Destined With You 이 연애는 불가항력 [2023]

I cried again during the snow stab scene... because RW and JBA were just so good. I knew from the start there must be a reason why he chose to stab her, seeing that he himself already has wounds all over his back. I guess if I were him, I'd rather do the same than seeing her body being pulled apart by bulls :nervous:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

I'm loving your rants / thoughts, @ktcjdrama. Keep it coming. 😄 You too, @gilaswan, keep the discussion coming!

E12 – Did you like the octopus cling??? Wasn't that cute? I think that's a drama (note, not kdrama but drama) first!

E13's angst is good. I felt the angst/emotions of their separation, I got enough pain out of Rowoon as Shin Yu to see his acting, and most importantly, it was short and not dragged out. It ended very decisively and manly by Shin Yu. :laugh:

E14 – How good was the revelation of the past? I think Mu Jin stabbing her is not just because he couldn't bear seeing her dismembered. The belief is if the physical body is dismembered, the soul would become “魂飛魄散” (lost/damaged) as well, and the soul can't reincarnate. I like the revelation of the bloodied hand being a fragment of the painful memory from the past life. It suggested that Mu Jin was so pained by this memory that it hurt his soul, and after reincarnation, the pain followed his soul. Which explains why when the red hand appears in E1, Shin Yu breathe out cold air and the surrounding environment became icy.

Cockroach Bangs – Hahaha! This description killed me! 😆 I think sometimes it is OK, sometimes it is not. I think it got better towards the end too, or I got used to it.

Tertiary supporting characters – You can skip those scenes. I would put the flaws of this drama on too much screen time for these characters. Those spare times could have been used to properly round out the main plot!

Looking forward to your thoughts on E15 and E16! Apart from the super hawt make-out scene, E16 has one scene I can't get over how good it was.

20 hours ago, gilaswan said:

I had no idea that's what it meant to be the "face" of an idol group! I always wondered what they meant when they said that so-and-so was "in charge" of the visuals. But doesn't this mean they have more opportunities than their other teammates to make it big(ger)?

Yes, they have more opportunities in terms of career, especially after they disbanded. But it's unfair that they had to work harder than all the other members. Think it's not all that bad in Korea. At least they are topping some Good Data chart

20 hours ago, gilaswan said:

And I agree! There is advantage to his height! But you know, Rowoon isn't just tall. I mean, there are many tall guys, but some of them are too skinny tall. Rowoon is proportionately tall. He's not "all legs". Until someone else stands next to him, you don't actually get the impression he is that tall. He really looks good. Proportionately. Hahaha... 

Is proportionately tall supposed to be better than “all legs”? I do know what you mean. Some clothes he wore, I was like, “Why doesn't it make his legs look longer when he's supposed to be super tall?” Now that you said he looks proportionate, I understand why visually he doesn't look tall (all legs).

Funny how you guys have cried. How is it that I felt the emotions, but he/story hasn't made me cry??? I'm quite an easy to cry person too! I want to cry too. Haha. Hmm. Why.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 1

😡 I just belatedly remember. The show did not clarify how Shin Yu was found unconscious at the parking lot (with no memories) by Na Yeon! I had been waiting for and thought this would be shown later when the drama focused on Gardener!!! Argh. There had to be something there and it's been cut! Will this appear in the DVD? 😭

Netflix PH: 10 Kisses

Netflix PH knows what the audiences like

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Party! 1

Hello @mademoiselle and everyone else! I did finish this drama! I've just been so busy at work lately so my default has been to watch dramas and then pass out afterwards. And my on-going arm issue means I haven't typed as much as usual....Anyway I found Rowoon so pretty to watch in this series. But I don't know if the actual drama was for me in terms of the storyline. I will admit I kind of got bored in the later episodes when it got really fluffy but I didn't feel like there was much story to tell. It felt like they were trying to cram too many genres in - it went from comedy to melo to thriller to very mushy romance. But it might just be this year - I haven't really found any dramas, particularly romances, this year that have had me obsessing about them. :idk:

I pretty much watched just for Rowoon being pretty and talented and pulling off the comic relief :laugh: I have a like-dislike feeling towards the way magic was presented in this drama. I liked that they showed it as being an unknown in that you were not sure if it really was a spell or not that caused the main character to experience what they were experiencing. I feel like often in dramas they make the magic very clear. But I liked this new idea because that's what we experience - you know, whenever people pray or go to see a psychic or something...we never really know if the supernatural stuff is real or something we just believe in and is a placebo to  explain or validate our own feelings or wishes. But the flip side to everything being explained by the doctors as part of his illness and hallucinating was that it felt anti-climatic? And then it felt like it didn't sit well with the past life storyline...because if she was a sharman in her past life and the magic seemed to work then, why was it so inconsistent in the future? And also, how did both of them come to suddenly see into their past lives without a logical tie to the past (ie. magic)? It's like all of a sudden she saw and understood all the things that had happened to them both...Felt messy in terms of storytelling? :thinking:

I wasn't a big fan of any of the side characters so fully agree with @gilaswan on the following: 

On 10/13/2023 at 3:29 PM, gilaswan said:

4. Gong-Ma wedding took up too much screen time. I’m with @mademoiselle on this - I don’t know how their side story advanced the entire drama. OK. maybe it provided some plot distractions but I could not appreciate them after a while. One good came out of it perhaps - Hongjo got closer to her colleagues. Sort of. 

6. Dad is so rude! So very rude still! I don’t like that he still goes on and on about not accepting Hongjo. I wish mum would now put Dad firmly in his place. He would change his tune if he knew Hongjo was responsible for the curse being broken. Sorta. Or at least that their destinies finally meeting as it should has made it all well for the family. I was actually expecting some sort of a reveal for that but it never happened!

I think when I love a drama, I often have to like a lot of the side characters as well or at least find their humour to sit with mine, but in this drama I didn't really like anyone except for Rowoon/ Jang Sin Yu :laugh: I thought I'd end up at least lliking the female lead and I liked her during episode 4-6-ish, but then I felt indifferent to her story and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because she needed a lot of rescuing. I would have liked to have seen her as being less helpless and more able to deal with the stalke.

I really didn't like the Gong-Ma relationship either. It didn't feel funny, or progress the story or help us to understand the main couple. But there was that on line that the co-worker said which made me laugh during the proposal and that was when she said" "It's not the dreaded public proposal that women hate so much, is it?" And that made me laugh because it's so true. I think I'd die from embarrassment if someone did that to me (and they were meant to know me the best!) :psweatduck: Speaking of the co-workers, I still didn't warm up to them in the end either...sure, they were no longer bullies and were technically her friends. But I feel like they never apologised for being mean to her. They also just seemed to use her to get to guys...and they were soooo cringe. Agan, I'm sure they were meant to be comic reflief, but I felt so embarrassed and annoyed watching them haha. Na Yeon's storyline also felt over the top to me. I think it felt too old school - bully girl who is also cheating with a bad dude while she still wants the main guy and hires the psyho to deal with the main girl? This is like a storyline out of an early 2000's drama :KittyBan: I didn't like her character, but I felt like they could have spent less time on her than give her so much to do in the drama

Anyway, I hope I don't sound too negative - I did enjoy watching Rowoon''s perfomance. It was the first time I was clearly there for Rowoon as a main lead and not for hhis second lead :laugh::laugh::laugh: He was equal parts handsome and also very belivably funny. I felt like he carried the drama. I just wish the storyline and genre was a bit better though. I also wanted to point out that he did a number of very grown up scenes @mademoiselle that were not his usual monk-like scenes. Your boy is a man now :wow2:

• Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently watching: My Lovely Runner // Chief Detective 1958

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Byeon Woo Seok - Sun Jae has run away with my heart!

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

6 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

E12 – Did you like the octopus cling??? Wasn't that cute? I think that's a drama (note, not kdrama but drama) first!

Love it!! And this can only be achieved with Rowoon's long legs... :laugh: I doubt we'll see duplication anytime soon, or ever. 

The belief is if the physical body is dismembered, the soul would become “魂飛魄散” (lost/damaged) as well, and the soul can't reincarnate.

Ah... I see why now. Got to give the king some credit for thinking of that way of killing her so as to avoid the curse. 

Cockroach Bangs – Hahaha! This description killed me! 😆 I think sometimes it is OK, sometimes it is not. I think it got better towards the end too, or I got used to it.

It does get better towards the end, because it kinda evolved into the normal curl already. It wasn't trying that hard anymore to achieve two confused waves in one short length of her bangs. 

Will try to finish 15-16 tonight, but not sure if it's possible or not. Was busy with some RL stuff just now, and now already feeling rather tired... 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Incoming rant again... haha... 

Beginning of ep.16

Spoiler

~ while I applaud Hong Joo's bravery to confront the stalker gardener, she wasn't that all prepared?! If she wants to wait for the police to arrive, she should've stalled the time more by talking nonsense to him, distracting him, instead of challenging him. And she managed to pepper spray him, great job! but why stop there and run out? I would've sprayed him three or four more times. Just to be sure, you know...

~ And then, when the police reached the empty cave (with evidence she's been there), instead of going out and about for a search and rescue, they searched the empty cave?? 

~ Same complaint as before actually, because this one, though I think Rowoon's acting was great, it failed to move me. Before was Hong Joo discovering bloodied Shin Yu at the staircase, parallel to Shin Yu discovering the poisoned Hong Joo. Sure we later were given ambulance scene taking them to the hospital, but argh, I cannot stand them wasting precious seconds with crying and crying, instead of calling for ambulance right away. Sadly this part of Shin Yu discovering unconscious Hong Joo did not move me, especially when they arrived at the hospital (great acting by Rowoon btw) but!... the nurse stopped him near the emergency unit entrance?!? Since when you cannot go beyond the entrance into the room? It's not even operating theatre. Sorry, I know that part was supposed to be moving and hurting, but I felt nothing. That was really too much for dramatic effect. Needless to say, I was frowning instead of tearing... Well of course also because we knew that Hong Joo will be alright, so the dramatic slow-mo scene at the emergency room did nothing to me. I can't say for sure since when I felt it, but I have no doubt this drama is going to end happily. 

Therefore, despite all arcs accounted for, wrapped with pretty bows, I have to say ep.16 was rather lacklustre compared to previous episodes. I have good things to say too, but will continue tomorrow morning as my eyes are half-closed already, haha... Got to get the rant out otherwise I cannot sleep, hahaha....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MTDzeiV.gif

20 hours ago, JenL said:

I found Rowoon so pretty to watch in this series. <deleted>

I pretty much watched just for Rowoon being pretty and talented and pulling off the comic relief :laugh: I have a like-dislike feeling towards the way magic was presented in this drama.

I have discovered that Rowoon is indeed eye candy. Hahaha... But I have seen so many other eye candy idol actors who eventually became uninteresting to follow because they could not really act, or their delivery is very limited so they end up taking very static type roles which don't have depth of character. I'm sure you can think of a few in this category. Rowoon however has (and I keep saying it) been very firmly sealed as an actor whose shows I want to follow. I do hope good script writers will continue to seek him out. 

About how magic was presented, I kept having this on-going discussion with @mademoiselle where I couldn't decide if magic did or did not have a part to play with anything in the show. I reckon that perhaps the general cultural climate does not really want to push forward the idea of a believe in spells or what might be associated with the occult, lest there be people who attempt such things and then the show is blamed for it. They were quite clear at the end of it all to have Hongjo say that she accepts the knowledge of things such as a past life and spells, but she does not believe in them. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

20 hours ago, JenL said:

And then it felt like it didn't sit well with the past life storyline...because if she was a sharman in her past life and the magic seemed to work then, why was it so inconsistent in the future?

My thought is their past life and the memories are not magic related, but it's tied to karma and reincarnation. Aeng Cho's soul reincarnated to be Hong Jo, but did not inherit her power. Hong Jo also never exhibit any Shaman's power like Aeng Cho (she could see the a bit of future, except her own).

@JenL @gilaswan @ktcjdrama I have been meaning to share an analysis post I've come across. You guys can tell me what you think.

This Netizen mentioned the King had burnt all the spell books. When the Concubine first met Aeng Cho, the Concubine asked Aeng Cho if the spell book (she threw on the floor) was written by her. Aeng Cho said it's compiled by someone through word of mouth, so the Concubine said no wonder it wasn't effective. When Aeng Cho was being tortured, the King burnt all the spell books. The Concubine then told the past-life Gardener to get the “last” book Aeng Cho wrote. But there are 2 spell books in the box. This Netizen believes the real spell book is the red (curse) spell book. Netizen thinks Mu Jin didn't burn the book out of his longing for Aeng Cho. The blue one was put in there by Mu Jin, which are spells compiled through word of mouth. Hoping the box would eventually reach its owner. I thought this makes sense because the spells did seem a bit less believable and silly, which Hong Jo herself laughed about it too. Aeng Cho was able to cast a real curse, so the black magic is definitely real. The spells in the blue book may not be strong magic, but it seems to work a little, especially if you believe it. And this ties back to what @JenL said about “belief”.

21 hours ago, JenL said:

But I liked this new idea because that's what we experience - you know, whenever people pray or go to see a psychic or something...we never really know if the supernatural stuff is real or something we just believe in and is a placebo to  explain or validate our own feelings or wishes.

The original text is in the spoiler:

Spoiler
關於咒術有沒有用?
這部分大家熱烈討論許久
感謝網友解答最後一秒的彩蛋
畫面中原本的木盒只有符咒,紅色的黑咒術書藏在木盒頂層看不到。
畫面轉向張武珍拿著藍色咒書,神情像是考慮要不要放進去。
綜合網友的說法,我的解讀是張武珍最後決定放入了民間流傳的藍色封面咒術書,企圖隱藏紅色封面的黑詛咒書(避免落入不當人手中)
他不把黑詛咒咒術書燒毀,是封印對櫻草的思念;放入另一本,是期待如果有來生,世代相傳的神殿巫女會告訴木盒的主人前來拿取,而我們沈迷了這麼久的劇情原來都是起自張武珍放入的這本假咒書,也呼應最後信 洪將木盒埋起來時說「謝謝你」,因為有木盒才能再次相遇。
而,櫻草的咒術書都被皇上燒毀了,鄭昭儀說只剩下一本,應該是黑詛咒那本

那麼藍色的咒術書有沒有用?
這是民間相傳的櫻草巫術,既然櫻草實力驚人(在刑場當場下黑詛咒就能毀了張家三百年,你說是不是朝鮮第一女神巫?)
我相信即使是流傳的咒術還是部分有用的。 而且信者恆信,不信的便無效。
所以洪朝的愛情水可能起了一點點作用,從張信裕袒護娜妍 酸言酸語洪朝,喝了愛情水後態度轉變這點,我個人支持咒術。(可他後來發現自己被洪朝吸引走,這又是後續展開的劇情,愛情水充其量就是一個誘發因子)
身體治癒術使用後,有一段時間紅手沒有再出現糾纏信裕,我也是支持部分有用。
冰肌玉骨術使用後有人說洪朝變漂亮了,我也相信部分有用。但是洪朝不再臉紅,應該是她已經明白自己所愛為誰,再也不會害羞臉紅。

• Insightful 1
On 10/17/2023 at 3:28 PM, mademoiselle said:

Is proportionately tall supposed to be better than “all legs”? I do know what you mean. Some clothes he wore, I was like, “Why doesn't it make his legs look longer when he's supposed to be super tall?” Now that you said he looks proportionate, I understand why visually he doesn't look tall (all legs).

Funny how you guys have cried. How is it that I felt the emotions, but he/story hasn't made me cry??? I'm quite an easy to cry person too! I want to cry too. Haha. Hmm. Why.

Yes! I do think that maybe for ladies being "all legs" is nice, but not for men. They need to be proportionate in their vital stats. Hahaha... It's like people who do workouts on their upper body and forget leg-day? No. Just, no. Hahaha... Rowoon looks good. Like those gifs you shared of Shinyu standing alone in the office, or the one where he is looking over at Hongjo lying down on the floor of the dilapidated shrine? On his own, you don't get the sense that he is as tall as he is because he just looks really good. 

And ah... hahaha... I didn't cry. I felt like crying, but I'm not someone who cries easily... just a real feat that I could feel his emotions too. 

@mademoiselle I also had a look at the tumblr link you shared (I hadn't gone into tumblr like forever, I had to reset my password!) and I stumbled into someone who totally analysed the Ep 15 kiss scene which I found quite so amusing. Hahaha...

Also, that idea about the spell books... hmm... Maybe I should rewatch those scenes too. But why would the real book be the book of curses? Doesn't also explain NJB's knowledge of the curses. That is one issue I'm not happy that they didn't resolve. Tsk. 

• Like 1

@mademoiselle

The Swoon needs to do actual Swoon cuts of Shinyu!

44 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

@gilaswan Proportionate makes him look short here, don't you think? 😶

Reveal hidden contents

6531e1d04a773.JPG

Not short (i think it’s what he’s wearing). He just looks very normal in height when he’s standing alone. He’s not lanky. But once some other tall dude stands next to him, everyone else just looks so much shorter! In a crowd, there’ll be a sea of people, and then Rowoon. Hahahah…

(I don’t like that denim getup he’s in by the way. Looks shapeless, but could be the angle of the shot.)

• Haha 1

@mademoiselle There was this other Tumblr post I came across trying to explain the significance of the final scene with Mujin burying the spell books. Suggested that the blue book was buried by him with a hope that his reincarnated self would be the one to find it, so it began with him and it ended with him. Hmm… I dunno about that though. Cos then they bury it again - what if it gets found by another person in the future - especially the book of curses. 

Also, that thing about the blue book not being written by Aengcho and so would explain why the spells would not work - wasn’t there a flashback she had of herself writing the spells? 

I still wanna know how come Mr Gardener knew the curses without having the book. And did his curses work? We’ve only talked about about the spells Hongjo cast, but did the curses cast really work? 

• Like 1

@gilaswan Yeah, I don't know why his stylist made him wear something which doesn't even suit him. Denim supposed to be easy to wear, no? Maybe it is the visual as well, coz he had to wear the pants lower to show off that CK undies. LOL. I found this. The one first on the left is the newest photo from CK, second was from last night him attended the CK event.

Spoiler

F823ED8a8AA29wg?format=jpg&name=large

21 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

@mademoiselle There was this other Tumblr post I came across trying to explain the significance of the final scene with Mujin burying the spell books. Suggested that the blue book was buried by him with a hope that his reincarnated self would be the one to find it, so it began with him and it ended with him. Hmm… I dunno about that though. Cos then they bury it again - what if it gets found by another person in the future - especially the book of curses. 

Oh yes, I've seen similar analysis.

22 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

Also, that thing about the blue book not being written by Aengcho and so would explain why the spells would not work - wasn’t there a flashback she had of herself writing the spells? 

I would have to check. She was writing it in Korean so I don't know whether she was composing the curse book or normal spells.

22 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

I still wanna know how come Mr Gardener knew the curses without having the book. And did his curses work? We’ve only talked about about the spells Hongjo cast, but did the curses cast really work? 

This is my other gripe of the drama/PD. Now we have to fill in this gap ourselves. I still firmly believe he is another that remembers his past life, which hence, he remembers how to cast some curses. Otherwise, how do we explain away he knows?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

Ah - that episode where she went to his house drunk and then went to bed in that striped shirt - I always wondered, “who changed her?” hahahah

You made me went back to watch E12 just to check and I get to rewatch the octopus cling cute scene.:BulbaOWO: She wasn't wearing the striped shirt on the inside either, so where did they/Shin Yu get the striped shirt? It's too fitting to be Shin Yu's.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

You made me went back to watch E12 just to check and I get to rewatch the octopus cling cute scene.:BulbaOWO: She wasn't wearing the striped shirt on the inside either, so where did they/Shin Yu get the striped shirt? It's too fitting to be Shin Yu's.

Exactly right? Either a wardrobe error, or he bought spares for her to change into in anticipation, or she already had spares placed in his house, which makes ep 15’s choice of wearing his work shirt (“take your time to change”) all the more sus :smug:which we love, cos we’re just busy filling up the gaps now. Hahahaha…

• Haha 1