Destined With You 이 연애는 불가항력 [2023]

2 hours ago, gilaswan said:

@mademoiselle You're not alone here.

😭 I'm not alone! I've lost some customers already... LOL

I'd like to rewatch some episodes to see how we've arrived at this current point, but I am wondering if the initially cast spells work.

I'm also confused whether the spells actually work, but Hong Jo supposed to be the reincarnation of Aeng Cho (or the chosen one, or her descendant), the spells should work.

It's also not likely that the spell for healing him worked as well, seeing as how he collapsed and got admitted to hospital (though it's not been said exactly what illness he has, right?).

My initial thought is: from a superstitious perspective, the illness is a curse because it doesn't seem like the same kind of illness everyone has in the family. His dad's illness is curable, but his is not. I checked episode 1, from scientific perspective, the doctor found damaged blood vessel wall in his brain (near the basal ganglia) causing a vascular disease that gives him headache and trembling hand. Shin Yu pointed out he was fine 6 months ago. The doctor said his condition is a genetic disorder with chromosome mutation that's hard to predict. He could have right hemiplegia (loss of sense in hands & feet), language impairment and ischaemic stroke if he gets too stressed.

You've pointed out many questions, which I find the drama is deliberately concealing from us at the moment. All this curse vs illness is a bit of a blur, as the drama is not confirming whether Shin Yu was cured or cursed again. I expect this to clear up later on!

I agree, @mademoiselle, that Shinyu should not have tried to seduce her in his office. That scene was uncalled for, even if meant to inject humour with him pushing her away on the chair. It will certainly look suspicious to his co-worker, regardless.

This. I'm still confused with the dialogue “I'm doing this because I'm not pure right now”. Is this dialogue supposed to contain double meaning? That is, in this scenario, it's because he's a guy, and he's actually dying to kiss her, so he's not pure? :idk: Enlighten me, please.

ezgif-com-video-to-gif.gif

I thought this scene was funny when Lee Tae Ri spit out the wine and asked who the girl Shin Yu likes. Lee Tae Ri was Rowoon's EY co-star, but also actually worked with Jo Bo Ah before, and she's his "other half" (snake) in Tale of the Nine-Tailed. LOLLLL

Edited by mademoiselle

Oh! I think I'm going to love a short season of cute between them before things (I will imagine) get tough for a while more! They've got a nice chemistry going on between them. I wonder how neighbour-colleague will respond to this though, or if Shinyu will come clean at the workplace about their relationship too (and what kind of aftermath would ensue). I want the gf's affair to be outed!! 

• Like 1

Episode 11

Watching the cuts last night, I thought it might give me toothaches when I watched it in full, but I actually thought it was on an okay level of sweetness. There were some cutesy moments, but I didn't get goosebumps at all. I know I'm biased towards Rowoon, but I'm sure I'm not that biased. LOL.

The lovebirds spent a night out over New Year's Eve—nothing happened. They just slept together on a bed. Shin Yu is being a gentleman, since it wouldn't be appropriate on their day 1 of confirming their relationship to “do it” already. The next morning, they even bumped into Jae Kyung. The fun bit for me was them being cute in front of him, and ruin his appetite. Hahaha, serve him right for self-inviting himself to breakfast!

We have a scene where Hong Jo held onto Shin Yu's pinky and Shin Yu reacted with an interlocking hand holding. Hong Jo asked if he hated holding hands, he asked her, “Who told you that?” /slap /slap Na Yeon moment since she said Shin Yu hates hand-holding.

Shin Yu took care of things with the Mayor, though we don't get to see what he said/done. Since Na Yeon broke the promise, Shin Yu had no squirm in letting everyone who asked him know they have broken up. Woot! My boy got balls! BUT!!! That pot of plant containing Shin Yu and Hong Jo's belongings in blood is delivered to Shin Yu's office. Eeeek!

The show has a fairly good balance of romance and other happenings, though I'd shorten the karaoke bit of the trios. It was so good to see Rowoon sing, especially after the announcement! And, I totally love sly Shin Yu for turning his head to receive Hong Jo's kiss on his lips! KYAAAA!!! Awaiting this GIF from @Tofu :pandapray:

That said, I'm glad he visited the doctor, and he'll get more tests done. Not that I think it'll help because I really think the curse was removed before, and it returned because he's cursed again. If only Hong Jo didn't burn that healing spell page! Maybe the reason Shin Yu has photographic memory is that this might come in handy later!

I'm also happy to say that although romance takes up most of the screen time, we do see Shin Yu work. So he isn't all romance brain. He's digging into Na Joong Beom, the garden owner, blacklisted him for future projects with Onju city. We learn some backstory on him, too. Turned out his wife disappeared, and he was a suspect before. At the end of the episode, a skeleton was found. Shin Yu immediately suspected Na Joong Beom.

The preview showed Hong Jo is getting flashes of her past life memories too. Interesting~

I'm looking forward to the sofa scene. So much teasing & might end up with no real smexy hot actions, though if I do get it I'll be so jelly. If I don't, as an audience, it'll be unsatisfying. Hahahaha, first world issue.

Now, some PPL. Shin Yu gifted Hong Jo Tiffany's bangles. It didn't entice me because I find it bulky and ugly, like padlocks. 😅

F7FxuCvbEAA4sr9?format=jpg&name=large

*&^@#@*&($*#$ @Tofu Hong Jo's bangle is AUD$24,400!

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 1

@mademoiselle Are you out in Australia? I agree with you - those bangles don't look particularly pretty nor classy to me. They do look like locks. Maybe that's the idea. hahaha...

Why did Hongjo decide to investigate the pit that was dug out? This gardener dude is really starting to creep me out. And Hongjo also - not very wise to go out there into the woods on her own right? Especially when she's clearly being stalked - from voodoo effigy to illegally taken photos. 

When is ex-gf going to be outed?? I want her outed!!!

• Like 1

@gilaswan It's her job to investigate into it since it's a public area and all of a sudden there's a pit there. By right, she shouldn't go into the woods alone. So yeah, there's always the stupid plot hole from the writer making the lead(s) do unwise things when they should be cautious.

I want Na Yeon gone too! But I think she'll stay for a while. I don't know, man, Yura keeps taking on roles like this. If I were her, I'd not do it.

Pretty sure padlock is the idea, it even opens like padlock.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 1

Episode 12

ARGH! The episode's ending is so aesthetic, yet poignant.

img.gif

img.gif

We'll have some angst next week (the usual formula for a romance drama). I half look forward to it, and half don't. It's definitely curious as to why Jang Mu Jin killed Aeng Cho. The whole scenario played out with Mu Jin sobbing after stabbing Aeng Cho, and with tears, she said whoever killed her would be cursed. Both have injuries on them, Mu Jin in particular have cuts all over his back. It's suggestive something dire happened; Mu Jin rather be cursed and had to kill her (to save her soul?). On the contrary, maybe killing Aeng Cho damaged Mu Jin's soul and traumatised him enough that the bloodied red is implanted into his soul's subconscious, and cause him pain. Like Tomorrow, losing Gu Ryeon damaged Park Joong Gil's soul, hence he subconsciously resent those who takes their own lives. It makes sense since the medical result shows nothing wrong with Shin Yu's brain.

Thankfully, once the OTP works through this, the pain and suffering from the past will not prevent them from being together because the world now can accept their social status differences.

Lots of cute in this episode, and lots of happening as well. My favourite being drunk Hong Jo dropping by Shin Yu's house and Koala him.

The whole interaction was very natural, and the octopus/koala part was refreshing, as I don't think I've seen it in dramas before. It has a good balance of being sweet and comedic. I'm so looking forward to this BTS and finding out whose great idea is it!

I preferred Shin Yu's chair version because the kisses were super sweet, and it's way funnier in terms of scenario than the ones before. Not only that, but I also like the part where at first Shin Yu was angry Hong Jo lied to him, then it became a bit of a lover's banter. LOL.

Now, progress! I love Shin Yu even more now that I see he's not all romance brain, and he is a smart and smug cookie when he wants to. He must felt apologetic towards Na Yeon that he chose to be ignorant, but when push comes to shove, he retaliates beautifully. The entire arrangement he prepared for Na Yeon and Lee Hyun Seo was gratifying. @gilaswan, agreed, Na Yeon is not honest with her father and Shin Yu is still being nice to her by not telling him. I also believe Shin Yu doesn't know these two go way back than meeting in November! I, too, would love she gets her own judgement day at Onju City Hall. Furthermore, I reckon the whole Onju construction project and the Mayor will fall apart later for corruption for using Haum. I don't think Jae Kyung will take up the offer, I think he and Shin Yu will join hands. It favours Jae Kyung more for his future in politics.

As for the garden owner, I thought it was lacklustre that we only get told he was arrested. But he was released, so he's again out to wreak havoc.

@mademoiselle I too thought the koala/octopus leg cling was very cute! And I just learnt Rowoon is afraid of live octopus. Hahaha…

I liked this week’s installment and the very clear display of how differently he treats Hongjo compared to Nayeon. He quite very clearly had no feelings for Na Yeon - I cannot imagine him even ever kissing her at all! Prolly accepted it as part of a marriage arrangement for his father’s political allegiance. His father and mum’s relationship also seem odd… wonder how dad’s generation dealt with the curse. The relics from old seem to be left in Shinyu’s hands too (the latter written by his ancester/him). Would you leave something like that to your son if you were still around? Surely it’s of significant historical and ancestral relevance.

And yes too to the gardener simply walking out after arrest. Surely not so simple? What’s his actual motive for wanting to curse Shinyu too? Can it actually be that the love potion worked on him and so he’s trying to do this as a form of “revenge” on her for dating someone else? But it can’t be as simplistic as that, right? I want to know if his involvement has anything to do with the histories of their past lives. I’m still waiting to know how Eun Wol halmoni is involved with the family and how she knows all of this back history. 

• Like 1

Oh. I have to add. Drunk Jaekyung telling Hongjo that the height difference with Shinyu wouldn’t work was so funny too. Yes, I hope he doesn’t sell out on his uprightness! And Hongjo’s approach to the office kiss was certainly a lot cuter. I like her taking the lead on some of these interactions and not being as mousy as before. 

@mademoiselle When do you reckon Hongjo started falling for Shinyu?

• Haha 1

@gilaswan Hahaha! I am guessing you saw the House on Wheels clip of him disgusted at having to cut off octopuses' eyes! I'd be scared too. He's scared of bugs and heights as well, so that scene of drunk Shin Yu aegyo Hong Jo not to leave him on the grass and the Space Walk are Rowoon himself. 😆

I like Shin Yu's character consistency, in the sense that he's still cold to everyone else except Hong Jo. It's very clear since episode 1, he never loved Na Yeon. Due to Na Yeon's perseverance and his father's pressuring him to marry, and thinking that he won't ever fall for anyone, he agrees to go with the flow. His dad is a jerk for being mean to his mum. He looks down on her so much. I think his bestie is helping his mum find herself again, which might help mend his parents' marriage, or end it. LOL!

The relic is in Shin Yu's hand because his father has passed it all onto him, including the shrine (mentioned in episode 1). I have a feeling they will live longer if they pass down the curse to the next generation. 🤔

I'm 100% certain the gardener is from the past. Going out for revenge is one thing, but being able to perform curses is another. He'd have to know them, and how does he know if not because he possesses past life's memories?

1 hour ago, gilaswan said:

@mademoiselle When do you reckon Hongjo started falling for Shinyu?

Isn't it love at first sight? — She already thinks he's handsome and asked him to have tea with her. :laugh:It'd be difficult not to fall for this face. :pandablush:

F7KzC8FbMAAeJzH?format=jpg&name=900x900

F7K3AhYbAAAR92V?format=jpg&name=900x900

F7K3VS6aYAAQQa6?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Haha 1

I really love how natural the interaction was between them at his house, how cute she was, how sincerely concerned he was, how gently he spoke to her… aiyoh, so cute leh. The upcoming angst is just aaargh!

Anyway, I’m rewatching old episodes just to track the character development. I’m curious to see when he actually started liking her, and I don’t think the potions worked then. 

Separately, when Hongjo had that flashback of her as Aengcho writing the spell book, I actually half expected that she would write a new one in present day. I wonder if that will be the solution they’re looking for. 

• Like 1

Netflix's version BTS Episode 1-8 (Highlights)

Episode 12 Office Sweet Kiss Cut (Just can't resist not posting!) 😆

Hope to see this scene's BTS tomorrow! 🤭🫣😗

51 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

Anyway, I’m rewatching old episodes just to track the character development. I’m curious to see when he actually started liking her, and I don’t think the potions worked then.

When you find out, let me know. I don't quite know when, but he reacted to her when she said she is being excluded and is eating alone.