Destined With You 이 연애는 불가항력 [2023]

Episode 8

Shin Yu kissed Hong Joo, but it wasn't a happy one. I think I won't lose any customers yet 😅. Right, @SilverMoonTea and @Alice Wonderland. Haha!

I'm a bit sad that Shin Yu is no longer that cold, snobbish or cheeky puppy Shin Yu from before. He's a lot more reserved and quiet, and in pain. Shaman Halmoni hinted to him there's no point of him being the only loyal one in the relationship, but Shin Yu didn't catch what she meant. Halmoni told them if they really want things to go back to as it was, they should bury the box back to where it was found. Hong Joo fell, broke the box, and they found another spell book except this one is a book of curses!

They tried to return the box and they were distracted by a human-like straw dressed in Hong Joo's missing PJ hanging off a tree. The human-like straw had a piece of paper and knife stabbed into the location of the heart and the paper had Shin Yu's name on it. Once again, Shin Yu is cursed. But rather than worrying about himself, Shin Yu is worried of Hong Joo. He bought her stun guns, pepper spray etc and checked her house. He suggested they go on a fake date the next day to lure out the stalker.

Even though the date was fake, Shin Yu took Hong Joo to a nice restaurant and a night stroll on that scary looking roller coaster-like architecture. I'm definitely curious how does one walk on the part where it turns upside down! I enjoyed the scene where they had a heart-to-heart talk about the mess they were in. Shin Yu expresses how he truly feels right now and so did Hong Joo.

Shin Yu went to the garden owner's place after their date. The garden owner was holding a long handle shears. Their scene ended with the garden owner walking up closer to Shin Yu and the next thing we know is at work, Hong Joo finds out Shin Yu has taken sick leave and it wasn't a 1-2 day sickie but was an unsure, infinite kind. Next we know is the preview shows Shin Yu is unconscious on the hospital bed. Eeeeee!

Hong Joo has her own spooky encountering at the end of the episode too, and we don't know whether the person in hoodie is a friend or foe.

All in all, I understand Shin Yu's pain. Like he said, he's never felt the way Hong Joo made him feel. It was clear from the get-go that we know he's never loved Na Yeon. But he chose her as his girlfriend/potental marriage partner so he has a duty and loyalty towards her. What happened makes him confused, especially when he so strongly believes he wouldn't fall for Hong Joo. The issue is whether or not his feelings is real. This is probably the most confusing (even for me) and painful part for Shin Yu. Now that it is established the spell is hoax (is it?), he hates himself for being disloyal to Na Yeon, but he can't control his feelings. I pitied Hong Joo as well. It's not like she asked for all of this, especially if the love spell never works. It's also underseving that she becomes the centre of hate from Na Yeon and her co-workers.

Now, since Hong Joo and Shin Yu are potential entangled from their past lives, could Kwon Jae Kyung be there in their past life too? I don't want him to, because that feels like another 19th Life set-up.

20230914-200106-7424.jpg

8 hours ago, Tofu said:

@mademoiselle I haven't dropped it yet. I was watching all of these clips of them from other press stuff (photoshoots, Netflix, etc.) and they match so well. Their personality compliment each other well. I loved it! 

:pandascared: I hope they are just chingu... LOL LOL. I'm not ready for Oppa to date.

• Insightful 1
  • Haha 3
On 9/8/2023 at 7:46 PM, mademoiselle said:

Omg, did you have a radar or something? I was just wondering where you were coz you promised to watch and spazz with me.

Hahaha I sometimes sense JH friends summoning me!  :laugh: I am watching btw! I'm just so busy with work/ arm injury / social life/ watching 4 dramas/ recording podcasts / trying to keep up on drama news & JH....that I struggle to balance everything :cry: But just know that I'm watching and will spazz especially if you tag me (I'll eventually get back to youuuu). I'm definitely still watching and enjoying the series. I caught up llate last week and I actually really like this show from episode 4. Rowoon has been fantastic this whole time but female lead becomes so much 

And yes, how hot is Rowoon in this drama? Agreed he's on fire in here! He did try very hard to stay pretty and keep his weight down when he filmed this drama but he couldn't stop himself pigging out in House on Wheels when Jae Wook and Hye Yoon were with him. Haha.

Rowoon is killing me in this series. Why is he so hot and simaltaneously so funny? :wow: Hahaha he tried hard to stay pretty? I thought it was just his natural way of being :smug: He slayed me in Episode 4. I couldn't help but laugh at his cool-guy-but-desperately-cursed-lovelorn antics. I have never been so charmed with Rowoon as I have been in this series!

Also I feel guilty for saying this but I STILL haven't watched House on Wheels yet evenn though I LOVE the EY trio. I'm going to schedule in time to watch it tomorrow !!! It is important content and I feel kinda guilty that I haven't kept up with my boy LJW in awhile

I'm alright with FL and the actress playing her. This is actually the more likable roles I've seen her in. Character set-up wise, I am ok too. I feel like this kind is more acceptable that those where at first they started off being sassy and then later on become meek or a doormat.

Her female work mates are horrible. I'm glad the lady boss is nice and stop the bullying.

FL for some reason got better after episode 4. I'm not sure why. Maybe I've just gotten use to her ways. But more likely I think it's because they've stopped making her do as stupid things and given her some more substance. Also they've started to spend more time on other characters like the second leads in order to get the story moving. So I'm finding her A LOT better. I agree with you though - those FL who start out all cool but then turn into a sobbing mess really irritate me. :HaunterOK:

I am LOVING the female boss. I mean I haven't caught up on the last few episodes yet, but up until that point she's been so cool - she sees throguh everyone's bad behaviours and calls them out on it! :wow:

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Currently watching: My Lovely Runner // Chief Detective 1958

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Byeon Woo Seok - Sun Jae has run away with my heart!

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

On 9/16/2023 at 2:23 PM, SilverMoonTea said:

Yes you haven't lose me as predicted, you know me so well 😂 It still have enough mistery to keep me going, and they haven't become a mushy couple that I dislike. And I enjoyed the love triangle between the two men and HJ. It was surprising that JK also now on the suspect list. But like you said this has become lesser funny now. 

How are you liking emo Shin Yu? I think he's brooding / emoting sadness quite well. Enjoying that side of his character/acting too.

On 9/17/2023 at 12:01 AM, Alice Wonderland said:

I haven't watched ep 7 to 8 yet. I'm about to start it. 

How is it going there? Hope you enjoy the angsty. Haha.

21 hours ago, JenL said:

But just know that I'm watching and will spazz especially if you tag me (I'll eventually get back to youuuu). I'm definitely still watching and enjoying the series. I caught up llate last week and I actually really like this show from episode 4. Rowoon has been fantastic this whole time

He's not funny now but sad. I still like it, I guess it's inevitable as the plot thickens. I'm really enjoying different facets of Rowoon's acting. I know he was improving in each and every one of his recent dramas, but this one really stood out. I hope it continues to be good.

21 hours ago, JenL said:

He slayed me in Episode 4. I couldn't help but laugh at his cool-guy-but-desperately-cursed-lovelorn antics. I have never been so charmed with Rowoon as I have been in this series!

IKR! I was dying from laughter. Episode 4 was a very memorable episode. His I-need-to-use-the-bathroom-but-I-can't-move-from-you scene was hilarious and to top it off, he did the "huuuuu~" I died :lmao2:

21 hours ago, JenL said:

Also I feel guilty for saying this but I STILL haven't watched House on Wheels yet evenn though I LOVE the EY trio. I'm going to schedule in time to watch it tomorrow !!! It is important content and I feel kinda guilty that I haven't kept up with my boy LJW in awhile

Oh my, you HAVE to watch it no matter what. Them being together again is so awesome. I love how EY made them so much closer and they give each other so much support after working on EY. I find that really, how to say, precious...? They may not be fantastic at the time in the acting department, but I think it's also because of that that it became a meaningful project for all 3 of them.

21 hours ago, JenL said:

FL for some reason got better after episode 4. I'm not sure why. Maybe I've just gotten use to her ways. But more likely I think it's because they've stopped making her do as stupid things and given her some more substance. Also they've started to spend more time on other characters like the second leads in order to get the story moving. So I'm finding her A LOT better. I agree with you though - those FL who start out all cool but then turn into a sobbing mess really irritate me.

Her colleagues are the more annoying one now. I can't believe they are still dissing her half way through the drama. They are only nice to her now after they thought she got dumped by Shin Yu. I thought the colleagues would change their behaviours as they get to know Hong Joo better but they are still acting b*tchy.

• Like 2

I am so sorry @mademoiselle I am already started ep 7 last night. it was until the scene of the three discussing the spells book and how JK wants proof of it. I don't know why I got distracted and ended up watching other recently airing dramas. 🤭 Jeongmal mian, mianhae. I will keep my promise to watch this soon. 😄

I don't feel for JBA's acting as HJ tbh, all her rejections felt so faked. She is totally swayed by SY. She's in denial. And as the story goes until this point doesn't excite me that much. 

Edited by Alice Wonderland
  • Haha 3

Episode 9

All that suspense at the end of episode 8 and beginning of this episode resulted in nothing. We don't get to know whether the shadow was the creepy garden stalker or not. Right when Hong Jo ran and bumped into Jae Kyung, all the lights lit up again. Is that considered suspicious? Is the venue settings so advance that it can be controlled with a remote? If it can, then ok, maybe Jae Kyung is suspicious too. 

On the other hand, Shin Yu is "said" to have been found by Na Yeon unconscious at the parking lot. *Suspicious* He only wakes up two days later with no recollection of what happened. *Curious*

The plot twist is Na Yeon is in cahoot with the creepy garden owner! He was the one taking pictures of Hong Jo and Shin Yu and sending them to Na Yeon. It looks like the garden owner is preparing another straw puppet and this time he's asked for Shin Yu's shirt. I seriously don't understand what does Na Yeon want from Shin Yu now. Revenge? Also, does this mean this garden owner knows some spells and hypnosis? Else how can Shin Yu not remember he was with the garden owner? The Show is withholding some information to reveal later.  

Hong Jo asked Shin Yu for the spell books, and casts another spell but we don't get to know which one. She reads the curse spell book and the condition of one of the curses (to remove love) is very similar to the straw puppet at the forest. But how does that person know about this curse? Don't tell me the creepy garden owner also remembers his past life?

It's obvious that when Shin Yu was unconscious, he had flashbacks of his past life. The bridge scene where Shin Yu confesses his love for Hong Jo was quite aesthetic as we get taken back to their past. They were childhood lovers. Aeng Cho was a powerful Shaman who could see people's future except herself. She saw a bloody red hand touching adult Jang Mu Jin's face. So it's confirmed the red hand from episode 1-2 was Aeng Cho's since we know Aeng Cho was killed by Mu Jin (although I think there's a twist in this).

Spoiler

F6fKjqvaQAI4lPD?format=jpg&name=largeF6fKk7kaQAE_RrJ?format=jpg&name=large

LOL, feels like an Extraordinary You plot here and maybe Mu Jin was under a spell to kill Aeng Cho. :laugh: Those who has seen EY will understand what I'm talking about. Aeng Cho and Mu Jin's loveline was never going to yield a happy ending anyway due to social status differences.

Another thing I am starting to question is if Shin Yu's sickness is not getting any better, isn't it inappropriate for him to keep showing his affections towards Hong Jo? You're technically dying, Shin Yu! Even though you deserve happiness too. 😅 Am I being too cruel to my male lead and selfish from the female lead's perspective.

Episode 10

img.gif

That “Saranghae” from Rowoon was just 💘. He probably got goosebumps behind the scenes, but I personally thought the intonation and delivery of that word was beautifully done.

We have some bickering after Shin Yu confesses. It was nice and cute because we haven't seen it for a while. When Hong Jo pointed out Shin Yu is two-timing, he asked Hong Jo to wait for him, and he'll go to her in a “clean” state. Based on this, it's clear that the writer does know the viewers won't be happy of a male lead with low moral values and a female lead will face criticisms for being the third wheel. I also think there is a slight lost in translation, for the English title “Destined With You”, as it can't quite fully convey the crux of the plot. The literal translation of the Korean title is actually “This Relationship is a Force Majeure”. Force majeure is a French word that is used in contract law, and it means a “greater force”. It's related to the concept of the “act of God” for an event that neither party can be held responsible. “Destiny” or “fate” is not incorrect as well, but the original title just seems stronger and deeper in meaning in describing the entanglement between the OTP.

In truth, Shin Yu has broken up with Na Yeon the next day he kissed Hong Jo (episode 8), but we don't get to see this until this episode! We would have to pay utmost attention to the dialogues to figure this out. The flashback method used by this show doesn't really help if the viewers weren't paying attention. It now makes more sense why Shin Yu was cold and rejected Na Yeon's touch in episode 9 when she visited him at the hospital.

Shin Yu was supposed to travel with Na Yeon, but he ended up at the fireworks festival. And supposedly the next day he breaks up with Na Yeon, though I feel the sequence is a bit off here due to Na Yeon's dialogue being Shin Yu needed to think things through overnight and handle it. We didn't have a scene of this shown. It doesn't quite make sense, because since she found out, Shin Yu's heart has never changed, and he could have just asked to breakup then & there rather than doing it after he confesses to Hong Jo at the bridge.

In my previous post, I questioned Na Yeon's loyalty towards Shin Yu since she's cheating on him. I got my answer now, and it goes to show she'll continue to cheat even after she marries Shin Yu. At this stage, she's just obsessed in “owning” someone she knows she'll never have.

Shin Yu now remembers his past life. He goes to tell Shaman Halmoni, and it was revealed she, too, remembers her past life.

The red hand returned just when Shin Yu and Hong Jo are going for another kiss. The preview tells us Shin Yu hasn't felt that hand sensation for a while, and now it's back! This suggests that the healing spell and disaster spell did work. But Shin Yu is experiencing this again because the garden owner cast a curse spell. This time, Na Yeon passed him Hong Jo's gloves. He puts Shin Yu's shirt and Hong Jo's gloves together and wet it with his own blood as well as a dead cat's blood. He buries the items underneath a pot of plant.

It would be reasonable to suspect that the curse was never cast by Aeng Cho towards Jang Mu Jin. It's likely someone else, the garden owner's past life, who had cursed the Jang family.

I'll be honest, I didn't like when Shin Yu gets all jealous attempting to kiss Hong Jo in his office. I think that scene flutters some female viewers' hearts because he's acting like a domineering CEO, but for me, it was inappropriate. For one, he made a promise to Na Yeon and secondly, Hong Jo was unaware of their promise. A shut-up kiss (albeit failed) doesn't solve anything. I also didn't like he dragged her out of work and not consider it would cause gossips. However, I did forgive Shin Yu a little, just a little, in the final scene when he explained to Hong Jo everything, and what he'll do if Hong Jo confirms she likes him too.

ee706da838978c7cffa6095f910d943900ba4301

So cute :pandalove:

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2

Behind the scenes

@Tofu The historical record showed Aeng Cho was killed by Jang Mu Jin. It's not yet clear whether Jang Shin Yu = Jang Mu Jin, and whether he knows he is Jang Mu Jin even though he remembers his past life now. Also, it may not be truly him who killed her, because it is now suggestive the garden owner may play a part in Aeng Cho's death (note: in present time, he tells Hong Jo she looks like his deceased wife. He could very well mean the past life).

7 hours ago, Tofu said:

This got me thinking with 19th Life, and it is shown here too -- would you want to remember your past life?

If reincarnation and karma go hand in hand, then yes, I'd like to remember. It can help us better understand why someone behave, or some things happen the way it did. It might give us a better chance at undoing the accumulated karma, pay any debt we owe and unlink the fate we have with that person, especially if it's a bad fate.

@mademoiselle You're not alone here. I've been here too, but this past month has been extremely busy. So glad to have this drama to look forward to mid-week actually! I'm rather liking the story and there's a strangely nice tension going on between the 2 leads.

I'd like to rewatch some episodes to see how we've arrived at this current point, but I am wondering if the initially cast spells work. Shaman Halmoni did say that if you believe in the spirits, it will appear to you. If you don't, then status quo. I don't actually think that in the initial tries, Hongjo truly believed. She was simply giving it a shot. And so I don't think the spells worked - her reporting officer drank some of the love potions he made but clearly it had no effect on him. I think Shinyu was already attracted to her for ways he could not explain but he wanted to explain it, so he went with the potion as reason. 

It's also not likely that the spell for healing him worked as well, seeing as how he collapsed and got admitted to hospital (though it's not been said exactly what illness he has, right?). I can only hazard that in the time he and Hongjo are together, she is actually the answer to his illness. So it's not a spell thing. I am thus inclined also to think that recent health issues and resurgence of the bloodied hand is because of the curses that landscapist is performing on him. I am curious though how he managed to recruit the (very annoying) girlfriend. Can someone just out her and her affair with that equally annoying richboy already?

@Tofu As for the bloodied hand - I too think the hand belongs to Hongjo, though perhaps not to kill him but as a remnant memory of his past life. Perhaps he could not get to her in time to save her, and in this life, it is what he must do to break the curse. Landscapist is prolly trying to prevent that, though I wonder who he was in their past, and why is it he has appeared in their present. 

This girlfriend is a real piece of work. He's actually broken up with her already but she went ahead to propose to him. I don't actually think he accepted the proposal though, so she must've wheedled her way through her dad. I just also don't like the idea of Hongjo being thought of as the 3rd wheel in this relationship. She really hasn't done anything to distract Shinyu - she's been rather passive through it all. I agree, @mademoiselle, that Shinyu should not have tried to seduce her in his office. That scene was uncalled for, even if meant to inject humour with him pushing her away on the chair. It will certainly look suspicious to his co-worker, regardless. 

• Like 1