Longing For You 오랫동안 당신을 기다렸습니다 [2023]

Ep.11-12 also a great one. Fast moving...

Young Won's mother is a monster... A monster hiding behind the name of a mother's great noble love. She thinks she is above everything. Utterly disgusting. Not the slightest regret, remorse, and fear...

The confrontation of Young Won with his parents at the beginning of ep.11 was well done. The dialogue, the acting... I think this writer is great in writing the lines. 

Indeed there's more to Park Ki Young's resentment and hatred towards this family. It was not merely jealousy.

On 8/30/2023 at 12:17 PM, ktcjdrama said:

I guess we can safely say that Reporter Jang Ki Young was truly burned to death? His death was not a fake out, right? 

Let's forget that I asked this. We need to always go by the rule "no body, no death"

The last scene of preview for next week wrenched my heart... That tear from Young Won. I hope he won't die trying to help/compensate for his family, or from feeling too guilty and disgusted with his family. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

After Park Ki Young's friend turned up as beneficiary and mentioned their mothers were friends during their modelling days, I suspected PKY was another illegitimate son. Cha Young Woon's father seems like such a mild mannered man but he had been scr*wing every pretty girl he came across. His wife obviously knew - did she hatch her plan after these girls fell pregnant or did she encourage/not stop him from his affairs because she wanted there to be children? How evil she is. And yet the actress does the role with such equanimity.

On 8/29/2023 at 8:12 PM, mademoiselle said:

How's it going with this drama after the twist in episode 8? @Chocolate @peperomia

Still good. The revelations come very fast and you think is it too early because there are X episodes to go? But no, it's very well paced.

On 8/30/2023 at 1:17 PM, ktcjdrama said:

The introduction of new character confirms earlier speculation about Jin Woo being the suitable donor for Young Won, but even more twisted now with the new reveal.

I'm still quite amazed at how @peperomia and others guessed the plot correctly after only the first 2 episodes.

I cannot complain about Jin Sang because he is not just using his fist and loud voice a lot, he actually uses his brain too! A good detective.

Yes! His detective skills and instinct have been spot on. Although I find Na In Woo's acting so-so, I'm glad his character was written well, instead of being just full of bluster.

I guess we can safely say that Reporter Jang Ki Young was truly burned to death? His death was not a fake out, right?

7 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Let's forget that I asked this. We need to always go by the rule "no body, no death"

🤣🤣🤣 This was a difficult one.

Also my first time hearing that you can make fake teeth to match an x-ray.

But the detectives walking into the hotel room and PKY just standing there with no one guarding him etc, seems a bit odd. Surely with his smarts, he could have found a way to escape earlier.

7 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

The last scene of preview for next week wrenched my heart... That tear from Young Won. I hope he won't die trying to help/compensate for his family, or from feeling too guilty and disgusted with his family. 

I'm in 2 minds about Cha Young Won. At first, I thought he may be pretending to help his family so as to get more information to trap them. But it does not look that way. It looks like he has to be persuaded to help the good side. Which is disappointing. But I could be wrong.

Only 2 more episodes left!

For @mademoiselle

Spoiler

Park Ki Young's mother got hooked on drugs, supplied by Cha Young Won's mother as supplements. She sponsored PKY because she wanted his heart for her son. But he got lucky because he has hepatitis. So she used Joo Won's heart.

PKY found out about the plot so he planned the revenge.

• Thanks 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 1
Just now, mademoiselle said:

@Chocolate So who is the serial killer? How is PKY intending to take revenge?

The serial killer was the guy who was caught. The dental assistant. Only the first case was by Bae Min Gyu - who killed his wife.

Spoiler

PKY's revenge was to expose Cha Young Won's mother's scheme. He was very nice to one of the maids in the household who helped him plant some spycams and feed him news. That's how he knew they were going to kill Jin Woo and followed and took the video. He has now given a video of a conversation between Young Won's mother and Sec Jung about the heart transplant to the police. So that's how the mother will be arrested next week I think.

I think part of his revenge is also to make Young Won feel bad about having Jin Woo's heart.

But let's see what else is revealed next.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
4 hours ago, Chocolate said:

At first, I thought he may be pretending to help his family so as to get more information to trap them. But it does not look that way.

I still think he is just pretending... surely not the sob story of his well displayed shoes got to him? 😆 That shoes showcase was quite unique, yet kinda eerie... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Hi ladies ~ Thanks for the recent updates. I've been busy and haven't caught up with this week's episodes yet, but I will. I'm glad to hear the development and pacing is still good. Seems like the ending of the story with 2 more episodes should be the right spot.

9 hours ago, Chocolate said:

I'm still quite amazed at how @peperomia and others guessed the plot correctly after only the first 2 episodes.

LOL. I'm amazed myself. :laugh: So, Park Ki Young is another illegitimate son of Young Woon's father? I like this twist. I'd like to think he's alive.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

I finished 11 and 12 - very good. Loved where it left off with Oh Jin Sang finding Park Ki Young alive! Those smirks of theirs when they looked at each other were so satisfying to see. Who knew fermented soy bean stew would be the key and Bae Min Gyu would be of any help with solving the dental records. LOL. It will be interesting to see what will happen to Park Ki Young. Will he get off with his so-called "perfect crime"?

On 9/1/2023 at 4:19 AM, Chocolate said:

I'm in 2 minds about Cha Young Won. At first, I thought he may be pretending to help his family so as to get more information to trap them. But it does not look that way. It looks like he has to be persuaded to help the good side. Which is disappointing. But I could be wrong.

On 9/1/2023 at 9:22 AM, ktcjdrama said:

I still think he is just pretending... surely not the sob story of his well displayed shoes got to him? 😆 That shoes showcase was quite unique, yet kinda eerie... 

I think Cha Young Woon is pretending to side with his family to trap them as well. Because they're still his family, we might see that he's emotionally conflicted, but he'll do the right thing. A few episodes ago when he told his parents he wanted to propose to Young Joo, his mother made a comment that she guesses his instincts are with Woo Jin (due to having Jin Woo's heart). For this reason, I believe he'll side with his Woo Jin friends and expose his family's crimes. I don't see how else he'll be able to live on with Jin Woo's heart without seeking justice for him and simply doing the right thing. Let's hope we're not wrong.

On 8/31/2023 at 8:45 PM, ktcjdrama said:

The confrontation of Young Won with his parents at the beginning of ep.11 was well done. The dialogue, the acting... I think this writer is great in writing the lines. 

Totally agree. I was amazed by Cha Young Woon's emotions (and Kwon Yool's delivery) in this part. Because he was disgusted by his mother defending her monstrous actions and his father’s indifference in sacrificing an illegitimate son is why I doubt his end goal is to save them.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
5 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

@Chocolate How's Kim Ji Eun's character? 😅

She's become more useful again 😂. Because Young Won cannot go after his family yet, KJE's character is the prosecutor for the case. In terms of character, it's a good one because she is not scared of those with power.

But she contributed zilch to solving the crime. It was all done by Jin Sang and his 2 sidekicks. Young Won then did the checking within the hospital for confirmation.

1 hour ago, peperomia said:

It will be interesting to see what will happen to Park Ki Young. Will he get off with his so-called "perfect crime"?

Get off? 😱 Although he didn't commit those crimes, he witnessed them and did nothing to stop it from happening. But wait, is that a crime?

At minimum he kidnapped Young Joo and Alien 😅

1 hour ago, peperomia said:

I think Cha Young Woon is pretending to side with his family to trap them as well. Because they're still his family, we might see that he's emotionally conflicted, but he'll do the right thing. A few episodes ago when he told his parents he wanted to propose to Young Joo, his mother made a comment that she guesses his instincts are with Woo Jin (due to having Jin Woo's heart). For this reason, I believe he'll side with his Woo Jin friends and expose his family's crimes. I don't see how else he'll be able to live on with Jin Woo's heart without seeking justice for him and simply doing the right thing. Let's hope we're not wrong.

He could die... his watch monitor has been beeping when he gets excited 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
2 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Get off? 😱 Although he didn't commit those crimes, he witnessed them and did nothing to stop it from happening. But wait, is that a crime?

At minimum he kidnapped Young Joo and Alien 😅

LOL. Let me first clarify that I don't believe he should get off scot free, but what you said is exactly why I wonder how much of his actions can the police/prosecution charge on him. By the way, isn't it weird the secretary didn't kill him off?

I almost forgot he kidnapped Young Joo and Hee Joo. (I thought it was funny Hee Joo turned over a new leaf and wants to be a true prosecutor. Good for her and that she sees Young Joo as a role model after the kidnapping incident.)

He could die... his watch monitor has been beeping when he gets excited 😅

Nooooo...! I don't want him too. I think I'd cry.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hmm, am I the only one feeling the interrogation at the beginning of ep.13, led by Young Joo, was written kinda weak and forced? Or is it the acting or the actress? I don't feel any tension at all, instead I kept frowning at the direction of the interrogation... 

Some of the things are revealed too conveniently through the narration of Park Ki Young alone. But it was still good to see. He is the most interesting character in this drama for me. I wished he had done things differently, but I can still get why he did what he did... However, I disagree with him that if JW is in prison, he would be safe. It'll still be too easy for the JJ people to kill JW while he is in prison. 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Ep 13 is aptly titled "Questions Asked and Answered".

And you realise, Park Ki Young is so crucial - he started dropping all these hints to get the ball rolling, and without him, the police would have no proof to convict anyone. The actor is also doing a brilliant job. Despite being portrayed as a villian, his anguish in the scene with Young Woon in the interrogation room was heartfelt - quite well done I thought. So he is now my favourite character! 😂

6 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Hmm, am I the only one feeling the interrogation at the beginning of ep.13, led by Young Joo, was written kinda weak and forced? Or is it the acting or the actress? I don't feel any tension at all, instead I kept frowning at the direction of the interrogation... 

I feel it is mainly the actress and her acting. She has this smirk that I really dislike. And do you notice she speaks with a little lisp (?), which I think she is doing intentionally to come across as bad-ass prosecutor, which totally fails.

6 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Some of the things are revealed too conveniently through the narration of Park Ki Young alone. But it was still good to see. He is the most interesting character in this drama for me. I wished he had done things differently, but I can still get why he did what he did... However, I disagree with him that if JW is in prison, he would be safe. It'll still be too easy for the JJ people to kill JW while he is in prison.

I liked the reveal by PKY. But it confused me so I re-watched.

- His goal was to stop Young Woon from getting the heart transplant.

- So he planned the serial murders to frame Jin Woo so that he would go to jail and the transplant cannot take place. (And that answers the question of what his crime is since he didn't do the actual killing.)

- Then he intended to go overseas so that they won't try to take his heart as back-up plan.

That's it.

I'm still wondering if I should or should not be disappointed with this as a plot.

I suppose YW not getting the transplant would be a kind of revenge on his mother as well, since he is her everything. But still, I was expecting something... larger? Smarter? But I guess to PKY, it goes back to his obsession/jealousy of YW which is his main grievance.

Seems a bit 钻牛角尖. Wouldn't it be easier to just kill JW right from the start 😅 Not that it matters to KY that both YW and JW are his brothers anyway.

• Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

I feel it is mainly the actress and her acting. She has this smirk that I really dislike. And do you notice she speaks with a little lisp (?), which I think she is doing intentionally to come across as bad-ass prosecutor, which totally fails.

OMG.... I thought I'm the only one bothered by her smirk... The lisp I didn't notice as much, but the smirk, too much... And yes, total fail being a bad-ass prosecutor. Like I said, I don't feel a thing while she was leading the interrogation. Whereas when Young Won was interrogating Ki Young, I felt the angst from both of them. I'm not sure yet, but I think I might avoid her drama in the future. Nothing personal against her, just not the way of acting that I enjoy watching. 

Back to her interrogation ~ everything just seems so conveniently laid out for her, I am talking about those recorded video/audio clips. She asked a question, not getting anywhere, then she played the clips, gotcha!, then rinse and repeat... It became a flaunting of superiority, of having upper hand... ?? 

Wouldn't it be easier to just kill JW right from the start

You mean to prevent JW from becoming a donor? I guess he doesn't really want to kill a person? But he has no problem seeing a person being killed... tell me about that... So yeah, it's rather confusing what exactly his goal is. With him discovering all those evidences, and him being a reporter, he could just expose the plan (discreetly even) and make it difficult for YW's mother to carry out the secret plan. So yeah, what does he want to achieve?? 

I also don't understand why the mother cannot just get in line for a suitable heart transplant like everyone else, but can put JW under Dr Chu observation for the longest time... 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

MTDzeiV.gif

2 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Back to her interrogation ~ everything just seems so conveniently laid out for her, I am talking about those recorded video/audio clips. She asked a question, not getting anywhere, then she played the clips, gotcha!, then rinse and repeat... It became a flaunting of superiority, of having upper hand... ?? 

There was 1 fail by the writer here though.

When Mari said Mr Jung told her that YW's mother knew about the clause in the contract, the lawyer said it is just a claim by Mr Jung. Then she played the sound recording of Mari and Mr Jung, and ta-dah, that was supposed to be proof that YW's mother knew. Why? The recording didn't have YW's mother in it. Left me scratching my head.

2 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I also don't understand why the mother cannot just get in line for a suitable heart transplant like everyone else, but can put JW under Dr Chu observation for the longest time... 

Apart from the fact that siblings will probably be better matches and lower chance of rejection, part of it was likely revenge for her husband's affairs.

I forgot there's an episode tonight! 😂

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
47 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

There was 1 fail by the writer here though.

When Mari said Mr Jung told her that YW's mother knew about the clause in the contract, the lawyer said it is just a claim by Mr Jung. Then she played the sound recording of Mari and Mr Jung, and ta-dah, that was supposed to be proof that YW's mother knew. Why? The recording didn't have YW's mother in it. Left me scratching my head.

You’re so right! It still stands as just Jung’s claim that YW’s mother knew about it, but not proving she knew. I didn’t pay that close attention. Have already switch to disinterest mode already 😆. I remember one part though, she said Jung may leave the room now, then less than 2 minutes later, he was called back into the room 🙄 flaunting much? 

58 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

I forgot there's an episode tonight!

Will watch ASAP tomorrow morning. Just to be able to cross this drama off my list 😄 I do want to know what the ending is gonna be like. 

• Haha 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Finally, with the confrontation from JS's mother, that heartless witch is showing a little emotion. I like the confrontation. She may seem to favour JS more, but she still sincerely loves JW as her son. Also the part about wanting to curse CYW, yet she couldn't and wouldn't.

The courtroom session was pretty good, except for the last piece of evidence... which again imo showed the weak writing with regards to legal procedurals... Like, she never knew there's a CCTV in that room? that even recorded audio?.... I like what PKY said in court about how people would never know the limit of time they have living, yet Yoo has set that time limit for him and JW. Teared up a bit when he was looking and talking to her. 

The wrap-up, some good ones, some eye-brow raising ones, like the two inmates happily devising escape plan... Then the final scene... hm... JS and YJ being together feels a bit forced for me. We're never shown how they moved on from close friends to lovers, even just a budding romantic feeling. Of course I know YJ can never be with YW anymore, but there is no closure too for this.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

MTDzeiV.gif

I really enjoyed the final 2 episodes. No one died...phew! I liked the approach of using dialogue from the interrogations and testimonies to reveal everything. I agree some things were convenient, but I thought they did the job of tying things up. My favorite part was the various characters confronting each other. I could feel the characters’ emotions, even regret. Particularly Ki Young, we got to see a vulnerable side. Throughout, I kept wondering if things could’ve turned out differently if he had chosen to share the truth with Young Woon and father instead. They seemed willing to help him had they known the mother's motives. Oh well…

On 9/7/2023 at 3:39 AM, Chocolate said:

And you realise, Park Ki Young is so crucial - he started dropping all these hints to get the ball rolling, and without him, the police would have no proof to convict anyone. The actor is also doing a brilliant job. Despite being portrayed as a villian, his anguish in the scene with Young Woon in the interrogation room was heartfelt - quite well done I thought. So he is now my favourite character! 😂

He's my favorite character too. I liked how the final episodes gave an emotional layer to him. I got a little teary during his conversation with YW and even with this father. I also liked his understanding with Detective Oh and their same goal to convict Jinjin Medical. I misunderstood in thinking his idea of a perfect crime was to get-off scot free. From the start, he plotted everything knowing he would get caught.

On 9/7/2023 at 8:51 AM, Chocolate said:

Apart from the fact that siblings will probably be better matches and lower chance of rejection, part of it was likely revenge for her husband's affairs.

I thought it was partly revenge as well which is pretty sad. No matter what, children should not pay for the adults' faults. Even Detective Oh's mother said to YW's mother, she would never hurt others' children.

17 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

The wrap-up, some good ones, some eye-brow raising ones, like the two inmates happily devising escape plan... Then the final scene... hm... JS and YJ being together feels a bit forced for me. We're never shown how they moved on from close friends to lovers, even just a budding romantic feeling. Of course I know YJ can never be with YW anymore, but there is no closure too for this.

I liked that the ending left some room for some of the characters to mend their relationships. I think it might've been for some comic relief, but yes, I raised my eyebrow too when PKY and Bae Min Gyu talked about jail-breaking. Like, seriously? I didn't mind too much about the friends to lovers insert between Detective Oh and Young Joo because from the beginning, it was already hinted the possibility would be YJ with Detective Oh or with YW. Of course, the latter was impossible now so they went with the former. LOL.

Overall, this was a great show in terms of writing and pacing of the storyline. It managed capture and convey a lot of emotions too.

Edited by peperomia
  • Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

A good summary for the ending here.

The only one who seems to have been unpunished is the father. He knew they were planning to murder Jin Woo and agreed to it - isn't that a crime? Or his wife and Secretary Jung didn't out him.

And apparently the kdrama bible holds true - second leads don't get the heroine 🤣

There has not been many kdramas for me this year. Longing For You was a good one.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Clapping Hands 1