3rd Anniversary - The Love Triangle

stroppyse

The Love Triangle is a common plot device, definitely in rom-coms, but also in other genres. I'm honestly not sure whether I like them or not. More often than not, I feel sorry for the 2nd lead who tries so hard and yet doesn't get much of a second look from the person that they desire. I don't really get SLS (second lead syndrome) really, but I do feel badly for the person who is left out

These are some memorable love triangles for me.

Love In The Moonlight' Extends Success On Philippine TV; Park Bo Gum  Responds To Fan's Tweet

'Love in the Moonlight' starring Park Bo Gum as Lee Yeong, Kim Yoo Jung as Hong Ra On, and Jin Young as Kim Yoon Sung. Lee Yeong is the young Joseon prince who learns to love the smart, pretty and feisty commoner Hong Ra On. However, the nobleman Kim Yoon Sung is the one who recognizes how special Hong Ra On is first, not to mention seeing through her disguise as a court eunuch. KYS tries so hard to be supportive for HRO, but the inevitable OTP means that KYS will never get the girl. There is a grim consolation prize in that he gets to die in HRO's arms, but in the rushed ending, it didn't feel as if his companions kept him in their hearts much.

'LITM' also had the dubious honor of having another love triangle develop with LY at the center when his intended bride Jo Ha Yeon (played by Chae Soo Bin) shows up as a contender for LY's affections versus HRO. I actually felt bad for JHY because she just didn't even have a chance or a clue.

Review – Tomorrow's Cantabile / Naeil's Cantabile | subtitledreams

'Naeil's Cantabile' starring Joo Won as Cha Yoo Jin, Shim Eun Kyung as Seol Nae Il, and Park Bo Gum as Lee Yoon Hoo. Cha Yoo Jin and Seol Nae Il plays the opposites attract in this drama about musicians at a performing arts school, while Lee Yoon Hoo plays a genius violinist who also falls for Nae Il and wants to help her. This drama was actually pretty middling, but it remains in my mind as the one where I did develop SLS for Lee Yoon Hoo.

Review: Answer Me, 1994 [Reply 1994] - The Fangirl Verdict

'Answer Me 1994' was 1 of the Answer Me series of dramas which all played with the question of who is the OTP. However, 'AM1994' was memorable in that it did the best job of misleading who the OTP was going to be. The love triangle consisted of Sseureki (played by Jung Woo, Sung Na Jung (played by Go Ara), and Chilbong (played by Yoo Yeon Seok). I think it was perhaps because the first kiss was between SNJ and Chilbong and because he played such a classical male lead that it felt as if they could be an OTP. However, the other signals that were coming through between the older brother type Sseureki (I mean seriously, he was nicknamed "Trash") and NJ won out, and poor Chilbong had to settle for being a major league baseballer in America. Oh well.

So, what are some of your memorable love triangles? And, do you even like them or loathe them or don't really care any which way? Let us know!

• Like 1
  • Star Struck 1
  • Clapping Hands 6
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to admit I have complicated relationship with love triangle. Sometimes it could create a great drama with powerful emotional impact, or on the other hand it will just make me super annoyed because I either love the ML or the SML more.

Let's see some scenarios here

1. The ML / FL already in an official relationship and the protagonist actually trying to disturb this balance. 

• Before We Get Married - this drama a bit toxic 😅, but crazy chemistry here. The FL engaged to get married, so do with ML, but the attraction came too strong between them. 

• Lost, Love Affair in The Afternoon - similar genre, trapped in unhappy marriage and the grass on the other side looks greener 😅 Have the best scene of "to kiss or not to kiss", and please just kiss already 😂

2. I either strongly like the ML or the 2nd ML more (it's a dangerous case when it's the later, as almost very rare SML will win). I will just mentioned drama that seriously causing me internally felt chaotic & turbulent 😅

ML rule

Feel Good To Die (the original manhwa ML didn't get the girl, so I seriously worried), Reply 1988 (tbh idk who's the ML, I felt RJY is

SML rule :

My Roommate is A Gumiho, Go Back (it's weird because he's ML in Gumiho but I didn't like him there), Extraordinary You ( I admitted the SML is toxic, but the scene where he appear to announce she's the only woman for him is giving a very strong impression, and love the BGM song too)

Spoiler

3. And this is another special category by itself where the same ML competing between themself lols

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 3

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

1 hour ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Reply 1988 (tbh idk who's the ML, I felt RJY is

LOL. I guess I always thought that Choi Taek was the male lead of Reply 1988 so assumed that he would get the girl. I think the DS and JH did have chemistry, especially given that the actors dated in RL, however, I would have been disappointed if CT and DS weren't together at the end. Especially because the older CT that we see being interviewed never seemed like JH to me.

1 hour ago, SilverMoonTea said:

SML rule :

My Roommate is A Gumiho, Go Back (it's weird because he's ML in Gumiho but I didn't like him there), Extraordinary You ( I admitted the SML is toxic, but the scene where he appear to announce she's the only woman for him is giving a very strong impression, and love the BGM song too)

Ooh, good ones! I agree with you that I liked Jang Ki Yong a lot in Go Back Couple, but I didn't finish My Roommate is a Gumiho even. And, Extraordinary You started my obsession with Lee Jae Wook.

• Like 5
  • Star Struck 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Type A: When the love enemy is yourself

• The Princess & The Werewolf
  • Healer

Type B: Male lead should get the girl but the second or third male lead is great too. Why can't she keep both?

• True Beauty
  • Start-Up
  • Love Like the Galaxy
  • She Was Pretty
  • While You Were Sleeping
  • Revenge Note

In general, not a big fan of love triangles and very rarely I get second lead syndrome. But occasionally, there are some dramas where you just can't dislike the second leads!

Type C: Ok, second lead might be better than the male lead

• Go Back Couple - Jang Ki Young was ❤️
  • Hwarang - sorry, PSJ. 🤣
  • Cheese in the Trap - Seo Kang Joon was ❤️

Type D: Absolutely not SLS

• Do You Like Brahms?
  • A Piece of Your Mind - that damn Ji Soo (AI voice)
  • Temperature of Love
  • The Heirs
  • Extraordinary You

• Haha 4
  • Clapping Hands 4

You guys posted great examples.

For me, one memorable drama came to mind immediately. @SilverMoonTea might have guessed which one is it for me. So much so that whenever I see a drama poster with 3 leads (suggesting a love triangle in store perhaps), I would rather avoid it :laugh:

- The King Loves ~ the drama that sparked so much enmity between viewers from different camps. 

- Oh My Ghostess ~ also ended with quite a bit of strong opposition about the ultimate pairing (which I have no problem with, obviously coz I'm in that team, lol) 

- Moon Lovers Scarlet Heart Ryeo ~  I would say this one is a mild one. It was hard to choose side at first, but as the story developed, it became easy to stand on the "right" side because it is very clear which is the stronger love.

I may add more if I remember others. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

• Cheese in the Trap - Seo Kang Joon was ❤️

Omg how on earth I forgot this 😭 Time do heal the pain 😂 But tbh the drama was in the mess, towards the end it's kind of tiring to see him on that one sided love too... 

6 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

You guys posted great examples.

For me, one memorable drama came to mind immediately. @SilverMoonTea might have guessed which one is it for me. So much so that whenever I see a drama poster with 3 leads (suggesting a love triangle in store perhaps), I would rather avoid it :laugh:

- The King Loves ~ the drama that sparked so much enmity between viewers from different camps. 

Haha I did thinking if ktjdrama will drop by here :laugh:

• Haha 7

10 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Lost, Love Affair in The Afternoon - similar genre, trapped in unhappy marriage and the grass on the other side looks greener 😅 Have the best scene of "to kiss or not to kiss", and please just kiss already 😂

Both shows are just so good ...but so bad of us to root for the cheating pair :laugh:

@ktcjdrama  I will never forget the crazy shipping war on TKL. The first time we had to lock a thread ! 

@mademoiselle I didn't have SLS at all in Go Back Couple and CITT . In the latter, they did do PHJ's character dirty. His scenes were non-existent. Though I didn't fall for SKJ's character then, it was also in this show that I started noticing him and Lee Sung Kyung. And have been their fan ever since. 

-----------------------------

I have 2 memorable ones - A Poem A Day and the Winter Garden ship in Hospital Playlist . I will talk about APAD today.

A Poem of Day. This was one of those rare shows where my dearest oppa Lee Joon Hyuk was the romantic ML. The writer though was very cruel and  played the love triangle to the max. (This was the same writer who wrote Drinking Solo.). There were plenty of heated discussions about who the ML was especially because LJH doesn't appear much in the first few episodes. As LJH's name was listed first , I knew he was the 1st lead. Plus I love his character - typical tsundere but quietly caring and sweet.  It was so cute when he was in love. The 2nd lead was played by Jang Dong Yoon ( I like this actor too) but his character was just immature and rather nasty to the FL. The issue was that audiences felt that JDY's character had more of the classic ML characteristics, and I think he had a bigger fan base.

And even when the writing was on the wall that it was him whom she likes ,  Dr Ye was accused of being boring etc.  I had many "heated discussions" with other viewers about why I think he was the better choice. Yes, I defended him like crazy. It was Ye line all the way for me.  :GrowDerp:

@40somethingahjumma  come share some of your thoughts for this. 

10 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Before We Get Married - this drama a bit toxic 😅, but crazy chemistry here. The FL engaged to get married, so do with ML, but the attraction came too strong between them. 

You need to call @JenL for this :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 4
  • Clapping Hands 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

In the latter, they did do PHJ's character dirty. His scenes were non-existent. Though I didn't fall for SKJ's character then, it was also in this show that I started noticing him and Lee Sung Kyung. And have been their fan ever since. 

I agree. To be honest, CITT was such a mess that I really didn't enjoy watching the second half of it all. And all those moody shots fo SKJ being moody. It really turned me off his character, and I never became a fan of his. I did really appreciate Lee Sung Kyung, however, and have been enjoying her dramas when I do watch them, though her selection process is sometimes suspect.

@ktcjdrama  I will never forget the crazy shipping war on TKL. The first time we had to lock a thread ! 

The shipping wars made me decide not to watch this drama!

A Poem of Day.

Oooh, I had forgotten about the love triangle in this drama. I was Dr. Ye all the way. While I felt for the SML, he was quite immature, though the actor was so good. Too bad about Joseon Exorcist. Anyway, APAD was a lovely drama.

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 5
9 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I will never forget the crazy shipping war on TKL. The first time we had to lock a thread ! 

Locked > unlocked > locked > unlocked, and then locked forever and ever... :laugh:

7 hours ago, stroppyse said:

The shipping wars made me decide not to watch this drama!

The wars had ended. You can safely watch the drama now :smile:

• Haha 8

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

I used to think I detested love triangles on principle but after being in the K drama watching space for a while I came to realise that what I hated was

a) how common it was; just about every show had a love triangle at one point -- what are the odds of two guys falling for the same girl at the same time

b) how it is used purely to generate conflict among people who wouldn't otherwise

c) the way it ignites ship wars which is the worst part. What's even worse is that there isn't even a clear cut romantic thread in the show but half the viewers are rooting for a certain pair of male and female characters to be together when nothing in the storytelling indicates romance

Most drama love triangles are fake... are in the eyes of the beholder... two guys who like the same girl but it's obvious who she's into... except the other guy just can't take "no" for an answer or he has to prove something apparently. For example: When the Camellia Blooms is one that pops into my head immediately. Many of the C dramas have actual love triangles where the object of everybody's affections does like both guys/women for different reasons. Some of the historical shows do it very well often because the central character have different relationships with different men for different reasons. Like Scarlet Heart or The Legend of Hao Lan or Love Like the Galaxy or The Imperial Doctress. The most recent drama with Yang Zi -- Lost You Forever -- does something similar with a reverse harem. 

If the writing is good, I rarely have 2ML syndrome. To me it's usually fairly clear who the endgame is. Hana Yori Dango was the first time I could remember that I actually didn't root for the so-called 1stML. Partly it's because I don't like MatsuJun very much in anything I've seen him in but the character was just awful especially in S2. @abs-oluteM mentioned A Poem a Day. I came late to that one. But the younger male lead in that one was pretty woeful too. I'm surprised that anyone rooted for him. He denigrated the FL in public and acted like a tantrum throwing toddler a lot of the time. The guy can barely look after himself. I'm glad Lee Joon-hyuk got the girl regardless of whether he's the first or second male lead because he was the first one to appreciate her and support her professionally. The other time I rooted for the so-called 2ML is in Homecha which is surprising because the natural inclination is to stand with Kim Seon-ho but I never thought the leads were a good fit even though the chemistry is obviously good. Personally I thought the writing for the show was weak.

But the weirdest thing that ever happened to me in all my years of watching K dramas were the ship wars in Hospital Playlist. I still don't entirely know what happened there. It's as if a group of people made up their own version of the drama and forced everyone by sheer persistence to see something that wasn't there. It is a fascinating phenomenon sociologically but to be in the middle of a ship war over a love triangle that didn't even exist was an entirely foreign experience. 

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

19 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

But the weirdest thing that ever happened to me in all my years of watching K dramas were the ship wars in Hospital Playlist. I still don't entirely know what happened there. It's as if a group of people made up their own version of the drama and forced everyone by sheer persistence to see something that wasn't there. It is a fascinating phenomenon sociologically but to be in the middle of a ship war over a love triangle that didn't even exist was an entirely foreign experience. 

Totally with you on this one. I didn't understand the shipping wars for this drama. I thought that they made all the lines pretty clear from the get go, unlike the Reply series.

And, good points on the rest of your post as well!

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 3
19 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Oh My Ghostess ~ also ended with quite a bit of strong opposition about the ultimate pairing (which I have no problem with, obviously coz I'm in that team, lol) 

I was gonna say I don't recall the opposition on the OTP until I wrote it out and then it hit me. Oh yeah, it was Kim Seul Gi that people argue Jo Jung Seok was in love with, not Park Bo Young's character. Fair point. I was on the right ship too hence I forgot all about it. Haha!

Moon Lovers Scarlet Heart Ryeo ~  I would say this one is a mild one. It was hard to choose side at first, but as the story developed, it became easy to stand on the "right" side because it is very clear which is the stronger love.

I watched the C-version so was pretty clear headed with K-version. Plus the K-version didn't really put as much emphasis on the other princes with IU to have strong opposition against Lee Jun Ki.

The King Loves ~ the drama that sparked so much enmity between viewers from different camps. 

I'm only curious which is worst - R88 or this one? :laugh:Or HosPlay?

16 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

@mademoiselle I didn't have SLS at all in Go Back Couple and CITT . In the latter, they did do PHJ's character dirty. His scenes were non-existent. Though I didn't fall for SKJ's character then, it was also in this show that I started noticing him and Lee Sung Kyung. And have been their fan ever since. 

I didn't have SLS for Cheese in the Trap or Go Back Couple. I always knew the OTP is the main pairing. But these two dramas made me swoon at them more than the male lead so it was memorable for me :lmao2:. Agree the drama production did PHJ dirty in the near end. He did the movie (anyone watch?) and it was like a rehashed and didn't turn out well anyway.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
23 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

gree the drama production did PHJ dirty in the near end. He did the movie (anyone watch?) and it was like a rehashed and didn't turn out well anyway.

By the time the movie came out, most folks have already moved on. It wasn't great , and the chemistry with the FL was flat too. 

When @stroppyse suggested this thread , I was quite excited. Unlike @Tofu who actively avoid such shows, I often get sucked in to watching them.  Sometimes it was memorable more because of what happened outside the show :laugh:.  Winter Garden ship on Hospital Playlist was just one of those crazy ones. Till the point I had to open shipping threads so that those of us on that ship could safely chat. 

But what is the psychology behind love triangles that writers see the need to constantly have one in a drama? IRL, it is not even normal to have a two guys like you at the same time. :hug:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

5 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

But what is the psychology behind love triangles that writers see the need to constantly have one in a drama? IRL, it is not even normal to have a two guys like you at the same time. 

I think that what is not normal about a lot of these love triangles is how aggressively the third member may pursue the object of his/her desires despite it being obvious that he/she is not liked back.

I tend to have sympathy for the second leads who are graceful in being rejected, and yet continue to be supportive of the lead even after rejection, e.g. Chilbong in 'Reply 1994' or Yook Sung Jae's character in 'Who Are You: School 2015'. However, there are tons of second leads who are obsessive even after rejection, and who go all out to try to break the leads up. Ugh. I tend to think of those obsessive second leads as poor plot devices to try to keep more angst in the leads' relationship, usually along with the rejection by one or both families.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Hello friends! Are we turniing 3 already?! :lettalKWA::CharmanderYay:

I was summoned here by @abs-oluteM via her reply that @SilverMoonTea should mention me in relation to Before We Get Married. I have so many things to say about that love triangle...How is it possible that both the main lead and second lead were both toxic in that drama?!?! :shocked: I disliked everyone. It wasn't Jasper playing the main lead and Jasper and Puff chemistry I would have been long gone :laugh:(Sorry Tea, it's like one of your crack dramas! But I liked that it got you to notice my boy Jasper)

As for me, I am a very regular sufferer of Second Lead Syndrome. I think it's something to do with the fact that I probably enjoy rooting for the underdog. And maybe because I started watching dramas in the era where they loved to make the main lead toxic, but then the second lead a kind empathetic soul who didn't get the girl due to bad timing or tragic circumstances or grl being oblivious (Think Boys Over Flowers, You're Beautiful etc). So I feel like that pity and wanting to adopt the second lead has lingered throughout my life as a Kdrama watcher.

Memorable Kdrama Love Triangles

You're Beautiful - I did not watch this Kdrama oddly enough. I thought the main guy was super toxic but everyone around me (who was watching the show) loved him. But then by chance I saw a clip of Jung Yong Hwa as the second lead and thought he was both more attractive and super kind to the FL that I was devastated that FL would never notice him. It didn't make me watch the drama, but it did make me watch Heartstrings (another drama where they paired the FL and SL from You're Beautiful) and it did start my on-again-off-again addiction to JYH and CNBlue. It is also probably the origin story as to why I get SLS.:yayaya:

Extraordinary You - I know I'm the one who is always anti-toxic-male-characters...so why did I fall for this super toxic second lead??? :lettalKWA: Aside from the fact that he was Lee Jae Wook who is very talented at playing nuanced characters :laugh:, I think the love triangle got me in this one because it was about more than just the characters being stereotypes. They were complicated becaue they were controlled by a god-like comic book writer who made them who they were. So the second lead was toxic because the writer forced him to be that way. And it was painful to see that he graudally became a better person when he developed a consciousness and actually liked the FL, but realised if he wanted her to be happy he had to let her go despite his own feelings :letalQQ: Also he had been made to treat her so badly in the past by the writer that there wasn't really a way he could make up for his behaviours even though they were mostly out of his control

King's Affection - I loved all the male leads in this drama. But damn, I had such a soft spot for Nam Yoon Su's character in this drama. I don't know what it was, but I think he was super empathetic and caring for Park Eun Bin. It hurt to see him sidelined. But I also liked Rowoon and he wasn't toxic, so all pairing worked. Life's so hard when all the mean around you are hot and nice! :idk:

Lost Romance (Taiwanese) - I think @Tofu will understand this one. Simon Lian's character Qing Feng was so much cooler and so much more caring. FL was just so in love with the self-centred main lead, but the second lead always did things to make her happy and ensure she was comfortable. And it was just so hard because Vivian (FL) and Simon (SL) had such good chemistry in real life even though she also had good chemistry with Marcus (ML). Hahahaha, my SLS was so intense during this period - I translated so many SL behind the scenes content and interviews :laugh: The drama was a bit meh, but I still miss Qing Feng.:heart:

There are more! But these were the main ones that came to mind because they hurt me deep :smile:

7 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

But what is the psychology behind love triangles that writers see the need to constantly have one in a drama? IRL, it is not even normal to have a two guys like you at the same time. :hug:

Not normal for 2 Oppas to like me at the same time...but more normal for me to like 2 different Kdrama Oppas at the same time :lenny:

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

I think that what is not normal about a lot of these love triangles is how aggressively the third member may pursue the object of his/her desires despite it being obvious that he/she is not liked back.

I tend to have sympathy for the second leads who are graceful in being rejected, and yet continue to be supportive of the lead even after rejection, e.g. Chilbong in 'Reply 1994' or Yook Sung Jae's character in 'Who Are You: School 2015'. However, there are tons of second leads who are obsessive even after rejection, and who go all out to try to break the leads up. Ugh. I tend to think of those obsessive second leads as poor plot devices to try to keep more angst in the leads' relationship, usually along with the rejection by one or both families.

I agree. I only get SLS because I tend to watch more series where the SL gracefully bows out of the FL's life. Sometimes they don't even confess knowing the FL's feelings for ML. But yeah, have definitely seen many hatable second leads too - The SL from Heatbeat at the moment is pretty gross (likes the FL and wants her to cut off contact with ML due to 'safety' though she's fine)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

1 hour ago, JenL said:

You're Beautiful - I did not watch this Kdrama oddly enough. I thought the main guy was super toxic but everyone around me (who was watching the show) loved him. But then by chance I saw a clip of Jung Yong Hwa as the second lead and thought he was both more attractive and super kind to the FL that I was devastated that FL would never notice him. It didn't make me watch the drama, but it did make me watch Heartstrings (another drama where they paired the FL and SL from You're Beautiful) and it did start my on-again-off-again addiction to JYH and CNBlue. It is also probably the origin story as to why I get SLS.:yayaya:

I never understood the attraction of the OTP in this drama. I'm with you on liking the second lead better than the ML here. He was nice, helpful, supportive, and respectful. All characteristics that the ML was not. Even in the end, when the OTP were in love, the ML was still a jerk, it was just that he was a jerk who decided he loved the FL and couldn't live without her. Whatever.

This drama also caused me to watch 'Heartstrings' for the lead pairing as well. Unfortunately, the drama itself was not done well. I kept wondering if they had run out of budget or something. I also had problems with the direction. JYH was continuously underacting while Park Shin Hye was overacting a storm, and since she was the better actor of the two and had to carry so much of the drama, it didn't really work for me. Also, the SML for this drama was problematic since he was a big time producer turned faculty. Talk about an imbalance of power. I just remember the story was a mess, though there were definitely elements that I liked about it.

1 hour ago, JenL said:

Extraordinary You - I know I'm the one who is always anti-toxic-male-characters...so why did I fall for this super toxic second lead??? :lettalKWA: Aside from the fact that he was Lee Jae Wook who is very talented at playing nuanced characters :laugh:, I think the love triangle got me in this one because it was about more than just the characters being stereotypes. They were complicated becaue they were controlled by a god-like comic book writer who made them who they were. So the second lead was toxic because the writer forced him to be that way. And it was painful to see that he graudally became a better person when he developed a consciousness and actually liked the FL, but realised if he wanted her to be happy he had to let her go despite his own feelings :letalQQ: Also he had been made to treat her so badly in the past by the writer that there wasn't really a way he could make up for his behaviours even though they were mostly out of his control

So well said!

So, @JenL, you wouldn't recommend watching 'Before We Get Married'?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
8 hours ago, JenL said:

Hello friends! Are we turniing 3 already?! :lettalKWA::CharmanderYay:

I was summoned here by @abs-oluteM via her reply that @SilverMoonTea should mention me in relation to Before We Get Married. I have so many things to say about that love triangle...How is it possible that both the main lead and second lead were both toxic in that drama?!?! :shocked: I disliked everyone.

When everyone is toxic choose the better looking one lols...

6 hours ago, stroppyse said:

So, @JenL, you wouldn't recommend watching 'Before We Get Married'?

I would recommend :laugh:

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Normally popular girl at school have 2,3 or more guy pursuer. Some tend to become like her lackey, carrying her books etc 😅 I pity them, normally they're become the second lead here 😅

The girl sometimes just using them.

But in workforce this phenomena not so noticeable anymore. There is lesser option as most already married. And probably as is on work setting, they don't really show they chase for same girls. Also it looks probably kind of unprofessional? 

If you noticed in the dating show like Single Inferno, the guys all will just go for one or two of the popular girls like Ji A or Ji Yeon. The rest of the girls didn't get much attention 🤕 @Tofu watched lof of dating show too might second this lols. 

I think the psychological reason is like the competition make it even more exciting for the man to pursue girl who have a lot of admirer. Like you won something very priceable if you did get her. As a viewer I think sometimes it's quite fun to see, as it's adding some unpredictability situation where we need to guess who will win the girl. And it can also create dramatic tension because of the unstability of the love triangle itself (jealousy, one sided love), which is the main reason why we watch drama? Well or maybe just me 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/16/2023 at 7:24 AM, stroppyse said:

Yook Sung Jae's character in 'Who Are You: School 2015

I think this is the most memorable love triangle for me. Coincidentally it's also the ONLY time in my drama watching history that I have had SLS.

I literally could not make sense of the fact that the female lead would fall for Han Yi Ahn when Gong Tae Kwang was RIGHT. THERE.

Plus, how do you have a crush on someone for 10+ years and then just forget about them for their identical twin sister in less than a year???

Definitely not salty at all about this one. =p

Edit to add: I think the majority of my issues stem from the fact that NJH was such a new actor at the time and didn't really fill the role of male lead in a way that could give me interest in his character; it felt very cardboard cutout. 

I loved him in Cheese in the Trap and also Weightlifting Fairy; I just think he needed a bit more experience to do the role of Yi An justice. 

Edited by Phikyl
  • Like 2

MDL                  Currently Watching: Hidden Love, Fireworks of My Heart, Erkenci Kus, King the Land

spacer.png

18 hours ago, Phikyl said:

Edit to add: I think the majority of my issues stem from the fact that NJH was such a new actor at the time and didn't really fill the role of male lead in a way that could give me interest in his character; it felt very cardboard cutout. 

I loved him in Cheese in the Trap and also Weightlifting Fairy; I just think he needed a bit more experience to do the role of Yi An justice. 

I definitely agree he was too newbie to take the male lead role. He was painful to watch in that drama.

I also agree that he's improved a lot since then, but his projects are not the most attractive for me, plus his performances are still hit and miss. Guess we'll see how he does after he gets back from mandatory service.

• Like 1

hello eveyrone 

I found this video so funny. Ironically , I havent watched any of these drama but the Fan video Clips are so funny 

CLips from   She was Pretty  was funny , I did watch this drama

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House