The Legend of Shenli / Yu Feng Xing 与凤行 [2024]

This show has all the makings of being one of the year's biggest hit. It just goes from strength to strength with a few pit stops along the way. It is a tad slow in parts but at least we're learning something about the characters or those worlds they inhabit. There's a surprising amount of eye candy here that can actually act. The actor who plays Fu Rong appears to be one of the younger members and he's turning in quite a decent performance. In fact, I almost liked Fu Rong in Episode 16. His character development, I imagine, will be one of the things to look forward to.

So we have a Ancient One -- a lonely and bored god-like figure who is seeking companionship and pleasure now that his fellow ancient ones are no longer around. The last time I heard the expression "ancient ones" used was in the Stargate franchise. It helps to think of Xing Zhi as some kind of powerful alien living in the outer parts of known space that's looking for something to pass the long dreary hours away by himself.

I was pleased to see the return of the little mermaid (Xiao He) and her prince who are reborn as potential lovers again this time around. He's her physician father's pupil. I always wondered how Gu Chengjin's story ended and I'm glad that we got some closure. What was really interesting was how his story and that of the demoness who sacrificed herself was part of something else bigger and even more tragic. Gu Chengjin reborn as Jing Yan was an Ancient One, Qing Ye who was banished to earth by the God because he misused his power to save the woman he loved. They are now destined to "miss each other". This time, the story ends more happily for the little mermaid. In this iteration Gu Chengjin aka Jing Yan chooses to be with her rather than the wife of the previous life. Thematically all of that of course is a foreshadowing of the other romance -- the main one -- "loving someone you shouldn't".

Xing Zhi finally confesses to being Xing Yun. Whatever reason he has for maintaining the charade of not wanting to be with Shen Li, will probably make sense. Considering that he has some degree of foresight, he must know something that is holding him back. Plus the experience of Qing Ye must surely give him pause.

Of course in the background to all of this is the age old Man vs Fate theme. No drama is ever going to resolve that but it is telling that they're putting that front and centre after that near fatal encounter with Fu Sheng.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

11 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I am actually up to eps 23 at where Shen Li  and her realm have become targets of these "demons" or whatever they are call .  MF's body is missing and I can already forsee that they will use it to cultivate these creatures, and use him against her (or something along those lines). By the way, the folks in the Divine Realm are far from divine ! So many annoying & hateful beings. Such a waste of a pretty place - the peace and abundance they have enjoyed has made them complacent and self-centered. They should all be sent to the mortal realm to suffer! 

I felt the same way. The Divine realm beings are lazy and rely solely on the Immortal Real warriors while they live a life of luxury and try to control the Ancient god to protect them and the three realms while they live happy lives. 

• Like 2

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

Xing Zhi is a complex character and as the story progresses you start to understand his every actions so far. As an Ancient God he knows a lot and again tries not to interfere but I believe it will all be explained.  
Shen Li is an amazing person and truly loyal. I believe her holiness did not really play a part in the women and warriors she is. 

Spoiler

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7hti88bc4c0si689sjj

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7hti88bc4c0si689sjj

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7s42epjtraotkke90kv

• Heart Eyes 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

22 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I almost liked Fu Rong in Episode 16. His character development, I imagine, will be one of the things to look forward to.

He Yu did a great job portraying Fu Rong and you are right his character development is something to look forward too. His development was a slow process because of his interactions with Shen Li and Xing Zhi. 
Jackie Li another great performance as You Lan. She was awesome and you won’t believe what she becomes. Let me know when you do figure it out. 

• Clapping Hands 1

I finished all eps...:cool:  I have to say that this drama is what we Cdrama fans have been pleading for. It got great casts (great chemistry and great acting), great pacing (bit slow sometime, slow burn I would say but not draggy), great styling (simple but beautiful, clean lines and unostentatious), no unnecessary misunderstanding or noble idiocy tropes, great characterisation and development, especially great story with all loose ends tied beautifully with pretty bows. The best part is the ending where we are given ample time to see how happy ever after they become, unlike some where the happy end were only 5 seconds at the end or worse, open ending..:shocked:). The thing that I really really appreciate from this drama is in how the writers respect us as viewers but never insult our intelligence....:wow:

Heavenly Grandchildren Sibs are the best character aside from the CP. Furong is naughty but he have never been a black-hearted character. He is vain and spoiled but all stemmed from his sheltered upbringing as a noble. The moment he was face with a dire situation he has always make great decision. His sis has similar character. They are delightful to watch. I was ROFLMAO when You Lan tried to activated the beam to bring them up to Extranatural Heaven and when she knocked her bro off just to open his head up to binges on his memory....:PsyWhat:

XZ is what a god should be, I have to say one of the smartest god I have seen in my history of XianXia watching. He has never does something without a meaningful purpose. When he imprisoned SL, many thought he is simply infatuated with her but actually he wanted her to sees her history so when it time comes she knows what to do willingly and prepared. He is powerful but never unreasonably overbearing, once again everything has it's purpose.

SL is young (well, compare to the Lolo/YeYe/Kakek/Grandpa XZ :HaunterOK:) but she has never blinded by her love for XZ. She has strong sense of responsibility, great self control and ready to sacrifices herself for her people. She never wavers in her quest. The most pitiful character is SL's dad...:nervous: He was created for the sole purpose of being a sacrificial lamb...:cry:

I love Miss Snake "Jin" Demon too. She is very likeable and loving. Her boytoy is cute and I think I saw him in Kunning Palace snippets. The scenes where ZX and SL swapping body is delightful to watch.

Edited by OsmanthusTea
  • Clapping Hands 2
4 hours ago, OsmanthusTea said:

XZ is what a god should be, I have to say one of the smartest god I have seen in my history of XianXia watching. He has never does something without a meaningful purpose. When he imprisoned SL, many thought he is simply infatuated with her but actually he wanted her to sees her history so when it time comes she knows what to do willingly and prepared. He is powerful but never unreasonably overbearing, once again everything has it's purpose.

YZ was very wise and I believe Natural Law expected all this to happen @OsmanthusTea

Spoiler
Spoiler

Planned it all from the time of his birth/creation. Him falling in love with SL was the catalyst that gave him the edge to end the threat that hangs over the three realm.  He had live a solitary, miserable life for him to fall hard for Shen Li. 

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

On 4/6/2024 at 7:16 PM, OsmanthusTea said:

I'm on the 28th and I finally realised why XY showed such hostility toward MF, his hostility didn't sprang from a merely jealousy but more I believe.

I was so sad to find out about MF's betrayal. From Shen Li's perspective he's pretty much unforgiveable. Though I do have some sympathy for him. He was raised for this purpose to infiltrate the enemy's camp and save his evil father. His devotion to SL is genuine and he saved her. I guess he's arc will be a tragic one.

22 hours ago, UnniSara said:

He Yu did a great job portraying Fu Rong and you are right his character development is something to look forward too. His development was a slow process because of his interactions with Shen Li and Xing Zhi. 
Jackie Li another great performance as You Lan. She was awesome and you won’t believe what she becomes. Let me know when you do figure it out. 

The siblings had the best and most hilarious character development . They annoyed me as heck initially but I found them endearing as they realised the error of their ways and became such supporters of the leads.

I have 10 more episodes to go. I love eps 27 and 28 because the leads for once , just focused on each other and had some time to themselves. But I died laughing here...:laugh:

Spoiler

GKkBkNVb0AEXhvG?format=jpg&name=large

• Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

I have a few more episodes left but I cannot not comment on this scene :laugh:. I know this was the ultimate fan service but how come I feel the leads were so awkward in it as if they are doing kiss scenes for the first time. I have seen low budget dramas with lesser known leads who kiss so naturally without inhibition. Or was it intentional since they were not suppose to give in to their desires in the first place? 

Anyhow I am happy they sealed the deal here but I wish it wasn't in this cave of desire - kind of strange message to send that physical intimacy is "bad" thing even when it is between two people who love/like each other? LOL

Spoiler

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

@OsmanthusTea I died a little here. 🤣🤣. The director thinks the kiss scene is good & even ask LYN to watch it as tutorial

Spoiler

It’s true that LGX’s kiss scenes has never left an impact on me 😭😭

• Haha 1

Aw man, catching up on the comments here is making me reenergized to get back into Shen Li.  I totally fell off the bandwagon after "War of Faith."  😅  Shen Li has felt soooo draggy in comparison, but maybe I just need to get through this middle part that I'm in as it sounds like a lot of excitement is yet to come!

• Clapping Hands 1

My Fanfics

Descendants of the Sun • A Love So Beautiful • Le Coupe de Foudre • Gank Your Heart • Go Ahead • Legend of Fei