Shadow Detective 2 형사록 2 (2023)

Shadow Detective 2 형사록 2

Shadow_Detective_2-p1.jpg

This is a sequel to Shadow Detective Season 1 .

Unfolds the ultimate counterattack of veteran homicide detective Kim Taek Rok, who has returned to investigate the secret mastermind behind the blackmailer 'Friend'.

Season 1's synopsis

Spoiler

Kim Taek-Rok (Lee Sung-Min) is a veteran detective at the Geumo Police Station. He is waiting for his retirement. Kook Jin-Han (Jin Goo) gets transferred to Geumo Police Station as the chief of the investigation squad where Kim Taek-Rok works. One day, Kim Taek-Rok receives a phone call. The caller tells Kim Taek-Rok that he is an old friend. That is how the mysterious phone calls his begins. On a call, Kim Taek-Rok's old friend tells him that he killed Kim Taek-Rok’s colleague Woo Hyun-Seok. Kim Taek-Rok soon becomes a suspect in the murder of Woo Hyun-Seok. The caller suggests that they should look into Kim Taek-Rok's past to find things he did wrong. Initially, Kook Jin-Han suspects Kim Taek-Rok as the murderer in Woo Hyun-Seok's death, but he begins to trust Kim Taek-Rok and his innocence. They begin to look for Kim Taek-Rok’s old friend with the help of detectives Lee Sung-A (Kyung Soo-Jin) and Son Kyung-Chan (Lee Hak-Joo).

Director: Han Dong-Hwa

Writer: Im Chang-Se

Network: Disney+

Episodes: 8

Release Date: July 5, 2023 

Runtime:  2 episodes every Wednesday

• Like 1
  • Party! 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Cast list from MDL:

Spoiler

Main Role

Support Role

Guest Role

Teaser

• Like 1
  • Party! 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Decided to open this thread since I really liked S1. I watched S1 over the past week and I loved how we followed Kim Tae Rok's journey as he tried to prove his innocence after being accused of killing his good friend and fellow cop, Woo Hyun Seok. What made this show very interesting was that KTR was put in this situation by a mysterious caller "Friend.”

Throughout the 1st 6 episodes, I was personally on a roller coaster ride with KTR as he tried to find out who "Friend" was. "Friend" seemed to know KTR really well and knew his every move. So there were many speculations about who around him was that person. 

Initially , KTR was forced to reopen cases that had been closed to find the actual perpetrator or deliver justice for the victims. So it seemed that Friend is trying to bring down those who are corrupt within the Police. Along the way, KTR had to confront the truth about some of his closest friends / colleagues and how they have been taking bribes and doing favours for politicians and corporations. However, the story took an even more interesting turn, towards the end of eps 6. We were finally shown who this "Friend" was and his motivations for putting KTR through this hell. Was I surprised? Let's just say I had initially speculated that this person could be "Friend" , but changed my mind later on. Then I was surprised again with the reveal towards the end. 

Lee Sung Min delivered such a good performance as a seasoned cop on the verge of retirement but now unwittingly forced into this dangerous game by an unknown person / organisation. The rest of the cast was good for their roles , though Kyung Soo Jin and Lee Hak Joo were somewhat underutilised. From S2 teasers, I think they would be getting more screen time and development. The one that surprised me was JinGoo. He did such a good job playing Chief Investigator Kook , and I really enjoyed the dynamics of his scenes with LSM. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

33 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

@40somethingahjumma I liked S1 so much I even open a thread here 😆 . Did you start on S2?

@Chocolate will join you in discussing soon. I have completed 3 eps of S2 . So far so good . 

I knew you would enjoy this show. :D For me the first episode contains one of the best introductions of a protagonist that I've ever seen in a K drama. If not the best.

Yes. I couldn't resist so I started S2 pretty much straight away. Haha. It's pretty good so far. Not as convoluted as the first season but still good.

These July thrillers have been pretty good. I'm also enjoying Revenant as well. I've just started on Miraculous Brothers which is definitely brimming with potential. 

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

8 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

These July thrillers have been pretty good. I'm also enjoying Revenant as well. I've just started on Miraculous Brothers which is definitely brimming with potential. 

Miraculous Brothers is good ( so far !) . It is one of the better fantasy thrillers that I have seen in recent times. It's quite decently paced and despite it being a time slip drama of sorts , there's coherence to the plot.  Come chat on the thread once you've caught up. 

• Like 1
  • Party! 3

Just some thoughts up to eps 4.... 

At the start , KTR seemed rather depressed. 1.5 years is a long time to be away but given all that he has been through, KTR definitely needed some time off.  However,  KTR tends to blame himself for everything and I am not surprised that he felt partially responsible for Kook's death. Hence it would be somewhat strange that he didn't take further action. So I am glad that it was revealed that  KTR used this time to do such an extensive investigation on his own. 

So who is the real "Friend" ? It is an organisation but there has to be a mastermind. This guy is not giving me good vibes despite being so kind. But I hope to be proven wrong since KTR treasures their friendship...

Spoiler

Shadow_Detective_2-Jung_Jin_Young.jpg

Anyway, I am glad to see that KTR still has a core group of people he can trust. I chuckled when it was shown that the previous gosiwon manager ended up being a cop and is now his partner :D. Ki Tae who's now the new manager and Dong Bum are still providing him support. But what upsets me is that KTR is refusing to have Sunga and Kyung Chan get involved for their own safety. This has backfired as he can't possibly stop them from being curious. Now, Kyung Chan has found out what but has to keep things to himself. This only makes Sunga more exasperated. And given her personality  and how she looks up to KTR, she won't be able to sit down and do nothing. I read some comments saying that Sunga is too rash etc. But I think she's a good detective and just like in S1 would be an asset to KTR. 

Some other interesting developments is the introduction of Team Leader Yeon. I know they wanted us to think that she works for Friend , but it has been revealed she's actually investigating KTR and those around him . Former Police Chief Seo gets a chance at redeeming himself. He's freed but on the condition he uses his slush fund to trap Assemblyman Lee Young Ho. Then there's the new Chief Baek who already has an untrustworthy face :GrowDerp:...so no surprise that he and Team Leader Han are in cahoots and up to no good. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

On 7/20/2023 at 8:02 PM, Chocolate said:

After episode 5, I just want to say

Reveal hidden contents

I don't remember the finer points of S1 much. Think will need a re-watch.

Now that I am all caught up....I can't help but feel disappointed. Not that it should come as a surprise that Mr Nice Guy is too good to be true.  Like you, it is KTR that I feel bad for. That look on his face when he finally realised Mr Nice Guy is the mastermind was heart breaking. The personal cost to KTR is just too much. :cry:.

This Geumjang society thing reminds me of another crime drama - Watcher ( starring Han Suk Kyu, Seo Kang Joon and Kim Hyun Joo.) I remembered we watched this together @40somethingahjumma. That show too had this elite group of cops who seem so powerful and untouchable , manipulating everything from within. The leads were trying to figure out who was part of this group too. Not sure if you watched it @Chocolate - I liked it,  though  the storytelling there was a tad too complicated. Here the pacing is better and story makes more sense. 

Anyway, I believe that when Choi continued running Geumjang , he had good intentions. As in I think he sincerely wanted to root out corruption etc and make a change from within the police force. I don't actually think he craves power for power itself. Unfortunately he got trapped by Lee Young Ho then and didn't have a choice but to "work" with LYH. So Choi started playing the long game. He knew that to achieve his goals , there are sacrifices and compromises to be made. Sadly, along the way he ended up perverting the course of justice.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

9 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

This Geumjang society thing reminds me of another crime drama - Watcher ( starring Han Suk Kyu, Seo Kang Joon and Kim Hyun Joo.) I remembered we watched this together @40somethingahjumma. That show too had this elite group of cops who seem so powerful and untouchable , manipulating everything from within. The leads were trying to figure out who was part of this group too. Not sure if you watched it @Chocolate - I liked it,  though  the storytelling there was a tad too complicated. Here the pacing is better and story makes more sense. 

Anyway, I believe that when Choi continued running Geumjang , he had good intentions. As in I think he sincerely wanted to root out corruption etc and make a change from within the police force. I don't actually think he craves power for power itself. Unfortunately he got trapped by Lee Young Ho then and didn't have a choice but to "work" with LYH. So Choi started playing the long game. He knew that to achieve his goals , there are sacrifices and compromises to be made. Sadly, along the way he ended up perverting the course of justice.

Yes, I watched Watcher a few months ago. Not bad, but Shadow Detective is much better.

I thought Choi was already involved in some drug thing before he was "caught" by LYH? Or did I get that wrong... oops.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

I thought Choi was already involved in some drug thing before he was "caught" by LYH? Or did I get that wrong... oops.

That part was kind of fuzzy to me...I thought he was being trapped by LYH? LYH found out about their society and said he will make it a reality for Choi. Think I will need to rewatch that bit. But I do remember the Kwon guy going to get the drugs stuff too...

• Like 2

@abs-oluteM @Chocolate

My understanding is that Choi Do-hyung was coerced into joining forces with Assembly Lee when the latter was the chief prosecutor. Choi Do-hyung was practically blackmailed when evidence was apparently found in one of his men's homes who was also tortured. From the stunned look on Choi Do-hyung's face I think the implication is that the evidence was planted and torture was applied to extract a forced confession. Lee Young-ho was trying to turn the Geumjeong Society into his own personal militia to help him on his road to power, mowing down any and all opposition.

I imagine this exemplifies the thinking that in this world there's no right and wrong... there's only power. Whoever has the most power wins. Not truth or justice. It is unfortunately the result of large scale corruption.

• Insightful 2

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

At first I thought that CDY did this because he was disillusioned - as in he felt that as law enforcers their hands were tied and that the law didn't protect the cops themselves. I could understand if he had desired the power in hopes of bringing positive changes. But then in the flashbacks, you could see that he was so trigger happy and I realise the issue here is that he had a lot of pride. It was his pride and ego that was his downfall. I am glad they didn't go redeem him or something because he was just power hungry all the way.  

I noticed the episodes got shorter in the 2nd season though I am not complaining since I felt that they could have done the entire 2 parts in 12 episodes. Overall , this was a great series with excellent performance by Lee Sung Min. I initially checked this out because I do love a good police procedural, and in that respect the show did not fail me. The first part with Jin Goo was definitely more exciting with all that guessing over who "Friend" was. The 2nd half was slightly draggy but more emotional as we got to see a lot of flashbacks helping us to piece things together and got to see how close KTR and CDY were. I was quite invested in Kim Tae Rok's personal journey in this and finally understood why he kept blaming himself since this "secret society" was his idea to begin with. But unlike CDY, Kim never meant for it to be used as a means to secure power or advance his personal agenda.  It was sad that the friend he trusted and loved working with was the ultimate villain. 

On another note, ever since OCN was absorbed by TVN , they don't make good crime (police)  dramas like they used to. So this was a pleasant surprise. The last time I really enjoyed a good one was Beyond Evil ( and that was by JTBC). 

@Chocolate @40somethingahjumma did you finish this?

• Clapping Hands 2

@abs-oluteM Yes, I've finished this too.

It reminds me of the HK triad dramas/movies, where there is a crooked division in the police. It all depends on the leader. Taekrok was strong enough to leave. His friend had already lost his leg and could not continue as police. The rest I think would be caught up along with CDY since they just blindly followed.

I was surprised though that CDY turned out to be a true villian. Non repentant to the end.

But why did Taekrok end up in the village police station? But that was one h*** of a beachside station - I wouldn't mind working and living there 😆

• Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

@abs-oluteM

Yes, I have finished it. I've been so busy watching all kinds of stuff that I didn't post my final thoughts here. I was actually going to post something on my blog but I got a bit distracted. ;)

Overall I really liked the series. It reminds me somewhat of a favourite film, L.A. Confidential. Both seasons feel different but in light of what we know in S2, a lot more of S1 makes sense. 

It's a fascinating character study of two very different men. They both want the same thing but they certainly don't agree on how to achieve it. Taek-rok cares about people. That's what BST was meant to be for him. About protecting people. For Do-hyung because he felt powerless against the corrupt bureaucracy, he believed gaining power was the key. That's what Geumjeong was to him. A tool to gain power and then to maintain it. I'm not unsympathetic to his frustration with the system but as people said to him in the end, he killed so many cops to achieve his goals. There's a great scene of him washing the blood off his sleeves in the bathroom just before he gives his speech at the welcome to the party event. It richly symbolic. Sort of like Lady Macbeth and Pontius Pilate. He's spilt blood to get to where he is. I actually appreciate the fact that he was unrepentant to the end because a good antagonist always thinks that he/she is right.

The way to fix corruption isn't more corruption. It often makes things much much worse. And consider all the collateral damage.

• Clapping Hands 2