My Dearest/ Lovers 연인 [2023]

abs-oluteM

I love Lee Chung Ah...have been hoping for her and NGM to reunite in another drama. But not this way. I don't want JH's heart to stray...My investment has been in GC - JH love line ...not a love triangle. This drama better not disappoint me

• Like 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

As painful as it was to see the leads separate again, I cannot blame Gil Chae. I would have loved that she ran off with JH ...but if I were in her shoes I could never do it. How could she abandon her father who has dementia and her younger siblings who relied on her?  She is no longer that same girl we met in eps 1 who would do anything to steal herself the man of her dreams. GilChae has evolved from a girl to a woman. The war and the post-war hardships brought growth and maturity. Remember the girl who was so concerned about her shoes that she hid them before they had to run from the intruders? Now, she's the one who with her wit and courage, supports and feeds so many people.  I wish JH had stayed back instead but I think that letter was written so that she didn't have to saddle him with her burden.

The ending of the show did bring some unexpected reaction from viewers who had become so invested in JH - GC's love line that they found it in poor taste to have a scene that seems to suggest the JH's attention would shift from GC to this mysterious lady in a blue mask. Blame it on the good chemistry of LCA and NGM, or blame it on the PD wanting to stir up some controversy. For me , it is just a clever hook to get people talking for the next month so that they will watch Part 2 :laugh:. However there were plenty of protests and concerns that the FL would be changed and many viewers said they would boycott Part 2.  So much so the production and Nam Goong Min himself had to assure the viewers it was not the case.

Spoiler

https://www.kdramastars.com/articles/131111/20230904/ahn-eun-jin-return-my-dearest-part-2-namgoong-min-hint-concern-female-lead.htm

Along with his line as Lee Jang Hyuk, the top star wrote a heartbreaking message from Jang Hyuk to Yoo Gil Chae.

"You hated me to death the day you left me for eternity. No matter how much I look at it, I don't feel like hating it."

In addition, Namgoong Min mentioned Ahn Eun Jin's character as he teased fans with the upcoming part 2.
"Thank you all for your love, care, and concern. Haha I will return it with a beautiful love story between Jang Hyun and Gil Chae."

I can understand the fans feelings. I love Lee Chung Ah and am always wishing for her and NGM to reunite properly in a romance. But for this drama , I am so invested in GC and JH's love story that it would be a complete whiplash if they change the narrative midway. Anyway, the trajectory for the lead's romance is far from over. We are after all only midway through the show.  In fact in an article this is what the producer has said about Part 2

Spoiler

In Part 1, I  tried to represent the pain of the people who lived at a difficult time through the separation of the protagonists who could not be together.

In Part 2, which is nearing the end of production, the story is expected to expand with the unique background of Joseon and the Qing Dynasty and the appearance of new characters. It focuses on the process of escape and repatriation of people who were taken to the Qing Dynasty during the Manchu War, and also deals with the confusion after the war that was not seen in other dramas or movies set in the same era.

Nam Goong Min and Ahn Eun-jin will soon be caught up in a whirlwind of fate that coincides with the times and reunite unexpectedly.

Not only Ji Seung-hyun and Lee Cheong-ah, but also Moon Seong-geun as Jang Cheol and So Yoo-jin as So Yong Jo have appeared as new characters, adding to the dynamism between the characters.

Can't wait for Part 2 which is supposed to air 20th October ( rumoured) 

• Like 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

• 2 weeks later...

I watched episode 5 last night, but could only make it through one episode because I was mentally exhausted from work this week. Progressing really slow. Yeon Joon, seriously... you'd think after experiencing the first battle, he would have woken up from his high horse and "dream". *Roll eyes*

I am definitely Team Jang Hyun because I'm just not the kind of person that'd fight/die for a king / president. I only fight for my belief and loved ones. The royalties are untrustworthy and don't even know my existence. Putting so much faith in a king is just plain stupid. The books could teach us a lot of things, but we have a brain, use it to think too. I guess this is true to Asian Confucian kind of teaching.

@abs-oluteM They have an air date for S2!

• Party! 1
3 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

@abs-oluteM They have an air date for S2!

Yes. So excited.

YJ irritated me ....not once did I have 2nd lead syndrome. But he will have some character growth after the war. 

New poster for Part 2

AKR20230913109700005_01_i_P4.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, mademoiselle said:

But I couldn't care less about him, growth or no growth. I didn't care about Ashley in Gone with the Wind either. At least I know I'm consistent all these years :laugh:.

He will become rather insignificant in his role here. I think there's a slight difference for Gil Chae , once she gets over YJ she doesn't look back. Also GC's character write up say she almost got married twice. The first one was that guy who died in the war...the 2nd one , you will see later. 

• Haha 1

Just now, abs-oluteM said:

He will become rather insignificant in his role here. I think there's a slight difference for Gil Chae , once she gets over YJ she doesn't look back. Also GC's character write up say she almost got married twice. The first one was that guy who died in the war...the 2nd one , you will see later. 

Yeah, I expected it. The two kept missing out on the timing to get together. The irony of these two is that Jang Hyun had always liked Gil Chae but he doesn't have the intention to marry anybody and stupidly just teases her. Much like the movie. The second time was really pure missed timing in both drama and movie. I kinda know what happened in the drama — the second one was because she wanted to take care of her dementia father and the younger brother. This is similar to the original where Scarlett only marries her second husband for survival. The husband was going to marry her sister but she intercepted knowing well that if she lets her sister marries him, her sister wouldn't take care of their family. LOL. In this one, I suspect there's no other sister so it plays out a little differently but the "structure" is there. The thing I don't know is where did the story end in season 1.

Have you seen the movie? Or did you only read the sypnosis/plot summary?

Don't know how far this writer intends to use Gone With The Wind's plot... I pitied Rhett at the near end because he thinks Scarlett never love him, and he got tired of waiting. But in context and storyline, if My Dearest follows suit, I'd love seeing Namgoong Min acts out this scenario and the emotions. Gone's characters were so compelling on screen. The ending of this movie really leaves much to desire, my initial reaction was 😱 when I got to the end of the movie—in memory, I think that's also my first ever open ending movie! So it was especially memorable for me.

Rhett is totally @Chocolate 's style of male lead... the forceful and roughness with his lady *roar**ahem*

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Episode 7

Aww man, I can't believe she ran back and did not see him fighting all those Machurians! Did he really contracted smallpox? He didn't develop rash and coughing blood is not a smallpox symptom. Did he perhaps contracted tuberculosis?

Aish, these two are a bit dap dap hae. Not honest with one another and keep teasing and testing the water. Jang Hyun should have been honest he was the one fighting 17 men. Gil Chae, sigh, what can I say... she embodies Scarlett, it took Scarlett forever to realise her feelings! 😮‍💨

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1

I'm on episode 9. Yay to her realising her feelings for Jang Hyun earlier than Scarlett did. Gil Chae and Jang Hyun are very similar in this aspect, which they were willing to withstand judgement and criticisms, and be misunderstood by people for survival. With Gil Chae thinking Jang Hyun has died and realising she loves Jang Hyun, this part has deviated from Gone with the Wind's plot. Scarlett never realised she loves Rhett until after they were married. Also, when she was poor, she went to borrow money from Rhett. But Rhett didn't have flowing cash, and he was in jail at the time. Once he got out, he was going to lend her money, but she went off and married her second husband. The plot such as Gil Chae taking over the blacksmith business and about to marry to another man is still similar in this aspect.

I like the bit where he was drunk, sees Gil Chae and deeply missing her. I felt his sorrow. Well done, Namgoong Min.

As for Yeon Joon, I don't even want to say anything anymore. Sigh. I couldn't care less with this character. He's so high almighty but useless.

Argh, I'm at the part where Jang Hyun arriving at Joseon, but Gil Chae has just received the marriage proposal!

The Crown Prince didn't look well inside the mannequin. What happened?

• Heart Eyes 1

I'm done with episode 10! 🥳🥂

I think this episode is the best in terms of emotions and pain. Both scenes of Gil Chae with Jang Hyun and Ryung Eum with Jang Hyun were so impactful. It was so heartbreaking, yet so enjoyable and satisfying!

I must admit, there were definitely some parts of this drama that I wasn't engrossed in, especially the war and the time Jang Hyun spent at Simyang. It's not the drama, I think I'm just not in the right mood for heavy storyline such as war. I was also getting frustrated and tired of the missed timing between Gil Chae and Jang Hyun. So I was glad that she realised she loves him, and eventually this pent-up emotions reached its highest peak in this episode.

I understand and respect Gil Chae's decision to stay behind. I just wish she would give Jang Hyun a better explanation. Let him know the real reason. There were just way too many misunderstanding between them as is, and there's no need to add one more. That said, Jang Hyun is rich, he and Gil Chae can send some silver or gold over from time to time to her family, can't they? Eun Ae and Yeon Joon will take care of them as long as they have money.

Can't believe the lovebirds are separated again for two more years. And this time, Gil Chae would most definitely be married, no? And then widowed later, so she can marry Jang Hyun (if the plot follows Gone with the Wind again).

Sucks that the show didn't give us a preview. I'm done, @abs-oluteM! I made it!

• Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 1

@mademoiselle More angst...:nervous:

Narration by JH

"Isn't it strange? That on a night when the moon is so bright, I'm with u. I don't know where it all went wrong. Was it when I left u back at Namhan Fortress? Was it when I left u and came to Simyang? Or maybe it was when u abandoned me."

Credit: https://x.com/BluKimchiKdrama/status/1707788637725708793?s=20

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

New teaser with subs

https://x.com/gongjicheois/status/1709383831869141412?s=46

Looks like GC is sent to Qin as a slave. LCA’s character won’t want another woman to have JH. GC in danger but tells JH not to intervene. JH says,  no. He’ll do whatever he wants . 😭 Yup, he’s gonna save her 

• Like 1

Oooh... angst and lots of it... Yay.

But... what why is she in Qing? Where's that man she was supposed to marry? Oooh... Lee Chung-ah is a Qing noblewoman.

So many questions... In eager anticipation.

• Like 1
  • Party! 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

I've started this drama yesterday. Now on ep.8... I could binge it fast only because I basically ffwd all the scenes without one or both of our leads :laugh: Yes, I cheated... Never a fan of palace politics and war stuff. I'm only here for the romance. 

Some memorable scenes for me:

- When GC was running with the royal baby. Excellent acting there! Though AEJ has been really amazing throughout the drama. Another eg. was when she had to kill a person.

- When JH, not caring about his undercover role, fought 1 to 17 to save GC

I have to say though that some of the editing for scenes with our leads is bothering me, but no big deal... just feeling a bit what-a-pity for such great production with the other "big" scenes, ie. the battles etc. 

On 8/29/2023 at 3:15 PM, Chocolate said:

Poor NGM, did he really carry all those women lol?

I worry not at all... He's got all the arm muscles needed to do so :yayaya:

• Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

@ktcjdrama You're in time for Part 2!! 

----

Yay...trailer with subs . I cannot wait...but poor Gil Chae - she's really suffering. Do you all think she got married? Maybe not given how she ended up like this. :nervous: But her hair is done in a way typical of married women of that time.

• Like 1

Another teaser 🥹

Some translation from this handle:

https://x.com/sashsq14/status/1711921376683270451?s=20

JH: This time, I lost it forever.

Some other person: Everyone is disappearing like they never existed.

JH: I missed you so much I could die."

GC: I have never become a captive so let me down right now, right now!

JH: Why did you come here?

GC: Help me.

JH: Please go safely.

Janghyun says something along the lines of "if it becomes known you escaped, they will light fire in their eyes and find you;  so we must cross the river."

Source: https://x.com/sashsq14/status/1711933922073051306?s=20

• Like 1

I love the way this drama tells the romance. Especially love seeing the character growth in GC. I cried so many times watching her faced and solved each of the problems that come her way. I do hope AEJ gets some kind of award/recognition for her role as GC here. She is killing it left and right!

Still skipping a lot of the politics scenes. But the ending of ep.9, when he's back and chanced upon her engagement(?)... Gosh, what a timing!! The way both of them looked at each other in shock. I want to jump straight to 10, but it has to wait coz RL calling... sigh...

Teasers for part 2 look intense :nervous: 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love