Twinkling Watermelon 반짝이는 워터멜론 [2023]

mademoiselle

375303127-895146395315164-38510105411749

• Drama: Twinkling Watermelon (English title) / Sparkling Watermelon (literal title)
  • Revised romanization: Banjjakyineun Watermelon
  • Hangul: 반짝이는 워터멜론
  • Director: Son Jung-Hyun
  • Writer: Jin Soo-Wan
  • Network: tvN
  • Streaming sites: Rakuten Viki | VIU | iQiyi
  • Episodes: 16
  • Release Date: September 25 – November 14, 2023

Plot Summary

High school student Eun Gyeol (Ryeo Un) has hearing-impaired parents, but he has a gift for music. He is a model student by day and plays the guitar in a band at night. One day, he visits a mysterious musical instruments store and travels to a strange place. There, Eun Gyeol meets Lee Chan (Choi Hyun-Wook), Choi Se-Kyung (Seol In-A) and Yoon Chung-A (Shin Eun-Soo). They form a band called Watermelon Sugar. Meanwhile, Lee Chan has a crush on Choi Se-Kyung, who is known as the Cello Goddess of Seowon Arts High School, and tries to win her heart. Yoon Chung-A is hearing-impaired. She is cold and aloof to others (source: AsianWiki).

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 3

We haven't met the mom yet, but it seems like the dad was not born deaf.

I hope HEG doesn't have a love line because it would be a little strange to have one with his mom or his dad's first love. :psweatduck:

HEG is such a wonderful brother. He takes up his brother's sport just so he can help translate. That's dedication and also why I'm sad to see episode two's preview. I think a lot of his dad's feeling might have something to do with a past trauma. 

• Like 1

I'm watching this right now so I might be making multiple comments --- Spine9 members or whatever they are called are selfish as heck. HEG has told them his family comes first before he joined their band. They are tell him to put them first -- that he's 18 so he should choose them instead of his family. They've only known him for how long? What is this?! That's some manipulative crap going on there. HEG should leave this group regardless of how much he likes music. This band does not have his back if they are making comments like that to him. 

• Like 2

@mademoiselle It's foreshadowed that an incident happened when the dad was younger. I am assuming that's the reason why the dad became deaf. The mom has not been shown much, but it does seem like she may have been born deaf. 

I think the reason the dad is against HEG doing music is tied to the incident. I'm curious to find out what kind of incident it was.

• Like 2

Finally watched episode 2 and I must say the actors are doing a very good job with the signing despite not being deaf nor CODA themselves, especially actor Choi Wonyoung. He's got the mannerism and very use of non-manual markers down in a convincing manner. I'm usually quite critical of non-deaf signers pretending to be deaf (I should stop being so critical actually :thinking:), but truly, their hearing-masquerading-as-deaf is not distracting. I am enjoying the show and story.

The scene where Eungyeol was arguing with his dad was particularly emotional - I could feel myself choking up. The frustration Eungyeol felt, and the equal despair Dad had (given the duality of his being Korean and the harsh culture there, and Deaf). It's unfortunate but true in many ways that hearing CODA (especially in earlier generations) are unwittingly placed in situations where they are truly forced to grow up sooner than they should. Even the scene when he was younger and the hearing adults say unkind things and he filters them for his parents - not ethical from an interpreter's POV, but for a child in a family, hearing hurtful things not meant for children, about their parents who are meant to be adults they look up to. It's very tough. 

Then that other scene with the interpreter outside the police station where the former landlady was badmouthing dad and Eungyeol. I thought the interpreter acted very unprofessionally by the code of ethics for sign language interpreters. But then, I can imagine it happens in some cultures still. And that's where Deaf persons start to develop distrust of private interpreters, hence falling back on family as the preferred interpreter (though there are ethical issues with this). WIth Eungyeol wanting to move in a direction away from what his Dad wanted for him, trust is also shattered. Aiyoh... so heartbreaking for everyone involved. 

Show's story seems to be a mishmash of the 2021 movie "CODA" and Back to the Future. I hope it doesn't disappoint as the story unravels!

• Like 2

I ended up watching both episodes after seeing the cut of Choi Won Young and Ryeoun's argue scene. Choi Won Young is great when he's got a good script. I like Ryeoun in this drama, and is happy that he is the main lead and has more screen time than in 18 Again etc. This character suits him.

@Tofu The father is not naturally born deaf, so he should ideally be able to speak. But he isn't speaking, either. Now I'm really curious what really happen—a medical condition that cause him to lose his voice and hearing?

Since Eun Gyeol time-travelled and in the preview, he said he's Yoon Dong Jin so could he be the “real” Yoon Dong Jin since the one in present day looks fake.

I think the unfinished music piece originally belongs to Eun Gyeol. He didn't finish it in the past, and he received it in the future.

• Like 1

@mademoiselle@Tofu it usually is rare that late deafened persons (especially if as the story suggests, dad lost his hearing likely in late teens/early young adulthood) end up opting to go voiceless in their coms. Many remain able and comfortable to voice for themselves although possibly young enough to pick up Sign fluently and interact comfortably in the Deaf community still (I picked up Sign in my mid-teens and am fluent in it now, spending equal time within both the Deaf and hearing communities). It is very likely that trauma (whatever it might have been) has caused him to reject speech and the hearing community, cos Dad in the present seems to have a strong dislike for the Hearing.

Who is present day “Yoon Dong Jin”?

• Like 2

OK, never mind my previous post, Yoon Dong Jin does exist.

As expected, Eun Gyeol spent a good while being lost in 1995. I just wish Eun Gyeol gets a chance to play guitar at the end of the episode. Now I've to wait another episode for Yi Chan to realise Eun Gyeol is the guitarist he seeks.

Did you guys think the actor playing Yi Chan is good at acting? Was it deliberately that he speaks the way he does? If he doesn't, then I think his line delivery needs more improvement. I've seen him in Racket Boys and 2521, but I don't remember if he speaks like this.

I liked the bit Eun Gyeol narrated that he's never think too much into his parents' past. In his defence, how could he? He's only a kid. Obviously, we know this time-travelling will give him insights into his parents' past and help him reconcile or connect with them when he returns.

I thought when Eun Gyeol saw Choi Se Kyung, the show is going to tell us he fell for her. How glad was I when he exclaimed, “Ahjumma!” :laugh: This means there won't be a side-plot of father/son falling for the same girl! Though, I'm pretty sure Seol In Ah will play dual roles, potentially as Se Kyung's daughter.

• Like 1
On 9/29/2023 at 1:01 AM, gilaswan said:

Who is present day “Yoon Dong Jin”?

Like @mademoiselle said, he was the person that was interviewed in episode two. Yoon Dong Jin is played by Yoon Do Hyun, which makes sense because Yoon Do Hyun is an amazing musician (also part of a band). 

9 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Did you guys think the actor playing Yi Chan is good at acting?

I'm not blown away, but I think he's doing fine. I'm not too familiar with him, so I can't really compare his acting to anything I've seen before. I think Ryeoun is doing a wonderful job though. I really like him in roles like this and I hope he continue to grow and improve. 

--------------------------------------

This drama might be my favorite one airing right now. I inherently have a soft spot for dramas that talk about disabilities in an accepting way. :jiminbtslove:

In episode 3 and 4, Eun Gyeol has yet to meet his mom, but I'm getting a good laugh out of him criticizing his dad for lying about his mom being his first love, etc. Haha! I cannot wait until they are reunited! 

I really appreciate the narration from Eun Gyeol like @mademoiselle said -- the realization that his dad was not born deaf and is someone who's free spirited (almost the opposite of the dad he's known). I find myself getting a bit sentimental when Eun Gyeol make these narration about his parents and even the one about his great-grandma. I wonder what kind of accident was it that caused his parents to live the quiet life they've been living. 

How do you guys feel about Eun Gyeol potentially changing the present while he's in 1995? I'm feeling a bit indifferent about it because I would love to see his family be happier/brighter in the present, but I think there's a reason for everything. Would Eun Gyeol be who he is if it wasn't for the upbringing he had? 

My favorite scene in this week's episode was the father and son jamming out at the end of episode four together knowing what kind of intense conversation they had in episode two about music. 

• Like 1

@Tofu Do you think the mum knows how to sign? What's the chances that Eun Gyeol is the one who taught her to sign? I'm still having trouble identifying if she could read lips.

Yeah, that narration when he watches great-grandma and his dad was tear-jerking.

It now made sense. Se Kyung is adopted. I was wondering how did Haraboji turned out to be that way when she seems quite well off in 1995. Now who do you guys think the crush Se Kyung had is? My bet is on Eun Gyeol. Her narration also mentioned she felt everything was going well with her, she's shining, until Eun Gyeol came along.

I am of the opinion that Eun Gyeol won't change the future. The guy sent him there and told him to enjoy his trip. So I see it as no matter what happen in the past, it shouldn't change the future or Eun Gyeol is the reason of the present. Am I making sense?

In the narration during their jamming, it appears deep down inside, Eun Gyeol wishes he could share the joy of music with his family. He must have felt bad they couldn't hear and thought it'd only upset them.

P.S. The bit of “I'm your son"... Hahahahaha! :laugh: And also, like father like son, sleeping pose is the same. So cute.

BTS

Hey, looks like Ryeoun does know how to play guitar... or maybe just bits & pieces. Haha. I'm checking the BTS to confirm now. Maybe like HosPlay, practice hard early.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1

@mademoiselle Is it just us here too? :thinking:

One of my deaf friends (while they lament that the actors are themselves neither deaf nor real CODAs) agrees that the actors are doing a very good job. Other friends are lamenting that it's on VIU which they don't subscribe to. Hahaha... 

So far, I found last week's episodes (3&4) a tad slow in the story development aspect. I know that dad wasn't studious, nor was he deaf at birth, but this pushing and pulling (sorta) with that character that's likely to be Eun Gyeol's mum... can we stop with the sullen looks and aloof mannerisms already and just get on with the story telling? I dunno if anyone else feels this way about it, but I was starting to find that a bit tiresome. 

And Choi Hyun Wook got into a bit of trouble recently? Oh dearie me...

I actually do think Eun Gyeol might change the future though... Michael J. Fox's character did change some of the future for his parents in Back To The Future, so I wouldn't be surprised if some elements might change. His parents would still have to meet and fall in love though, else there won't be him in the future. 

• Like 2

@gilaswan No, @Tofu is also watching. She's also watching Destined With You, but just not as invested as us.

I read about Choi Hyun Wook's news too. Le sigh. I can only say, “Want to be celebs, then think thrice before doing anything in public!” 

I don't like the way Yi Chan talks in the drama, and I think he will continue to talk like this for the rest of the episodes. Argh. That said, I saw a pre-release cut where Eun Gyeol is making him study and Halmoni teared up upon seeing him studying, and my nose got a little sour too!

Eun Gyeol may change some of the past, but I don't know if he could change too much. There's a huge difference between Back to the Future and this drama is that we saw how Eun Gyeol grew up. The fire incident and his upbringing shaped him into the Eun Gyeol we currently know. If he changes the lifestyle of his parents in the past, then he will change his upbringing and he may become a different Eun Gyeol i.e., if the writer keeps to the logic of time-travelling.

• Like 2

@gilaswan I am still watching this. It's the only drama I'm actively watching at the moment. Like @mademoiselle said, I'm also watching Destined With You, but I'm only on episode 13 with that one. 

After watching episode 5, I agreed that the pace is a bit slow. I'm kind of over Yi Chan's and Se Kyung's potential love story. The development of the band is also dragging on more than I'd like.

Eun Gyeol finally meets his mom, but he doesn't know that it's his mom. He sees her sitting in the rain and gives her his umbrella. It cuts to both of them approaching Yi Chan and Se Kyung and that's the end of the episode. Chung Ah has very little presence so far and I hope that change soon. Do not sell me on this lovely family and then, you don't give me scenes of how the parents fell in love, how Eun Gyeol meets his mom, etc. I did not sign up to just watch scenes of Yi Chan with Se Kyung and this maybe-maybe not band! :GengarPout:

Just kidding...haha! I enjoyed the studying scenes with halmoni watching them as well as the scene where halmoni gave Eun Gyeol was very sweet. I hope Eun Gyeol cherish these moments with her. 

9 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

If he changes the lifestyle of his parents in the past, then he will change his upbringing and he may become a different Eun Gyeol

In today's episode, it briefly touch on the potential of changing the future. Eun Gyeol remembered that his parents met in sign language class; however, it happened because Yi Chan had his accident. The accident needs to happen for his parents to meet otherwise he would not be born along with his hyung. The preview for tomorrow's episode also shows the time traveling genie (I don't know what to call him) saying something that the moment Eun Gyeol travelled back in time, he already changed the future. 

• Like 2

@Tofu I didn't mind the pace that much after watching episode 5. I enjoyed the guitar/bass battle scene. Reminds me of Jay Chou's piano battle in his film, Secret Garden. Yi Chan's vocal was wonderful too, just don't know if that's really sung by the actor himself.

For me, the slow part for me is definitely the mother's bit.

The parents' first meet isn't in the sign language class, though. They met at the bookshop, isn't it? And that wasn't because of Eun Gyeol. Then she saw him from the window at Se Kyung's house. Another encounter was when he went to Se Kyung's school and met Chung Ah in the PE store room.

The “new” Se Kyung isn't the real Se Kyung. I think her love line will be with Eun Gyeol.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Reminds me of Jay Chou's piano battle in his film, Secret Garden.

Yes! Ever since I saw this movie, every battle I see with an instrument reminds me of it. 

The parents' first meet isn't in the sign language class, though.

The dad told Eun Gyeol it was then, but the bookstore seems to be the first time. Chung Ah liked Yi Chan before the bookstore though (clarified in episode 6). 

The “new” Se Kyung isn't the real Se Kyung. I think her love line will be with Eun Gyeol.

I agreed, but people think this "new" Se Kyung was dating Eun Ho. If that's true, I definitely do not want a love line with Eun Gyeol. 

• Insightful 1

Wow, the investigative journalism from fans! Ahahaha! I'll reserve this part until it is revealed. It probably isn't what we think it is.

Episode 6 is kind of frustrating to watch. It's so...how to say, teenagers with their “first world issue”. I did feel for Eun Gyeol when he eat-cried-complained about teenage Dad is immature and difficult. :laugh: Poor him. To think, he's so much more mature than Dad in his age due to being a CODA.

I also want Eun Gyeol to find Chung Ah soon, so he can be her friend and communicate with sign. That said, I think his parents encountering is going just fine without any of them interfering..?

I'd like to understand better about Chung Ah's background. For one, her family must be rich. Secondly, did her parents divorce and the mother was forced to leave Chung Ah? It's difficult for me to accept that a rich family would accept a woman with two children (though it's not clear they may be her father's too).

@gilaswan Are you still watching this?

• Like 1

I overlooked this drama multiple times until I noticed Seol In Ah in the ad.  
Thrilled to have a deaf family and CODA.  I find myself analyzing the Korean Sign Language. I honestly am tempted to look up the signs because some signs I can recognize in ASL are the total opposite meaning in KSL.  I’m refraining because I prefer to enjoy the story first then analyze later. 

The back to the future thing is interesting and a bit complex.  If the past is changed. Then the ML wouldn’t exist!

that is my two cents for now. 

• Like 2