The Last Immortal 神隐 [2023-2024]

Tofu

The Last Immortal 神隐

008v-GVu-Jly1hkplnv62inj37cw4k2e85.jpg

Chinese Title: 神隐 / Shen Yin
English Title: The Last Immortal
Novel: Shen Yin by Xing Ling
Director: Chen Jia Lin (Previous work: The Untamed, Weaving a Tale of Love)
Screenwriter: Liu Fang (Previous work: Love and Redemption, Mysterious Lotus Casebook)
Genre: Xianxia
Episodes: 40
Broadcasting Network: Tencent, WeTV
Airing Date: December 11th, 2023

Synopsis:

The story follows Ah Yin (Zhao Lusi) and Gu Jin (Wang Anyu), the son of the true god whose power was sealed, as they embark on an adventure to collect the pieces of Fengyin Immortal's soul. They met each other by accident and together with their companions Hong Yi, a fox from the Demon Clan, and Yan Shuang, the Princess from the Eagle Clan, they fight against the odds to achieve their goals. (Credit)

Official Websites:
Baidu | Weibo | Douban

Cast.

008v-GVu-Jgy1haka7ywprij33a44t8npj.jpg
Zhao Lusi as Ah Yin / Feng Yin

008v-GVu-Jgy1haka82kfjcj33a44t87wn.jpg

Wang Anyu as Gu Jin / Yuan Qi / Pu Yin

(Son of Shang Gu and Bai Jie -- characters from Ancient Love Poetry)

Supporting Cast

Spoiler

008v-GVu-Jgy1haka8a82ycj33a44t84qx.jpg
Li Yun Rui as Hong Yi

008v-GVu-Jgy1haka8eu9mdj33a44t8npi.jpg

Jia Nai as Yan Shuang

Ying Er as Hong Ruo

Cao Fei Ran as Hua Shu, Peacock Princess

Cui Hang as Lan Feng

He Kai Lang as Xiu Yan / Ao Ge

Zhou Zhi as Hong Chou

Xue Jia Ning as Feng Yuan

Sun Yi as Xian Zhu

Huang Ri Ying as San Sheng Shi

Qi Pei Xin as Bi Bo

Kenji Chen as Ming Qi

Fan Jing Wen as A Yu / Mei Mei Dan

Xu Ling Chen as Xiao Qingyi

Zheng Guo Lin as Peacock King

Li Fan Cheng as Yuan Shenjian

Chen Jian Lin (陈健林) as Mu Yue

Xu Ke as Feng Ming

He Lei as Wu Gui

Qiu Bo Hao as Senior Brother

Ou Mi De

Fang Han Bing as Zi Qing

Han Shuai as Jing Lei

Feng Ming Jing

Gao Ji Cai as Ling Feng

Character Chart.

Spoiler

008v-GVu-Jly1hkoj88ynpyj31z03vkqva.jpg

This drama is, essentially, the sequel to Ancient Love Poetry. Wang Anyu plays Gu Jin, who is the son of Shang Gu (played by Zhou Dong Yu) and Bai Jue (played by Xu Kai). Gu Jin's powers were sealed away. When Bai Jue sacrificed himself in Ancient Love Poetry, Shang Gu closed the God Realm and sent their son (Yuan Qi) away.

However, I read that the drama is trying to separate themselves from Ancient Love Poetry, so they changed Shang Gu's and Bai Jue's name in the drama. This drama (and novel) is on the Phoenix Queen, Feng Yin (played by Zhao Lusi). 

I watched the first two episodes and so far, it's been enjoyable. I have never seen Wang Anyu in a costume drama before so it'll be interesting to see how he does giving life to his character. Lusi is great as usual and it seems like both actors dubbed their characters. 

More Photos.

Spoiler

008v-GVu-Jgy1hkofo1qb7sj34k26u2hdx.jpg
008v-GVu-Jgy1hkofo4c8k4j34k26u2e85.jpg
008v-GVu-Jgy1hkofo7ocrdj34k26u21l2.jpg
008v-GVu-Jgy1hkofp8q7umj34k26u2b2d.jpg

• Heart Eyes 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I binged this series over the weekend and it was not bad. I've seen better xianxia dramas, but I didn't think it was horrible. Gu Jin is able to awaken his True God powers after his tribulation (the destruction of Daze Mountain). Ah' Yin is able to awaken her Phoenix Queen powers after her own tribulations (Ah Yin's death) too. There was a lot of push and pull with the romance. Both were really stubborn and misunderstood each other a lot. There were moments I felt for both of them but also times I was just frustrated that they were talking but not communicating. I felt similarly about the second couple too. At the end, it all worked out and it's a happy ending. Although, I would have wished they showed the couple hug or something. They were both just staring at each other smiling. 

I didn't care about the Peacock Tribe messing with the devil's power even though I understand that was a big part of the drama. I guess I was so exhausted with both father and daughter that it didn't matter to me what they were doing anymore. For the Devils, I am interested to see if the Devil King (who's been in prison) is able to change his fate. I was a bit fascinated by his character.