Like Flowers in Sand 모래에도 꽃이 핀다 [2023-2024]

F-7-L0-ONbw-AAm-YPQ.jpg

Spoiler

F-7-MGy8b-QAAv6-R9.jpg  GBG4-FPxag-AAl6-II.jpg  Ms6k-Su-Nn-Fy-HGRKK8lh-Cd-E6h0-Ar2-IY-1b0m3-YH3x6ok-Gv-Nd7-Zs-AZDMp-Ui-w-RQJS-9urv-Ae-JX4k-Wo-h-WQFUb-OERf-XZYYssw-ONJkc-NA.webp

• Drama: Like Flowers in Sand (English title) / Flowers Bloom in the Sand (literal title)
  • Revised Romanization: Moraeedo Kkochi Pinda
  • Hangul: 모래에도 꽃이 핀다
  • Director: Kim Jin-Woo
  • Writer: Won Yoo-Jung
  • Network: ENA
  • Streaming Site: Netflix
  • Episodes: 12
  • Release Date: December 20, 2023 – January 25, 2024
  • Websites: Official | NamuWiki | MDL

Plot Summary

Kim Baek-Du (Jang Dong-Yoon) participates in the traditional Korean wrestling sport of ssireum and is a member of the ssireum team for the Geosan County Office. Kim Baek-Du was born as the youngest son of a prestigious ssireum family. In his past, he was known as a genius like ssireum wrestler, but not anymore. He is thinking about retiring from the sport altogether. One day, Kim Baek-Du meets his childhood friend Oh Yu-Gyeong (Lee Joo-Myoung) and has a turning point in his ssireum life. Oh Yu-Gyeong and Kim Baek-Du grew up together in Geosan County. She begins to work as a leader of the management team for the ssireum team, which is on the verge of disbanding.

Meanwhile, they have people around them like Min Hyun-Wook (Yun Jong-Seok), who suddenly appears at Geosan County and adjusts well to life here, and Joo Mi-Ran (Kim Bo-Ra) who is a mysterious café owner. There's also the new coach Kwak Jin-Su (Lee Jae-Joon) of the ssireum team and Cho Seok-Hui (Lee Joo-Seung), who is Kim Baek-Du’s best friend and works as a police constable.

Screenshot-2023-12-28-at-17-09-29-Like-F

source: AsianWiki

Edited by mademoiselle

I quite enjoy this drama, too. Plus it is readily available on Netflix, it just seems too wasteful not to check it out. It's another small town kind of story. This time, the town is famous for its ssireum. Quite a unique choice, to be honest, to pick ssireum as backdrop. Jang Dong Yoon is chubby-cute as Baek Du. Tee-hee. :pandablush: He's so in love and obsessed over his childhood friend Du Shik I find it cute. There's some backstory centre around Du Shik we not yet know of.

There is also a mystery crime involved where Yu Kyung, as I've guessed, is an undercover detective. Haha, and boy I am glad she's not married since she is the person Baek Du sorely misses. I'm interested to see how the story and their romance unfold.

• 2 weeks later...

Wish more people are watching this. I really like episode 7 because Baek Du is finally progressing in his ssireum career. Though, I know he's going to lose in the next episode because Du Shik left the venue, and the whole time he was playing hard was because he thought she was there cheering him on.

Felt like he stops progressing in his ssireum career because he lost Du Shik. He never went for the title either because he sees no point in winning it. Now that Du Shik is back, all that energy returned. I just hope he'd think about himself more and does it for himself from now on.

I can't believe I'm actually enjoying ssireum. Hahaha! But only for Jang Dong Yoon.