King the Land 킹더랜드 [2023]

Episode 5

The show just has to repeat the goosebump inducing bit where Sarang fell into Gu Won's arm. 😅 This time I believe I've developed  immunity. Gu Won was the sweetest all night, buying dry clothes and shoes for Sarang, passing it as he's just simply pick them without trying hard. LOL. And I just love how spontaneous he was in posing for the photo at that moment. Even I was caught by surprise. :laugh:

Hopefully that is the end we'll see of Sarang's ex boyfriend. If a person like him really exist in real life, he needs a mirror. Not just any kind, but the Snow White's mirror that will always tell him the truth about his sh*tty behaviour.

Gu Won is must be the top of the world kind of chaebol, having never experienced commoner's food. He must grew up with professional chef and nutritionist or something to be so surprised by draft beer and Teppanyaki's performance. Since he has no friends; no one actually take him out to see the other side of the world. It looks like Sarang is that person who will from the next episode pre-release.

The development of the plot is really slow, and I'd say there's not even any significant move! Gu Won isn't doing anything to bring in business or learn the business. His interference only put the staff or Sarang in stickier situation.

I also do not get why the reappearance of that National's Mum character. I question the necessity of such scenes. Will it tie back to story or something later...?

This show reminds me a lil' of CLOY, in the sense that I fell for the actors in their previous projects (Hyun Bin in MotA, Jun Ho in Red Sleeves). Both were super cool characters with the dramas have heavy plots. But both's next projects turns out to be a fluffy romance and huge change in characters (even aegyo is coming) that I'm finding hard adjusting to.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Ok. We’re in by 6 episodes and yet nothing much has moved as @mademoiselle has said. Nothing. Even Mr No is bugging Gu Won for a plan. Has he really no plan?!? For someone supposedly smart, has he truly no other plan than to find his mother. Even that needs a plan but he seems to have no plan for that too! I’m enjoying all the fluff for sure, but seriously, when’re things gonna get exciting? Even mentioning Sarang’s wild ginseng find and getting the ginseng guy to agree to supplying King Hotel the best of his finds would have contributed to something, but even that fizzled into nothingness. 

Plan, Gu Won. I need a plan. This boy has zero ambition whatsoever… Is he really just gonna be a rich, spoilt brat??

• Haha 4

@gilaswan The ginseng guy did promise to supply King Hotel some ginseng. There's minor progress... just in the love department. LOL. Maybe the show wants to get it over and done with the romance first (he's even met the family already). Get the girl and then he can focus on his career.

===

It seems like he and daddy dearest connected a lil' through gukbap. The father and son need a heart-to-heart talk, especially about his mother. Perhaps the father did love the mother, as we know, sometimes chaebols don't always get to do what they want and they themselves can't give up the riches they own so their love eventually was sacrificed.

We now even have a potential fiancee introduced. At least that girl doesn't seem to be in love with Gu Won, and they are more like brother and sister.

Seems like, or at least I keep hoping, that next episode will be the episode where he decides to step up. He would need to, if he wants to protect Sarang. All the things Halmoni said to him about earning his keep should be a foreshadowing... at least this is what I hope.

I'm not particularly hook on this drama. The plot is really thin and I am not exactly invested with the OTP's romance. And yeah, need some excitement, emotions, conflicts... something!

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

@gilaswan @mademoiselle I have given up on this show having any plot. :laugh: I am just watching this mindlessly because of JunHo - he's such eye candy and has pretty good comic timing. In a way, he's kind of carrying this show on his shoulders. Yoona is suitable for the role and has that sweet girl next door vibe to her. So she's easy on the eyes too.  The chemistry initially wasn't that apparent to me , but I think it is getting better as the episodes progress. At least, I do enjoy their scenes together. 

We've spent plenty of time seeing GuWon go after Sarang, and poor boy is just only finally making a bit of progress seeing that Sarang feels jealous. As we know in every rom-com , that is the key turning point to OTP progress. The writer of this show sometimes give me moments that I really like, but then she'll suddenly slot in the cheesiest of tropes to make me cringe. LOL. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

@abs-oluteM agree the plot is pointless.  But enjoying the series anyway.  
I mostly enjoy watching GW make a fool of himself trying “normal” things.

Wonder if the other 2 ladies storylines will make any point at the end.  so far it’s just showing their hardships at work and crazy stress release when they come together.  which is nice…. I do the opposite!  I complain 

Edited by Mizv
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

@abs-oluteMHahaha... I'm still holding out for a plot. It's just really slow getting there. I was hoping so hard that when GW had that Gukbap moment with his dad, that the issue of who he saved and why and the outcome would come up, but none of that. Perhaps indeed the business has been run by persons with no heart. Maybe dad once had a heart but look where that got him? A son by a woman he had to abandon. And maybe GW meeting Grandma allowed for SR to see him in a new way, a new light, and these lessons he's "learning" from the heartlands is what will allow him to come back at mean ol' sis with roaring success! 

Maybe I'm writing the plot for them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
On 7/4/2023 at 3:10 PM, gilaswan said:

Maybe I'm writing the plot for them. 

Haha, maybe yours will be better! Just googled and this is the writer's first drama. Given the "development" in 6 episodes, I'm not holding much hope that there will be significant improvement. I was prepared for a fluffy rom-com. At least I have a chaebol character to watch. But this chaebol is quite useless 😂 And what's with that leap from the cliff to the ledge??? Even the camera angle showed that he would have missed and bye bye lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3