Welcome to Samdalri 웰컴투 삼달리 [2023-2024]

23 hours ago, Dhakra said:

I think mostly because, and I don't know if you noticed, the drama has a lot of similarities to Plus Nine Boys. Only this time it is from the girls point of view and the youngest doesn't have a love line. Back then it were four brothers, this time it's 3 sisters and one daughter.
It's such a nice watch every week.

It didn't occur to me till you mentioned it, and yes I do see some similarities. 

I am watching the recent episodes though I confessed I have seen the second half of eps 10 first because I wanted to know so bad what the aftermath of the kiss was. I knew it won't be such an easy road for them to get together.

@mademoiselle I see you are able to post videos now. Did you encounter any issues like earlier?

• Like 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

8 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

It didn't occur to me till you mentioned it, and yes I do see some similarities. 

I am watching the recent episodes though I confessed I have seen the second half of eps 10 first because I wanted to know so bad what the aftermath of the kiss was. I knew it won't be such an easy road for them to get together.

It occured to me when they started to give each of the sisters a love interest, each sister has her own story and hardships to overcome. The plot between Samdal & Yongpil is quite similiar aswell, Kim Young Kwang & Kyung Soo Jin's characters back then shared the same history.

• Like 2

The last two episodes were really good. I shed some tears especially in episode 9. We finally see everyone's point of view, and got to see why Young Pil's dad held so much resentment against her mother. That resentment has brought much pain to both families and to our leads, and much of that was unnecessary. I am not making light of his pain & grief, but he is being unfair to all concern. 

But I am glad that there's some sort of progress in a sense that the leads are realising that there's still plenty of feelings left. I think it was a good thing dad kicked Young Pil out - Young Pil has held on long enough and has been just concerned with everyone else's feelings at the expense of his own. 

• Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Ep.10 is my favorite so far. And to set the record straight, at least in my record :laugh: Samdal is the one who dumped Yong Pil.

You guys are right. I think they now apply filters to the screen to make actors look younger. Nowadays, when the older people are shown their younger self, I notice that their faces are smoother. One example is grandma in Strong Girl Nam Soon. There are others but I cannot recall off hand. 

• Haha 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Posted (edited)

Episode 11

I'm now more interested in Jindal and ex-husband's love line. I was moved to tears when he finally said that's the only way to stop her mother from going into the sea! 😭 Take this poor puppy back, Jindal! He needs you. He never stopped loving you, and he adored you! He may not have been a great husband, though. His mother was bullying Jindal, and he most likely didn't do anything about it. I'm not sure if he even knows. He's a simple-minded kind of guy. But, I do think he should get a second chance.

The love line between the main OTP is getting too draggy for my liking. I also have zero care of Bu Sang Do's one-sided crush on Samdal. The love triangle is redundant here. Even so, I thought it was funny the two belatedly had a childish fight.

But the funniest had to be the haenyeo scene! :lmao2: When Omma drove her quad bike to meet Namdalri haenyeo, she looked so BADASS and cool! God, I love Kim Mi Kyung!

Last but not least, yes to the assistant losing that X-Project! But looks like she's out to do more damage again in the next episode. Hmph! 

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Clapping Hands 1
37 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

But the funniest had to be the haenyeo scene! :lmao2: When Omma drove her quad bike to meet Namdalri haenyeo, she looked so BADASS and cool! God, I love Kim Mi Kyung!

This scene was hilarious. I had such a good laugh...

I am conflicted about whether theme parks like the one being planned is good or bad. I get that it brings development & perhaps helps the locals in terms of compensation and new business opportunities. But there are also environmental concerns & brings an end to a way of life ( like a cultural extinction). Anyhow, JD's ex hubs had good intentions moving the theme park to Samdalri. I too hope that they can reunite - this love line is the cutest!

Mr Nice car should just stop...if he's going to continue , please first tell SamDal. I am always amused that people think that in love triangles, the best man wins. No, it's never about who is the best candidate because the heart wants what it wants. SD's feelings for YP has always been there. Even when she was dating that cheater ex, I believe those feelings just went dormant. Yeah, it is a bit draggy now so I hope they get together and deal with the dad. 

• Clapping Hands 1

Posted (edited)

Episode 12

This drama keeps making me cry, but it's the good kind of crying. Kim Mi Kyung is the best Kdrama Omma! The award association should create Best Omma Award to give her because no one does it as well as her, seriously. Even when she was holding little Ha Yul and said nothing in here, her role in Hi! Bye! Mama came into mind, the scene where she forced Lee Kyu Hyung to take care of the baby himself, so that he can be strong and live on after Kim Tae Hee's death. 

Never once I'm not moved by her when she starts standing up for her children. I was again in tears when she scolded Samdal for enduring being hit by Bang Eun Joo's mother, totally infected by the pained emotion of a parent's watching their own child being bullied by strangers. I still think Bang Eun Joo got out of Samdalri too easily. It's only vinegar. She deserves poo water. 😅 If Samdal's ex still doesn't dump her after this incident, he's an idiot. Yong Pil should have punched him, to be honest. I think there is a story behind the scarf, I am curious about this. I just hope this scarf's backstory doesn't mean redemption for Eun Joo. I don't need her redemption.

I also ugly cry at the scene when Hae Dal found out the reason Ha Yul hid Omma's diving suit. That was also a touching scene. Though the progress for her love line is going a little bit too slow... 

As for Jindal, I went "awww" at Dae Young saying he misses the time when Jindal always look out for him so he wouldn't be scolded by his father, and now, he's being scolded every day. Their love line is so funny, yet kind of sweet.

I can't predict what Omma plans to do, but since she has an epiphany of not allowing anyone bully her child, I hope she does something with Yong Pil's dad soon. It's Yong Pil's mother's wish that the children would marry anyway, they should give them their blessings. I'm glad the cat is out of the bag, Yong Pil should handle his dad and protect Samdal. Often a situation such as this, time is the solution. It may be a long fight, but parents will eventually give in because not only their children are getting older, they are too and "having grandchildren" become more important than anything else. Kekeke.

@gilaswan Do you want to try this out? It's really good thus far!

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

@mademoiselle I had such a good laugh when mum threw the vinegar on that Bang Eun Joo. That felt quite satisfying. While I understand that those who love Sam Dal felt much pain seeing her get beaten, it was a good thing that Sam Dal didn't physically retaliate when BEJ's mother hit her. She would still appear like the bad guy and would have worsen the situation. Anyway , I love the entire village rallying around Sam Dal. It's such an assurance for Sam Dal that this place is truly home. 

So I really can't with Yong Pil's father - the man has crossed the line. Yes, he's the father but this bitterness of his is just unreasonable. Urghhh...but I agree that it really is SamDal's mum who has to settle this with him once and for all. The root of the grudge is YPs' father still blaming SD's mum for his wife's death. I just need Sam Dal to be brave and not cower. 

• Clapping Hands 1

7 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I just need Sam Dal to be brave and not cower. 

Yeah, she needs to get some sass from Jindal. Although I can see Jindal was also restraining herself when interacting with the mother-in-law. I feel this one is another "secret" waiting for Omma to find out and get her heart broken again another daughter of hers was bullied. Sigh.

• Clapping Hands 1

Only up to Episode 9 and not in too much of a hurry to catch up especially when there's still two more weeks worth of episodes unaired. 

This is the first piece of fluff that I've enjoyed in a rather long time. As people know I wasn't a fan of HomeCha but this one does feel much more authentic and lived-in. There's much more of a community feeling in this and I appreciate the weather forecasting angle to it which adds another layer to the story. Certainly people who live near water would have a heightened consciousness of the dangers of nature but also rely a lot more on the natural environment for their daily living.

At it's core there's nothing especially groundbreaking about this although I like the camaraderie of the haenyeos. It's still rather charming to see people generally quite supportive of each other. There is the usual small town gossip which is nicely tampered by push back. The villagers aren't a monolith thankfully. They don't all hold a single opinion about every single subject as some of these dramas lead you to believe. 

It helps too that I like both leads -- good actors can do a lot to elevate the material but I do like how Yong-pil and Sam-dal are written. Their motivations are clearly laid and they make sense in light of where they come from, who they are at their core. Both crave community more than they do material success -- and honestly I don't have any problems with that. I have seen Yong-pil cop a bit of flak for being unambitious but really to me, a boy who lost his mother tragically to the sea, it's not hard to see why he prioritizes family over career. With Sam-dal too, I'm not that surprised that she's put her career on hold because she's completely disillusioned with the industry stakeholders. It's true that she should be aware of the cut-throat nature of the business but she's a talented individual who worked hard to prove herself coming up against a subordinate who thinks she can take shortcuts to success.

Unlike what his father thinks, Yong-pil does prioritize family which is why he is still in Samdal-ri. He's keeping an eye on his dad who is still harbouring a festering wound and he's cast a watchful eye over Ko Mi-ja which has always been a second mother to him. Whatever anger he feels about losing his birth mother, is overridden by his concern for Ko Mi-ja's survival. There is a surprising recklessness to Mi-ja although I imagine a large part is survivor's guilt. I am sympathetic about the loss that both men suffered -- who wouldn't be? Even Yong-pil's dad wanting to cling on to a resentment just to hold on to the memory and to show he hasn't forgotten. I get all of that that. But remembering doesn't have to be about anger as it is here. It should be about love. Otherwise it's no longer about his Mi-ja but about him and the other Mi-ja. Also it's about how his Mi-ja died and not how she lived. 

Then there's the innocent bystanders who become casualty in this cold war. It's silly but people who cling on to their grief are usually pretty selfish. 

I definitely don't have SLS. There are a lot of people in this show who are living in the past for one reason or another. Sang-do is one of them. The reason why living in the past can be a very bad thing is because is causes people to miss out on what's in front of them or what good things the future could hold for them. Sang-do obviously doesn't see himself as a side character in his own story. To him, it's a second chance story. To me I think he is just trying to make himself the romantic hero in a story with Sam-dal. He someone who would definitely benefit from leaving that place for a while.

• Clapping Hands 2

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

On 1/12/2024 at 8:20 AM, 40somethingahjumma said:

definitely don't have SLS. There are a lot of people in this show who are living in the past for one reason or another. Sang-do is one of them. The reason why living in the past can be a very bad thing is because is causes people to miss out on what's in front of them or what good things the future could hold for them. Sang-do obviously doesn't see himself as a side character in his own story. To him, it's a second chance story. To me I think he is just trying to make himself the romantic hero in a story with Sam-dal. He someone who would definitely benefit from leaving that place for a while.

I think he's a nice guy , but no SLS whatsoever from me. It is clear where both Young Pil and Sam-Dal's hearts lie, and after the recent episodes, Young Pil's love for SamDal is really unmatched.

---------------------------------------

Last night's episode made me shed plenty of tears. I love the bit when we found out YP has still been supporting her all this while by going to her exhibitions without her knowledge. YP is so good that it would be crazy to let go of him ....anyway I like that Sam Dal's made up her mind not to be intimidated by the father.

But the scene that really hit me the hardest was this: 

• Sad 1

OST 8

BTS

Episode 14

The start of the episode, the drama already made me ugly cry. LOL!

I feel sorry for Bu Sang Do when he said there was no crack between them that would give him a chance, and appreciated that he didn't act selfishly by confessing to Samdal. He's right that if he does, it'll only make Samdal feel apologetic for not being able to reciprocate his feelings. It's better that he handles the heartbreak himself. At least now he knows he doesn't stand a chance.

When it's revealed just how much these two love one another, I actually began to feel scared for this kind of strong relationship they share. It's precious but I can't imagine how hard it would be if something happen to one of them, and a life is lost!

Glad Omma got her sass back and Yong Pil's dad had finally come around to give his blessing. Yayyy! True that it can't drag on for too long because it's time to wrap things up next week.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Clapping Hands 1
On 1/15/2024 at 4:53 PM, mademoiselle said:

The start of the episode, the drama already made me ugly cry. LOL!

Me too. Right till the end! 

What I felt really changed YP's dad's mind is the fact that both omma and Sam Dal refused to be guilted by him any more.  For me , it is impossible to change how someone thinks or feels especially in this case. But you don't have to let them control you. Mum and SD's concerted effort to just push through and break the father's wall made all the difference. So glad they didn't leave this till the end as YP and SD needs a nice wedding.

• Like 1

@abs-oluteM Yeah, I think Omma's outburst also made him realise he isn't the only who is in pain. Mi Ja was also a very dear BFF of Omma. Technically, they were BFF even way before Mi Ja marries him, how could he be so mean? I was sad and upset for Yong Pil too when he thought his dad is still only focusing on his own pain for losing a lover, and is not thinking about his own son. Thankfully, Dad comes around and gave his blessing. I love the part where Samdal revealed that she knows Dad never disliked her and on the contrary, actually really like her and wants her to be his daughter. *CRIES* 

• Clapping Hands 1
On 1/14/2024 at 6:47 PM, abs-oluteM said:

Last night's episode made me shed plenty of tears.

I lost count how may times I cried while watching ep. 13 last night. And yes, the one that got me sobbing was the scene where Samdal's mother finally wailed out how she misses her best friend too. She definitely held it in for too long.

Since ep.14 is gonna be another cry fest, I will wait and watch it later. 

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Ep.14 was not too bad in terms of the tears shed, haha... Honestly I was getting very tired of Yong Pil's father holding the grudge towards Samdal's mother. By right, they were sworn sisters first, and they knew each other longer than he married her. He couldn't think that she would be as sad or even sadder than him with the death??The scripts are good though, when Samdal's mother said that if she did kill his wife, she should be held in prison already. And there were others, like when Yong Pil's father was told "like father like son". I like how his coming around on this matter was done quite naturally, doesn't feel forced at all. I teared up when he finally shouted out his approval to them dating. Indeed, what Yong Pil and Samdal have is a reflection of his love for his wife. I appreciate that we finally clear that obstacle this episode and no longer dragged on to the finale week. I was happy tearing up and smiling, but the epilogue left a bad taste. Urgh! Do we still have to see her? Okay okay, we need justice for Samdal, so I will bear with it a little longer. This time give me something more than splashing vinegar, please? 

• Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif