Press Con

Sang Yi, Park Sung Woong, and director Kim Joo Hwan attended the press conference and had time to talk about the work.

During the Q&A, director Kim Joo Hwan was asked what he thought about the amount of appearances of Kim Sae Ron. Kim Sae Ron had previously caused controversy because of a drunk driving accident, and it was later determined that because the series had already largely been filmed, she would remain in the show. The director responded saying, “I really worried about how to answer this question,” and, “I really tried hard to minimize the inconvenience.

He continued, "We had so many people spend thousands and tens of thousands of hours to complete the work. I did my best to improve the completeness [of the story] while minimizing [the parts] under the mindset that if I didn't want to hurt it, I shouldn't break it.

Meanwhile, 'Bloodhounds' is a series depicting the story of two young men who are caught up in the world of loan sharks, where money takes precedence over people's lives, risking their lives against a huge force of evil. It will be released worldwide through Netflix on June 9.

source: AllKPOP

• Like 1
  • Party! 1

Totally forgot the drama is released today! Good timing too because I watched the finale of The Good Bad Mother early and ran out of things to watch before bed!

@abs-oluteM @Tofu First episode is engaging straight away! And Tofu, Kim Sae Ron's scene is still intact. The PD nim did mention in the press con that he omitted as much as he could, but her role is still pretty important and linked to the main leads so can't cut everything out.

And @Tofu, I ♥ Woo Do Hwan's character immediately. I'm just not sure whether he'll become jaded after episode 1 due to the debt circumstances.

Calling @Chocolate ~ Park Hoon has a part in this too. I'm just not sure how much screen time he has.

SNEAK PEEK

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

I'm really surprised about the drama. From the get-go I actually open this thread because the news reported the main leads were going to be my Oppa Lee Do Hyun and I do like Kwak Do Yeon too. Who knows both turned it down and the roles went to Woo Do Hwan (still Oppa, 😝) and Lee Sang Yi. Interest wasn't very high since I didn't think the sypnosis/premise was attractive, but I was so wrong. I couldn't tear away from the screen and was so engaged the whole time, so I ended up binging five episodes in one sitting!

I love Woo Do Hwan's role as Gun Woo. He has the purest heart. Lee Sang Yi's character is very chatty and not my cuppa but he's also got a good heart, and funnily the combination of both him and Gun Woo make a really interesting pairing. The dynamics between the three leads (Do Hwan, Sang Yi and Sae Ron) are really fun to watch. The more seasoned supporting actors were also very awesome in there. There are actually a decent amount of Kim Sae Ron in the drama too. I hope Netizens or media aren't going to give this drama a difficult time tomorrow after watching it. I think overall, thus far, everyone's acting is really good. Nice editing etc and right amount of adrenaline rush and thrills.

@SilverMoonTea I've seen 5 episodes. I can now guarantee you this is not a sports drama. It's just a lot of fighting scenes for the boys and just happens that because they are boxers so they are good at fighting. 

@Chocolate I remember you said you liked actions. This has good amount of fight scenes with good storyline. I quite enjoy the battle of wit between the current loan shark vs former loan shark (aka mentee vs mentor). I literally am forcing myself to go to bed so I can prolong watching this drama! Just FYI in advance, I'm sure you will criticise the use of fists rather than weapons, and I agree with you. The difference in this is the main leads are not the same as Jang Do Ki because they tried not to hurt people that way. However, there are multiple times I'm gritting my teeth and having evil thoughts wishing they would not be so righteous and fight fair because the villains never do. Unlike Taxi Driver, I actually take pleasure in seeing these boys fight with their fists. There was more sense of satisfaction they won with their boxing skills... if you know what I mean.

@Tofu @stroppyse @abs-oluteM @ktcjdrama @40somethingahjumma Just letting you guys know this drama is 👍🏻.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 1

I am done with the whole drama, and wish you all are here with me in discussion rather than me talking to myself. A part of me is glad that the pandemic is over so we go back to our normal life; another part of me is sad because JH became so quiet now. 😅🥲

I don't want to spoil the fun for all, but just in case and a heads up, episode 6 is difficult to watch. I soldier it through without skipping because I think the story and characters deserve my full attention.

Don't enter (SPOILER):

Spoiler

5 episodes in I became invested in the bond that was forged between CEO Choi, Gun Woo, Woo Jin, Hyun Joo, Hwang Yang Jung and Lee Do Yeong. I knew their plans had flaws, so I was really worried and scared something will happen to them, especially CEO Choi. There were already signs and hints. I was wishing hard, but the inevitable came in episode 6. They all put up a fight which makes it even harder to watch and my heart felt like it was going to explode due to nerves. I soldier through watching Kim Myung Gil and his men eliminate Lee Do Yeong, his wife, Hwang Yang Jung and CEO Choi. I screamed when Kang In Beom raised CEO Choi in the air and broke his spine the same way Bane did to Bruce Wayne in The Dark Knight Rises! I felt their pain. I cried and cringed because there is no way CEO Choi would survive this, Kim Myung Gil put a knife in and ended his life. This episode was especially brutal.

Woo Jin suffered 3 stabbing wounds and nearly lost his life defending the fort. Hyun Joo left the country after this incident, which I think was deliberately done so to exit Kim Sae Ron due to her DUI scandal. I'm not sure whether this was intentional in the script because I had thought they have completed the filming before the DUI incident.

The latter episodes felt a bit off for me—like the story lost its wit and soul since CEO Choi was the brain and understood how Kim Myung Gil works because he was the one who taught him. After his death, things just felt different. I just don't think Gun Woo and Woo Jin were able to take down Kim Myung Gil themselves, even though they seek help from Hong Min Beom (Choi Siwon) and Min Gang Yong afterwards.

I did enjoy the twist to the drinking trick Min Beom and Gang Yong used. Gun Woo, who doesn't/never drink, outdrink all of them. The show never explains why he was so tolerant of alcohol, or that he may have been a good drinker in the past and just chose not to drink. The boys do have some luck on their side from the get-go because they first met CEO Choi and then now Hong Min Beom. A lot of times, it seems to be due to Gun Woo's sincerity which helps them get to where they are.

The ending bit with the gold, I swear there was supposed to be more gold than just those laid out on the table. And I was worried they would be conned by Hong Min Beom.

There are a lot of fighting/action scenes which are enjoyable. I always thought characters in the show fighting bad guys without weapon and with their fists are stupid. Honour or pride mean nothing when the villains don't fight fairly. However, this time and most of the time my satisfaction did come from seeing Gun Woo and Woo Jin fight with their fists, especially Gun Woo since he's written to throw heavy punches. It was soooo good seeing him punch the hell out of Kang In Beom. Suddenly I wanted to see him fight Kim Woo Bin's character in Black Knight. Hahaha! That said, they did use weapons too so it's not always with fists.

Overall I find this a very enjoyable watch because of the thrills. It keeps you hooked and worried for the good guys through the end. Excellent performance from all of the casts too. I thought Siwon was cameoing but he plays a crucial part of the story. The real cameo is another actor which I shall not mention! For once, Siwon isn't playing a comedic role. I also think Lee Sang Yi did well with taking up a different kind of role I've never seen him in. Heo Jun Ho had my heart playing Haraboji CEO Choi. He's got a face of a villain and has played villains a lot of times so for a change, his transformation was convincing playing an ex-loan shark who turns a new leaf and genuinely cares and loves Hyun Joo like his own was a great watch for me.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 1
8 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I am done with the whole drama, and wish you all are here with me in discussion rather than me talking to myself.

If I didn't promise my nephews they could sleep over at my house yesterday, I would have binged this after work!

I finished the first episode and I liked it. After seeing Woo Do Hwan and Lee Sang Yi, I am really thankful that Lee Do Hyun and Kwak Dong Yeon did not accept the casting offer. 

After watching I Live Alone, I'm pretty sure it was Woo Do Hwan in these scenes and not Gun Woo. Haha! :laugh:

BH-01.gif
BH-02.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

I binged this series yesterday and do not regret it one bit. This was Woo Do Hwan's first project after his military service even though Joseon Attorney aired first. I think Woo Do Hwan's acting improved and I can't wait to see more of his work!

As I mentioned in our chat @mademoiselle, episode six was brutal. I don't think I properly processed through any scenes because they simultaneously came up one after another. It's was basically like --- boom, boom, boom, end of episode. When I think back to this episode, I still have goosebumps. :letalQQ:

I think the drama lost it's heart after episode six. The last two episodes felt a bit disjointed from the rest. Although, I think the reason why we feel this gap is because Kim Sae Ron's character does not return. If Kim Sae Ron didn't get into a scandal during filming, I don't think we would be feeling this way. Her character would still be in episode 7 & 8, which would have helped bridge that gap. 

The cameo at the end.....hahaha! That voice is easily recognizable. :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Behind the Scenes

Lee Sang Yi:

1 hour ago, Tofu said:

The cameo at the end.....hahaha! That voice is easily recognizable. 

I know right! Hahahaha~ the cameo was a bit lacklustre. :laugh: But his character makes me nervous because he's not on the good side. I was thinking this the whole time watching episode 8: "Why is it taking so long for them to take Kim Myung Gil down, we don't have much time left! It's the last episode!" and proceed to check the time left in the drama - 30 more minutes. Can the show finished satisfactorily in 30 mins?!!!

1 hour ago, Tofu said:

I think the drama lost it's heart after episode six. The last two episodes felt a bit disjointed from the rest. Although, I think the reason why we feel this gap is because Kim Sae Ron's character does not return. If Kim Sae Ron didn't get into a scandal during filming, I don't think we would be feeling this way. Her character would still be in episode 7 & 8, which would have helped bridge that gap. 

True, although I'm not sure her presence would close the gap entirely with the loss of CEO Choi, but it would be more fulfilling if she was part of it with Gun Woo and Woo Jin all the way. And even if she didn't participate, to completely close off the story, the drama should show her face at the end. It's a pity. I thought her short-haired new look was pretty cool.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 4

Thanks for the shout out @mademoiselle. I'm on episode 4 of this drama right now, but I'm having a hard time watching because of the level of violence in it, though I realize that it's necessary for the story.

I was also surprised by Kim Sae Ron being on the drama since I thought she was taken off the drama because of a scandal? Also, she didn't get a cast credit in the intro.

I do rather love the bromance between GW and WJ. GW is the pure heart and WJ is the streetwise hustler, and they seem to complement each other so well.

Read the thread and noticed that KSR's character disappears after the 6th episode?

Also, is there a second part planned for this drama?

• Like 3
  • Star Struck 1
26 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Also, is there a second part planned for this drama?

For once, this is not one of those dramas with a second part. Hahaha! It will end in episode 8. =)

27 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

KSR's character disappears after the 6th episode?

She will. Her scandal happened during the middle of filming so they cut her out after that episode. 

2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

His expression after Woo Jin called him "Son

This is cute and funny at the same time. I feel like Gun Woo is shocked and confused to hear the swear words. I can't imagined him using any regularly. :laugh:

4 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I thought her short-haired new look was pretty cool.

Same! I LOLed when LDY pointed out that they both like motorcycles and even have the same hairstyle. Haha! 

I think if she continued to stay, the gap wouldn't feel that large. After everything happened in episode 6, the connection to President Choi and the reason why this started weakened. I really wanted to see him beat KMY! :cry:

• Like 4

Oh yay! So glad you're watching @stroppyse. And thanks for the description on Woo Jin in one short sentence. I was short of vocab on how to describe him. No S2 like @Tofu confirmed.

4 hours ago, Tofu said:

This is cute and funny at the same time. I feel like Gun Woo is shocked and confused to hear the swear words. I can't imagined him using any regularly.

Hahaha he had that the "why are you swearing at me" look and even pouted a little as if saying "Hmph, that's not very nice thing to say". :lmao2: I don't think Gun Woo ever swears. He's even polite to that Yang guy pretending to be a homeless man. I cracked up when Woo Jin pulled Gun Woo aside and tells him to toughen up. Luckily he did that because I wouldn't have noticed he was using Jondaemal.

4 hours ago, Tofu said:

Same! I LOLed when LDY pointed out that they both like motorcycles and even have the same hairstyle. Haha! 

Hahaha yes, their hairstyle were so similar and had a good chuckle.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 4

I binged 5 episodes on my flight home and wasn't disappointed. I love these sort of action dramas that remind me of those old gangster type HK films. Ultimately the fight was between Haraboji Choi and Kim Myeong Gil, who betrayed him in the past. I always like watching Heo Jun Ho and Park Sun Woong as they are such versatile senior actors who can play good and villain characters very convincingly. I also like haroboji's left and right hand knifers - they had some big power house casting here in this show.

Like all of you, I warmed up immediately to Gun Woo and Woo Jin. Both so different in personalities but I liked how quickly they bonded. Since I am only up to eps 5, I pray they don't betray each other as that would annoy me. The boxing and action scenes all look legit, and I believe WDH and LSY both trained hard for these roles. Really pity about Kim Sae Ron. I thought the trio had such a good camaraderie going on there , so I am a little disappointed they had to remove her scenes. I hope KSR can get her act together , and get the help she needs. I have a soft spot for her and was happy seeing her growth. 

And my dearest oppa SiWon - I am always intrigued at the drama choices he makes. But I have no issues with him choosing all sorts of roles. Here he plays a smug chaebol heir brought to his knees by KMG. Such a 180 from his last two characters in Work Later Drink Now and Love is For Suckers. 

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

13 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Really pity about Kim Sae Ron. I thought the trio had such a good camaraderie going on there , so I am a little disappointed they had to remove her scenes.

I agree. I'm not up on the scandal regarding KSR, but in terms of this drama, it's actually good as the trio, and I think it's going to lose something when KSR's character gets cut. The reason president Choi started all this was for the sake of his granddaughter, and he hired GW and WJ to protect her.

13 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

And my dearest oppa SiWon - I am always intrigued at the drama choices he makes. But I have no issues with him choosing all sorts of roles.

I was surprised to see him in this drama, but think it's a good choice for him because it is very different from his leading man roles. I think that CSW is improving as an actor, but he could still learn a lot from the veterans like HJH and PSW.

To be honest, I actually think that CSW's more memorable characters are when he's a supporting character ('When She Was Pretty' and 'King of Dramas' anyone?).

• Like 4
11 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I was surprised to see him in this drama, but think it's a good choice for him because it is very different from his leading man roles. I think that CSW is improving as an actor, but he could still learn a lot from the veterans like HJH and PSW.

To be honest, I actually think that CSW's more memorable characters are when he's a supporting character ('When She Was Pretty' and 'King of Dramas' anyone?).

I love him most in Work Later Drink More - the girls were the main cast but he was the ML there. He played a gruffy production director with a heart of gold. He has more to go in terms of acting skills but I do think he's been improving too.

----------------

Am all done with the show. Eps 6 was indeed the hardest episode for me to watch. I was so sad when they killed off CEO Choi and his two knifers.  But I do think that was important to raise the stakes and give a strong reason for GW and WJ to take things right to the end. I was glad it was these two boys who took Kim MG and his men down, albeit with a little help from Siwon's character and his cop cousin. ( I have to say I learned a new thing about swallowing copious amounts of salt to make yourself vomit. ).  I love that both GW and WJ were truly good guys who had such a strong sense of loyalty and integrity. They weren't greedy either - and their bond and trust in each other warmed my heart.

This show is recommended ...as long as you don't mind the violence. 

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

On 6/12/2023 at 4:36 PM, stroppyse said:

That's what I thought about him until I saw the Japanese version and the actor for CSW's character was more engaging and cuter. Now, I can't think of any memorable characters he's played. :psweatduck:

15 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

...as long as you don't mind the violence. 

I think episode six was probably the most heavy in this. If someone is not a fan of violence, they should watch episode six in 1.5 speed. LOL!

15 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

More bromance you might enjoy

They are so cute! LOL @ WDH guessing comic books right away. :lmao2:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

@mademoiselle I am surprised by how much promo content this show is getting. I wish Disney Plus would do the same with some of their shows . 

On 6/14/2023 at 9:29 AM, Tofu said:

I think episode six was probably the most heavy in this. If someone is not a fan of violence, they should watch episode six in 1.5 speed. LOL!

True . I think what got me was the scene where they killed CEO Choi’s knifers. Especially the scene where he told his pregnant wife to call the cops & she was sobbing behind the door . 😭

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

@abs-oluteM Oh yes, very true about Disney+! Even the non-Disney+ one they don't update anything or they block.

46 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

Especially the scene where he told his pregnant wife to call the cops & she was sobbing behind the door . 😭

Aish this one... I think I was internally yelling, "Noooo, don't trust him" and they never showed it so I assume they are both dead.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
On 6/15/2023 at 12:16 AM, abs-oluteM said:

True . I think what got me was the scene where they killed CEO Choi’s knifers. Especially the scene where he told his pregnant wife to call the cops & she was sobbing behind the door . 😭

I had to ff through episode 6. :cry:  It was pretty gut wrenching when CEO Choi and his knifers died. Even though as men of violence, they said they weren't afraid of dying and what not, it was still so sad. Especially, the married knifer. And, I mean, all three of them had put their violent past behind them (mostly) and were doing honest work and making lives for themselves until they decided they had to bring KMG down.

I also thought that episode 7 and 8 would have been stronger if HJ had stayed and the trio would have taken them down. Director Lee's granddaughter was not actually that interesting an addition to the group. I know that RL interfered with the original plotting, and I'm not condoning whatever KSR did (though not sure what she did or whether I care about it), but for the sake of the story, I wish the scandal would have broken after the drama had finished filming.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1