The Red Sleeve Cuff 옷소매 붉은 끝동 [2021-22]

Kwon Hyunbin with his costume in front of coffee trucks

Kwon Hyun Bin Thanks BTS’s Jin And Yoo Seung Ho For Warm Gift On Set Of His New Drama

BTS’s Jin and Yoo Seung Ho sent a thoughtful gift to their good friend Kwon Hyun Bin!

On September 25, Kwon Hyun Bin took to his Instagram to share photos with a coffee truck on the set of his upcoming historical drama “The Red Sleeve Cuff” (literal translation). The coffee truck was sent by Jin and Yoo Seung Ho. In a previous interview, he mentioned they were good friends. In the caption, he expressed his gratefulness to them, saying, “Thank you so much, hyungnims (a polite way of saying hyung).”

The banner at the top of the truck humorously reads, “Superstar Kim Seok Jin (Jin’s full name) and nation’s actor Yoo Seung Ho are cheering for the normal Kwon Hyun Bin.” For the side banner, they wrote, “Way to go, Jung Baek Ik (the name of Kwon Hyun Bin’s character)! Way to go, ‘The Red Sleeve Cuff’!”

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUO1ajglnZp/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=2b6909d2-83af-49cb-87e2-db6d2422722d

MBC’s “The Red Sleeve Cuff” (literal translation) is based on a novel of the same name and tells a love story between a court lady who wants to protect the life she has chosen, and an emperor, who puts his nation before love. The leads will be portrayed by 2PM’s Junho and Lee Se Young.

Kwon Hyun Bin will be portraying Jung Baek Ik, the adopted son of Princess Hwawan, who is played by Seo Hyo Rim. Jung Baek Ik is absolutely obedient to Princess Hwawan because she made him a grandchild of the king. However, internally, he has an inferiority complex about his low social status at birth and is thus incredibly ambitious for power.

“The Red Sleeve Cuff” will premiere in November.

LINK: https://www.soompi.com/article/1490119wpp/kwon-hyun-bin-thanks-btss-jin-and-yoo-seung-ho-for-warm-gift-on-set-of-his-new-drama

• Like 2

2PM’s Junho And Lee Se Young’s Upcoming Historical Drama Unveils Romantic Poster Full Of Longing

Sep 24, 2021 | by C. Hong

MBC’s upcoming drama “The Red Sleeve” has released a teaser poster!

Based on a popular novel, “The Red Sleeve” is a traditional historical drama that tells the record of an imperial court romance between a court lady who wanted to protect the life she had chosen and an emperor who put the nation first before love.

2PM’s Junho stars as Yi San, the direct descendant and eldest grandson of the king, who will later become King Jeongjo. Lee Se Young stars as Seong Deok Im, a court lady who wants to make her own decisions about life rather than be one of the king’s many women.

The poster captures both the closeness and the distance between these two characters, Yi San and Seong Deok Im, as they begin their court romance while hidden from the eyes of the world. Neither of the characters’ faces appear, and are instead symbolized by their sleeve cuffs, which represent their social positions: the royal navy robes of the eldest son of the crown prince and the red sleeve cuff of a court lady. Although their hands touch, they are not quite hand-in-hand, suggesting that the two are at odds with what they want in life versus what they love.

the-red-sleeve-cuff-junho-lee-se-young.j

“The Red Sleeve” premieres on November 5 and will be available on Viki.

LINK: https://www.soompi.com/article/1490059wpp/2pms-junho-and-lee-se-youngs-upcoming-historical-drama-unveils-romantic-poster-full-of-longing

• Heart Eyes 2

Introducing The Royal Family

aka the family of Lee San

Lee San's Grandfather:

King YeongJo

6e5ff21b6d800b1c321876f2f08711a740566e1c

Lee San's grandfather 2nd Queen

Queen Jeongsun,

ec42ed088497b4848f949d25da4d1746b273bc1e

Lee San's Mother

Lady Hyegyeong/Lady Hyebin

434c4a3392e0f4a991f71b5bd6d7d3184fd60c28

also...

Spoiler

Lee San's First Sister's and her Husband

Princess Cheongyeon married to Kim Doosung

75fd6c391785edb96aa191e8684b6332ee4b0e05&3a09101bf6b80aa9f407ac5a329429b2e60d8d57

Lee San's Second Sister and her husband

Princess Cheongseon married to jeong JaeHwa

a9364621d0527ba3b3a2fd3229d68ebc302991ef&40738a623fe8571ff06c22f174b89d18a26344db

Lee San's Aunt and her family

Princess Hwawan

f8fef8afa409a08b0257bd869b54319ce36583f6

her Adopted Son, Jeong BaekIk

ec2573137f60909b65768951ba348e2330dc6d68

I do Hope there would be better translation of character description sometime soon...

Link Here: http://program.imbc.com/Cast/redsleeve

Edited by czakhareina
  • Thanks 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

The Court Ladies

(Sung DeokIm's People)

Head Court Lady

Court Lady Jo

536753eafd5867475488ca19d47f5ec5fadc7255

Mother-figure for Seng Deok-Im

Court Lady Seo

ae861125a6f3c56d9cf96f6f68c57005545e6927

Court Lady Park

Younghee's Master

cda789f5dc45f51ebd5403b32345baf8de56b18a

Spoiler

Kang Wolhee

Lady-in-waiting at the Crown Prince Palace

Senior of Sung DeokIm

b8df974ccffad5a9748fba4596fd2e1328af5a59

Kim Beokyeon

Assigned at the washing & bathing department

Sung DeokIm's Friend 

1da6a868232ed9e85097bb00015a62a16bc47c5f

Son Yonghee

Assigned at the laundry department

26e8d216ff20764dd5a85d907fd951b2fe13eb9e

Bae Baekhee

Assigned at the sewing department

2f11e7bd60914c65ebb4b2bce12492cc46ade550

• Clapping Hands 2

I guess the thing about romances is that whether it's romantic or not depends on what details are left in and left out as well as when they actually finish telling the story.

Yi San was married at a young age to his wife who became his Queen Consort when she took the throne. So, Seong Deok Im could only be a concubine. Given that the Joseon kings had multiple concubines in addition to their queens, it wouldn't have been a romantic match as we envision it in this day and age, as in having no one else in one's life as a romantic partner other than the one.

I'm also afraid of what the ending point of this drama is. Since it's based on established historical figures, we know that Seong Deok Im becomes a Royal Consort. She gave birth to a son who was the Crown Prince who died as a young child, then gave birth to a daughter who died as an infant, then finally died giving birth to a third child.

So, a happy ending would end with Seong Deok Im becoming the Royal Consort and being happy and in love with Yi San. A sad ending would show that her dying and leaving Yi San to grieve for her.

Anyway, Junho does look good in Joseon garb. I just hope that this production doesn't fictionalize too much so that the knetz won't be up in arms about besmirching Korean historical figures.

• Insightful 3
On 9/29/2021 at 6:27 AM, stroppyse said:

I guess the thing about romances is that whether it's romantic or not depends on what details are left in and left out as well as when they actually finish telling the story.

--- edited---

I just hope that this production doesn't fictionalize too much so that the knetz won't be up in arms about besmirching Korean historical figures.

Reading much on what little I can find on the translation of this novel, I think this will focus more on the romance. The translation kinda suggest that the writer did some thorough research but I think it focuses most on SDI which I think has yielded some information about how much King Jeongjo truly loved her. 

There would most likely be overdrawn romanticizing of their story, since the material is based on the novel....

sooo, for knetz to be up in arms, I don't know how that will go.
So far the novel seems to be well liked. They even plan to serialize it into a webtoon...

but then with Knetz you can never know what will be the trigger.

--edited--

Yi San was married at a young age to his wife who became his Queen Consort when she took the throne. So, Seong Deok Im could only be a concubine. Given that the Joseon kings had multiple concubines in addition to their queens, it wouldn't have been a romantic match as we envision it in this day and age, as in having no one else in one's life as a romantic partner other than the one.

I'm also afraid of what the ending point of this drama is. Since it's based on established historical figures, we know that Seong Deok Im becomes a Royal Consort. She gave birth to a son who was the Crown Prince who died as a young child, then gave birth to a daughter who died as an infant, then finally died giving birth to a third child.

--edited--

It is weird about Lee San's wife. by the time they meet, she should probably be present. but with character description, they totally dont have anyone for that role...

I mean from watching Yisan, she seems to be such a good queen. and as much as I don't like harem stories (it just is cruel and bloody); i think she was one of the better and kinder queen in history of harems...

...or could this probable  'omission' be the trigger for audience...?

Anyway, Junho does look good in Joseon garb.

He looks good as a crown prince. he pulled off the serious, lofty and untouchable air of what Lee San feels like based on what I though he would be, given his history and the political atmosphere at that time.

I wished he still had his long hair, but I guess it would not be vibing with 2PM promotions and visuals as mature urban hot men aura... 

For other news:

#TheRedSleeveCuff first teaser tomorrow TODAY (wed- sep 29) at 8:40am KST on V LIVE app

"The Beginning Of The Sorrowful Court Romance"

https://vlive.tv/video/264300

FAYW2gbUUBAQGpf?format=jpg&name=medium

Spoiler

and that title of the teaser probably answers your comment on: 

I'm also afraid of what the ending point of this drama is. 

Edited by czakhareina
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 2

@ktcjdramaReading the explanation from Naver here about the 1st teaser does break my heart a little.  But I am often drawn to  this sort of heart wrenching romance :hug:

Red end of the sleeves (Photo=MBC)

Maybe @stroppyseif you have time , could you translate the teaser that @czakhareinaposted above?

This is somewhat auto translated:

On the other hand, the narration of Lee Se-young and Lee Jun-ho flowing over this figure catches the ears. Se-young Lee said, “All of the seven hundred court ladies who lived in the palace were women of the king,” expressing the heartbreaking lives of court ladies who have to live their destiny while serving only one king for the rest of their lives. However, the narration of Lee Jun-ho, “The end of the sleeves dyed with that sign was a very dull red,” hints at the beauty of court ladies who do not lose their subjectivity even in their destined fates, and at the same time reveals the heart of a man who is fascinated by that beauty, leaving a lasting impression. Accordingly, interest in the story of the court lady Seong Deok-im (Lee Se-young) and the romance between Jeongjo Lee San (Lee Jun-ho), who loved her , is heightened by the story of 'Red Sleeves'.

https://tenasia.hankyung.com/drama/article/2021092940394

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

22 hours ago, czakhareina said:

It is weird about Lee San's wife. by the time they meet, she should probably be present. but with character description, they totally dont have anyone for that role...

I mean from watching Yisan, she seems to be such a good queen. and as much as I don't like harem stories (it just is cruel and bloody); i think she was one of the better and kinder queen in history of harems...

It may be that they chose not to bring the queen as a character so that they could focus on the OTP romance more. It's not as if Koreans aren't aware of their kings having had basically a harem at their disposal, but it's not really discussed that much. And, it definitely goes against the popular notion of romantic love and marriage. Plus, in dramas which are royal romances where they try to adhere somewhat to history, either the queen/princess or the concubine(s) are cast as scheming and evil. I think that may be to give whoever is the actual OTP of the drama more sympathetic? It would be kind of a relief not to have that kind of tension since I'm sure political intrigue will be a part of this drama anyway.

I think a facet of the royal concubine thing is that it allows the king's alliances with other women to be acceptable, plus there is the question regarding the royal bloodline. They are increasing the likelihood of the king having progeny.

The title on the teaser seems to confirm my fears that this will have a lot of tears, with possibly a sad ending.

@abs-oluteM, the teaser translation you posted was fairly accurate. LSY talks about how all 700 women in the palace were the king's women only, while JH muses at the muted red of their sleeves.

• Thanks 1
  • Insightful 2

Lee Se Young Gives A Glimpse Of A Court Lady’s Life In Upcoming Historical Drama Starring 2PM’s Junho

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Sep 29, 2021 | by L. Kim

2PM’s Junho and Lee Se Young’s upcoming MBC drama “The Red Sleeve” has released a new teaser!

Based on a popular novel, “The Red Sleeve” is a traditional historical drama that tells the record of an imperial court romance between a court lady who wanted to protect the life she had chosen and an emperor who put the nation first before love.

Junho stars as Yi San, the direct descendant and eldest grandson of the king, who will later become King Jeongjo. Lee Se Young stars as Seong Deok Im, a court lady who wants to make her own decisions about life rather than be one of the king’s many women.

The vibrant teaser starts off by showing the objects that court ladies use at the palace. Seong Deok Im settles down in front of a court lady’s signature dress with red sleeves and begins to neatly fold it. Her voiceover narrates, “All 700 court ladies living in the palace were the king’s women,” hinting the painful lives of court ladies who can do nothing but serve the king for the rest of their lives.

On the other hand, Yisan declares, “The tips of the sleeves dyed with that mark were a very coy red.” His narration alludes to the beauty of court ladies who do not lose their subjectivity even in the face of their destiny. At the same time, it shows that he is fascinated with their beauty.

Watch the teaser below!

LINK: https://www.soompi.com/article/1490915wpp/watch-lee-se-young-gives-a-glimpse-of-a-court-ladys-life-in-upcoming-historical-drama-starring-2pms-junho

@stroppyse

After watching a slew of Chinese harem dramas, it totally opened me to the notion that Women were usually part of the commodity and bargaining chip for men. In addition to how women grow, develop and survive such ruthless, almost hunger-games/squid game/battle royale environment. Usually Korean dramas are much milder in their portrayal of that side of history. 

Anyway I just hope its not gonna be the usual point of 'contention' and 'history distortion from Knetz, the probable omission of Lee San's wife and queen.

definitely feel so much melo and tears from this teaser. and like @ktcjdrama I am ready... come on!!!

and here is another translation I saw:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, czakhareina said:

In addition to how women grow, develop and survive such ruthless, almost hunger-games/squid game/battle royale environment.

I actually do have some sympathy for women of bygone times who had to live through such harsh environments. They were pawns and had to be cunning in order to survive and to try to ensure that their children survived. A lot of these dramas and movies make it about wanting power, but when power equals survival, it's not the same equation. Being in favor may mean a privileged life versus one of servitude or death, not just for oneself but also one's family, not to mention progeny.

2 hours ago, czakhareina said:

I am ready... come on!!!

I don't know if I'm ready...

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

Indeed pretty... And I like that it is in color. I can't read hangul though, but I read till chapter 3 then they required me to log into kakao account. 

me too. I rely on google translate, and read the comments...
some of the readers are also the fan of the novel.... and I thought this drama will have painful moments, but will still end quite bittersweet... But I think my expectations are wrong... I think we really are in for much tears...

this fan also is like us, 

curious and and anticipating the ending... but also bracing to a very sad ending...

and I think, I will retract from earlier statement, and just copy-paste @stroppyse post:

On 9/30/2021 at 10:03 AM, stroppyse said:

I don't know if I'm ready...

• Haha 2

5 Rising male actors in their 20s-30s who are ready to comeback to acting after completing their military service

1633121939-0000791956-001-20211001080029

Five rising male actors in their 20s-30s are expected to come back to the screen after discharge from military service. They are 2PM's Lee Junho, EXO's DO Kyungsoo, HIGHLIGHT's Yoon Doo Joon, Park Hyung Sik, and Lee Jong Suk.

Lee Junho has been active with 2PM's full group activities, and various variety shows since he was discharged from military service in March 2021. He will lead MBC's new historical fantasy drama series 'The Red Sleeve Cuff.' The drama will premiere on November 5.

Junho plays a perfectionist crown prince, Lee San, also known as Yi San, later becoming King Jeongjo of Joseon. Junho is ready to captive the viewer's heart by his charismatic monarch and acting skill. He is well-known as a talented actor who appeared in several dramas such as KBS2's Chief Kim and tvN's Confession.

LINK: https://www.allkpop.com/article/2021/10/5-rising-male-actors-in-their-20s-30s-who-are-ready-to-comeback-to-acting-after-completing-their-military-service

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1