photo1603797.jpg

Content Writing Yonhap News Reporter Yoo Joo Ha

6e999c03-0716-4a50-bfd1-f2f407591a45.jpg

provided by KBS.

South Korean drama series “Curtain Call” which provided audience with heartwarming story came to an end with 5 percent viewing rate.

According to the data provided by Nielson Television Audience Measurement service on Wednesday, the last episode of “Curtain Call” which aired on December 27 at 9:50 p.m. scored 5.7 percent viewing rate.

Throughout the last episode, terminally ill character Ja Geum Soon acted by actress Go Doo Shim wakes up from a long coma.

Ja Geum Soon who left her husband and her son during the evacuation during Korean War, gives a farewell to her grandson Ri Moon Sung acted by Steven Noh Sang Hyun left long lasting impression to audiences.

In order to grant Ja Geum Soon’s dying wish to see her grandson for one last time, actor who was hired to grant her wish Yoo Jae Heon, acted by Kang Ha Neul, prepared a play “Curtain Call” using his money.

Ja Geum Soon looks back at her life and a tear falls down her face, later one she rebuts her decision to sell out the hotel and decides to evenly distribute her wealth to her grandchildren.

The drama “Curtain Call” showcases a story without an antagonist therefore some critics addressed “The series is like a well cooked and prepared meal.”

Actress Go Doo Shim perfectly showcases Ja Geum Soon who has endured such harsh life and at the same time provides audience with a time to think about what family really means.

Ha Ji Won who acts out the role of Park Se Yeon who tries to fight against her older brother in order to protect grandmother's legacy, which is the hotel, and actor Kang Ha Neul showcased amazing acting skills allowing audiences to engage with the series more personally.

However the series does not have anything to intensify the atmosphere until the cover of Yoo Jae Heon therefore some of the critics pointed out the dragging nature of the series.

• Like 3

CurrentlyLiesGrden•CYouIn19thLif•Battle4HappinssWaitingRvenant•Heartb•NumbersFinishedBingeWatchingRace•B.Knight•GloryIIDaily•2D1NS4•RunMan

• 2 weeks later...

@goemul @ktcjdrama @abs-oluteM @twink_twink_

From what you all have written, nothing much developed since I last stopped at the half way point. I watched the last epsiode and I think that is the right thing to do 😂.

But, although I missed like half the drama, 5 minutes in and I'm bawling.

• Grandma wakes up and insists on going home. She meets RMS first who apologised for saying cruel things earlier. He cries but there is no grand gesture from grandma which is quite surprising since he is the long-lost one - maybe I missed something in the earlier episodes.
  • Grandma then meets SJ & SY and tells them she loves them. SG is not there because he is busy practicing for the drama lol.
  • Then they all go to watch the drama. It's actually about how Jung Sang-Cheol hired Yoo Jae-Heon to act as the grandson. SG acted as JSC haha.
  • The next scene is the reading of the will. They didn't show grandma passing which is good. She left 10% to JSC and Yoon Jung-Sook (the housekeeper). The rest is divided equally between the 4 grandchildren. It was a fair will.
  • But for RMS, his share will be held in trust by JSC until RMS lives in South Korea proper. Both of them can't do anything with the shares meantime so it means it cannot be sold.
  • Thus, the hotel cannot be sold.
  • SJ accepts it and is now going to Switzerland for holiday with the wifey.
  • Dong Je and SY's wedding invitation card is printed. SY has no intention of marrying him. But DJ tears up the invitation before she can even reject him. He apologises to her for the way his family treated her previously (seems they looked down on her) which caused them to breakup earlier? Anyway, this relationship is really strange.
  • Yoon Hee flies off - to study?
  • SG is now part of the drama troupe - as director? He buys them the building they use.
  • JH goes to look for SY and asks her who is he to her. She says "Jae Heon". He invites her to dinner, at a restaurant he frequents and she enjoys herself. So the drama doesn't show them becoming a couple which is good. Also because he is still calling her "noona"? You want to court her and yet call her sister, sigh...
  • JSC brings RMS back to the detective guy who found him, and asks him to send RMS back to China. RMS agrees. Anyone knows why? Seems RMS is supposed to settle some things in China and come to South Korea "properly". I don't know what this means.

And that's it!

This last episode, Choi Dae Hoon is still the brightest spot. Even RMS can't help but smile 😂

Edited by Chocolate
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

@Chocolate I finished the show when it aired but didn't have time to write about it. I would say the final episode is probably the best part of the show :laugh: (because my torture has finally come to an end ...ahahahah) ...

1 hour ago, Chocolate said:

Grandma wakes up and insists on going home. She meets RMS first who apologised for saying cruel things earlier. He cries but there is no grand gesture from grandma which is quite surprising since he is the long-lost one - maybe I missed something in the earlier episodes.

TBH their reconciliation was a bit of a let down...but I think it is realistic. This is what would actually really happen not like with the fake RMS where everything was set up. This RMS carried a lot of pain with him and from his body language  grandma knew he needed time to process things. My greatest regret of this drama was that these two had so little time to reconnect. The writer could have taken a a different route and made the real RMS the lead of this show ( like I said before KHN could have easily played this role) - and developed his story.

The problem of making Jae Hoon the lead was that I felt very little (if at all ) for him. I know he was a good person but still it was not that he did this for charity. He still made a big sum of money to be part of this grand "production" or "con" , depending on how you see. Some comments I read said that the drama that he made at the end was rather meta - I don't know...perhaps it was a tribute to grandma's life , perhaps it was a reminder to the siblings that nothing is more important than family . But it all felt rather preachy to me especially coming from a guy who had duped than for several months. Don't even get me started about the scenes where he was sharing with the real RMS about his time with grandma. I know he wanted to indirectly let RMS know how much grandma had always longed for him and his father. But instead I felt so bad that RMS was robbed of these moments with his grandma.

The other person I felt a little sorry for was Dong Jae. He was used - though he was a willing participant. You're right that their relationship is rather strange . But a bit of a shame that an actor like Kwon Sang Woo had such a one dimensional character.

1 hour ago, Chocolate said:

SC brings RMS back to the detective guy who found him, and asks him to send RMS back to China. RMS agrees. Anyone knows why? Seems RMS is supposed to settle some things in China and come to South Korea "properly". I don't know what this means.

I was also confused by this but I supposed he came in illegally. Also I am assuming that he needed to ensure his wife is okay ( I think he sent $$ back for her treatment in some earlier episode).  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: -  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  The Judge From Hell  Sat-Sun: Love Next Door  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - The First Shot