Tale of the Nine Tailed 구미호뎐 [S1-2020][S2-2023]

4 hours ago, Tofu said:

You didn't tell me what the scene was so I got spooked too! I was not expecting it and when it came on, I screamed. :letalQQ:

I don't know how you feel about this drama, but I feel like there's too much going on now. The Japanese arc is taking a turn I didn't see coming. Moo Young's arc is still a bit confusing to me. I don't think they have properly explained why his brother was killed. I can't get into this because I'm at a lost -- like why are you so obsessed with reviving him? I get why Lee Yeon would get this way with Rang, but I don't understand this one.

Are you dropping it? 🥲

It is still an OK watch. It's not perfect and Moo Yeong's obsession is getting a bit redundant but I still like Yeon, Rang and Shin Joo trio.

I think as expected the three of them will work together to fight the Japanese demons.

Hahaha 😅 is that like a scream coz you got a fright?

• Like 2

@mademoiselle I love Lee Yeon and Rang too much to drop it. I'll just put up with Moo Young. :GengarPout:

You know, the Japanese arc is more interesting than the thing with Moo Young. 

5 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

is that like a scream coz you got a fright?

Yeah! I didn't see it coming, but thinking back, I should have anticipated it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ahh...I thought it was odd that Seo Young Joo was cast as the hypnotist's assistant. It turns out, he is the boss of the shinigamis. 

I skipped a lot of the scenes back at the hotel because I really just wanted to see the mountain gods battle the shinigamis. However, nothing much happened these two episodes. The drama is waiting until the last two episodes to wrap up everything.

• Like 2

@Tofu I watched both episodes and yeah, a lot happened but also nothing happened. No progress whatsoever in terms of the storyline. Like you, I'm also more interested to see Yeon fight the merceneries, except I didn't expect him to be a fooled by that ol' one! I definitely didn't think he'd be so oblivious of Hong Joo pickpocketing him! I thought he's the cunning one out of the lot and smart enough! He's really disappointing me.

And you are right, it looks like the Mermaid and Rang were healed based on the preview. It would have been much more interesting if she died coz then it would make sense why Rang was so jaded in the future, and unable to love again because a fox only loves one woman all of his life.

• Like 2

@mademoiselle Yeah, he was easily fooled by that shinigami and Hong Joo when he's the cunning one. I thought he would have planned a little better, but maybe Saturday's episode will surprise us. It just felt like the last two episodes were fillers. :idk:

On 6/6/2023 at 6:49 AM, mademoiselle said:

then it would make sense why Rang was so jaded in the future, and unable to love again because a fox only loves one woman all of his life.

Hahahaha!! YES! I agreed, it would have played into this really well if they made it that way. Who knows, it could still happen. It seems like they are saving everything for the last two episodes. 

• Like 2
On 6/9/2023 at 9:11 PM, mademoiselle said:

I'm going to miss their bromance!

Me too!! 

Did you watch episode 11?! Does that mean the mountain gods will die?! Moo Yeong died, he did?! How that happened was so sad...I was at a loss for words. :scaredpanda2:

• Like 2

I finished episode 12 and it was packed with so many things. They really waited until the last episode to wrap up everything, did they? Haha! 

It's a happy ending for everyone, and frankly, I'm glad. I know that sometimes one or two characters will get sacrificed, but I'm ok knowing no one did. Moo Yeong did not died and was saved by Lee Yeon. I was sad at the thought of Hong Joo losing Jae Yoo, but again, he was saved by Lee Yeon. 

The departure scene between Lee Yeon and Lee Rang had me in tears. I am going to miss them! They are definitely one of my favorite pairs of siblings in dramaland. I hope we get to see them again in the Joseon period. 

TOTNT-04.gif

After Lee Yeon left, the real 1938 Lee Yeon, Hong Joo, and Moo Yeong teamed up to take on the Japanese Occupation as well as whatever else come their way. 

TOTNT-07.gif

You know --- with all the changes present-day Lee Yeon did in 1938, I'm curious if it changed the future. We will never know, but my hope is that Lee Rang feels what it's like to love and be loved. 

The drama did not wrap up the the real mountain god's storyline, because this will be the set-up for season three. We will be transported back to the Joseon period and learn more about the real mountain god, before it became four. I hope we meet the fourth mountain god too. 

Lee Dong Wook and Kim Beom confirmed their season three appearance when they confirmed the second one. I hope Kim So Yeon comes back at Hong Joo and Ryu Kyung Soo as Moo Yeong. I don't think I can see anyone else as their character if they decide not to return. 

Did you finish, @mademoiselle

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
4 hours ago, Tofu said:

You know --- with all the changes present-day Lee Yeon did in 1938, I'm curious if it changed the future. We will never know, but my hope is that Lee Rang feels what it's like to love and be loved. 

I was wondering about that. How can the future not change with everything LY did in 1938?

For instance, I can't imagine that LR still has so much hatred for LY after what they went through. LY 1938 is a mean pathetic opium addict, however, LR now knows what LY will become, not to mention their bromance. I wonder if when LY finally gets back to his timeline, he'll find that things will have changed? Who knows, perhaps in the new timeline, LR is still alive with his mermaid.

I'm still playing catch up on this drama, but I am enjoying season 2 more than season 1. I think the bromance is better than the romance in season 1. I want LY to get back to his wife, but it would be strange to think that the world did not change somehow.

I didn't realize that there would be a season 3, but now, I'm very curious about it. I hope that HJ and MY come back for season 3 as well.

• Like 2

@Tofu @stroppyse If I remember correctly in earlier episode, Yeon wanted to change Rang's future and Taluipa mentioned it won't change the future.

===

Finale - Episode 12

I thought the villain died a little too easily, but whatever, I liked the special effects of the Gumiho. I don't understand why tvN is so stingy with letting Yeon show his Gumiho's eyes and 9 tails.

I enjoyed S2 more than S1 too, even though it got a bit draggy and super messy. The mystical + fantasy world building aren't very well thought out, but what stood out the most and I love are the bromance and the Mountain Gods' twisted friendship. However, what's this talk about the 4th Mountain God? Has that ever been mentioned in S1?

I didn't realise (or remember) we will have S3. We're going back in time even more now. I guess it's tied to the original Mountain God since he still needs all the treasures.

Most importantly, what was that power Rang displayed there? He can even do telekinesis! If there is no future for Rang, how will we ever find out how far he can surpass Yeon? Arggghhhh!

@Tofu Ahahahaha! Ryu Kyung Soo does have that "older" look. A family member saw LDW while I was watching the finale

Spoiler

and commented LDW look girly. :laugh: I asked how old does he think LDW is and he said in his 30s. At least LDW would be happy to hear he still looks 30s.

LOL, why is LDW crying when they are going to film S3?

FyWOfAWaIAACEhF?format=jpg&name=large

FyWOfAXakAARxe5?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

However, what's this talk about the 4th Mountain God? Has that ever been mentioned in S1?

It was mentioned in S2. I think it was Taluipa who said it. There used to only be one mountain god, but something happened. The soul/power or whatever it is was split into four. I am assuming that means there are four mountain gods. It could also mean there are three mountain gods and the original mountain god is the fourth one. 

7 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Most importantly, what was that power Rang displayed there? He can even do telekinesis! If there is no future for Rang, how will we ever find out how far he can surpass Yeon? Arggghhhh!

I was surprised by his power too. It makes me wish there was a redo of S1 so we can see this. Or maybe Rang will be reborn. Wait...I guess once he's reborn, he will lose his power so maybe not this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Tofu I forgot to point out is Hong Joo alive in the future? We will never know. Ok, so the 4th mountain god is only mentioned in S2. Taluipa said one split into four, so I'm expecting there are a 4th mountain god.

16 minutes ago, Tofu said:

I was surprised by his power too. It makes me wish there was a redo of S1 so we can see this. Or maybe Rang will be reborn. Wait...I guess once he's reborn, he will lose his power so maybe not this. 

I don't like being teased like this 😕

Yeah, no to reborn because he will lose his memory and power.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

If I remember correctly in earlier episode, Yeon wanted to change Rang's future and Taluipa mentioned it won't change the future.

You're probably right, but if so, then all this prequel stuff makes Season 1 pretty illogical, e.g. given the relationship that Rang and Yeon forged in 1938, why would Rang be out for vengeance the way he was in Season 1? Though given that it's just a drama, I'm probably being too pedantic about it anyway.

16 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

However, what's this talk about the 4th Mountain God? Has that ever been mentioned in S1?

I'll defer to @Tofu on this one since I don't remember a specific number of mountain gods mentioned in S1.

However, I always assumed that there were more mountain gods. Given Korean folklore, almost every mountain/range had it's own regional god rather than there being a "One True Mountain God," so I had assumed that Yeon was one of those.

10 hours ago, Tofu said:

Well, season 1 would be a completely different story if Rang didn't harbor hurt feelings toward Yeon and was also more powerful.

I have mixed feelings on being reborn. On the one hand, Rang would probably lose his power and his memories, so he wouldn't have the bromance with Yeon. On the other hand, Rang wouldn't be completely dead to the world, so he and Yeon could find each other again in some lifetime.

And also, it's a fantasy, so we might as well wish Rang to be restored to life somehow so that the bromance can live on in the modern day as well.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, stroppyse said:

You're probably right, but if so, then all this prequel stuff makes Season 1 pretty illogical, e.g. given the relationship that Rang and Yeon forged in 1938, why would Rang be out for vengeance the way he was in Season 1? Though given that it's just a drama, I'm probably being too pedantic about it anyway.

I'd like to say maybe it is a parallel universe, but then I also think I'm just making up excuses for writer's screw up. LOL.

However, I always assumed that there were more mountain gods. Given Korean folklore, almost every mountain/range had it's own regional god rather than there being a "One True Mountain God," so I had assumed that Yeon was one of those.

(From Wikipedia) Yeon is Mountain God of Baekdu-daegan. He seems to guard a larger region than Moo Yeong and Hong Joo because Moo Yeong is Mountain God of the North and Hong Joo is the West. Baekdu-daegan, according to Wikipedia, describes a 1500 km long mountain range that runs from Paektu Mountain in the north to the Cheonwangbong Peak of Jirisan in the south. It may even include Hallasan on Jeju Island. The concept also consequently describes the watershed of the peninsula, and notes 13 jeongmaek, mountain ranges that branch off the main range, that effectively channel Korea's most significant rivers to the ocean. a crestline which no body of water ever crosses.

And also, it's a fantasy, so we might as well wish Rang to be restored to life somehow so that the bromance can live on in the modern day as well.

I prefer this. The writer can make up so much new stuff in S2 that isn't logically link to S1, I don't see why not she can't bring Rang back to life in the present. And I'm devastated to learn last night Kim Beom may not return in S3 because his wrap up message said it's the last one. That said, it was written in Dec 2022 so they may only confirm S3 in 2023. But then @Tofu did say in Joseon period, Rang would only be a child so that shattered my hope again...

• Like 2

@mademoiselle I had to use VPN to watch the video from tvN. I don't know why they blocked it! There were so many cute BTS moments between the two brothers and also the entire cast. LDW and KB cried on their last day. KB even visited the set on LDW's last day as well as when JB filmed. 

I think that if they are going to bring back a season three, it's a must to have the brothers. I don't know about other people but they are the biggest draw for me -- the reason why I watched through those lackluster episodes. LOL!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 6/13/2023 at 6:54 PM, Tofu said:

I think that if they are going to bring back a season three, it's a must to have the brothers. I don't know about other people but they are the biggest draw for me -- the reason why I watched through those lackluster episodes. LOL!

I don't think I would watch a season 3 if it didn't have both Fox brothers. Their bromance was what made me stick with season 1 and watch season 2, and I enjoyed season 2 more because the bromance was more plentiful. Think I'll have to rewatch the whole thing again.  :heart:

On 6/13/2023 at 1:31 AM, mademoiselle said:

I prefer this. The writer can make up so much new stuff in S2 that isn't logically link to S1, I don't see why not she can't bring Rang back to life in the present. And I'm devastated to learn last night Kim Beom may not return in S3 because his wrap up message said it's the last one. That said, it was written in Dec 2022 so they may only confirm S3 in 2023. But then @Tofu did say in Joseon period, Rang would only be a child so that shattered my hope again...

The problem with going back in time is that it messes with the future stories where LR and LY are at odds with each other, at least at the start of the drama.

I'm thinking that they could do a time jump forward where LR is miraculously been restored again, LY and Shin Ju both have children (kits?) with their respective spouses, and everyone is balancing family and demons. Not sure how they'll bring back the mermaid for LR, but they would have to do that as well since apparently foxes mate once and for life.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, stroppyse said:

The problem with going back in time is that it messes with the future stories where LR and LY are at odds with each other, at least at the start of the drama.

I'm thinking that they could do a time jump forward where LR is miraculously been restored again, LY and Shin Ju both have children (kits?) with their respective spouses, and everyone is balancing family and demons. Not sure how they'll bring back the mermaid for LR, but they would have to do that as well since apparently foxes mate once and for life.

That's what I'm thinking... after Rang sacrifice himself, somehow he came back — maybe a reward Lee Yeon earned by fighting the mystical villain and he was granted a wish that sort of thing. I mean, Hong Joo's loyal servant dog was revived; the original mountain god came back to life, there's hope for Rang. He just needs to return in the "right" way so that King Yeomra and Taluipa can't deny it.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Tudor Rose said:

Not really on to the storyline but the bromance of LDW and KB is irresistible.

Yes, I think most of us agree with you on that one!

21 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I mean, Hong Joo's loyal servant dog was revived; the original mountain god came back to life, there's hope for Rang. He just needs to return in the "right" way so that King Yeomra and Taluipa can't deny it.

That's totally right! All these other souls came back from the dead, so there is still hope for Rang. Especially if there is to be a season 3. I'll say it again, I don't think I'll watch it if both Yeon and Rang aren't in it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2