Bloody Heart 붉은 단심 [2022]

Tofu

On 5/5/2022 at 9:39 PM, abs-oluteM said:

A bit of spoiler from end of eps 2

Hide contents

She asked him to take her as his wife but he tells her he's got someone that he has to marry.

Earlier, I gave a laughing reaction to this. Out of context, it is funny right?

But after watching both episodes, it's sad instead. I have a feeling there won't be a good ending for these two. She is wanting to take revenge and since he has not told her he is the King, this will surely be a point of contention later. But more importantly, I agree with @abs-oluteM that the King may turn bad later. "Lee Tae believes any action is justifiable to achieve his goal. He wants to rule as an absolute monarch..."

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Lee Joon, Kang Han Na, And Jang Hyuk Push And Pull Within A Complex Relationship In “Bloody Heart”

May 9, 2022 by M. Kang

The latest stills from “Bloody Heart” are enough to keep viewers on the edges of their seats!

“Bloody Heart” is a fictional historical drama about the bloody political romance between Lee Tae (Lee Joon), a king who has to abandon the woman he loves to survive, and Yoo Jung (Kang Han Na), a woman who has to become the queen to survive.

Spoilers

Previously, Lee Tae went beyond the palace walls to save Yoo Jung, knowing full well that this will put him in danger. After being saved, Yoo Jung asked Lee Tae to marry her, but he rejected her, saying, “I have a woman I must wed.” In the meantime, Park Gye Won (Jang Hyuk) found out that Lee Tae has been stealthily keeping a relationship with a woman. He was enraged at the fact that there is something about Lee Tae he was unaware about.

In the released stills, the tense dynamic involving the three becomes even more apparent. Lee Tae shows a cold-hearted look while viewing a document holding information on a potential bride. On the other hand, Yoo Jung is seated with her head down, gaze filled with the fury and hatred she is holding back. Park Gye Won is shown deeply lost in thought, oozing with a heavy note of charisma.

Regarding this scene, the production team commented, “In today’s episode, Lee Tae, Yoo Jung, and Park Gye Won will really become entangled. Please pay attention to what kind of decision Park Gye Won will come to after identifying Lee Tae’s weakness. The same goes for Lee Tae’s plans to ruin those who aim to switch out the throne. A very interesting narrative will play out in ‘Bloody Heart,’ so please watch every episode and don’t miss out.”

lee-joon-kang-han-na-jang-hyuk2.jpg

Spoiler

Additional photos capture the complicated situation Lee Tae and Yoo Jung have been placed in. Lee Tae has a resolute look tainted by grief, telling of his thoughts on having to put distance between himself and the woman he loves. Even after denying Yoo Jung’s request to get married, he embraces her and whispers something in her ear, unable to let go of his concern for her.

280130242_677929239938660_69329444286663280228373_727856248349276_48630979783904

As for Yoo Jung, she manages to look Lee Tae right in the eyes. She becomes emotional at Lee Tae’s unexpected response and off-putting attitude. She will raise her voice at her lover, leaving viewers to wonder what must have caused such an interaction to occur in the middle of the street. The complex situation has both parties locked up in a confusing mix of emotions, evident in their mixed facial expressions.

280213474_1205650240205190_8796859454824280106027_193513379670793_19233415379320280270689_421533182642533_14437088750316

The production team commented, “In the third episode, Lee Tae will have an unexpected encounter with Yoo Jung. Please be on the lookout for how these two will react and what will ensue thereafter. The viewing experience will be even more fun when paying attention to how their emotional narrative evolves over time.”

Source

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
On 5/7/2022 at 7:04 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

Whatever I've seen so far has me intrigued. The stellar line up and @abs-oluteM's promotion of it got me watching it earlier than usual especially when I already have so many dramas on my plate. She's a bad influence is all I can say. :P In all seriousness, I've been a fan of Jang Hyuk and Kang Ha-na for a while but I will say that Lee Joon is also no slouch. Clearly the casting for this drama is all about getting the most bang for your buck. And I'm in hearty agreement with the praise that the cinematography has been getting. It's gorgeous.

I knew I just had to mention Jang Hyuk. :laugh:. But yes so nice to see him again. He always picks interesting scripts and roles -  I agree that he didn't sign on just  to play a 2-D sort of  villain. 

8 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Earlier, I gave a laughing reaction to this. Out of context, it is funny right?

But after watching both episodes, it's sad instead. I have a feeling there won't be a good ending for these two. She is wanting to take revenge and since he has not told her he is the King, this will surely be a point of contention later. But more importantly, I agree with @abs-oluteM that the King may turn bad later. "Lee Tae believes any action is justifiable to achieve his goal. He wants to rule as an absolute monarch..."

Yay Choco! I am glad you're watching this. 

Indirectly, his decision to make her the Crown Princess then also lead to the death her parents. It's gonna be so complicated when all things are revealed. Sad ending is to be anticipated. 

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

I like the ending of the third episode. It was an exciting development because the stakes will be a lot higher now that PGW has found Lee Tae's weakness. Lee Tae has been scheming and planning for a long time now to weaken PGW's hold  but it isn't easy since PGW has the Queen Dowagers' support. These two have affections for each other two, or at least it was hinted at during the bridge scene when PGW told her about Lee Tae's affections for a lady.

It has become clearer why Lee Tae chose Minister Cho. While Cho was initially seen as part of PGW's camp, but he's the only official who's been able to garner support of his own from the other officials. So Cho is the best candidate to help him - that's why quite a bit of screen time was devoted to LT trying to convince Cho to let his daughter become Queen. Cho was reluctant but I don't think he was left with a choice especially when PGW seems to be meddling with Cho's authority. 

---------------------------------------------

A major spoiler for eps 4

She finally knows who he is. She & the other girl are now concubines. In 3 years after the mourning period, one will become Queen. PGW told her to make sure the hapang happens.

FSZ-0gHagAAUxm3?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

On 5/10/2022 at 11:47 PM, abs-oluteM said:

She finally knows who he is. She & the other girl are now concubines. In 3 years after the mourning period, one will become Queen. PGW told her to make sure the hapang happens.

I liked the build up to this scene. The shock at the end when they both come face to face was what PGW has been waiting for. The irony is that he was in his actual identity and she waspretending to be the niece of PGW - a reverse to how it usually is when he saw her on the 15th of every month.  Throughout the past couple of episodes, I enjoyed watching how PGW and LT attempt to outsmart each other. Of course PGW is a great schemer but you can see that LT is good at this too. The only reason why LT "lost this battle" is because his weakness in the form of YJ  has been discovered by PGW. Actually it was very smart of LT to get both girls to be concubines first. 

But PGW has his "weaknesses"  too...I believe LT can play the same game. There's something about PGW and the Queen Dowager , as in I think the latter must have liked PGW before she became the Queen. And PGW's son is wild card here - he's suppose to be upright and just. Who will he support at the end? 

• Like 1

I can't wait to see the development to this. PGW has been waiting for this moment - his checkmate to LeeTae's plans. LT may be torn & might find it difficult to stick to his plan of making the other girl the queen.

FS3ML8PagAIyWUy?format=png&name=small

• Like 1

Am I the only one still watching? :laugh:

I  love this show. The romance is angsty and does squeeze the heart - mine anyway. But the highlight of the show continues to be cat & mouse game between Lee Tae and PGW. It is not only Lee Tae who has a weakness . So does PGW. PGW sacrificed his love for the Queen Dowager to secure his power. The QD is very much in love with him (PGW) and she went on to be the concubine at his request and became queen after LT's biological mum died. So LT knows this all too well and is also using this to his advantage . Someone pointed out to me that QD's weakness is not so much PGW but his son. So I wonder if this is her son. 

LT told YJ he had to "abandon" her. Because if she became Queen, it would play into PGW's hands. Plus I feel the only way LT can protect YJ and allow her to live a normal life was to get her to leave. YJ was not keen at first since PGW was holding all her workers ransom. But realising the how hard it has been for LT to "survive" here in the palace she agreed to it. So he made arrangements for her to go, but somehow at the end she didn't. And she seems determined to be Queen. So I wonder what it is that she has in mind? Can this be turned around to help LT at the end of the day?

New stills

FTbkBUWacAEhpr8?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 1

I'm up to date. But have differing opinion.

The drama's alright but not gripping. I feel the pace is too slow. A whole episode is spent on just one plot development.

The cast is also not doing much for me.

- Lee Joon is teary eyed in ALL the episodes - I mean, he's a King and plotting to recover power and all he does is cry? He's the weakest monarch I have ever seen when he is supposed to be a hero.

- Kang Hanna's character is much stronger - at least she shows her smarts and has a plan which works.

- But these 2, they keep saying they love each other but they don't discuss their plans - why? Let's hope they work together from here instead of still trying to second guess each other. I want to ffw all their romantic scenes 😂

- Jang Hyuk - all I can say is, thank God he rejected Secret Garden!

The only character I have any feelings for is the Minister of War. He was just minding his own business when Lee Tae courted his daughter in order to make use of his power. And now he's stuck in between because Lee Tae doesn't even want to consummate the marriage and he's made an enemy of Councillor Park. I like Heo Sung Tae - so far, I've seen him in Beyond Evil, Squid Game and this. He makes each character more interesting - I look forward to seeing him on screen even though it is supporting roles.

• Like 1

I do like where we're going with the story. I was wondering if Kang Hanna's character would be a rather passive one - caught between the ambitions of the two men. But recent episodes have shown that she is more than capable of holding her own especially against PGW.  Her father was right about her. Had she been born a man , she would have been some important official or minister given how quickly she is able to adapt and make smart decisions. 

When YJ revealed her true identity to PGW, it was clear that PGW was pushed to the corner. Then of course YJ in wanting to avenge her family decides to take PGW down with her. But PGW reveals  the truth  about LT's mother's suicide  and how her family was used as the scapegoat then. At this point, PGW was hoping to cloud YJ's judgement and create a riff between her and Lee Tae. So it was  especially surprising that her decision was not to avenge anyone for her family's death knowing that revenge will only lead to more blood shed. And instead she decided that she would ascend to be Queen and ensure that LT becomes a good King.  At this point PGW had an aha moment - YJ has the qualities of the ruler that he has been looking for.  Ultimately PGW in his own twisted sort of belief about doing whatever he does for the good of Joseon,  wants a ruler that will not become a tyrant and one that had the people's welfare at heart.  So he decides that he will throw his support behind YJ  as he knows the power of a Queen who is well-loved by the King.

At this point it does seem like JY, LT and PGW are in the same corner of the ring but as we know in politics, alliances can change easily.  Though Cho's daughter is miffed that she is not the chosen one despite being the "forerunner" earlier on, Cho knows that nothing is certain till YJ is officially crowned. Playing the long  and patient game is what they would need to do. Unfortunately, Cho's naïve and spoilt daughter does not heed her father's advice and goes on to try and trap YJ with the help of the Queen Dowager , not knowing that she is being used by the latter. 

Talking about the QD , I feel quite sad for her. Hers is such a lonely life and she has now been abandoned by the man she loves. Though I would say that PGW does have affections for her, it is clear that he's exploited her affections for him over the years in order for him to achieve his goals. That's why I like the ending of episode 10. She's finally realised that her loyalty and love for him meant nothing , and burning that carrier was her telling PGW that she doesn't care anymore. 

I know it seems that Lee Tae is such a cry baby weak king. LOL! But he's only really moved in YJ's presence and he is quite sharp where palace politics are concerned.  He still intends to get rid of PGW. Actually at this moment , having YJ by his side has played into his favour.  And given his love for YJ, there's a lot of good for the nation that YJ can convince him to do.  However, YJ will have to be honest with him. He knows that the attempted assassination  on her is a lot more complex than it seems. YJ not telling the truth to protect the maid is only going to get him mad. And in the preview he has no qualms using the maid to find out what happened. He is capable of cruelty if it gets him what he wants - no difference from PGW if you ask me. In fact , I was wondering if that whole farming in the palace thing was truly him wanting to understand & be acquainted with the troubles of his people. Or he was just trying to move YJ so that she stays with him? 

• Clapping Hands 1

The last 2 episodes were interesting. At least it makes me look forward to tonight's episode.

On 6/2/2022 at 10:24 PM, abs-oluteM said:

Talking about the QD , I feel quite sad for her. Hers is such a lonely life and she has now been abandoned by the man she loves. Though I would say that PGW does have affections for her, it is clear that he's exploited her affections for him over the years in order for him to achieve his goals. That's why I like the ending of episode 10. She's finally realised that her loyalty and love for him meant nothing , and burning that carrier was her telling PGW that she doesn't care anymore. 

PGW is turning out to be the good guy. I'm not too sure if he exploited her as it seems that he does treasure her - agreeing to leave the palace to live in the countryside is no small feat for such a powerful man and he did that to save her. It is just that to him, the country comes first. For the QD, as a woman, I would say, the minute the man sacrifices you to another man, she should have stopped hoping.

I was quite intrigued by the scene between PGW's wife and the QD. The wife said YJ would be loved by the king, have children and essentially lead a happy life - was this a dig at the QD? She said it so ferociously that it seems she had also been suffering for a long time knowing her husband's heart was elsewhere.

I know it seems that Lee Tae is such a cry baby weak king. LOL! But he's only really moved in YJ's presence and he is quite sharp where palace politics are concerned...

When PGW decided to help YJ be Queen, I thought if PGW is no longer the bad guy, then who is? There were 6 episodes left. And seeing how the King still did not trust PGW and has his target on him, I was worried LT could turn bad.

But LT is now in a coma 😂. Notwithstanding that his character may not be unintelligent, just constrained by powers, and he did have foresight to marry the daughter of the War Minister (Cho), his role in this drama is written weakly. All the plotting is reserved for YJ and PGW. Now it seems YJ is going to rule the kingdom while pretending the King was awaken. Hopefully LT can still contribute something to the drama and doesn't wake up just in time for the ending lol.

Park-Ji-Yeon-2.jpg

Jang-Hyuk-2.jpg

Spoiler

Park-Ji-Yeon-1.jpg

Jang-Hyuk-11.jpg

Can I just say, how can it be so easy for the QD to declare herself as Regent. The King had to put up with PGW because he had no power. The QD's backer was PGW - without him, she has no power. So this part of the drama making her so powerful suddenly seems weird.

• Insightful 1
  • Awesome 1
6 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Bwahahahaaha. How wrong I was 😂

Oooo...I was on a short vacay these few days. Now I must catch up and see what happened. 

By the way, do you think PGW's wife is aware of these affections between QD and PGW? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Oooo...I was on a short vacay these few days. Now I must catch up and see what happened. 

By the way, do you think PGW's wife is aware of these affections between QD and PGW? 

I think she is aware. The whole palace knows that PGW and QD are a team, in terms of politics. His wife seems a good person and has been quietly supporting him. He on the other hand, does not seem to be particularly affectionate to her. A wife feels these things right, especially as she observes how he treats the QD over the years. That scene and the things she said to the QD was her way of venting her anger at her.

Hope you has a good holiday.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Clapping Hands 1

@abs-oluteMI've picked this one up again now that I'm done with other K dramas. I'm now up to Episode 6.

So far I find the visual storytelling very absorbing. Love the leads and their interactions.

Maybe it's Jang Hyuk's performance but I'm having a hard time believing that he's a malevolent villain in this. I can't help feeling that he's testing and training Lee Tae. It seems like he genuinely believes that curbing the king's power is a good thing for the country.

• Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

On 6/7/2022 at 3:48 PM, Chocolate said:

But LT is now in a coma 😂. Notwithstanding that his character may not be unintelligent, just constrained by powers, and he did have foresight to marry the daughter of the War Minister (Cho), his role in this drama is written weakly. All the plotting is reserved for YJ and PGW. Now it seems YJ is going to rule the kingdom while pretending the King was awaken. Hopefully LT can still contribute something to the drama and doesn't wake up just in time for the ending lol.

Thanks Choco! Had a nice much needed break.

I have only watched till eps 11. My eyes were too tired to continue. I believe that 

Spoiler

..Lee Tae plotted this from the start. Lying there in coma is probably one of his most unexpected moves. Speculations I read from twitter is that the monk is his person - it is too much of a coincidence for someone like him to cross paths with the QD. To secure his own power, LT needs to get rid of the QD and break the alliance between her and PGW. The fact that she walked on that path reserved for the King means she has committed treason. That can be used against her to get her depose. And PGW ultimately wants a good ruler - not one absorbed with power to do as he or she pleases. 

Yay @40somethingahjumma . Glad you are watching this again. I don't really see PGW as a "villain" either . From what I understand, PGW has his own ideals. He is not craving power for the sake of his own benefit as ultimately what he wants is a good ruler for the nation. I think the fact that his son is so upright, tells you the sort upbringing he has been given and I think it reflects on PGW's own values. However, as we know, palace politics is complex. PGW does need to resort to some supposedly unethical means at times in order for him to achieve the Joseon he has been dreaming of. 

• Clapping Hands 2

Oh yeah!! I just finished eps 12..and oh my Lee Tae has indeed been playing the long game here. That was one well-planned and calculated move. 

Spoiler

I know PGW's concern is that LT would turn out to be a tyrant king - and I think there's always a possibility for that. But JY has been a positive influence on him. It does look like he sincerely wants to be a good king that prioritises the interests of his people. If only both he and PGW can see eye to eye. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

@abs-oluteMI've picked this one up again now that I'm done with other K dramas. I'm now up to Episode 6.

So far I find the visual storytelling very absorbing. Love the leads and their interactions.

Maybe it's Jang Hyuk's performance but I'm having a hard time believing that he's a malevolent villain in this. I can't help feeling that he's testing and training Lee Tae. It seems like he genuinely believes that curbing the king's power is a good thing for the country.

@40somethingahjumma Don't read anything I have written here. It's very embarassing 😁😂

2 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

I know PGW's concern is that LT would turn out to be a tyrant king - and I think there's always a possibility for that. But JY has been a positive influence on him. It does look like he sincerely wants to be a good king that prioritises the interests of his people. If only both he and PGW can see eye to eye. 

So the question is, why do the 3 not talk? I think PGW tried after he "accepted" YJ but LT did not listen. I have a feeling this is going to end with LT killing PGW.

• Insightful 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Chocolate said:

@40somethingahjumma Don't read anything I have written here. It's very embarassing 😁😂

So the question is, why do the 3 not talk? I think PGW tried after he "accepted" YJ but LT did not listen. I have a feeling this is going to end with LT killing PGW.

Oh that is a good speculation.

They definitely won't talk as PGW was indirectly responsible for LT's mother's death. Though she killed herself, it was PGW's meddling - forcing his father to have YJ's family beheaded etc that lead to her making that choice. From LT's perspective PGW is like the enemy. 

• Insightful 1

Wow the QD was brutal. Do you think PGW will kill her? I hope he doesn’t - she deserves a harsher punishment instead of a quick death.

The relationship between PGW and QD is more interesting than LT and YJ 😂 The former has real tension - they love each other and yet have to kill each other…

[Edit: There is also anguish. The QD just did to PGW what he tried so hard to eradicate...]

Edited by Chocolate
  • Insightful 1
18 hours ago, Chocolate said:

he relationship between PGW and QD is more interesting than LT and YJ 😂 The former has real tension - they love each other and yet have to kill each other…

It is very sad.  However the relationship is somewhat toxic.  He loved her to an extent but not enough as I felt he used her all the way. She loved him more and sacrificed herself for the vision that he had. 

I have yet to watch last night's ...but here's the pre-released

He is capable of cruelty if it gets him what he wants - no difference from PGW if you ask me. In fact , I was wondering if that whole farming in the palace thing was truly him wanting to understand & be acquainted with the troubles of his people. Or he was just trying to move YJ so that she stays with him? 

Hmmm I quote myself here because I had this bad feeling ...and tonight's spoiler seems to confirm my bad feelings. :psweatduck:

Spoiler

• Like 1

My take is this:

YJ has also kept LT in the dark about her plans, and her conversations/agreement with PGW. So, I don't see why she should feel so aggrieved that the poisoning was all part of his plan and he didn't tell her. It was a good plan and so much is at stake. If she knew, she may not have been able to act so well or she may have tried to protect her people and this would have caused suspicions. Thus, I feel LT did the right thing. (Wait, is this the first time I am saying good things about him? Hahahaha.) If YJ cannot understand this, then so be it.

Plus, the 2 of them have never talked about anything serious (they are teary eyed and hugging each other aaaaaallllllll the time) - it's 14 episodes and they have never once discussed or made plans about how to succeed together. It's such a waste because both are smart and want to do good for the people (I hope LT does, that is still not clear).

I can't believe the other concubine is still standing. Is LT letting her off because of her father? He is also not totally without fault, although he stood by the King at the end.

It also still doesn't make sense to me that nothing has happened to the QD yet. I would think she would be locked in some cold palace at least. Why is there a fear that he may seem to be unfilial when it is so clear her actions were treason? Dead Ministers were being hung on the wall. What more is needed.

• Clapping Hands 1