A Journey to Love 一念关山 [2023]

Tofu

1 hour ago, OsmanthusTea said:

But I'm glad that in the end he listened to Papa NYZ and Mama Ruyi

Yes! He even called Yuanzhou shifu and touzi. Haha!

I think that's a really good interpretation of the ending and one I much preferred. If Chu Yue is in the meadow, wouldn't that mean that she also passed on like everyone else? Maybe not until ten years later though since there's that time jump. 

In an alternative universe, they are all together. Ning Yuanzhou and Ren Ruyi have their twins or babies like planned. Yuan Lu is healthy, Sun Lang is surrounded by his fluffy animal friends, Qian Ziao has his own pharmacy, and Yu Shisan is still living his best life. 

Regardless of the ending, this drama is still my favorite from Chinese dramaland this year. Yu Shisan is arguably my favorite character. I hope this drama give Fang Yilun the opportunity to have better scripts in the future. Chen You Wei (Yuan Lu) is reunited with Liu Shishi in her next drama (Fox Spirt Matchmaker). Li Tongguang looks nice in costume drama despite being such a torn to me in this drama (LOL!). I hope to see Chang Hua Sen in more costume dramas in maybe a green flag role next time. 

Now what? What drama are we going to watch next? :laugh:

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Tofu said:

Even though I might have cried during some of the scenes from the last couple of episodes, I'm not upset about the outcome. It's one of those where I wished it could have been different, but I'm ok with what we got too.

@Tofu Based on the premise of the story, I knew going into it that we'd likely get this kind of ending. Same as you though, I just hope that possibly it could be different. So, I'm sad but not upset at all. I watched a few more episodes last night (at ep 25) and luckily, I found my enjoyment isn't affected by knowing the outcome. I think the journey and everything in between counts here. The love - whether it be romantic, friendship, brotherhood - shared by the characters is wonderfully portrayed in the story. That, even in death, I don't think can be taken away.

Plus, I'll continue to enjoy it for LSS and LYN. I admire LYN as a singer. He always nails the OSTs. I'm glad my first drama of his is this one because I can't imagine someone else portraying NYZ. I hope he gets more good ML roles.

I did see some clips of the ending including one of CY encountering a boy in the fields. Real or not, I'll take it because I wanted to see their wish of having children come true. (I like the actor playing the boy. He was so good in My Journey to You as Tong Zi.)

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

@OsmanthusTea You might be on your own with that one. Haha! I'm not a fan of sci-fi. I watched two episodes of The Last Immortal and might continue it once they release the remaining airing schedule. They only released the airing schedule it up to episode 20 for some reason. Xianxia goes through too many lifetime, so I don't want to completely pick it up until more episodes are out. I want to be able to skip. LOL!

3 hours ago, peperomia said:

I'm glad my first drama of his is this one because I can't imagine someone else portraying NYZ. I hope he gets more good ML roles.

This is a good first Liu Yuning drama. After The Long Ballad, I didn't watch him in his other dramas. I tried Heroes, but I'm not the biggest fan of the female lead so I couldn't get into it. I was looking forward to his drama, The Prisoner of Beauty, but the female lead got into some legal trouble (tax evasion), so it's unclear if we will ever see that drama. He is currently filming with Zhao Lusi. Both of them were previously paired together in The Long Ballad, so this will be their second project together. I'm hoping their storyline is more interesting than it was in The Long Ballad (in TLB, it started out really slow and at one point I couldn't understand what purpose their characters had in the drama). 

3 hours ago, peperomia said:

I like the actor playing the boy. He was so good in My Journey to You as Tong Zi.

I like him too and he's improved a lot. I first saw him in The Heart of Genius and while he was good, you can noticeably tell Fu Bo Han is superior to him in acting. 

Aww...they are so cute! I hope they participate in another drama in the future!

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
On 12/19/2023 at 4:58 PM, Tofu said:

He is currently filming with Zhao Lusi. Both of them were previously paired together in The Long Ballad, so this will be their second project together. I'm hoping their storyline is more interesting than it was in The Long Ballad (in TLB, it started out really slow and at one point I couldn't understand what purpose their characters had in the drama). 

Good to know. I like Zhao Lusi so I look forward to his project with her.

I like him too and he's improved a lot. I first saw him in The Heart of Genius and while he was good, you can noticeably tell Fu Bo Han is superior to him in acting. 

Fu Bo Han is another good young actor. I know him from Who Rules the World and A Date With the Future.

Aww...they are so cute! I hope they participate in another drama in the future!

I'm at ep 28. So, I saw Yang Ying and Yuan Lu's rooftop scene! I understand why they're so shippable now.

I read some viewer comments wanting a modern version of A Journey to Love (similar to Scarlet Heart). Chances are slim, but it would be nice for these two to have their happy ending in an alternate story or just star in a completely different project works too.

I also read some comments that there'll be a sequel to A Journey to Love called A Journey to Glow. I'm not good with this kind of news so if anyone hears anything concrete about it, please let me know!

1 hour ago, Tofu said:

A Journey to Love Fashion Show, hahaha!

As expected, Qian Zhao still isn't smiling and Shi San is so extra! LOL.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
13 hours ago, peperomia said:

I also read some comments that there'll be a sequel to A Journey to Love called A Journey to Glow. I'm not good with this kind of news so if anyone hears anything concrete about it, please let me know!

Glow as in the glowing meadow at the end? :lmao2:

I wouldn't know what the sequel could be about because it was a sad ending for all the characters except Li Tongguang and Yang Ying. 

This fan edit video was really nice. @SilverMoonTea You can just watch this to know how the main couple ends. LOL!

• Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

@Tofu LOL. Given the ending, I have no clue what the sequel could be about either. Story could be about Yang Ying and LTG, or a story with completely new set of characters but maybe with ties to AJtL. According to the MDL page, the Chinese title for A Journey to Glow is 一念江南, which I can't read/understand all the characters. When I see my mom, I might ask her for her thoughts about it. Anyway, if anyone happens to hear anything about it, please let me know. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, peperomia said:

@Tofu LOL. Given the ending, I have no clue what the sequel could be about either. Story could be about Yang Ying and LTG, or a story with completely new set of characters but maybe with ties to AJtL. According to the MDL page, the Chinese title for A Journey to Glow is 一念江南, which I can't read/understand all the characters. When I see my mom, I might ask her for her thoughts about it. Anyway, if anyone happens to hear anything about it, please let me know. 

I read that A Journey to Glow aka 一念江南 isn't related to AJTL. It's a totally different drama, if my memory didn't fail me the script is from the same writer hence people assumed that it's a sequel. I think the main character is a female thief?? Logically with everyone ended up dead, what kind of story can they write in the sequel? Xianxia? With their live as immortal?? :PsyWhat:

While I love YY-LTG tandem, I don't think it needs 20-40 eps to tell their story since they are the endgame. Despite no romantic love between them in the beginning, they do have mutual affection,respect and common life goal plus they fill each other voids, which is way better than simply love between man and woman....sometimes. Look at what happened to YY's lover boy and LTG's love for his Shifu...:HaunterOK: LTG admires her guts and feels a great sense of responsibility toward her, while YY takes her role as LTG's and Regent's wife plus a sister of an Emperor seriously. These 2 will stay together and get along famously until they get bury side by side.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

@OsmanthusTea Thanks for the info on A Journey to Glow. I agree it being a sequel to AJtL does not make sense. I read viewers are split on the interpretation of the ending. I've only seen a few clips of it, but my conclusion is they did not miraculously survive.

I'm on ep 30 so I haven't gotten to the part of  YY and LTG's marriage yet, but that is an interesting point of view of their relationship. 

• Like 4

It’s Christmas Eve in my part of the world and I just finished this…ep 35 through 40. Although I’m an emotional wreck, I enjoyed every second of it. Now…did I wish for different kind of ending? Of course, but I loved that it gave me the feeling and nostalgia of the old wuxia stories that I used to watch with my dad. He would’ve really liked this one as all the characters possess tremendous heart and righteousness, 有情有義. Liu Dao Tong heroes and Ruyi courageously defended the central plains and touched the hearts of many – even the highest courts of Wu and An. I believe those whom they saved won’t let their sacrifices be in vain and will carry out their honor. I hope it is evident in how the new emperors rule and maintain peace/stability for their people. Excellent drama and I will definitely rewatch some of the happier parts.

On 12/22/2023 at 4:55 PM, Tofu said:

He is the best! I was sobbing when he was talking about how he's the best runner. :letalQQ:

Ugh, me too! :pandasad: His part rocked me the hardest.

Spoiler

At the very least, I'm glad Yang Ying will always carry Yuan Lu's amulet with her and Ruyi used his thunder bombs on Bei Pan. She got her personal revenge and paved the way for Wu/An to win the remaining battles. 

Edited by peperomia
  • Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

I listened to a final review of the drama by AvenueX which was pretty good. In case anyone would be interested in it, I’m linking it here:

Spoiler

• There were 2 things that surprised me:
    • The heavy criticism that LYN received about his looks. How sad...and what's wrong with some people? He might not be as handsome as FYL, but he’s still a good-looking man to me (especially when he’s sings live). I like the little mole underneath his eye. LOL.
    • The claim that Ruyi’s character was weak by the final cut of the script. On the contrary, I thought her ruthlessness was well-balanced by her kind nature. I mean, toward the end, both Ruyi and NYZ’s fighting ability was weak from sustaining back-to-back internal injuries. This would’ve been a good reason for them to retire and live out the rest of their lives peacefully after the mission, but since we got the opposite outcome, perhaps it was an early sign they weren't going to make it.
  • I loved the music as well – both the songs and the instrumental pieces. Aside from LYN’s OSTs, I really liked the songs sung by Richie Ren and Zhang Jie. They complimented the martial arts scenes.
  • My favorite character was also YY. So proud of her. AvenueX’s next favorite was YSS. Mine would be Ruyi, NYZ, then YSS.
  • I didn’t notice the pacing issues, but I can see how certain things were out of place/rushed toward the end. I was fine with the amount of time spent on tying-up of the court politics though. I didn’t care too much for the royals other than YY so I have no complaints.
  •  When I previously said that I enjoyed every second of the last 6 episodes, I might’ve gotten a little carried away. LOL. I was disappointed with one thing…LTG’s arc and AvenueX nailed exactly why. In writing his character, it did seem like there were too many cooks in the kitchen. His development was a stark difference from YY which was odd. However, I don’t agree that NYZ saving LTG was out of character. I think he would’ve done it whether LTG was regent of An or not.
Edited by peperomia
  • Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

@peperomia To be honest, I stopped watching AvenueX's videos a long time ago because, at the time, she was very negative about a lot of things and her views typically did not reflect mine. I'm always surprised when she has something positive to say about a drama, because that's the impression I came to have of her -- only talking about the negatives and what she disliked. Personally, negative talks to me is draining and I think that's one of the biggest contributors as to why I stopped.  

I don't think I understood the magnitude of how much criticisms Liu Yuning received about his looks. I saw a few things here and there, but suddenly it was everywhere to the point where he was addressing it on his live streams and in interviews. I can't imagine what it feels like to have to address this type of criticism every single time he's in something. These are the types of comments that will send someone into a state of depression. Ning Yuanzhou is someone who is heavily skilled in what he does. He was an assassin, if he's too handsome, he'll stand out too much. I don't remember seeing photos of past generals/commanders that were handsome. God cannot give you both assets that would be unfair to everyone else! :laugh:

I thought Ruyi had a nice balance to her as well. At the end, they both sustained multiple injuries traveling back and forth between An and Wu. To me, it also seemed like this journey was going to be their last one before they retired. The human body can only hold up for so long. 

13 hours ago, peperomia said:

My favorite character was also YY. So proud of her. AvenueX’s next favorite was YSS. Mine would be Ruyi, NYZ, then YSS.

I really liked Yu Shisan and he is arguably my favorite character from Chinese dramaland this year. However, I thought that Yang Ying's character growth was one of my absolute favorite in all the dramas I watched. I love that her growth was done gradually and that you can visibly see it. Honestly, I think all the main characters in this drama was written really well except for Li Tongguang. 

I agreed that I wished his character growth was similar to Yang Ying's. With every passing episodes, I found myself wishing for more out of him, but it never really truly got there. When it kind of did at the end, I felt it was a bit too late. I also agreed that I think Yuanzhou saving him at the end was something Yuanzhou would have done regardless. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
7 hours ago, Tofu said:

To be honest, I stopped watching AvenueX's videos a long time ago because, at the time, she was very negative about a lot of things and her views typically did not reflect mine. I'm always surprised when she has something positive to say about a drama, because that's the impression I came to have of her -- only talking about the negatives and what she disliked. Personally, negative talks to me is draining and I think that's one of the biggest contributors as to why I stopped. 

I hear ya. I like her attention to details, but I totally agree her views typically tend to be on the negative side. Surprisingly, this one was overall positive, which is why I dared to include it here. LOL. I’m glad despite some issues, she still views this as the best period C-drama of this year.

7 hours ago, Tofu said:

I don't think I understood the magnitude of how much criticisms Liu Yuning received about his looks. I saw a few things here and there, but suddenly it was everywhere to the point where he was addressing it on his live streams and in interviews. I can't imagine what it feels like to have to address this type of criticism every single time he's in something. These are the types of comments that will send someone into a state of depression.

Poor guy! 😥 So unfair. It's definitely bad if he's personally addressing them. I've seen comments praising him too. At least, I hope he sees these.

7 hours ago, Tofu said:

I really liked Yu Shisan and he is arguably my favorite character from Chinese dramaland this year. However, I thought that Yang Ying's character growth was one of my absolute favorite in all the dramas I watched. I love that her growth was done gradually and that you can visibly see it.

YSS is one of the most unique characters. I like his mottos. One of them being that we should live life to its fullest. His elegance, playful nature and carefree aura sometimes remind me of Gu Long’s Chu Liu Xiang. At the same time, I think he has deep emotions kept hidden inside. Maybe because of the death and destruction he’s seen as part of his position. I remember when NYZ almost died, he told Ruyi that he would likely meet NYZ in the underworld in a few years anyway. Knowing life could be short, he probably chooses to live cheerfully (even romantically).

It's hard to pick favorites really. I chose Ruyi and NYZ before YSS because I like them individually and as a power couple but also because of their influence on YY’s growth and maturity. Ruyi taught her to be a strong/independent woman while NYZ helped her realize her responsibilities/duties as royalty. But, I know YY wouldn't have come so far without her own potential and will. You are right that her gradual development was clear and visible.

7 hours ago, Tofu said:

Honestly, I think all the main characters in this drama was written really well except for Li Tongguang. 

I agree. The writer also did a great job of mixing up the characters' ages. The storytelling worked by blending the more mature adults with the younger ones together. Just maybe not LTG. LOL.

- - - - - - - -

I love this! :hearties:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

@peperomia I'm glad I'm not the only one who's still keeping up with the things coming out post-airing. This drama was my favorite from Chinese dramaland this year. :heart:

LYN and FYL talking about the ending is all of us. That was not a journey to love! Hahahaha! 

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...