Something Just Like This 青春创世纪 [2020]

NiteWalker

oh good good @Tothestars...I don't want to be watching alone. Give me some key spoilers...I am slowly catching up . I watched eps 10 late last night. I like XX torturing him and putting him in his place. 

BTS

• Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

4 hours ago, NiteWalker said:

they will be together around 23-24 :cool:

Ooo thanks! Funnily , I am not so in a hurry for the romance to start. 

eps 10 to 13

I found myself actually fascinated the with this "battle" that both DR and XX are fighting to ensure Rui Lives survival. Chen Lang is quite the shameless competitor , one without much principles. While he may have the upper hand now , his short sighted tactics will backfire sooner or later. And honestly I was happy that they are not gonna end up working with Pineapple Express. That Director Wu isn't really a a man of his word, is he ?

Honestly the challenges they face with every small victory they gain are very realistic , and does tell you how hard it is to build your own business /start-up. If anything both DR and XX have a common strength - resilience.  I am quite impressed with both their never give up attitude. For me they actually complement each other even where work is concern. XX is good with operations and management , but the big picture thinker really is DR. If the company needs to grow in the long-term a combination of their talents would be needed. At the end of episode 13 , the way DR had to beg & persuade  his friend to consider the contract was not easy to watch. DR's growth arc for sure as he had to put away his pride to bring in the business.

So I am assuming that they will sign the deal with Perfect Blue and Zhiang Zhe Yang will come aboard. Then we can see the love competition start . Oh yeah. It is predictable of course that he will be the much needed push for DR to realise his feelings for XX.

Also a note about XX moving out. I think the drama is setting the stage for her to come to her own. While I like how independent & high-spirited XX is, and how much DR's family loves her, deep down I always felt that she feels out of place . Going back to her own apartment & perhaps sorting out her issues with her father will help her sort out her emotional baggage that she tends to push aside. 

• Like 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

12 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

Also a note about XX moving out. I think the drama is setting the stage for her to come to her own. While I like how independent & high-spirited XX is, and how much DR's family loves her, deep down I always felt that she feels out of place . Going back to her own apartment & perhaps sorting out her issues with her father will help her sort out her emotional baggage that she tends to push aside. 

yes very much so.....

by moving out she has her own personal spaces.....and while DR's family love and treated her as their own....the feeling is totally different in stages i think.....

• Like 1

eps 14 to 18

It bothered me quite a bit to how DR treats XX. I don't doubt his love for XX even if at this point they both think it is merely affections between siblings. He is sensitive to her feelings where personal issues are concern but at work DR tends to undermine XX's authority & does as he wishes even if his intentions are to push for growth within the company. I wasn't particularly pleased that he gave false hope to the other broadcasters about competing for a slot to host the live event with Zhiang Zhe Yang when it was already pre-determined.  I can understand how exasperated XX was , and I am glad that she put her foot down. I do see  DR's perspective of trying to leverage on YanYan's skills & experience to get the intended outcomes but he clearly lacks respect for the rest of the staff and for XX's leadership. He's without doubt an excellent salesman ( though you wonder about the sincerity in his sweet talk :heiboi:) and will bulldoze his way to get things done , but this isn't how you build staff loyalty nor morale, nor a healthy work environment. 

I don't think I am the only one who feels this way- XX's dad was right about XX not being properly treated by DR. He can see that DR does bully XX at times to get his own way , and XX allows it . I think XX feels an immense sense of gratitude mix with inferiority complex )due to her poorer background), that she does not dare demand for shares in Rui. Dad made a good point that all CEOs and founders of start-ups would normally be given some equity. But yet she has not received any in spite of DR's parents treating her like a daughter.  Of course I also rolled my eyes that  dad would pass judgement on this given that he abandoned XX when she was young,  and had his friends raise his daughter. I am shocked by how quickly XX forgave her father TBH. Given the  years of heartache that she had to endure , she is almost a saint to have reconciled with him as quickly as she did.

The equity issue is of prime importance  as there is clear imbalance in the dynamics to DR & XX's  relationship that translates to their workspace. While on paper XX is the CEO , and DR the trainee & now newly appointed Manager, it is clear that DR stilled calls the shots. I doubt anyone sincerely believes DR is a trainee. At the back of everyone's mind including XX's , he is the biggest stakeholder in this business given that his money went into the business and his father's company are the biggest shareholders. 

I think what complicates matters as well is that both XX and DR are fighting off these feelings they have for each other. Eps 18 starts showing us hints of jealousy in both XX and DR as they interact with the perceived love competition. DR's ex has some lingering feelings for him . I was surprised it was a noona romance & that she called it off due to family objection. Of course Zhang Zhe Yang has his heart set on XX , and will definitely get some support from XX's dad .

• Like 1

I wanted to further say that XX’s dad issues were settled too quickly & too conveniently . She should have let him slap himself senseless in eps 17 or something. I was angry he just decided to waltz in to her life after years of not contacting & supporting her, and start to play dad . I think this is both XX’s strength & weakness - she’s quick to forgive & is tender hearted, but it also does mean that she can be taken advantage of.

Though I don’t like the way DR is pushing his way with decisions at work , they were probably some of the better more strategic calls . Also I do appreciate that when it comes to   XX’s personal issues he’s completely sensitive to her feelings about it . He clearly knows her especially  what bothers her & what she needed . The jealousy scenes between the two are actually quite cute & I look forward to when they will cross the line :pandablush:

My favorite supporting character is XX’s bestie Jia Yun. She’s such a cool cucumber & I like how comfortable she is in her own skin. There’s this sass to her attitude & she downplays her own strengths a lot . I think DR sees her potential offering her to be the Head Broadcaster , and I agree with his choice. I hope she gets her arc developed too & achieves her goals of doing her MBA later . Too bad there’s no love line in store for her , and no , not Chen Lang please. 

• Like 2

Am up to eps 22 , 1st I’m happy that the whole XX & her father arc is over . It annoyed me no end how he wanted to play father after years of not being one . The only thing  I agree with is  his assessment of XX - DR relationship dynamics at work. XX does feel like just a CEO on paper . DR really does call the shots , and the reality is he’s ultimately Rui’s owner & even in XX’s own mind , she thinks of DR as the leader . This was something she says herself in eps 21. 

But the problem it’s not so much DR undermining XX anymore , but more about XX’s CEO-ship , or the lack of it; the last  few episodes shows that she’s not been very proactive. While DR is doing his job bringing in the big deals & looking at ways to create engagement for viewers using all the connections & ideas he can think of , XX as CE0 should be looking at developing the other talents & signing more deals. Instead of blaming DR every time something goes south, as CEO she should show some leadership, remain calm & look for solutions. And what pissed me off big time is that she made an emotional decision rather than a business one with Yuan Yuan’s termination fee . That was seriously ridiculous given all the investment they had put in YY. DR is trying so hard to protect her CEO position for her , and warning her not to do this but she’s being stubborn & being swayed by her feelings. Uncle Shen is right , DR should take over as CE0. 

XX is very kind & I know she’s generous in many ways , and as a person I would love someone like that in my camp . I can also see why DR would love her so . But as a leader of a business especially in one as dynamic & competitive as this , I am very disappointed that she didn’t rise up to the position given to her . I suppose this will be her development arc in the story 

• Like 2

Finally after days both DR n XX using JJY n OY to create jealousy atmosphere around them, we get one hot kiss because of dorayaki lol.

Honestly i am getting tired of this Chen Lang always harming Ru Yi, why on earth their obstacles only from him??? Really?? i wonder chen lang's boss why he hates DR. 

On 11/21/2020 at 7:55 AM, abs-oluteM said:

My favorite supporting character is XX’s bestie Jia Yun. She’s such a cool cucumber & I like how comfortable she is in her own skin. There’s this sass to her attitude & she downplays her own strengths a lot . I think DR sees her potential offering her to be the Head Broadcaster , and I agree with his choice. I hope she gets her arc developed too & achieves her goals of doing her MBA later . Too bad there’s no love line in store for her , and no , not Chen Lang please. 

Agree with you, Jia Yun is so comfortable and cool facing all problems, i really happy finally she get the CEO, since DR promised her to give all business knowledge, and we never saw her learning something before instead of broadcasting.

Edited by Tothestars
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
22 hours ago, Tothestars said:

Finally after days both DR n XX using JJY n OY to create jealousy atmosphere around them, we get one hot kiss because of dorayaki lol.

The jealousy bits are cute...I like how they keep asking the other if they were jealous :lol:

I have no time to watch further ...hope I can see 23 & 24 where they finally get together I believe.

As much as I am frustrated with the work stuff...it also does mean that the drama is realistic in showing the hardships of this industry, building your own business and that these are all imperfect characters going through growth. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

But the problem it’s not so much DR undermining XX anymore , but more about XX’s CEO-ship , or the lack of it; the last  few episodes shows that she’s not been very proactive. While DR is doing his job bringing in the big deals & looking at ways to create engagement for viewers using all the connections & ideas he can think of , XX as CE0 should be looking at developing the other talents & signing more deals. Instead of blaming DR every time something goes south, as CEO she should show some leadership, remain calm & look for solutions. And what pissed me off big time is that she made an emotional decision rather than a business one with Yuan Yuan’s termination fee . That was seriously ridiculous given all the investment they had put in YY. DR is trying so hard to protect her CEO position for her , and warning her not to do this but she’s being stubborn & being swayed by her feelings. Uncle Shen is right , DR should take over as CE0. 

for a moment it does make me question DR as a good boss.....or a leading businessman...

however i guess he isnt one at this moment thats why he need to learn, stood, fall and stand up again

• Like 2

@NiteWalker up to the latest episodes , I would say that DuanRan is a much better leader where overall vision & direction of the business is concerned. At this moment, he isn't the CEO, so workers welfare is not his priority. It really is XX's . While DR is busy bringing business & contacts from outside, XX should have looked into helping the other broadcasters to grow. She was too caught up with her father's issue and also not really calm enough to handle problems as they came along. I think this is something she needs to work on.

• Like 2

OMG @Tothestars ...dying squealing - eps 23 was like a surprise...thought they'd drag up the jealousy bit. But this couple is so natural. 

Johnny never fails me with his kiss scenes. He is always so good in them 

@NiteWalker how is the drama doing in China?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/23/2020 at 7:44 PM, abs-oluteM said:

OMG @Tothestars ...dying squealing - eps 23 was like a surprise...thought they'd drag up the jealousy bit. But this couple is so natural. 

Ikr! I also surprised watching ep 23, it was like suddenly they push the red button, and they go to the moon lol

And i think God hear my complaint about Chen Lang, finally they started to work together in ep 29 lol.

Edited by Tothestars
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Tothestars said:

Ikr! I also surprised watching ep 23, it was like suddenly they push the red button, and they go to the moon lol

I love their chemistry. Actually DR and XX are very compatible despite their childish bickering. Their arguments are actually because of how much they are looking for approval from the other person.

I am up to eps 26 or was it 27  where XR asked JY to take up the CEO position 1st. Actually I think it was also a good idea for XX to resign for now. and have JY take her place temporarily . XX does not have enough self confidence to do it and I think DR is really the best person for the job.  But anyhow work aside , I am wondering why DR's parents will be against them getting together especially the mum? Don't they love XX? Do they think she is not good enough?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

But anyhow work aside , I am wondering why DR's parents will be against them getting together especially the mum? Don't they love XX? Do they think she is not good enough?

This, i am not sure too, hopefully they always see XX as DR's perfect match, not just a lil sister for DR or a smart girl for their company (this one is too evil for them though, i am sure DR's parents are good people). But maybr the story need another arc to reach ep 47 lol.

• Haha 1
On 11/23/2020 at 8:44 PM, abs-oluteM said:

Johnny never fails me with his kiss scenes. He is always so good in them 

@NiteWalker how is the drama doing in China?

they are doing pretty good so far....they are at No. 6 for yesterday Nov/27 rating

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Mouse said:

@NiteWalker@abs-oluteM how is this one? Any good? Should I watch?

I watch only till eps 27 . And haven’t had time to continue. The leads do have cute chemistry but  a lot of focus on the biz side of things . Personally it’s too long for 47 episodes.  It’s pretty much slice of work/ business life 

Nevertheless the drama did well