King the Land 킹더랜드 [2023]

I saw the pre-released clip and let me tell you...I've had my battles with toners and that scene is so unrealistic. There is no way KJH did not get toner all over his clothes (as well as the other two) when it exploded like that. If that happened, they need to buy a better brand because they are getting ripped off. :laugh:

• Haha 5

Episode 1

I thoroughly enjoyed it! It was a light and fun watch. Episode 1 is more like an introduction to the main characters. @Chocolate How's that an entrance for our male lead? 🤭 He did look all cool, suave and beautiful as he took off the helmet (perfect hairstyle too... hahaha) only to be on the wrong building 😆

The story began in 2015 where Cheon Sarang became an employee of King Hotel. She and her BFFs were both newbies in their own workplace and have to endure the overbearing sunbae. I have so much sympathy for them. They release their stress by clubbing hard. LOL. Meanwhile, Gu Won was placed as an intern and was fired on the spot. It was then revealed he was an unwelcome guest in the house by his half-sister. He returns to England, taking the intern he met with him.

Time passes, Sarang became a formal employee of King Hotel at the front desk. Her BFF who works at the duty free shop got married and had a daughter who is more mature than her mum (Ahahaha, I think this is a deja vu because I've seen this scenario before). Not much mention is revealed about her flight attendant friend yet.

In the present time, Gu Won received a piece of paper at his castle and decided to return to South Korea. I am definite that this has everything to do with his birth mother. He tells his father he wants to work at King Hotel. So our OTP's love story will start from episode 2.

I like Gu Won already. He's quiet (for now). He's also that typical male lead - grumpy and unhappy with mummy issue and have to fight for his rights in the family. He doesn't seem interested in the family's inheritance, but sometimes, when your button was pushed too much by your enemy, you want to show them you aren't to be trifled with. There's definitely going to be some family politics will be in play later, and I wonder if the sister has a hand in whatever happens to his birth mother.

As for Sarang, she's going to be the sun that brings light and warmth to Gu Won's cold and lonely heart. I think her BFFs are also going to be the fun bit in the drama to watch out for as well. In a traditional Disney fairy tales, the FL always have side-kicks. This is the same. Heh. 100 points bet on the flight attendant BFF will be paired with Gu Won's BFF / Secretary. LOL!

@abs-oluteM @Tofu @ktcjdrama @Chocolate @SilverMoonTea A good start for episode 1.

@JenL It's only episode 1, so I'm not sure you'll pick this up...

@SilverMoonTea Tell your sis, Jun Ho is so so so swoony.

@Tofu Re: Toner. Are you supposed to shake that rigorously though? I've done it before but I didn't want to get the ink powder on me so I shake it really lightly in my previous previous workplace. In my previous workplace, I never encounter having to change ink cartridges during my employment there.

Episode 2 Pre-release

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 3
  • Party! 1

@mademoiselle The hotel set-up is similar to 19th Life too. Haha! Both ML are taking control of their family's hotel. ML here is taking from half-sister and ML in the other one is taking from step-mom. Hahaha! 

Toners shouldn't be shaken like that. I was saying that even during the times I've installed toners, lightly tip them from side to side (instead of shaking), etc., the ink would get everywhere. So much ink on the floor in that scene but none on any of the characters. Hahaha! 

• Insightful 1
  • Haha 4

Hello chingus!!!

Watched the ep yesterday and loved the ML. Not quite so feeling the FL. Love the relationships with her friends though. 

Also, can't wait to find out what's the deal with the missing (dead) mom? And what role did the half sister play in that.

It's also going to be interesting to find out if that sister will try to manipulate FL once she realizes there's something going on with ML. Bc, FL definitely impressed her and in a way, got her quick promotion bc of her. right?

Let's wait for next ep!

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 3

I caught the first episode. It was an easy watch...if you're expecting something super fresh in terms of plot, I would think you'd be disappointed. But if you can view this as a classic rom-com with all the tropes you'd expect of rich chaebol - hardworking / resourceful FL type shows, this would be fun.  Since I always adjust my viewing lenses where rom-com's are concerned, I did enjoy the episode. The leads have good visuals and pacing was decent. 

I will be tuned in.

Hello @Min86! Nice to be sharing a thread again. 

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

I've done ep1 and 10min of ep 2.

On 6/18/2023 at 8:24 AM, mademoiselle said:

I thoroughly enjoyed it! It was a light and fun watch. Episode 1 is more like an introduction to the main characters. @Chocolate How's that an entrance for our male lead? 🤭 He did look all cool, suave and beautiful as he took off the helmet (perfect hairstyle too... hahaha) only to be on the wrong building 😆

Not bad hahaha. There were a few moments I snickered. ML is watchable. But surprisingly not much natural chemistry with the FL, although they look good on paper. Let's see.

She and her BFFs were both newbies in their own workplace and have to endure the overbearing sunbae. I have so much sympathy for them.

Poor girls. What awful bosses. The friend who works in MCM/retail, I wonder if she is able to collect back the cost of the gimbap.

As for Sarang, she's going to be the sun that brings light and warmth to Gu Won's cold and lonely heart. I think her BFFs are also going to be the fun bit in the drama to watch out for as well. In a traditional Disney fairy tales, the FL always have side-kicks. This is the same. Heh. 100 points bet on the flight attendant BFF will be paired with Gu Won's BFF / Secretary. LOL!

Oh god, no please! She's a pretty girl 😂 I kinda wish they had cast someone else as the secretary. The mix just doesn't seem right somehow. Like Lee Min Ho and Woo Do Hwan in the King - that pair was compatible.

Contrary to everyone else, I hope not too much on the BFF as I am already ffwding those parts haha.

21 hours ago, Min86 said:

Hello chingus!!!

Watched the ep yesterday and loved the ML. Not quite so feeling the FL. Love the relationships with her friends though. 

Also, can't wait to find out what's the deal with the missing (dead) mom? And what role did the half sister play in that.

It's also going to be interesting to find out if that sister will try to manipulate FL once she realizes there's something going on with ML. Bc, FL definitely impressed her and in a way, got her quick promotion bc of her. right?

Hello! I also hope the mum/half-sister bit is interesting and not just a side plot to the romance.

However mean she is to Gu Won, the sister seems like a capable and fair boss. Sarang has a really good attitude in her work, and she recognised it and gave her the opportunity to grow. So I'd say Sarang may feel some loyalty to her.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

Episode 2 continues to be an enjoyable watch. @abs-oluteM's description was apt in capturing the essence of this classic rom-com. I think so far they are rocking the classic. I'm loving the hotel and its interior. I wonder if it's a real one. Looks like a 7 stars hotel. I like the scene it gave us a preview of the function room.

These three girls have such horrible superiors. It's a puzzle how Sarang's manager manages to become a manager. She's not very bright when she was rude to Lo Shang Sik. It doesn't take a smart person to understand that one doesn't offend the big Boss' Secretary since the Secretary represents the Boss.

I honestly thought Sarang wasted the Tuna for not eating it herself. LOL. Other than that, Sarang needs to ditch that boyfriend of his. He doesn't respect her and has no consideration. She's got a better prospect now, and it's obvious in this episode that they have been mesmerised by one another. I like that they took turn. Haha.

img.gif

I quite like this scene, and the BGM playing. I wonder who sang that. Both were being emotional and holding back their tears. I was especially moved by Jun Ho's in the above GIF (bottom). Yoona was emoting her frustration well too. Looks like Gu Won's mother may have been an employee of King Hotel too except her details couldn't be found in the system. Interesting. I hope that wouldn't set him back later in his budding relationship with Sarang though I've a hunch, it somehow will—classic trope: the conflict.

@Chocolate Looks like Flight Attendant friend has a loveline of her own. The guy looks much younger than her though. I guess you'd approve that one more. Haha!

@Chocolate This scene. You got your wish with his fringe combed up. The walk, the whole outlook, do you like it? I wish Lee Jun Ho will never stop wearing 3 piece suit in this drama. He rocks all of them. They fit him so well.

img.gif

40 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Not bad hahaha. There were a few moments I snickered. ML is watchable. But surprisingly not much natural chemistry with the FL, although they look good on paper. Let's see.

Tagging @SilverMoonTea :laugh:

Oh god, no please! She's a pretty girl 😂 I kinda wish they had cast someone else as the secretary. The mix just doesn't seem right somehow. Like Lee Min Ho and Woo Do Hwan in the King - that pair was compatible.

Contrary to everyone else, I hope not too much on the BFF as I am already ffwding those parts haha.

Ahahahaha, I always look forward to your comment. LMAO. I'm OK with the BFF so far. Episode 2 has more focus on the main leads.

Hello! I also hope the mum/half-sister bit is interesting and not just a side plot to the romance. However mean she is to Gu Won, the sister seems like a capable and fair boss. Sarang has a really good attitude in her work, and she recognised it and gave her the opportunity to grow. So I'd say Sarang may feel some loyalty to her.

22 hours ago, Min86 said:

Hello chingus!!!

Let's wait for next ep!

Hello. Nice to meet you.

The antagonism with the half-sister is definitely the interesting bit to watch out for other than the romance. She's about to sabotage the broadcast too, which I hope will not go her way. It didn't seem like it in the preview either. It does suggest that she may try to use Sarang against Gu Won later.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Gaho's songs seem very similar in tune (to Itaewon Class), huh?

I love Gaho and I LOL'd when I saw you tag me because of it. :lmao2:

Because of his OST in Itaewon Class, I feel like he gets asked to do a lot of these types of songs. Even the song in Start Up (Running) is similar too. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I honestly thought Sarang wasted the Tuna for not eating it herself. LOL. Other than that, Sarang needs to ditch that boyfriend of his. He doesn't respect her and has no consideration. She's got a better prospect now, and it's obvious in this episode that they have been mesmerised by one another. I like that they took turn. Haha.

That BF of hers doesn't really care about her. It is all about him. Hope she drops him quick and there won't be a point where he comes back to confuse her when her romance here with GW takes off

3 hours ago, Chocolate said:

However mean she is to Gu Won, the sister seems like a capable and fair boss. Sarang has a really good attitude in her work, and she recognised it and gave her the opportunity to grow. So I'd say Sarang may feel some loyalty to her.

Am sure Sarang will feel conflicted down the road.

I wonder now if GW's mum was a legal wife. 

• Like 4

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Behind the Scenes

@Tofu Ahahaha, coz I remember we had a conversation about Gaho and Itaewon Class before. I like their song from Start Up too. But their other songs in their albums aren't like that, right? I've only ever listened to them via OST. There's a ballad song that caught my attention in episode 2. I'll have to wait and see who sang them. It has been awhile since I'd notice an OST in the background.

@abs-oluteM I'm wondering if they will break up or he dumped her and she will be all upset, and Gu Won will be there to comfort her. Usually that's one of the tropes.

I think Gu Won's mum might just be a mistress. Because, remember when his father said "Your mother's (death) anniversary is coming up" and Gu Won asked, "Which mother?" That sounds like his mother was not formally recognised as the lady of the household. I'm also guessing his mum might still be alive, but she was asked never to appear before him.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1

@mademoiselle He did a recording singing the OST for this drama. 

His non-OST songs are different, but there are some with the same type of energy if that makes any sense? Haha! Here are a couple I like:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hmm...can't have this post be completely off-topic, so here's Gu Won.

KTL-01.gif

• Haha 3
On 6/20/2023 at 3:57 PM, mademoiselle said:

think Gu Won's mum might just be a mistress. Because, remember when his father said "Your mother's (death) anniversary is coming up" and Gu Won asked, "Which mother?" That sounds like his mother was not formally recognised as the lady of the household. I'm also guessing his mum might still be alive, but she was asked never to appear before him.

I wonder what it was that made him return.  He isn’t really interested in the power struggle with his sis. Though the sis feels threatened because dad may end up favoring him. I’m assuming whatever document he received in the UK, which triggered him to return , had something to do with his mum . Revenge ? 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

8 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

I wonder what it was that made him return.  He isn’t really interested in the power struggle with his sis. Though the sis feels threatened because dad may end up favoring him. I’m assuming whatever document he received in the UK, which triggered him to return , had something to do with his mum . Revenge ? 

From what I could understand, the document he received was an employee form from King Hotel. Have you completed episode 2? Remember the scene he was searching for someone in King Hotel's system but could not find? I think he was looking for his mum's details. He felt a bit down and was all emotional looking at the nightview beside Sarang after that.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2