[K-Artist] Song Joong Ki 송중기

Song Joong Ki Discusses Taking On Challenges, Working With The “Space Sweepers” Cast, And More

https://www.soompi.com/article/1453446wpp/song-joong-ki-discusses-taking-on-challenges-working-with-the-space-sweepers-cast-and-more

song-joong-ki-2-768x1075.jpg

---

Upcoming Drama “Vincenzo” Previews Song Joong Ki Experiencing Turbulent Times In Korea

https://www.soompi.com/article/1453546wpp/upcoming-drama-vincenzo-previews-song-joong-ki-experiencing-turbulent-times-in-korea

song-joong-ki5-768x1536.jpg

• Heart Eyes 1

From the KoreaTimes

[INTERVIEW] Song Joong-ki says filming 'Space Sweepers' was learning experience

Song Joong-ki said he is blessed to have worked with the most warm-hearted, kind and supportive actors in the hit movie "Space Sweepers," adding that he always loves working with director Jo Sung-hee.

"I have so many wonderful memories. It's a really special movie for me because I filmed it during a dark period of my life. It's not something that I could get over with on my own, but I tried to accept distressing emotions as a natural part of life and brought all energy to my character," he said during an interview with The Korea Times via Zoom, Tuesday.

The actor didn't specify what triggered this dark period but his remarks appear to be associated with his divorce from actress Song Hye-kyo.

"I'm really drawn to movies that encompass extended-family dynamics, and I think family is the most important value in our life. Whenever I have needed a reference for an emotional performance, I watched 'Legends of the Fall,' starring Brad Pitt, to understand the family code. I think I've watched it more than 50 times," he said.

Because the sci-fi film is set in outer space, Song had to push himself to overcome the challenges of acting without complete scenery.

"I had to portray audacity on screen without having a clear idea about the background information such as what nano-bots are and what they look like. Because they were created through visual effects during the post-production stage, Jo had to give us directions based on his extensive research and storyboards. I felt relieved that the other actors also had only the faintest of ideas," he explained.

Set around a fictional barely habitable Earth in 2092, "Space Sweepers" follows the story of a spaceship crew who collect and sell space junk for a living. During one of their "sweeps" for space debris, they discover a mysterious humanoid robot Dorothy that is in fact a dangerous weapon of mass destruction.

Later on, when the crew learn her true identity and what she is capable of, they decide to strike a money-making deal with the UTS Space Guards, who are searching for Dorothy.

Song plays Kim Tae-ho the pilot of the spaceship Victory, who is able to think on his feet and come up with useful strategies. Though Tae-ho is a shameless opportunist who is predominantly focused on money, he is holding onto the pain of tragically losing his adopted daughter.

"I'm not as shameless as Tae-ho. People often tell me that I'm 'tsundere' (Japanese term for cold outside and warm inside personality). I'm definitely not the kind of person who says sweet things very often," he said.

On playing a father's role for the first time, the actor said he was a bit worried about how the public would perceive it.

"Personally, I felt no burden playing a father. What I focused on was expressing Tae-ho's agony over losing his daughter in order to express a contrast between being a friendly father to his adopted daughter and apathetic to the humanoid robot," he said.

The actor also thanked the global audience for showing their interest in the new film. "Space Sweepers" has become the most watched Netflix movie in 28 countries, just two days after its release.

"It's hard to believe because I don't know how the ranking system works exactly. But I've been getting a lot of text messages from my friends abroad, sending me pictures of them watching the film. It's so overwhelming," he said.

Song revealed that he is currently filming tvN's new drama series "Vincenzo," a black comedy about a Korean-Italian man named Vincenzo Cassano, a lawyer and mafia consigliere who returns to Korea due to a conflict within his organization.

"As of now, I'm busy filming Vincenzo. We'll be shooting during the Lunar New Year holiday because we have less than two weeks until its premiere," he said.

"I have a heavy burden on my shoulders. Releasing two projects ― a film and a drama series ― around the same time is more than twice the burden for me. I have high aspirations because I'm emotionally attached to both projects."

Song will next be seen in the action film "Bogota," whose filming is on hold due to COVID-19 restrictions. The upcoming movie revolves around a Korean man who moved to Colombia in the late 1990s in search of a better life.

The actor is well known for his roles in the TV series "Innocent Man" (2012) "Descendants of the Sun" (2016) and "Arthdal Chronicles" (2019) as well as films "A Werewolf Boy" (2012) and "The Battleship Island." (2017).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looked so great at the awards @ssteph

pic credit : http://pop.heraldcorp.com/view.php?ud=202102101859341097352_1

x6IKYKt.jpg

• Heart Eyes 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

When asked the most happiest moment, SJK brought up the story of his two nephews (7 & 5 years old).

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/416/0000267740?lfrom=twitter

His nephews drew Space Sweepers and sent it to him via Kakao Talk. "After drawing Tae Ho, Captain Jang, Tiger Park, and Updong, I don't know why, they want to rewatch it on February 23. They wrote my uncle's job is an actor. I saw it and I feel happy."

:wow: :hearties: :love:

• Heart Eyes 1

Space Sweepers: Song Joong Ki REVEALS he was apprehensive on public reaction to playing a father for 1st time
( credit : Pinkvilla)

In a recent interview, Song Joong Ki revealed his thoughts on playing a father on-screen for the very first time and also shared that he was apprehensive of public reaction.

Song Joong-ki's recent outing happened to be his first-ever sci-fi film, Space Sweepers, that opened to phenomenal reviews from fans across the world. In India alone, it trended in the Top 10 since its global release! In addition to that, Joong Ki, who has been conspicuous by his absence from K-dramas, since last starring in Arthdal Chronicles in 2019, is also prepping for his comeback with legal-thriller Vincenzo on February 19.

In a recent interview with Sports Chosun , Song Joong Ki revealed his honest thoughts on portraying a father on-screen, for the very first time. The Vincenzo actor shared that although he wasn't pressured, he was apprehensive about audiences reaction to the same. He shared, “To be honest, I didn’t feel any pressure about playing a father but I did wonder, ‘How will the public react?'” The actor further shared that, his directors and co-actors generously helped him out with his apprehensions. He also revealed that it was an interesting and different character to play on-screen.

Meanwhile, K-fans are eagerly awaiting for his highly anticipated drama comeback with Vincenzo. In Vincenzo, he plays Vincenzo Cassano, a lawyer and Italian Mafia consigliere of the Korean descent, who teams up with the sharp-tongued lawyer, Hong Cha Young, played by Jeon Yeo Bin, to take down the wealthy and mighty of Korea.

• Like 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Watch: Song Joong Ki And Jeon Yeo Bin Introduce Their Characters In “Vincenzo”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1454052wpp/watch-song-joong-ki-and-jeon-yeo-bin-introduce-their-characters-in-vincenzo

Asked if he had any similarities to the character, he said, “I think we both like to be alone."

“The difference between us is that Vincenzo always wears formal suits, but Song Joong Ki does not. I like wearing comfortable clothes.”

“The difficult part was that I’ve never been to Italy in my life. I’ve never spoken Italian in my life. I’m more scared of my Italian teacher than of the director.”

“I looked up ‘how to peel a thick-skinned squash’ on YouTube this morning”

Edited by ssteph
  • Like 1

Watch: Song Joong Ki Vows Revenge And Strikes Fear Into People’s Hearts In Action-Packed Preview For “Vincenzo”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1454132wpp/watch-song-joong-ki-vows-revenge-and-strikes-fear-into-peoples-hearts-in-action-packed-preview-for-vincenzo

•••

Webtoon Space Sweepers is released in Japan by Piccoma.

https://piccoma.com/web/product/56823

• Clapping Hands 1

From https://theindependent.sg/song-joong-ki-opens-instagram-account/

Song Joong Ki opens Instagram account
As of February 15, he has acquired some 500,000 followers

Seoul — Descendants of the Sun actor Song Joong Ki has just opened an official Instagram account. His agency HiSTORY D&C announced the good news on February 14.

The agency posted Song’s photo with a message, “Knock! Knock! A sweeter gift than chocolate has arrived. Actor Song Joong Ki has opened an official Instagram account.” 

The first three posts on Song Joong Ki’s official Instagram account revealed different sides of him behind the scenes, as reported by Allkpop on February 15.

As of February 15, he has close to 500,000 followers on Instagram.

Born on September 19, 1985, Song Joong Ki is a South Korean actor. He rose to fame in the historical coming-of-age drama Sungkyunkwan Scandal (2010) and the variety show Running Man (2010–2011) as one of the original cast members. Since then, he played a diverse spectrum of roles in the television series The Innocent Man (2012), Descendants of the Sun (2016) and Arthdal Chronicles (2019), as well as the box office hits A Werewolf Boy (2012) and The Battleship Island (2017)—both on the list of highest-grossing films in South Korea.

Song was Gallup Korea’s Actor of the Year in 2017. He was first included in the Forbes Korea Power Celebrity list in 2013 placing seventh,  and subsequently ranking second in 2017, and eighth in 2018. The success of his works internationally established him as a top Hallyu star and one of the highest-paid actors in South Korea.

Song made his acting debut in the 2008 period film A Frozen Flower. The following year, he appeared in the couple-swapping segment “Believe in the Moment” of omnibus Five Senses of Eros and continued to take on small but notable roles in Triple and Will It Snow for Christmas?.

Song also became a regular host of KBS Friday music programme Music Bank from 2009 to 2010. He then appeared in the 2010 medical drama OB & GY, and animal movie sequel Hearty Paws 2.

Song’s breakout role came in the fusion historical drama Sungkyunkwan Scandal where he played the role of an 18th-century Joseon-era rich, indolent playboy. Despite stable but unspectacular ratings, the drama became a cult hit and his on-screen “bromance” with a then-unknown Yoo Ah-in was popular with viewers. Song also joined the cast of variety program Running Man from 2010 to 2011.

• Like 1

Song Joong Ki, Jeon Yeo Bin, And 2PM’s Taecyeon Talk About How They Were Cast In “Vincenzo” And More

https://www.soompi.com/article/1454540wpp/song-joong-ki-jeon-yeo-bin-and-2pms-taecyeon-talk-about-how-they-were-cast-in-vincenzo-and-more

On February 15, tvN’s new drama “Vincenzo” held an online press conference with producing director (PD) Kim Hee Won and cast members Song Joong Ki, Jeon Yeo Bin, and 2PM’s Taecyeon.

“Vincenzo” stars Song Joong Ki as Vincenzo Cassano, a lawyer and Mafia consigliere who was adopted by an Italian family at a young age. When he moves back to Korea due to a conflict within his organization, he crosses paths with a sharp-tongued lawyer named Hong Cha Young (Jeon Yeo Bin) and her intern Jang Joon Woo (Taecyeon). They join forces to use villainous methods in taking down villains who cannot be punished by the law.

Director Kim Hee Won previously worked on “The Crowned Clown” and “Money Flower,” while screenwriter Park Jae Bum previously worked on “The Fiery Priest,” “Good Manager,” “Good Doctor,” and “God’s Quiz.”

Kim Hee Won shared, “The main character is Italian by nationality because of his Mafia backstory. I wanted the main character to be a foreigner and a stranger, so that there could be a new kind of comedy and chemistry that arises from the clash. I tried to mix both stable and unstable compositions in the mise-en-scène and the soundtrack uses a lot of opera arias.”

Song Joong Ki said, “I think that Vincenzo is a relatable character not just for me, but for lots of people. We hear on the news about evil people in all kinds of fields. When I got the synopsis, there were a few lines about the writer’s intentions. I’d never related so much to a writer’s intentions before. I could feel his passion to write about social criticism, and to write characters who solved those social issues in refreshing ways. When you see the news, you get so angry. You want those evil people to be punished. Everyone thinks like that. Reading the script gave me the same feeling.”

He added, “My character is a character who feels set apart after living in Italy for so long. He returns to his motherland, Korea, and feels various emotions such as loneliness, sadness, but also relief.” The actor also rated the role as the most difficult one he’d ever played, requiring both action scenes and speaking Italian.

song-joong-ki-vincenzo-768x1152.jpg

Kim Hee Won explained that she had cast Song Joong Ki because of his drama “The Innocent Man.” She said, “He seems so innocent and naive in that role, but there’s loneliness and darkness in him. I realized I had a lot in common with that character. [Song Joong Ki] is the best partner I could ask for as a director. It’s an honor to work with someone who can balance the drama’s scale, serious moments, and comedic moments all in one.”

• Heart Eyes 1

From Kim Tae Ri interview

She had high praise for Song Joong Ki as she said, “Although there’s not much of an age difference between us, he really feels mature. When I saw him getting along with everyone so well on set I thought he was a great person befitting of the role of captain.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1454444wpp/kim-tae-ri-shares-thoughts-on-her-space-sweepers-character-compliments-cast-members-and-more

•••

Jae Jae (host MMTG) IG update - he took photo with Space Sweepers squad 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLTnVYLDF6J/?igshid=11bbgcgphuhn6

• Heart Eyes 1