The Golden Spoon [2022]

stroppyse

Started watching. SJ is called underdog of the school. He works in part time jobs, as a delivery man, a cashier in a supermarket and he does the homework of other students. His father is a cartoonist and his sister works in a hair salon. One day, his poor friend JS commits mass suicide. SJ is sad. He meets an old woman who sells him a golden spoon, she tells him he has to eat three meals at a rich student's house and he will be able to swap parents with him.....

SJ eats the first meal, he helps the rich boy in reports requested by his father. He has a higher grades than one of the rich students whom he helped do the homework, he is threatened by him to let go of his rank. 

The rich guy invites SJ for the second meal, but his father threatens the rich son to send him to the states (there is a flashback of him being threatened by a gun), seems that the states holds a bad memory, he agrees to arrange for SJ's getting kicked out by accusing him of extorting money from him. SJ throws away the spoon in the trash. SJ fights with the rich guy near the river where SJ records the rich boy's confession of lying about the accusation. SJ fells in the water, the rich boy leaves him,  he doesn't try to save himself but he sees the golden spoon and strives to get out of the river. He succeeds, and looks for the spoon, when he finds it, he begs the rich father to give him a meal (the third one).

@SilverMoonTea @stroppyse @abs-oluteM @UnniSara @JenL

Edited by Nohamahmoud2002
  • Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 1
12 hours ago, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

Started watching. SJ is called underdog of the school. He works in part time jobs, as a delivery man, a cashier in a supermarket and he does the homework of other students. His father is a cartoonist and his sister works in a hair salon. One day, his poor friend JS commits mass suicide. SJ is sad. He meets an old woman who sells him a golden spoon, she tells him he has to eat three meals at a rich student's house and he will be able to swap parents with him.....

SJ eats the first meal, he helps the rich boy in reports requested by his father. He has a higher grades than one of the rich students whom he helped do the homework, he is threatened by him to let go of his rank. 

The rich guy invites SJ for the second meal, but his father threatens the rich son to send him to the states (there is a flashback of him being threatened by a gun), seems that the states holds a bad memory, he agrees to arrange for SJ's getting kicked out by accusing him of extorting money from him. SJ throws away the spoon in the trash. SJ fights with the rich guy near the river where SJ records the rich boy's confession of lying about the accusation. SJ fells in the water, the rich boy leaves him,  he doesn't try to save himself but he sees the golden spoon and strives to get out of the river. He succeeds, and looks for the spoon, when he finds it, he begs the rich father to give him a meal (the third one).

@SilverMoonTea @stroppyse @abs-oluteM @UnniSara @JenL

Oooh sounds interesting. I was thinking of giving it a go before since I figured I should try a drama that I wasn't expecting since this year has been kind of weird and I've been looking forward to a lot of dramas that are duds, whereas the dramas I picked up last minute, I loved. I also like the female lead. But no gurantees that I'll definitely watch since I'm only just catching up with the 2 dramas that I'm live watching :laugh:

• Clapping Hands 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

I tried both episodes. The bullying scenes aren't that bad; I suppose it may be because I've seen worst. Seung Cheon's poor background is easily relatable (nothing new in kdrama) and so was his desperation. It looks like it'll be a drama whereby Seung Cheon learns to appreciate what he currently has albeit they are poor. Although I wish for a different ending whereby the hero uses this opportunity to make a future of his own.

I was glad to know that Hwang Tae Yong isn't the bully here. He may seem arrogant to his school friends, but really he craves love and a "normal" life. I actually think if Seung Cheon can give up his real family and stop worrying about them then the boys might find happiness in this "new" life.

I am really hoping this isn't just going to be some teenage story because the most interesting bit for me is the tension scene(s) between Hwang Hyun Do and Seung Cheon (when he's Tae Yong). The real Tae Yong is too chicken to disobey or challenge his father but Seung Cheon is academically smarter than Tae Yong, so whatever "additional homework" Hwang Hyun Do throws at Seung Cheon, he would be able to complete. But what I really want to see is Seung Cheon taking on Hwang Hyun Do.

I'm also thinking perhaps at the end of the drama Tae Yong and Seung Cheon might end up being true friends after spending more time with each other's family. Another interesting plot is the loveline. Technically Ju Hee is engaged to Tae Yong, but she seems to like Seung Cheon, and Tae Yong likes Ju Hee. Although Tae Yong as Seung Cheon can't remember his own identity, he does somehow retain his personality.

• Party! 1

Ep. 2

SC swapped families with TY. We notice that SC is still polite and kind. He saves poor bullied students. He has 30 days to decide whether to continue being rich or not.

I'm, I think rich life has its disadvantages. So SC will learn a lesson. TY envied SC because TY's rich dad is too demanding. He looks at poor carefree children and feels sad. 

JH likes SC, despite being rich, she works with him in the convenience store. I think she will be torn between the two guys. SC helps her clean the store, check for expired products, she is surprised. 

SC buys clothes for his real family, but the mother doesn't accept them. He offers her money to pay the debts, but she refuses it too. 

The rich bullies are beating TY because the father of one bully learns that his son cheats, and beats him hard. SC comes to save TY. Again TY's trauma surfaces. He is afraid of guns.

Sungjae's acting skills are brilliant. I really hope more members join us

Welcome @mademoiselle ,🙂

• Like 1

In ep. 3 we witness more of SC's life, he invites his poor friends to his birthday. He takes revenge from the rich guy who intimidated SC. Ty's father is begging the loan sharks to give him a chance to pay. SC thanks his luck at being in place of TY. TY plays Chopin at the birthday party, to the surprise of everyone. TY remembers fragments of his real life. SC buys shares in the company. He reads the father's will excluding TY from it. Seems his dad left the will on purpose to push TY to work hard. JH seems to like SC as TY and as himself. Does TY regain his memory? He seems to be to the one sending the sms to SC.

SC's knows self defense. I guess SC's bodyguard starts to like her. I liked it when she hit the loan sharks. SC made the  owner of the house apologize for his family. 

JH had a poor friend who stole her watch. The friend dies of leukemia and her father blames JH. He follows her and tries to hit her but SC saves her. Now she seems to like both guys lol. In fact she likes Sungjae as SC and as TY.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I think it is interesting that there is another person who switch his/her life and now knows Seung Cheon's secret... since there's a spoon, could this mean there's a fork and/or chopstick? xD

Also the triangle love - she matches both guys, even I am unsure who to support!

I guess it is TY who sends the sms to SC?

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

I guess it is TY who sends the sms to SC?

It's Jung Nara. I am actually not so surprise about this but... was there a switch back next week for the boys?

The new character, step mother's brother Seo Joon Tae is interesting. I'm at awe that Tae Yong doesn't let his father knows Joon Tae has been nasty to him. I mean, no matter what, a father should protect the son even though he's strict.

:idk: I wonder if Hwang Hyun Do himself also benefited from the Golden Spoon. The story would be too twisted, wouldn't it? xD

At this point I'm actually loving how the real Tae Yong is enjoying and cherishing the life he has with Seung Cheon's family. It only he knew the truth, he would probably pick Seung Cheon's family too because he would have the life he wanted, even though he will be poor. Not that I don't relate and understand Seung Cheon's frustration of being poor and he did it because he felt powerless and unable to help his family.

• Like 1

I am all caught up. Just cannot stop watching. Sigh, now comes the agony of waiting for new episodes 😩

Very interesting story about what you’d be willing to exchange for riches. Many times the greener grass is not always what it seems to be. A lot of food for thought in this drama. I have read about the ending of the webtoon, and wonder if the ending of the drama adaptation will be the same or not. 

Since they have the same birthday, could they have been switched at the hospital since baby? Real Tae Yong having the talent to draw, is that inherited from Seung Cheon’s father? Then I wonder also whether Jung Na Ra and Oh Yoo Jin share the same birthday? 

• Like 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

I’m done watching the first 3 episodes. Will prolly watch the 4th later. So far, hafta say the storyline is quite intriguing and somewhat heavy. Taeyong’s father is somewhat odd. Not quite the rich eccentric, odd. His son comes back with a bruises lip, clearly from a fight, and he does not have a reaction to that at all?? And his step mum also. So odd in her disposition. She speaks and behaves almost like a child, I wonder what happened to his birth mother. And who was the person she was speaking to on the phone with such urgency to return as well? This inheritance business is adding to the mystery for sure.

• Like 2

Watched ep 4

Now SC starts to learn about the privileges of being poor. TY's life is sad, his step mom and her brother are so bad. His dad is arrogant and doesn't want his son to befriend SC, as he has a "bad effect" on him from his point of view. SC starts seeing his life in a new light. 

JN is stuck in her rich life because the real one is dead. She is evil. She owns a gold spoon too.

TY is a good guy, he had a sad life being rich, he appreciates his new poor life. He tells SC that money isn't everything, the strict life he led was suffocating.

SC lost his chance to swap parents on the 30th day. Does he have to stand this life for a whole year?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

SC lost his chance to swap parents on the 30th day. Does he have to stand this life for a whole year?

I think he will stick to this life for 10 years, which will bring us to the present time in 2022. The current storyline is set in 2012, I believe, judging from the types of mobile phone they’re using. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

31 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I think he will stick to this life for 10 years, which will bring us to the present time in 2022. The current storyline is set in 2012, I believe, judging from the types of mobile phone they’re using. 

But the step uncle is so evil, will SC manage to deal with him? Poor TY lived a hard life as a rich man. 

• Like 1

Finally caught up and also looked at the wiki page for the series. The description for HTY is that his life goes back and forth from being rich to poor not of his own will. Does this mean LSC will continue to utilise his golden spoon a few more times between then and now? The show starts in 2011, so we’re definitely going to see movements in time over an 11-year span, which is what the spoon allows — 30 days, 1 year and 10 years before life is cast in stone. 

I find it intriguing that OJN is an owner of a golden spoon. Since the girl she swapped lives with died some 5 years ago now, she must be within her 10-year period now. She’s able to identify LSC as a recipient of the golden spoon too. Does this mean that golden spoon users can identify other golden spooners? Or is she aware just by the clues of apparent inconsistencies in behaviours? 

I also find it a curious matter that HTY’s giftedness in art and personality are so similar to LC (LSC’s dad). Could HTY’s father actually have been a golden spooner himself and swapped lives with LC? Cos LSC’s talents and personality also seem so much better suited to being HHD’s son. But that being the case would probably be one switch too many and then logic would be complicated. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, gilaswan said:

I also find it a curious matter that HTY’s giftedness in art and personality are so similar to LC (LSC’s dad). Could HTY’s father actually have been a golden spooner himself and swapped lives with LC? Cos LSC’s talents and personality also seem so much better suited to being HHD’s son. But that being the case would probably be one switch too many and then logic would be complicated. 

Yes, many people have speculated this swapped lives. Or just simply that the two boys were switched at birth at the hospital.

• Like 1

MTDzeiV.gif