My Dearest/ Lovers 연인 [2023]

abs-oluteM

Just watch this lovely tan made teaser - this show is gonna be epic !!!

NGM is so cheeky :laugh:

Press con photos 

Spoiler

Spoiler

AEJ calls NGM sunbaenim ! 😀

NGM is the big wig here but I can tell from the way she handles herself in the interviews & the way she’s delivering her expressions in the teasers, she can definitely hold her own . 

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

I believe from spoilers, they will move the romance very quickly because they will then focus on the war . Can’t wait to watch this afterwards 

I am cracking up at this scene 🤣🤣- when she fell off the swing 

Preview - eps 2

• Like 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

It was a great 1st episode with lovely cinematography. What stabbed my heart was the opening scene - with a bloody  Jang Hyun who’s likely gone mad . That will be the reality this story will arrive at . So sad ending is likely🥲

I will recap a bit tomorrow when I have time 

Preview eps 3

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

It was a great 1st episode with lovely cinematography. What stabbed my heart was the opening scene - with a bloody  Jang Hyun who’s likely gone mad . That will be the reality this story will arrive at . So sad ending is likely🥲

Oh no! Sad ending? 😨

I haven't watched yet but find the FL a bit young for NGM. Hope they look good together.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Chocolate said:

Oh no! Sad ending? 😨

I haven't watched yet but find the FL a bit young for NGM. Hope they look good together.

This kind of Sageuk  can have sad ending. But who knows . The more they show at the start , the more of a red herring that could be. I am ok with sad ending if well developed & logical. 

The actress is in her 30s but does have  baby face. She’s a good actress and very expressive. She suits this rôle perfectly. 

Both their characters are hilarious- not your usual goody two shoes type characters. She can be conceited, sly if she has to be and will do anything to find her own happiness ( translation: husband 🤣) . She comes from a good family , so had a good life . Known in the village as the 9 tailed fox - a flirt . Girls don’t like her but she knows how to charm the guys. But there’s also this ingenuousness  & openness to her which he is drawn to.

He’s not the usual  nice guy . He’s very worldly , made his own money doing a lot of questionable business 😆. A bit of a thug & good with talking ( or conning 😂) . Good friends with powerful brothel owner. He’s also a flirt- well known as someone who can’t commit to marriage . Rumours has it that he can’t perform down there . She finds him an interesting character as he shows her the ways of the world 😛😛

Their interactions are such a hoot . Do check out . The premiere episodes are to set the romance quickly as the war , which is the main conflict is looming . 

@40somethingahjumma @ktcjdrama @LaLa will you be watching in real time ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow. What a great looking production. The cinematography looks amazing. There looks to be some political unrest in that episode preview that's been posted. I'm glad that they're taking this project seriously. I note that it's the director from The Veil. The lad who played Gyeong-chan from Shadow Detective looks to be a scholar of sorts. 

@abs-oluteM

Unfortunately I can't start right away. I have a few dramas to get through first as you well know. :D I must be crazy to have taken on half a dozen dramas at one time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

On 8/7/2023 at 5:28 AM, 40somethingahjumma said:

@abs-oluteM

Unfortunately I can't start right away. I have a few dramas to get through first as you well know. :D I must be crazy to have taken on half a dozen dramas at one time.

I am surprised that you're watching as many as you are right now. But when it rains, it pours - I am suddenly swamped with shows I want to watch. Anyway, there's still time to catch up before S2 starts in October.

@Chocolate Sadly Viki is not available for Malaysia - at least where the new dramas are concerned. So I had to use some "alternatives" :D

This had got to be the funniest filmmaking. AEJ felt so bad that NGM had to carry her because it is not as easy as it looks. Age is catching up for him :laugh:

When you do watch the first 2 episodes, must cherish the happy and funny moments. It will be a big contrast to what is going to come. The war is starting and the ladies here are pictured fleeing their village in the middle of winter in the upcoming episodes.

news-p.v1.20230809.05986f246e06489ea4799

• Like 2

19 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

@Chocolate Sadly Viki is not available for Malaysia - at least where the new dramas are concerned. So I had to use some "alternatives" :D

When you do watch the first 2 episodes, must cherish the happy and funny moments. It will be a big contrast to what is going to come. The war is starting and the ladies here are pictured fleeing their village in the middle of winter in the upcoming episodes.

I don't have Viki too and not going to subscribe to another one, on top of the 4 I do have 😅 So I'll watch on "alternatives" too haha.

Have completed the 2 episodes. I like NGM and how he keeps his cool and does not become one of those males trailing after the FL, although he likes/loves her. But I'm kind of sad the writer made him fall on first sight lol! I'm not feeling the chemistry between the two leads currently. Think I will be in this more for the story than the romance.

There's a great article here which summarises the 2 episodes.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
1 hour ago, Chocolate said:

here's a great article here which summarises the 2 episodes.

That was a very good summary and appreciate the bits about the history.

As to Lee Hak Joo's character Yeon Joon , I believe there's attraction on his part to Gil Chae. But I think he has political aspirations and GC doesn't exactly have the best reputation. It won't be easy to tame her. Plus he has decided to care for Eun Ae since she seems like better wife material. Though I am sorry that Eun Ae doesn't realise that it is out of obligation that he will marry her.

I do agree that the chemistry is not the strongest but I do like how different their characters are to the usual ML/FL. This won't be the typical romance given the war that will separate them. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

4 hours ago, Chocolate said:

@abs-oluteM That scene is not funny at all! 😅 Instead it's quite sad 😭 I like that he has backbone - it's clear (probably to her as well) that he likes her. But he doesn't let her lord it over him, the way she lords it over all the other males who chase after her.

I think he’s happy in a way she didn’t say yes. Cause which girl in their right mind would let someone they barely know kiss them 😅. At least he knows she’s got “principles” too . He praised her at the end . 

Gil Chae will have plenty of personal growth thanks to this war. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

On 8/6/2023 at 8:16 PM, abs-oluteM said:

will you be watching in real time ? 

I thought I had replied to you. Turned out that I haven’t 😅 

I will watch this, but probably will not start so soon since there’s the 2nd part in October. Will time it somehow so that the wait is not too long. I really am not good with this 2 parts format. Like I cannot even work out motivation (yet) to watch First Responders.

• Like 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

I saw a cut on weibo, FL called NGM "Husband" when he was about to be attacked. That intrigued me 😆 coz it gives me the whole "they might be married but still need to develop love for one another" scenario. Someone please give me more context why she's calling him "So-bang nim" hahaha!

From a quick read above and Shalini's article, the characters and plot or character set up reminds me largely of Gone with the Wind. FL is like Scarlett O' Hara, NGM being Rhett Butler. Scarlett thinks she loves Ashley who was attracted to Scarlett but decided to marry Melanie. There was war with the South at the time and here we have the Qing invasion.

Joseon will lose this war and many women were captured to Qing as comfort women. Some of them will return (called the Returning Lady) but not being accepted back by their in-law or family and the society. It was a tragic period for all the women. I learned about this history the first time in Poong and then later Kim Hee Sun played one in Tomorrow. Both tells the stories from different angles and it will be interesting how this drama will tell this part of the story. In Tomorrow, Lee Soo Hyuk slayed people for badmouthing Kim Hee Sun, so could NGM be doing the same because they badmouthed the FL?

FL, if really being written like Scarlett, she will thrive to live through all these hardships even if she is a Returning Lady. Scarlett has 3 marriage. Rhett was her last.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Insightful 1

Eps 3 Gil Chae has plenty of growing up to do. She wasn't particularly likeable in episode 3. Jang Hyun called her out for it saying that with them going to war, all she thinks of is getting YJ. She manipulated things by using the other guy to get YJ jealous and it backfired on her. YJ was affected but he decided to go ahead with his marriage to  EunChae. Jang Hyun was right that YJ is a practical man who would not marry GC who's got such a reputation. 

But JH who's already very much attracted to GC felt bad for her when she cried realising her plans didn't work. Behind the scenes he offered the men of the village arms/ military goods with a condition. The condition is that no marriages should take place before they go to war since the women would likely become widows and that would be difficult for them. While this was seen as very thoughtful of Jang Hyun, he was doing this primarily for Gil Chae's sake. JH also gave her a knife and instructions on what to do if the village gets invaded as he knows the Mongolian soldiers ( who work for the Qin army) are savages who would go after the women). She scoffed in naivety thinking that the men of the village ( who aren't trained soldiers) would be able to stop this and save their king. But little does she know , he's saving her life in advance.

That said, I don't hate GC. This is her character arc and she will go through much growth with this war. She does get a lot of flak for being conceited & conniving but the flip side is that it makes her a quick thinker and survivor. She will be able to bring these ladies to safety as she was quick to cover the tracks in the pre-released here. If anything she's pretty resilient and deep down has a good heart.

I have a feeling the young singer who accompanies JH likes him. Of course it's taboo in those times  to love another man...but he seems affected seeing how enamoured JH is with GC.

@mademoiselle Up to eps 3, it is not yet a marriage. I will let you know why she called him such when I watch eps 4. Come watch..I like this show a lot. 

• Like 1

Okay , I see what you mean @mademoiselle ...he had just saved her here. She had called  him my dear . As her good friend, Eun Chae had pointed out before, GC actually is subconsciously attracted to JH. When the news of the war broke out in eps 2, the first person that Gil Chae turned towards was Jang Hyun. Eun Chae says that shows that GC trusts JH and looks to him for strength.

Yes, GC's character growth that I have been waiting for 

• Like 1

@abs-oluteM I will pick it up if it continues to be good 😊. I'm hesitating to start now because of the split season and a big gap between the end of S1 and beginning of S2. When they do that to a story with continuation, I have difficulty remembering the details from previous season and it really ruins the viewing pleasure (side-eyeing The Witcher right now). Also a little bit burnt by NGM's drama choices from the past too, but I think this one might redeem it. Hahaha! Is @Chocolate watching now?

Hmm, so they are not married but she's calling him So-bang nim. Why?

• Haha 2
12 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

@abs-oluteM I will pick it up if it continues to be good 😊. I'm hesitating to start now because of the split season and a big gap between the end of S1 and beginning of S2. When they do that to a story with continuation, I have difficulty remembering the details from previous season and it really ruins the viewing pleasure (side-eyeing The Witcher right now). Also a little bit burnt by NGM's drama choices from the past too, but I think this one might redeem it. Hahaha! Is @Chocolate watching now?

Hmm, so they are not married but she's calling him So-bang nim. Why?

Except for Awakening, the rest of his shows were okay. Hahahaha ...maybe my bias kicked in. I think I am one of the few who persevered through all the weak writing. But here I have to say his eye-acting is on another level. He has a questionable background and character, but so attractive. Anyway, you can binge later as the second season starts in Oct. This first 10 episodes will end first week of Sept.

I believe @Chocolate is watching. 

------------------------------------------------

Loved episode 4. It was not an easy watch because the war scenes were done quite realistically. I teared up when JH found the dead bodies of the old couple that had served him.  I could feel the fear of the villagers especially  GC , EC and their maids as they tried to escape . 

Also, here I felt like my patience with GC being a spoilt maiden was justified. When it mattered, she proved she was the stronger & more resilient person. If anyone is going to survive this war on wit alone, it would be her. From a sheltered young lady whose days were filled with sewing , daydreaming and in her case scheming to secure the man of her dreams, she became a heroine in the eyes of the viewer. She covered their tracks, birthed a baby ( man, this is not easy believe me), scavenged for things to keep them all warm, killed a man to protect her friend. Her character growth was nothing short of awesome.  And perhaps I am bias, but AEJ did a great job and this is also the sentiment I am getting from the Naver articles.  Just like her previous roles , she's good at choosing characters with layers. 

Jang Hyung is written very much to be an anti-hero sort of character. He had no wish to be part of the army unlike the other men who were patriotic ( and naive). But now he's got a very strong reason to go after these intruders with the death of the old couple whom he loved. NGM is very charismatic in this role. Just see his eyes - they tell a story. He's an opportunist of sorts but he's also cynical of things. As much as he likes GC and makes that clear , he gives her space and doesn't push her.

This is a political drama but the romance is central to the plot. I was initially thinking that they would have fallen in love before the war. But you know, I am actually pleased that the romance is blossoming in the middle of  the bloodshed and brutality. It doesn't soften the harshness of the war but it gives you a glimmer of hope in troubling times. Plus,  this is just the sort of angst that melodrama lovers like me crave for. :D

• Clapping Hands 2

Must find a way to watch this tonight as there’s so much development between them. 

Some spoilers from tonight 

He’s never gonna stop teasing her 🤣🤣

JH getting his priorities right every time . 😅😅. Despite the danger they are constantly in, he’s always thinks of her