Twinkling Watermelon 반짝이는 워터멜론 [2023]

mademoiselle

I'm finally back and finished the drama! There was no VIU where I was so had to wait till I got back to watch the finale episodes.

On 11/16/2023 at 4:30 AM, mademoiselle said:

@Mizv I think middle finger sign refer to brother (younger). They repeatedly signed that when they were talking about Eun Gyeol.

Just came back from Google. Apparently middle finger sign is "brother" for Korea, Japan and China.

The middle finger sign moving upwards means "Older Brother", when it moves downwards it means "Younger Brother". This is in KSL (and I think in JSL too). It is different in Chinese sign languages where the middle finger just means "Older", so if paired with the sign for girl or boy, then it means older sister or older brother. In KSL, the sign for Jeju Island also uses the middle finger - as a complete handshape, it refers to the mountains. 

@mademoiselle @Tofu I guess I'm not the only one who felt that SeKyung/EunYoo's storyline didn't wrap up as nicely as Eungyeol's. Why put it as an epilogue? I was wondering what happened to her mother (did they not get a divorce after all or did that still happen?) and whether she pursued her photography instead. I was half expecting that as a wrap up, Eungyeol would actuall be enrolled in Art School like his mother and Eunyoo were, and he would meet Eunyoo at school, but she would be majoring in visual arts like Chung Ah did, instead of music. That would've been a nicer round up, I felt. I also expected Eungyeol to be the one to fully show the capability of the new line of electric guitars after dad played the few lines.

Something that continued to irk me - dad's friends who I assume learned KSL to maintain their friendship with him, did not continue to sign when together with mum. She was still being left out of their conversations. But yes, they did paint a much more positive present day for the Deaf with ready interpreters at the workplace. However, it does suggest too that this type of provision is available only to the very rich, which Dad and Mum had become because the relationship with Mum's dad had been salvaged. 

Nice that both of them went to Gallaudet, though yeah, I reckon cos of that the college days scenes had to be edited out since Gallaudet's culture would not be so easily replicable for the screen, especially if they were having hearing actors portray deaf lives.

I actually expected that Yi Chan would still become deaf. And that was good, I felt. Story-wise, it was able to portray a positive future for the deaf, even if they are late-deafened - it can be devastating, but it is not the end, which was a great thing for Yi Chan's story. 

All in all, as everyone here has noted, the pacing could've been better at the start, but I did enjoy the show. And like everyone else - why was "Master" Eunyoo's granddad? How did she figure that out? And why did he want to send them both into the past? Seems irrelevant to the story. I'd just have well accepted (and more logically so) his initial explanation to Eungyeol - that this was at the fancy of the deities.

Edited by gilaswan
  • Clapping Hands 2

@mademoiselle Hahaha!

Ryeoun-01.gif

Choi Hyun Wook got the Ryeoun's most memorable line/scene wrong. I don't remember any lines he had with Se Kyung. I think his most memorable line was when he realized how many hardship his parents went through. I also thought Ryeoun would have chosen his Appa (Choi Won Young) as his favorite character. 

• Like 1