. She would play victim when people are around. Secondly, it's a private matter, there is no point having an audience—it does not do any good to Samdal. When she barges in, I believe she's made it clear to indicate the assistant stole her idea.

With this incident, I also believe Samdal lost her confidence. She thought her hard work paid off, she made it big and became successful, having gathered all these people around her, thinking they were all her friends, only to find out none of them stood with her—those people—whom she called "My person" in her gallery. That took a huge hit. I believe she's going through a crisis: self-doubt and being lost. What is the meaning of it all... she worked so hard for it as well... and all this came crumbling down on her.

• Clapping Hands 2
8 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I actually think the floral pattern was rather dark and blended in too much with the color of surface of the sea. It’s good to put such a mark but I wished he’d chosen a much brighter color. 

Yes! I thought the same too, especially for the dark blue (new) one. The earlier one is OK, at least it was lighter.

The ending and epilogue of ep.8 is so heart wrenching. I cannot tell from the preview whether or not Samdal’s mother survived or not. What do you guys think?

My hope is she survives. I honestly think there are issues that need to be resolved between her and Yong Pil's father, and this incident would be a good chance for Yong Pil's father to forgive.

I think it’s just a reminder to herself how she (or rather her ideas) was “rejected” by Samdal? It’s a symbol of her pride? LOL... I don’t really care and hope not to see this part of the story again. We can just stay on Jeju island for the remaining episodes. 

I think we will see her again, because she has to "fail" after committing theft. And justice needs to be served!

• Like 2

@mademoiselle great exposition on the character of Samdal. It's sad that I can understand her more after reading your comment instead of being able to gather from the show itself. I did get from later episodes that she did try to explain to people, but it wasn't that clear to me as viewers, I guess because the only way she was shown "defending" herself was on phone calls. She always got cut off and then just that. 

13 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

It doesn't matter what the truth is in the end, the media can sway the public's opinions towards the innocent easily with their media reports. Knetizens are quick to condemn someone without the person proving his/her case. Lee Sun Kyun's drug use case is a good example.

That is the terrifying truth and a very sad example :cry: Just cannot imagine his mental state through all those times. Someone as big name as him was still feeling so hopeless and helpless that he decided to end it all that way.

13 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I think we will see her again, because she has to "fail" after committing theft. And justice needs to be served!

Sure, just a brief one please... 

• Like 2

MTDzeiV.gif

@mademoiselle @ktcjdramaconsidering the tone of the pre-released , omma would have survived. I’m sure they’ll get back together- I think it would be ridiculous if they don’t ; but his dad’s resentment is a hurdle. 

• Like 2

My love for Young Pil is even greater now. He is not afraid to say the truth even if she may not like it

https://x.com/rainsketches/status/1741105760061550895?s=20

"Sure, as her daughter you have the right to know about it, I know u must be angry too but, you know. If only you came home at holidays or at least once a year u would've known abt your mom condition and stop her from diving. but you didn't come, did you?"

• Like 1

Prepare tissues, guys. I cried so much in episode 9. The friendship between the Omma was beautiful. I didn't realise "Cho Yong Pil" is a name of a famous singer they both love. Hahaha! That's how Yong Pil's name came from. The reason Yong Pil's Omma died was expected. I am not sure whether she should be blamed, since it was his Omma who made the choice to go into the sea.

Yong Pil's secret of looking over Omma has been ousted. His dad found out and they had a huge fight. We weren't gotten told what the outcome is. Both his friends (Gyeong Tae and Eun Woo) also found out, and Gyeong Tae told Samdal.

I wonder who paid the hospital bill. Yong Pil said it wasn't him, so I'm inclined to think it's Jin Dal's ex-husband, since he was there at the hospital. If not, it would be Bu Sang Do.

• Clapping Hands 1

Episode 10

This shouldn't be watched whilst eating. I was ugly crying eating McDonald's. 2024 first meal, too! 😅

We get the full story of how Samdal and Yong Pil broke up now. No wonder both of them are confused with who dumped who! After Yong Pil's father asked Samdal to leave Yong Pil, she tried to break up with him, but she came back begging him to take her back, and that's when he asked (agreed) to break up. She didn't know Yong Pil did it after finding out Omma's condition. The scene where both breaking down bawling were so heart-wrenching. The death anniversary scene where father and son fought, and the father scolded Omma breaks my heart, too. 😭 A lot of ugly crying, but somewhat makes me love this show more.

I thought it was funny that all the "secret" spots Samdal remembered had all became a tourist place. It is a relatable feeling—of how difficult finding a good shot without anyone photo bombing. It's a good thing tourism brings in the $, but it also felt the peace of a sacred, beautiful place is disturbed. Hence, I'm not so sure I like the idea of AS Group's investing in Samdalri. The profession of Haenyeo is dangerous, but it is so traditional and precious that I don't want it lost to new age and modernization. What a dilemma.

It's hilarious how 3 daughters' brains are in no comparison to 1 grand-daughter's. :laugh: But then I honestly thought nothing would stop Omma going back. I feel that she's now doing this not just for herself, but on behalf of Bu Mi Ja. In some twisted way, I wonder if she actually wanted to die in the sea or hoping Mi Ja would take her, too. You know, like how Jack and Rose in Titanic. Rose promised to live on and she did live diligently, fulfilling her promise. Same for Mi Ja, she lives on due to family and Yong Pil, but once all her worries are relieved, it felt like she will then let go. Much like the old Rose, dying at the same spot where Titanic sank, and her spirit reunites with Jack. I'm already crying thinking about this, but if Omma really goes this way, it's so tragic yet so beautiful. 

I like how the wedding couples asked Samdal to help them take photos. From feeling awkward to easing it in. Cho Samdal regains her passion. I'm not sure if they knew she's supposedly a fame photographer; if they knew, then I thought it's impolite to ask her to take photos for free—as it feels like they are taking advantage of her situation. If they don't then that's OK. I am banking on them posting it on social media later.

Next episode we'll see the return of evil assistant. Looks like she is confronted with something negative. Ha! I hope it's what I thought, her talent being questioned. Heh.

• Clapping Hands 1
On 12/26/2023 at 5:39 PM, abs-oluteM said:

@Dhakra are you gonna watch this since it has JCW?

Yes, I watch it with great pleasure! I look forward to each episode during the week and can't wait until it's weekend. 

I think mostly because, and I don't know if you noticed, the drama has a lot of similarities to Plus Nine Boys. Only this time it is from the girls point of view and the youngest doesn't have a love line. Back then it were four brothers, this time it's 3 sisters and one daughter.
It's such a nice watch every week.

10 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

We get the full story of how Samdal and Yong Pil broke up now. No wonder both of them are confused with who dumped who! After Yong Pil's father asked Samdal to leave Yong Pil, she tried to break up with him, but she came back begging him to take her back, and that's when he asked (agreed) to break up. She didn't know Yong Pil did it after finding out Omma's condition. The scene where both breaking down bawling were so heart-wrenching. The death anniversary scene where father and son fought, and the father scolded Omma breaks my heart, too. 😭 A lot of ugly crying, but somewhat makes me love this show more.

I agree. It was so heart-breaking to watch, especially how they both cried. The only thing I disliked this week is it felt a bit like we went in circles. The end of episode 9 is pretty much the same as ep 10 and it seems even in the upcoming episode 11 not everything is resolved at first. 

Samdal still doesn't know why he broke up back then and also doesn't know he got thrown out for never stopping to love her and caring for her family.

I actually hope Samdal stays in Jeju and maybe begins chasing a career as wedding photographer or something similiar, she seemed to had fun at the end and it would be a nice career path too for her. After all Jeju is kinda her hood. 

Edited by Dhakra
  • Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1