EzoBHOQUYAQBJgU?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Literal title: Youth of May

Hangul title: 오월의 청춘

Broadcast station: KBS2

Online streaming site: VIU

Director: Song Min Yeop

Writer: Lee Kang

Episodes: 12

Schedule: 3 May - 8 June, 2021 (Mon - Tue)

Other reference: Naver | NamuWiki | DC Gall | Naver TV |

Plot Summary

In May, 1980, during the turbulent times of the Gwangju Uprising, Hwang Hee-Tae (Lee Do-Hyun) and Kim Myung-Hee (Go Min-Si) fall in love. Their love seems destined by fate. Hee-Tae is a medical student, who entered medical school at the top his class. He seems like an easygoing person, but he also has an unyielding spirit and obstinacy. Myung-Hee has worked as a nurse for the past 3 years. She is a lovely person, who stands up against what is not fair. (source: AsianWiki)

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Additional Casts

Character Chart

E01SqwUVUAEQElo?format=jpg&name=large

source

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1

[News] 2020.12.21 Lee Do Hyun, Go Min Si, Lee Sang Yi, And Geum Sae Rok Confirmed For New Retro Romance Drama

65186c4c415544bfbf7813eeee7cc5ce.jpeg?s=

KBS 2TV’s upcoming drama “Youth of May” (literal translation) has confirmed its lead cast!

The series is set to highlight the passion that underlies the group of young adults living through May 1980, a historically significant time period in Korea. The drama is described as a retro romance drama and will star Lee Do Hyun, Go Min Si, Lee Sang Yi, and Geum Sae Rok.

Lee Do Hyun will star as Hwang Hee Tae, a medical student who strives to discredit all the stereotypes held against him. He can be somewhat mischievous, but it doesn’t take away from his determination and drive.

Go Min Si will be taking on the role of Kim Myung Hee, a third-year nurse. She is a warrior who has waged through life’s struggles to get to where she is, and she doesn’t lose faith in the direst of situations.

Geum Sae Rok will be joining the lead cast as law student Lee Soo Ryun, who is Kim Myung Hee’s best friend. She has an easygoing personality that seems ajar with her preppy appearance. Coming from a wealthy family, she feels responsibility to be a frontrunner in securing justice in societal issues.

Lee Sang Yi will be acting as Lee Soo Ryun’s older brother Lee Soo Chan. He is helping his father with the family business after returning from studying abroad in France.

“Youth of May” is written by Lee Gang, who previously wrote “Spy,” and directed by Song Min Yeob, who worked on “Doctor Prisoner.” The series is set to air in Spring 2021.

Source (1) via soompi

• Like 1

@mademoiselle every day I am checking for updates - maybe this is the drama I personally look forward to the most!

Article from the SCMP on upcoming dramas for 2021
Youth of May
Sweet Home stars Lee Do-hyun and Go Min-si are teaming up again for this KBS2 drama. While Lee and Go played brother and sister in the hit Netflix monster series, this time they will incarnate romantic partners.
Set against the backdrop of the Gwangju Uprising of May 1980, one of modern Korea’s darkest episodes, the series will focus on a medical student and nurse who begin to fall in love as the world falls apart around them.

• Haha 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

@abs-oluteM Your love is going strong :pandablush::pandaheadstomp:. Would Do Hyun be your next new face?? :MewGiggle:

Edit: The story of Gwangju Uprising had been touched on a bit in Reply 1988 and The Attorney (if not but also during that era). You can check out The Attorney, abs. It's heavy but I thought it was really good (and acting too).

So yes, it's probably gonna be a heavy one. But I think we'll take away learning more about the history of that era too, and perhaps because it's related to history, the Koreans might tune in more (and help with tv ratings). Hahaha, my motif is so wrong here. :P

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh yay . Counting down to this one . 
KBS already put this on their IG bio

Spoiler

According to this handle , in her interview with Elle , GMS says:  

It was set in 1980 in Gwangju. As the work focuses on the life of youth living in such a reality rather than the historical event itself, there is a point where you can feel the two's'melo chemistry'. There are times when the scene with Dohyun's skinship feels awkward, but I'm filming hard.

( oooo will there be lots of skinship ?!) 

More from the set 

Spoiler

Is this the official poster @mademoiselle? Or a fan edit ? 

• Haha 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

@abs-oluteM This one will be told through the students' POV so I think might dodge the bullet. It's dodging it now that's for sure. With what's happening for Snowdrop, I think KBS will be extra careful too.

I hope so. I am so scared now for all the dramas . JE somewhat set a precedence and Knets suddenly feel more empowered. Summore this one has actual historical setting. I don't want them to be picking on anything. I think the Go Min Si underage drinking blew over - so fingers crossed no other problems please. This is my most anticipated drama because of LDH. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, abs-oluteM said:

I hope so. I am so scared now for all the dramas . JE somewhat set a precedence and Knets suddenly feel more empowered. Summore this one has actual historical setting. I don't want them to be picking on anything. I think the Go Min Si underage drinking blew over - so fingers crossed no other problems please. This is my most anticipated drama because of LDH. 

Yeah I know what you mean. Since it is a period drama, let's hope there's no C-PPL in here too. I'm sure KBS cannot afford another loss after River's incidents. Go Min Si's scandal was probably overshadowed by JE and Snowdrop (along with other dramas being picked by Knet).

I already read another article (translated in C) that the production companies are looking into verifying everything is OK for sageuk. Fingers crossed, otherwise all the rest of the sageuk and period dramas will suffer.

JE losses were calculated to be at ~700k Won. I really hope this doesn't lead to anything bad.

• Shocked 1

Lee Do Hyun Exudes Retro Vibes In Upcoming KBS Drama

Ex32NQRVoAIy9ub?format=jpg&name=medium

Upcoming KBS 2TV drama “Youth of May” (literal translation) released the first set of stills of Lee Do Hyun!

“Youth of May” is about Hwang Hee Tae (Lee Do Hyun) and Kim Myung Hee (Go Min Si), who have a fateful meeting in the middle of the whirlwind of events that takes place in May 1980, a historically significant time period in South Korea.

Lee Do Hyun’s character, Hwang Hee Tae, is a medical student who has a sly and mischievous side but is determined and driven underneath. He entered Seoul National University College of Medicine at the top of his class, but he loves to play the guitar. He will break the stereotype that all medical students do is study by themselves.

In the newly released stills, Lee Do Hyun perfectly transforms into Hwang Tae Hee and shows both the playful nature and thoughtful characteristics of his new character. Hwang Tae Hee will undergo many changes due to an unexpected event in his life. It will be exciting to see his romance with Kim Myung Hee, a nurse three years into her career who has gone through all manner of hardships.

Ex32NQSVgAU2Dvs?format=jpg&name=medium

“Youth of May” will premiere in May 2021.

Source (1) via soompi

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Clapping Hands 1