The_Guest-p001.jpg

"Just like the viewers called Yun Hwa Pyung "Yun Peace" We hope that all the viewers find peace of mind in their hearts & souls. Again, thank you for watching."

-Director Kim Hong Soon

That was the note and ideation that the director of "Sohn:The Guest" wanted the audience to know. In today's review, we are going to dive in to the story of this fabulous piece. This series hits me hard, mainly because I have never wanted to watch this series. It was after a week of the airing, I have decided watched it, and I fell in love with it. 

Let's talk about that.

Plot

The story at first glance, it seems dark and scary. (It's definitely understandable that people would find this piece scary, but believe me. It's more than that.) On the outside, it is deem to be scary, but on the inside when you look at it, there are more than you imagined. A deeper glance to life's lessons and social situations that may relate one's life. One of the story that I would like to dive into, to give you an idea of what I have said...

"What so hard about letting someone feel like they are welcomed and not shun them out like social outcasts?"

Untitled-1.jpg

Today we see the one that we love, we could see the pain that the person is going through at work, but they can't do anything about it. The only thing that that person could do, ruined both his and her life altogether. It's the power of rising after the fall that this episode had taught us dearly. Her man was bullied for his constant sweating, being dragged to the staircase by his colleagues as they reprimanded him to no end. He...He just couldn't take it. He sent a text to his wife who was having his child at the time of his death. His wife came back home only to see the sight of him, in the bathroom with blood-stained water coming out of it. 

She has contemplated of jumping over the edge from the building, that is when They came in. That they feeds on the negative emotions that one had. It's the anger, the darkness that desires. The morale of this chapter, tells us that we got to always stand up bright and strong and not give up. Love the people that we love, cherish them, be strong for yourself and them. Don't blame on others/you/ or anyone. Learn to forgive. (In which I too, am trying to learn and I hope you too as well)

Overall, this series taught us the many strong principles in life. I can quote a few episodes, like the Child episode or the man who was paralyse down. There are many more, and it's up to you to uncover it.

Though I recommend it, the only part that I felt that it could be better, it's the last episode...Had they made the final boss scenes a little longer with more actions like hunting down a victim of his anger, it would had been so much better. But, hey...I got what I wanted, I shouldn't complain about it.

Plot - 9.5/10

Casting/Acting

Now, I applaud the acting of all of the third main characters, I would say that I give them a 100% in acting, especially for the last episode of the series. Main takeaway from these three is that, you will notice that their acting gets more and more emotional after each episode. The three characters have their own arcs of emotions and they are very different as well. Yun Hwa Pyung (Kim Dong Wook) his arc starts out from being this forceful kid to a manly man who is willing to take what the evil wants upon himself to save other. Choi Yoon (Kim Jae Wook), he starts off cold but as the time goes by he starts to open up to the rest while getting cursed every episode to the point that he was vomiting blood and turning frail. Kang Kil Young(Jung En Chae), she honestly starts off as someone whom I really don't like, because she starts off as a very strong cop who blocks our main leads from achieve theirs goals. As the time goes by, we can see that she starts to soften up and become someone who actually cares for the leads. The cast members really acted well in this and I can see no one who can replace them. In no way did I felt out of touch from the characters, they really stand out and make everything very chilling when tricky situations are portrayed to them.

Acting - 9/10

Production Value

Let's be honest here, the production values in this is marvellous to the point where it really helps to boast the aesthetics of the story. The constant usage of blue and orange lighting (Occasionally green as well) really hits the spot for me. As it is not that bright, your eyes feels very comfortable, if you were to watch it at night. (Trust me, it's worth it!)

Production Values - 8.5/10

Re-watch Value

Can you believe it? After I was done with this series, I have not re-watched it? Even though I would love to re-watch this...But I can only re-watch this if I were to wash my brain off about who is the spirit possessing. Even though it's good, but sadly, if you know who that person is, it no longer bare the hype as to when you first saw it. I have to say, if you are okay with it, you can still watch it again, for all the characters!

Re-watch Value - 8.5/10

IMG-5214.gif

If you ever choose to watch this, Hwa Pyung and Park Il Do will come by smiling saying thank you for watching!

• Like 2
  • Star Struck 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

💉🌼🔪🌼💉

“A romantic who likes flowers.”

ezgif-com-crop-5.gif