Twinkling Watermelon 반짝이는 워터멜론 [2023]

mademoiselle

On 11/1/2023 at 7:07 PM, mademoiselle said:

What do you guys think of this week's episode?

I just finished watching it today and am trying to decide on this Sekyung/Eunyoo line… hmm… Its already ep 12. Why can’t they already find out they’re both from the future? Eungyeol is smart but he’s still not adding up all the clues he’s picked up on already. I’m getting impatient. 

This push-pull with mum and dad is also starting to get tiresome. Mum’s just this really angsty deaf teen which, while I get it, for the sake of moving the plot along, couldn’t we just get going already? That said, I do think Yichan actually does like Chungah. He likes the idea of Sekyung but he feels more for Chungah. He just doesn’t know it yet. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@gilaswan I know! I thought the Squid Game comment was a dead giveaway but he just shrugged it off. 

I feel like since it took eight episodes for EG to meet his Omma, everything with this drama will take longer for us to get to. I thought it was interesting that EG was so gung-ho about teaching CA sign language and then we kind of just stopped seeing their interactions. Next thing we know, CA's sign language ability improved. I enjoy their scenes together so I wanted to see more of the progression with this. :cry:

1 hour ago, gilaswan said:

He likes the idea of Sekyung but he feels more for Chungah. He just doesn’t know it yet. 

Agreed. Sometimes you want things you can't have, right? 

• Like 3

@gilaswan Yes, it was a long road to switching into that direction.  Sometimes just need people like EG to interfere.

Whatever EG changes in past will have an effect on the future. The movie Back to the Future I think the same issued occurred?  

On 11/3/2023 at 2:02 AM, mademoiselle said:

didn't watch Squid Game? They may not subscribe to Netflix, LOL!

LOL yes totally… that was such an clear clue he brushed off.

Edited by Mizv
  • Like 2

@Tofu I totally did not catch the Squid Game reference because I wasn't paying attention. I just know she said something he noticed was weird, but didn't bother to rewind to check what she said.

By the way, I am so glad they both find out they are from the future! There were so many clues in this episode, and yet he didn't catch on. But I do think it's because he didn't entertain the idea that it was possible, even though he experienced the impossible.

Too many “so glad” in this episode to be honest. So glad Yi Chan and Chung Ah's love line progressed. So glad Halmoni seem nice and is not picky about Chung Ah being deaf. After all, she was very happy when Eun Gyeol wasn't born deaf.

Episode 14 pre-release

• Like 1

I stayed up to watch last night’s episode despite being so tired (I shouldn’t have. Paid for it this morning being a sleepyhead at work). I’m so very glad that there is finally movement in the story! The pacing hasn’t been the best.

Finally, Yichan realises he likes Changan, and Chungah isn’t being an annoying self-distancing and angsty character! It was getting very tiring and tiresome. I do like how he is organically picking up sign language through self-study and communicating with her, and I do like it very much that the rest of the boys are also learning how to sign with her!

And yes! Finally too Eungyeol and Eunyoo know they’re both from the future! The Squid Game reference was when he changed into the green track suit just before they were to go to the movies together and she remarked that he looked like a character from Squid Game and he thought to himself, “What? Was that a type of saying in 1995?” So yeah, he brushed it off as a possibly a reference to something he didn’t know. Likewise when he responded in shock to being referred to as a CODA and she thought to herself “Was the term not yet coined in 1995??” But good that mystery’s out!

• Like 2

I've been wondering the reason(s) behind Eun Gyeol and Eun Yu being sent back to 1995. Looking back, Eun Gyeol was at a crossroad. He wants to pursue music, but he can't leave his family behind. He's mad at Dad, but he's also sad and lonely etc, etc. Then he gets sent to 1995 and here he learns about his parents' backstories, their feelings, and thoughts. I think this is all part of his growth development, not Yi Chan or Chung Ah. Granted, I do think Eun Gyeol did change his parents' future. In the initial timeline, Yi Chan likely never managed to perform in the band because of the fight before the festival. The hearing loss happened, and he met Chung Ah at the sign language school, which most likely is after she left home. With Eun Gyeol's interference, future Yi Chan would likely be a lot more supportive of Eun Gyeol and his music dream since he himself experience his own hot-blooded youth and how much fun it was performing on stage. And maybe Eun Gyeol was never meant to change the future of Yi Chan being deaf. The outcome of his parents' future would still be the same, but at least they have happier memories and experiences than the original timeline. Yi Chan and Chung Ah get their own different growth development in this new timeline too.

It's Eun Yu's growth that I'm not sure of, and what is she supposed to take home after this trip. She sure wasn't changing any of her mum's future. Her journey seems more cater to help her “have some fun” that she wasn't able to, and maybe help her understand her mum a little more, but it doesn't erase the fact that mum was suffocating her. I'm not sure learning about her grandfather and grandmother would help solve her mum's issue as well.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
On 11/8/2023 at 5:28 AM, mademoiselle said:

not sure learning about her grandfather and grandmother would help solve her mum's issue as well.

It probably will help her relationship with her Mum. It seems the bio grandpa didn’t have a relationship with her mum.  So maybe she will change that fate and it will influence the future outcome.

YC singing directly to EG mom was cute.

Find it so romantic he tried so hard to learn the words to sign.

The scene younger EG mom locked away in the dark by the evil stepmother for using sign was heartbreaking. Those kind of stories are true and somewhat worse. Loved it when EG said he will make sure she will get a taste of justice.  makes me wonder whatever happened to EG father before he was born. 

Glad the EG-EY FINALLY know the truth about each other.  now let’s get on with the story!   The pace needs to pick up.  I’m more curious now how things will be back in future day.

• Like 2

Raise your hand if you have shed a few tears at the scene where both son and grandson fight to sleep with Halmoni. Haha.

A little late, but boy, I was glad the cat is out of the bag about the step-mother's abuse! Could she be the one who was trying to run over Eun Gyeol? If not her, could it be her son?

Regardless of what the outcome is, Eun Gyeol has changed his parents' future for the better. He helped mend his mother's and grandfather's relationship. He changed Yi Chan's future for the better.

When Music Shop Haraboji asked Eun Gyeol to finish composing the song, I already thought there might be something special about that unfinished song. When the kids got together composing the song, Shining, I did entertain the idea that the unfinished song was by Yi Chan. I like that Eun Gyeol was able to finish the song with Yi Chan. It's extra special and meaningful. I did like Yi Chan's message to Eun Gyeol about he is like a father to Yi Chan. Reminded me of Superman Returns' quote “The son becomes the father and the father becomes the son”.

That said, writer is so cruel. Eun Gyeol is already filled with guilt, and now he's going to feel even more guilty.

All in all a lovely, heart-warming drama! It did feel draggy earlier on, and I would have preferred the accident happened earlier so that Eun Gyeol didn't have to part with a freshly deaf Yi Chan so soon. But I think the writer has good reason planned for this ~ making Eun Gyeol relieve himself of the burden he forces upon himself.

There are so many tear-jerking scenes. I really love the bit of the grown up Watermelon Sugar bandmate. It not only was a meaningful scene for Appa, but also Eun Gyeol, since he spent some time with these guys too.

I did wonder if Viva La Vida's owner is actually Haraboji. And it is!! How did Eun Yu figure out, though? Honestly, Eun Gyeol would unlikely meet Haraboji in the new timeline because his own future has been changed. As a grandson of Jinsung, who dares to bully him? The way they meet would have to be a completely different new side-story.

And @Tofu, agreed on the lack of Eun Yu's scene. I bet Seol In Ah's fans are probably protesting her new future being excluded in the finale.

Now, someone please tell me whether both actors sang the songs themselves. The last performance sounds like they sang live.

@Tofu This is so funny. The actress who plays Chung Ah dropped her wrapped up cake. She screamedddddd so high pitch and was so upset; she was so cute!

I found it!!!

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1

I enjoyed this drama mostly due to use of KSL. I’ve watched other dramas/movies such as Silence, Listen to my Heart, and Heirs with use the KSL.  Twinkling will forever be jogged in my memory due to the use of the middle finger convo between SK and EG older brother.  I had to blink blink my eyes at the screen. I probably will be investigating what this sign means…. On funny note if I ever go to SK I guess it’s safe to know the middle finger isn’t the same meaning ?  I definitely going to be discussing this topic with my Asian friends. 

Was tired and forcing myself to watch the ending.   I will go back and rewatch  I don’t recall seeing Eun Yoo at the ending?  I was more fascinated in the glam transformation of EG parents.  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Mizv said:

I don’t recall seeing Eun Yoo at the ending?

She was seen briefly at the end. She attended the concert and Eun Gyeol ran out to find her because he saw her leave. They have a kiss and that was all we saw of her. I was telling @mademoiselle that I wished they did a better job at wrapping up her storyline -- a scene with her mom or even better a scene to let us know if her haraboji and her mom reconcile would have been nice. 

• Like 2