Youth of May 오월의 청춘 [2021]

Eps 10 ( wahh this drama is depressing)

So since they didn't go off, they continue to help out in the hospital. Hehe, Myung Hee so happy to hear the nurses praise Hee Tae, saying he's better than some of the interns. Later HT grabbed MH to go wait with him at the Emergency entrance. So funny because he when they bicker he says she is the reason he is doing this. LOL...she was like stop nagging . Then a patient came in the ambulance. And the soldiers are very vicious - think they are shooting the civilians. 

Spoiler

Flashback to Kyung Soo and Hee Tae's friendship before KS join the army. And some scene in the army showing how uncomfortable KS is having to load bullets in his gun. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Gun shots can be heard ...Soo Ryeon's father trying hard to contact Soo Chan. Not knowing that Soo Chan has been captured ...Poor Soo Chan, already injured got kicked further for trying to help someone who passed out

Our caring Myung Hee cannot bring herself to leave. (Jinah's dad came and was very grateful they saved her. )

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Oh when Jin A dad came he told MH , he thinks he saw Myung Soo in the town centre

Spoiler

Oh dear the two younger brothers had left camp to come to the city for some fun, not realising that what is happening

Spoiler

So that's why Myung Hee wanted to go with the ambulance to pick up victims. Hee Tae won't let her go alone & followed. My gosh, in the soldiers shot anyone even the one of the doctor. MHee heard the faint cry of a kid and saw a shoe that looks like her bro and she ran to look ...Hee Tae tried to stop her but couldn't . She almost got shot

This scene was super emotional. MHee found the kid...not her brother. Then Kyung Soo who had orders to beat anyone even the medical team who helped the civilians was going to hit MHee but could not. Hee Tae saw and wrestled with Kyung Soo. Later they realised it was each other. Stunned, Kyung Soo could not shoot or stop them. Think Hee Tae told him Seok Chol ( the girl in coma ) is in Gwangju. Then MH and HT left with the ambulance

Spoiler

I am glad that they are each other's safe harbour

Spoiler

His poor friend Kyung Soo got reprimanded for failure to shoot / hit the rioters.

Spoiler

And oh my the two boys actually saw all the violence and Jung Tae saw his father! Apparently later on while Myung Soo got back to camp safely, Jung Tae was missing

Final scene...Think they were supposed to go on another round to the town to help or something , then MHee father came ...so Hee Tae told her to stay back to talk to the dad. He will go with the other doc...and my goodness ...some truck came charging at the ambulance they were in!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Just give me some rifles and I'm also gonna shoot at those military guys who beat up the civilians!! Urgh, watching these two episodes made me so angry!!

The drama is well written. I've seen people praising it for keeping very close to the actual event. But what I really like is that the balance is kept well in that there are tense moments we feel some anxieties, but there are heartwarming and encouraging scenes as well. Some good lines there and related scenes with regards to the title of episode 10.

Myung Hee ah... please look at the situation... it's not the time to be logging heads with your father anymore. Sorry, I still cannot understand why she is so angry at her father. Whatever it is, this is not the time, because really, he could've died on the way to check on you and to bring you home.

20 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I was so sad when the cop ahjussi died. He was so kind letting everybody off but clearly he was made to pay for doing that. The soldiers' brutality was awful .

I cried too at that scene. So this is also another scene that I appreciate the production for, that we're saved from watching the brutality towards him, yet the impact for us was still so great.

I really love that Kim Kyung Soo found the courage to speak up, although I worry what will become of him. I really hate people who are abusing their power. They're placed there for the protection for the people, yet they're acting like they're the mighty ones just because they're armed. 

I wonder what Jung Tae will feel now towards his father. Looks like Hee Tae's involvement in the past became something that his boss is holding against him. Pffft... I hope he feels more pressures and humiliations like that. 

I worry for their friend, Kwon... I really don't think he will make it alive :nervous:

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

4 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I wonder what Jung Tae will feel now towards his father. Looks like Hee Tae's involvement in the past became something that his boss is holding against him. Pffft... I hope he feels more pressures and humiliations like that. 

It is traumatic for children to have to witness things like that. The way Jung Tae was acting out after he and Myung Soo returned back to camp (phew that they did) shows how shocked he was seeing his father like that, but  he doesn't have any one he can confide in. One of my wishes is that the brothers can become closer. JT could do with some good male role model in his life.

I am glad from the preview that Soo Chan is alright. But the question is now what has happened to Hee Tae.  I am worried that somehow MHee will be dragged into all this, some sacrifice of their relationship is needed again for him to remain alive. 

I agree that this drama is very well-written. It is not trying to preach a message but it tells it as it is. Not everyone affected by the Gwangju uprising were protesters wishing to change the world. Many became casualties for just being bystanders , somewhat collateral damage. The soldiers were brutal but many of them were just impressionable young adults who had no choice but to follow orders and were equally as scared . There were good people among those in authority like the cop ahujussi who died and the hospital doctors who risk their lives to save the injured on the streets.  Our  protagonists here were just two ordinary lovers trying to find a way to be together . They ended up helping because it was the human thing to do. 

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

29 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

But the question is now what has happened to Hee Tae. 

Two guesses

- the father got him and just want to confine him until things got settled.

- the boss of the father got him, to somehow pressurise the father doing something else maybe?

I cannot read the subs in my preview because some words from the ads blocking the subs. But it seems like only Hee Tae was captured while the doctor driving the ambulance was not? Is it right?

• Like 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

39 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

cannot read the subs in my preview because some words from the ads blocking the subs. But it seems like only Hee Tae was captured while the doctor driving the ambulance was not? Is it right?

Yes correct. Though it is not clear if the other doc is alive or not . 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

15 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Some wrapping up group photos, lol, look at Lee Do Hyun~

Can't help but wonder... one pic has Myung Hee dressed in white dress and Hee Tae seems to be in a suit? Are we going to see a wedding? Then another picture, Jung Tae and his mother seems to have visited Myung Soo's house? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MTDzeiV.gif

16 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Can't help but wonder... one pic has Myung Hee dressed in white dress and Hee Tae seems to be in a suit? Are we going to see a wedding? Then another picture, Jung Tae and his mother seems to have visited Myung Soo's house?

Hahaha. I dunno but I doubt Hee Tae's father would give them his blessings!

• Haha 2

More thoughts on ep.9-10. I watched both episodes back to back but time seems to just fly by. So much is happening and I was mostly on the edge of my seat too that I hardly feel the passing of time.

- Myung Hee answering the call of duty was awesome, that Hee Tae ended up reluctantly helping out with the wounded people. Like some of the nurses commented, he quickly adapted and was performing better than some of the interns. Because of this, Hee Tae was able to overcome his trauma also when he had to save Jin Ah. They both belong in the medical field, it will just be such great pairing for them to be together. 

- Appreciate the little respite they find in each other after such a long and challenging days. From treating beating injuries, to stabbing wounds, to shot wounds. Then when Hee Tae comforted Myung Hee for thinking of herself as a hypocrite. Love what he said there because it's true that what's wrong with worrying about the people we love, then his assurance that he will be the one doing the dangerous stuff.

- He also thanked Myung Hee, because he is a person who choose to avoid this kind of uncomfortable situation and will run away the earliest possible chance, while Myung Hee is the one who stays despite discomfort. Because of her, he experienced staying put even when it's not to his liking.

- Also appreciate the make up team for getting the blood right. For once, we see faded colour of blood on their clothes after a long day, instead of the bright red fresh blood colours often seen in other dramas.

- Soo Ryeon and Soo Chan. Both have good hearts despite their rich background. Soo Ryeon tried to rescue a high-schooler, but got rounded up instead. Same goes for Soo Chan, even worse, got beaten up so badly and taken away, then beaten up again. They could've chosen to ignore what they saw and walk away, but they didn't. This episode also redeemed Soo Ryeon for me when she put herself all in to save and treat the injured people. I love that there's the official hospital treating people, but also the activists doing their share elsewhere in their own way too.

- It doesn't seem that Hee Tae's father planned to save Soo Chan, but he got him out anyway, because he needed intel on where Soo Ryeon and Hee Tae are at. And poor Soo Chan got hit again and strangled, urgh.... At the end of the day though, he is also just a puppet used by the higher-ups. 

- At the beginning of ep.9, Hee Tae shared in a monologue about his gut feel that something bad is going to happen. Then later on he also narrated that there will be a typhoon coming... this truly got me worried what else is to come for the last two episodes. I read some excerpts that people shared about the incident. It will last until the 28th of May. Then there was this one person who got sentenced to death, later changed to life sentence. Wonder if this person is anywhere in our drama.

- Really love how the writer expounded on Kindness, Hypocrisy and Bravery (is this the English translation for the title?) through the happenings that our characters went through in ep.10.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

15 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Hahaha. I dunno but I doubt Hee Tae's father would give them his blessings!

32 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I read they were not filmed in order....I am trying to tamper my expectations of a happy ending. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

I read they were not filmed in order....I trying to tamper my expectations of a happy ending. :lol:

GMS has the script for ep.12 in front of her... so it is the finale episode :smile: 

I somehow feel with the way Writer is presenting the story so far, there will be a happy ending. I think there is a message of hope/encouragement that Writer is trying to convey.

Argh... I am late for class!! Later~~

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

I didn't know it was GMS' first on-screen kiss :thinking:  Haha... I know PBY's first was in Oh My Ghostess...

I didn’t as well . But I think one of her 1st main cast role was Secret Boutique, our ship that never took off :nervous: . Just saw her bio , YOM really her 1st lead role.  Rest is like 2nd lead or supporting cast . At least she get to kiss LDH . Haha . 

• Haha 1
  • Party! 1

I just completed episode 9 and liked this episode more than the rest of previous episodes. :pandaheadstomp: The forbidden love bit is just not my cuppa so I'm happy to see that the storyline shifted to focus on the Gwangju uprising and have Myung Hee and Hee Tae work together as nurse and doctor, embracing their calling.

I'm also glad that Hee Tae only has a mild concussion (was really worried there would be sequelae). And of course I'm also glad that he was able to save Jin Ah and is able to recover from his nightmarish trauma.

I can't help but be thankful I have never had to be around to witness something so awful. There's this part of me that think without these protests, the future would have been different for some countries and this is thanks to the people who were brave enough to stand up to the government and fight for what they believe. On the other hand, I always ALWAYS feel sorry for their family - much like Soo Chan's concern and heartbreak when Soo Ryeon refuses to listen to him; the same when Sung Bora went out to protest against her family's wishes in R88 (she's also a student joining the protest). I relate to the family's concern in R88 so much because which parent would want their child's future tainted. Protestors were blacklisted and their future ruined if they got caught. If the government hadn't changed then, Bora would have never been able to be able to practice law.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

I'm loving this show and am sad we're down to our last week. It's very well written and well shot - the production team has done a wonderful job recreating the moods and feels of that era through costume and set design. The actors too portray the roles and sentiments of that troubling time so well! It must have been horrible to live through that time. I wonder if any survivors watching the show have bad memories triggered in them... 12 episodes seem too short. I'm sure there's just so much more of that era and incident to explore. 

I want to believe Hee Tae and Myeonghee will have a happy beer after. I'm starting to think the remains were that of Sooryeon and the middle aged man at the start of the show was Soo Chan. But then what about the pocket watch? Or maybe the remains were of Hee Tae's father - maybe he somehow got the watch off Myeonghee's dad... I dunno. It would be far too tragic if the one who died was Myeonghee... in this climate, people don't want tragedies...

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Completed episode 10! It's not an easy watch. :pandachamp: I should give myself a pat on the back for this, lol.

I also think I should really look into the movie Taxi Driver, and then again, I don't want to because it's depressing. I've seen The Attorney without knowing the background back then and even though it was amazing; it was heavy.

On 6/2/2021 at 8:46 PM, abs-oluteM said:

But the question is now what has happened to Hee Tae.

I have a feeling the truck charging towards Hee Tae isn't the soldiers. The trucks don't look like army's tanks or trucks. I've a feeling it's the protestors. They captured Hee Tae thinking they could use him as leverage against his dad.

Hee Tae is such a lovely & sweet character. He's a world of patience even though every time Do Hyun yells their full names, "Kim Myung Hee/Lee Soo Ryeon" it comes across as a very stern tone (like an ahjussi yelling at kids - can't forget 18 Again, hahaha).

New stills

• Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
20 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Hee Tae is such a lovely & sweet character. He's a world of patience even though every time Do Hyun yells their full names, "Kim Myung Hee/Lee Soo Ryeon" it comes across as a very stern tone (like an ahjussi yelling at kids - can't forget 18 Again, hahaha).

Lee Do Hyun has a natural father mode doesn't he ? Like an old soul! 

Written preview

In the new stills ...I feel bad for Soo Chan. He is a nice person.

ahahah whoever did this edit was brilliant. The father needs to be punished

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, abs-oluteM said:

Lee Do Hyun has a natural father mode doesn't he ? Like an old soul! 

Or I just can't get over his ahjussi portrayal (it's embedded deep in the mind). I swear I've seen his other dramas before 18 Again and never thought he's ahjussi-like (he was so cute in 30 but 17)... but now every time he acts sternly, I'm seeing him like a father figure instead :laugh:

• Haha 2

Hi all! :love:

Never thought I'd be bingeing on this drama at this time, but I did. I am blown away by the superb chemistry between the two main leads, and the plot that encompasses a real historical event. OMG! The plot is so gripping, you just want to watch on and on and on. Then I realize it is only a 12-episode drama. What? Why? This is too good to end so quickly. Hope there'll be a season 2. I don't think 2 more episodes would be enough to wrap it up well. We'll see... And I want more of HT+MH (and their cute little brothers too). 

Actually, the brother and sister duo, Soo Chan and Soo Ryeon, are awesome as well. I can't help but wish these four would have formed two cute little couples, but fate never does make it easy for lovers, or indeed, for most. My heart aches for HT and MH, but also for SC as well.  

Also, I never knew a drama would bring me back into digging into history and what had happened. But I did for this drama. What happened in Gwangju Uprising was such a shame! Then again, that's not the sole shameful historical event in SK, nor the world. Politics, what a "game!" A downright dirty and deadly "game!"

Looking forward to the finale week and also to more projects from this writernim, and this superb cast/crew.

Written by Lee Kang
Directed by Song Min-yeob
Starring

CR: Wikipedia

I'll be sad to see this awesome drama end. I hope it will end well. A definite item for rewatching over and over again. :YesHalCat:

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Current Faves: Undercover & Mine & Bossam (Kdramas); The Handmaid's Tale (US Drama)l  

Watching: A Good Supper, Court Lady...  Waiting: Red Sky, Love (Season 2), Penthouse (Season 3)...