The Imperial Coroner 御赐小仵作 [2021]

1 hour ago, NiteWalker said:

totally right? i love their soft chemistry in between the cast, i even overlook the sloopy hair of JingYu whenever he is not in the official garb lols

The cast is excellent for what the show is trying to achieve. I really like the people that Jinyu surrounds himself with -- all reasonable, competent supportive people. The female characters are nicely characterized. Jing Yi is Jing Yi. He does make me laugh with all his antics. Plus the bromance is really good here.

I really liked the part when Jinyu proposed. It was so sudden and I cracked up. He's such a great male lead. Clever, kind, responsible and immensely likeable. Absolutely my kind of guy. 

The script is top class and I think it's a better show than The Long Ballade. And I liked Long Ballade very much.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

10 minutes ago, NiteWalker said:

i know there is a part where JinYu's elder brother carry him up the staircase....i laugh whenever i see that lols....

Oh yes, Jinli is such a naggy old lady. It's hard to believe a military man can be so over-the-top in his concern for his brother. But he is prone to emotional outbursts more than anyone including Leng Yue, the other main female character.

It's a running joke. :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

10 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Oh yes, Jinli is such a naggy old lady. It's hard to believe a military man can be so over-the-top in his concern for his brother. But he is prone to emotional outbursts more than anyone including Leng Yue, the other main female character.

It's a running joke. :laugh:

i think this kinda balance out the character placing....

you have a naive one....well ChuChu is one when she isnt doing any autopsy in my view hahahah....

a smart one which is JinYu

the naggy old lady is JinLi hahahaha i cant believe it either with him being a general...i wonder does his soldier is in order because they are worried of being nag more than taking a physical punishment? :laugh:

JingYi and LengYue is a good combination though i have to watch more before i decided as i honestly dont like JingYi's hair in front of him whenever he is not in his official garb.....

LengYue i love her outlook as she look smart and i also like this series as they make the women alot smarter too 

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1
36 minutes ago, NiteWalker said:

JingYi and LengYue is a good combination though i have to watch more before i decided as i honestly dont like JingYi's hair in front of him whenever he is not in his official garb.....

LengYue i love her outlook as she look smart and i also like this series as they make the women alot smarter too 

For me it doesn't really matter if Leng Yue ends up with Jing Yi or Jinli. She bickers with both from time to time. But Jing Yi is the one who likes her and she kind of likes him too.

But yes, the women in this show are intelligent in their own right. None of them annoy me. Chu Chu is a great coroner but she's still naive about the ways of the wider world of national politics. But she's got her own smarts. She built her own chicken coop LOL and volunteered to grow veggies as well. At least she knows her limitations and can be quick-witted when the occasion calls.

I am really going to miss this show when it's done. More C dramas need to be 36 episodes or less.

• Insightful 1
  • Haha 2

i know right.....the pacing is just good.....and this is also one of the main reason im holding off abit in watching too fast.....i had drop so many drama lately that i felt like im dropping 'Rambutan'!!!

Heh. Speaking of which...I miss rambutans... we don't get a lot here. And when we do, it's very expensive.

Well, even the wait for new episodes is hard, I'm watching so many K dramas now that it almost doesn't matter. It's ridiculous but I'm not working much at the moment. When I'm not watching something new, I'm rewatching old episodes. 

So it's just you and me watching this here? How sad. Such a good show.

I see that it's getting a lot of recognition and praise now which is fantastic. 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

So it's just you and me watching this here? How sad. Such a good show.

I see that it's getting a lot of recognition and praise now which is fantastic. 

i believe @Tofu is also watching this one....she likes its too if i remember correctly though she is currently pretty taken up with a Kdrama or another drama if im not wrong....

or she is busy with reading the C-Novel for 'Forever and Ever' the one that is about to air if im not wrong lols

• Like 2
  • Party! 1

I checked out eps 1 ... the OTP is so darn cute. No idea who they are but love their interactions. I laughed hard when she mistook him as the test subject for her coroner's test . Also thought what a unique premise - kind of like CSI or something in olden times. 

• Haha 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

@40somethingahjumma @NiteWalker - I'm still watching this one!! I'm a bit slower because I opted to watch The Long Ballad with and without subs so that's created a backlog. Haha!

I agreed that this drama is a gem. I binged through the first 12 episodes, although I did FF some of the eunuch scenes especially when he was playing with having a mustache. So confused there. Haha!! 

3 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Okay let me check this out! Find subs first .

I think you would like this, @abs-oluteM. It has a nice story, great characters, and also the pacing is very well done too. 

The leads are finally promoting it, hahaha!!

• Clapping Hands 3
7 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I checked out eps 1 ... the OTP is so darn cute. No idea who they are but love their interactions. I laughed hard when she mistook him as the test subject for her coroner's test . Also thought what a unique premise - kind of like CSI or something in olden times. 

They are really adorable. Can't wait for you to get on further. Chu Chu is a hoot. Jinyu (or Prince An) is such a likeable male lead -- very little ego and just a warm, highly intelligent man who looks after his people really well. That scene you mentioned is fun but you should see some of the other re-enactments the two of them get up to. The romance is not the main thing but I think it's well-integrated into the bigger story.

There aren't any big names in this. The male lead is completely unknown to me as well which is why it didn't get a lot of promotion. This drama has become a bit of a sleeper hit for Tencent who did so little to promote this. It's captured attention purely for the quality of the script and storytelling. 

The premise of a CSI style detective show (as you've referred to it) has been attempted previously by other shows. There were a few good ones last year. When C dramaland does this sort of stuff well, it's usually pretty good. Unfortunately these shows except for Sleuth of the Ming Dynasty, don't seem to be marketed particularly well.

7 hours ago, Tofu said:

@40somethingahjumma @NiteWalker - I'm still watching this one!! I'm a bit slower because I opted to watch The Long Ballad with and without subs so that's created a backlog. Haha!

I agreed that this drama is a gem. I binged through the first 12 episodes, although I did FF some of the eunuch scenes especially when he was playing with having a mustache. So confused there. Haha!! 

I think it's just to show that he has designs on the throne. He sees himself at least to be equal in ability to the emperor except that (so he thinks) he hasn't got facial hair to prove his masculinity.

Glad that you're still watching. It only gets better.

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

@40somethingahjumma @Tofu @NiteWalker

I am really enjoying this one and  I am up to eps 6. Maybe because it is more like a procedural rather than heavily focused on palace politics that I find it easier to watch than say even The Long Ballad. 

I agree that JinYu is a ML that I warmed up to very easily. In fact I like Chu Chu too. Both characters don't have annoying hang ups and get the work done. The romance is understated but it is there. Chu Chu is already crushing hard and JinYu is impressed by her . Rushing in to save her in that fire says a lot. I also like his friend Jing . I think he and Jin Yu work very well together , and I love their friendship.

JinYu is really observant & intelligent. I appreciate his calmness but at the same time he thinks quickly. Chu Chu complements him and what he does. And she knows her stuff.  Being a coroner is not something most girls would chose to do in those times - but she was well-trained and  mentored by this "witch doctor" whom I am guessing could be Jin Yu's father who has gone missing. Or could the Handsome Judge that she keeps talking about be the father? Or are they one and the same ? Anyhow, it looks like Chu Chu herself also has a birth secret.

Let's see how many more episodes I can catch this week. I do love the pairing - so sweet & all those reenactments definitely provide convenient skinship :D 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

7 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

@40somethingahjumma @Tofu @NiteWalker

I am really enjoying this one

It's certainly getting a lot of those sorts of comments. This is definitely a word-of-mouth phenomenon. I'm glad it's working for you as I suspected it would since our tastes overlap in this genre. But there's no denying the quality of the writing and storytelling. The juggling act is pretty good. 6 more episodes to go.

It is not hard to see that Jinyu has taken a liking to her already by that point. Peeling grapes for like she's family. But I should add that the skin on the grapes is where most of the good stuff is. :P He's a nerd and he's fallen for another type of nerd. I loved the way he taught her how to bow like a maid using her knowledge of anatomy. He speaks her language, she kind of speaks his. She's happy to do crazy with him and that must warm his heart. Yet he remains objective about her connection to the pendant.

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

2 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

It is not hard to see that Jinyu has taken a liking to her already by that point. Peeling grapes for like she's family. But I should add that the skin on the grapes is where most of the good stuff is. :P He's a nerd and he's fallen for another type of nerd. I loved the way he taught her how to bow like a maid using her knowledge of anatomy. He speaks her language, she kind of speaks his. She's happy to do crazy with him and that must warm his heart. Yet he remains objective about her connection to the pendant.

hahaha...i know what you mean...i went to a treatment before that the physician even had me chewing the grape seeds too!

and told me to eat them whole and say i must find the one with seeds as the one without seeds does not help me at all

• Like 1

hahaha...i know what you mean...i went to a treatment before that the physician even had me chewing the grape seeds too!

and told me to eat them whole and say i must find the one with seeds as the one without seeds does not help me at all

The seeds are a great source of an anti-oxidants that include flavonoids. It might even be better than Vitamin C for immune health. I sometimes take a supplement.

But I haven't eaten grapes for a couple of years now because of fructose. I'm on a low sugar diet these days.

• Like 2

That is awesome @NiteWalker.

This is such a heavy week workwise - but I have been able to squeeze some episodes here & there. And I laughed so hard when she tried to make herself "pretty" in eps 9 , and he asked why she was trying to make herself look like a corpse! :lol:. Poor gal.  Leng Yue , the childhood friend of the boys are back - hopefully no unnecessary love  triangle , am guessing her love line is with Jing? 

But that eunuch - really cannot stand scenes of him and his obsession with growing a mustache.

• Haha 1
  • Awesome 1

Previews for Episodes 31-36

https://v.qq.com/x/cover/mzc002004zylyzl/r00369pco7z.html

I expect all the remaining episodes to get the big dump treatment tomorrow. Looks exciting. Am I going to binge watch them all in one sitting? Maybe.

The Imperial Coroner reaching the top fo the charts is deserved. There's justice in C dramaland sometimes. :D

1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

But that eunuch - really cannot stand scenes of him and his obsession with growing a mustache.

Heh. Yeah. He's very insecure about not having boy parts.

Shrewd character though. 

• Haha 2

@40somethingahjumma I watched till eps 12...so addictive.

So far things have been quite calm between the two but this eps was quite dramatic. Chu Chu birth's secret of being born in a coffin so to speak , and she's feeling betrayed thinking that JX was just interested in the pendant,  and not sincere in hiring her.  And oh my did he just vomit blood because Chu Chu did not trust him enough...this is usually a good sign of changes to their relationship. :MewGiggle:And we're also told that the Witch Doc is JX's father, or at least that is what JX thinks.

I don't watch that many historical c dramas but I think this is the 1st time that I see a ML who's not skilled in martial arts , and that he's actually poor in health. But what he lacks in physical skills, he makes it up with so much intelligence and wisdom. That is pretty sexy indeed. And I like how he treates Chu Chu and does not discriminate her because of her gender - giving her a chance for the job.

• Clapping Hands 2

15 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

@40somethingahjumma I watched till eps 12...so addictive.

It sure is. The good news is that it is that all the way to the end. I don't think there's a lot showing right now that's better than this.

In that scene that you mentioned, Chu Chu undoubtedly feeling insecure and Jinyu was upset that she didn't trust him. This was their way of signalling that they had fallen in love with each other but didn't have a clue. Heh.

There's another good one that features a male lead with no martial arts but has brilliant detective skills. It's called Ancient Detective. The cases are very complex and after the style of Agatha Christie. It's one  of the better C dramas from last year. It's a really clever show and flips a number of wuxia tropes. The FL is the one who is a skilled pugilist. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

On 5/17/2021 at 2:30 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

But yes, the women in this show are intelligent in their own right. None of them annoy me. Chu Chu is a great coroner but she's still naive about the ways of the wider world of national politics. But she's got her own smarts. She built her own chicken coop LOL and volunteered to grow veggies as well. At least she knows her limitations and can be quick-witted when the occasion calls.

Agreed. I was laughing my head off when I realised she was trying to produce her own food. Yeah she's such an ingenuous person and that trusting nature of hers may be misused. Fortunately, she's in very safe hands now that she vows to work for Jin Yu for life! I thought it so cute when she unabashedly admired him by listing out all his qualities in eps 13. He tried to keep a poker face but ahahaha...he was so pleased. Anyway even his brother was surprised he would be so upset when he thought Chu Chu didn't trust him. 

Talking about the women in this show, I like Leng Yue too - she's pretty kick-ass and smart. Poor Jing Yi is clearly in love with her but it looks like due to feuding family problems his parents are trying to marry her off to Jin Yu instead. 

Ahhh also more new names ...Duke Chang ...hmmm who could this be? Chu chu's father ? 

And one more thing - I found it somewhat gross that Chu chu's bro wanted to marry her even if they are not blood related. :shocked2:

• Clapping Hands 1