Legend of Fei 有翡 [2020]

Lynne

30 minutes ago, Tofu said:

That is just a bit strange to me that they wouldn't be seen together to promote their drama. But I guess we have seen stranger things this year too. Haha!

maybe we are thinking too much....maybe their schedule is just too busy to be combine together for a promotion event....

there are times when both the leads are too busy and couldnt make do for the promotion events

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, NiteWalker said:

maybe we are thinking too much....maybe their schedule is just too busy to be combine together for a promotion event....

I think it's probably this. They are both in the middle of filming new dramas (with other things going on/end of the year events coming up) and over the summer, they did come together already on Happy Camp and Day Day Up. While technically she was promoting her reality show on the latter and the both of them were participating in an agency battle for the former, Legend of Fei definitely got mentioned on both shows with their actions scrutinized.  Even though ZLY's already married, so no one's thinking along romantic lines, I think we'd all like to imagine they at least got along and had fun while filming.  That is definitely coming through with the BTS clips that have been released alongside the drama.  Some of them have been really cute!  Like WYB 'punching' ZLY out of the blue and her 'punching' him back, or WYB doing his magic tricks for everyone around them to watch.  It's cute!  

• Like 3

My Fanfics

Descendants of the Sun • A Love So Beautiful • Le Coupe de Foudre • Gank Your Heart • Go Ahead • Legend of Fei

10 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

Some of them have been really cute!  Like WYB 'punching' ZLY out of the blue and her 'punching' him back, or WYB doing his magic tricks for everyone around them to watch.  It's cute!  

yes the atmosphere does seems very good to be honest...

7 hours ago, Tofu said:

With how C-Dramas are released, you never know when your drama will air so you can never plan for it. :laugh:

some artist does get a go ahead some times....

Unique Lady 2 will be airing on Dec/24

• Like 2

I wrote some long summaries but decided to scrap them because it seems like English subs are more readily available through third party drama websites. Instead, the following are my thoughts so far.

Episode 1-12

Spoiler

Li Zheng (Fei's grandfather) was some sort of a Saint. He is brought up a lot throughout these first eleven episodes because he's helped so many people, including masters of many martial art sects. The guardian of the Ximo River referred to him as a hero for saving his life and also taking in some of the poison the guardian got from a fight with the Demons. Li Zheng, while helping Duan Jiu Niang also got a bit of the poison she had in her body too. I think it was mentioned his death was due to a lot of this. He created the Fortress of the Forty-Eight as a sanctuary to escape the wars between the Northern and Southern Dynasties. I'm curious as to how many people Fei is going to meet that has more stories like these to tell her about her grandfather. 

Fei (Zhao LiYing) is a quick learner and she possess the ability to learn so many new moves, some specific to certain martial art sects. She's well on her way to creating her own style of martial art by combining all the things that she's learned from the people she's met. The conversation she has with the guardian of the Ximo River is my favorite so far because it basically sets up the whole drama. The guardian asked her what kind of heroine does she want to be and she told him that she doesn't want to be one. He explained that being a heroine is not measured by how many people you defeat or killed, it's measured by how many people you save and help. 

Xie Yun (Wang YiBo) is quite the character. He's very witty and smart, but one has to be if they were the emperor of the previous dynasty, right? That was probably the biggest shocker at the end of episode 11. He kept his real identity hidden even when he was asked many times. It was pretty apparent that he was someone of importance but it was hard to tell how important he was. Xie Yun doesn't have his force and it's unclear how he lost it or what happened to it. There are suggestion that he might have been poisoned but there are also other conversations that suggest something else too. Regardless, he's martial art is pretty weak at the moment and he relies on his qinggong when he's battling. Xie Yun also talks sooooooo much. Haha! I know that's part of his character but he has something to say about almost every situation. :laugh:

When both Xie Yun and Fei are fighting together, they make the best team. Fei actually says that they work well together and Xie Yun told her that they are always put in dangerous situation when they are together. To this, Fei just told him something along the lines of, "but we survive, don't we?". Haha! I'm excited to see what's going to happen between the two of them. I know that romance is definitely something that's part of the picture, but I much prefer them working together as a team to defeat all the evil people instead.

Duan Jiu Niang is probably my favorite character that's come up so far these eleven episodes. She's a pretty well-thought out character. She is master but has been kept away from the world for so long because she's mentally unstable. She married her sister's husband because her sister died. She helped raised her sister's son and is usually kept in her quarters with her maid, someone she saved with the help of Li Zheng. She consider herself as Fei's step-grandmother because she was in love with Li Zheng. She even purposed to him but he declined. You can definitely feel her heartbreak just through a lot of the flashback scenes of her and Li Zheng. She ends up giving Fei some of her force (even though it makes Fei really sick) and helped attack Timber Wolf (Lord of the Demons) so Fei and Xie Yun can escape. It doesn't show for sure that she died, but I hope that she didn't because I would love to see her again in the drama. 

In terms of development in the story, I wasn't exactly fond of the pacing prior to episode 10. It was slow and there were some unnecessary scenes, but at the same time there were some scenes that didn't make any sense. I know the drama was cut down a lot but it would be nice if there was a better flow to some of these scenes. 

Here's a brief summary of all the events that's happened so far:

Spoiler
  • Xie Yun cross the Ximo River surpassing the spinning wires formation to get into the Fortress of the Forty-Eight
  • Li Sheng and Fei goes to try to capture him but they can't. Li Jin Rong (Fei's mom) get upset at them for entering the Forbidden Forest to look for Xie Yun. The forest is full of spinning wires and traps. 
  • Li Sheng overhears a conversation where Fei's parents say they are worried for him. He decides that he is going to leave the Fortress because he wants to make a name out of himself and be a more skilled martial artist. 
  • Fei tries to stop Li Sheng from crossing the river. Xie Yun comes to save them. 
  • Xie Yun meets Li Jin Rong (Fei's mom) for the first time and tells her that he's there with a message for Lord Gantang, who we find out later is Fei's dad. Fei's mom guess that he has the Anping Token and is there to give it to Lord Gantang. She ask for it but Xie Yun tells her that he was asked to delivery it to Lord Gantang by General Wang Lin when the general was on his deathbed. Xie Yun intends on guarding it with his life. Fei cause a distraction and Xie Yun is able to get away. 
  • Fei's mom is furious and Fei is whipped a few times because of this. 
  • Xie Yun and Lord Gantang finally meet and he gives him the Anping Token which is basically a way of saying, you are now in charge of leading the Anping Army. Fei's dad decide to leave the Fortress to fulfill his duty. Fei is upset at Xie Yun and wished she never saved him. 
  • Six months later, Fei is defeats her mom in a flower picking challenge and gain enough flowers to leave the Fortress. She goes with Li Sheng and Ms. Wang to bring back Chenfei (her cousin) and the Wu children (Chu Chu and Xiao Di). Chenfei was tasked to leave the Fortress earlier to bring back the children but they haven't heard much from him. 
  • Li Sheng tries to escape from the group, Fei follows him, and this separates them from the group with Ms. Wang.
  • Fei falls into a dungeon when she tried to run away from Huo Manor's people. In the dungeon she meets Xie Yun who had been captured along with Chenfei, Chu Chu, Xiao Di, and other martial artists. It turns out that Huo's Manor has been working with The Phoenix to capture all the martial artists -- I can't remember why I'm I think it might have been to kill them. 
  • The Demons are also inside the dungeon because they are looking for the Wu Children, they have something the Demons want (a necklace that Chu Chu is wearing). 
  • The Demons and the Phoenix are old enemies so a fight breaks out among them. Huo's Manor decide to set the dungeon on fire. Luckily everyone is able to make it out alive. 
  • Everyone leaves for Huarong, a city nearby. While they are staying at a inn, Chu Chu was having menstrual cramps and leave to find remedy for it with Fei. The inn is set on fire by the Demons. 
  • The two Demons leader, Blessed Dog and Timber Wolf are not fan of each other. The realized that the Wu children were not inside the inn and decide to close the gate to the city -- no one is allowed in or out. 
  • Xie Yun and Fei are separated. 
  • Xie Yun meets Mr. Bai who is someone that protect the third prince. This means that the third prince is within the city walls. Timber Wolf hears of this and goes to find the third prince while Blessed Dog is still searching for the Wu children. 
  • Fei and Chu Chu are hiding within Duan Jiu Niang's quarters. Duan Jiu Niang and Fei has a fight in which she does some damage to Fei. That's also when she learned that Fei is Li Zheng's granddaughter. Duan Jiu Niang gives Fei some of her powers. 
  • The third prince leaves the city because it's not safe for him. 
  • Xie Yun and Fei are reunited when a fight breaks out with the Demons. Duan Jiu Niang fights Timber Wolf allowing for Fei and Xie Yun to escape. 
  • Xie Yun and Fei arrives at another inn in another town (sorry I forgot the name of the inn and the town they are in). Xie Yun talks about how he loves the beef paste at the inn and he often visit it just for that. The Dragons arrive at the inn looking for Ji Yun Chen, master of the North Blade. A fight broke out between the Dragons and them. One of the Dragon person lit an incense and put up the Dragon flag which is meant to alert the master of the sect. 
  • General Wei Yu arrives to the inn with Chu Chu (who escaped Huarong with Mr. Bai). When they get there, they all pay their respect to Xie Yun, it's during this that Fei finds out that Xie Yun was the emperor of the previous dynasty. 
  • As all of this is happening, Li Sheng and Ms. Wang run into the Demons. Ms. Wang told Li Sheng not to do anything but he does. She ends up dying trying to protect him. 
  • Li Sheng meets the Qi Master who is going to teach him the martial art of the Qi sect. 

If there's one thing I do not enjoy about these types of dramas, the amount of people and names I have to remember. I feel like I need to make myself my own character chart to remember everyone's name, if they've died, what their role is, etc. :pandasadspoon:

@themarchioness @NiteWalker: I read a lot about people's complaints with the chemistry but I don't find anything wrong with it either. I think it's pretty on par with their characters' age. I also like that they are more comrades than lovers so far too. 

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Tofu said:

In terms of development in the story, I wasn't exactly fond of the pacing prior to episode 10. It was slow and there were some unnecessary scenes, but at the same time there were some scenes that didn't make any sense. I know the drama was cut down a lot but it would be nice if there was a better flow to some of these scenes.

on these i remember there were once LiYing took to her Weibo and mention that she herself is finding the main aim or the plot of the story lacking and she doesnt know where its leading to or what she is acting for either.....

as the story lines kinda diverted a lil...

6 minutes ago, Tofu said:

@themarchioness @NiteWalker: I read a lot about people's complaints with the chemistry but I don't find anything wrong with it either. I think it's pretty on par with their characters' age. I also like that they are more comrades than lovers so far too. 

i seen some of the scenes and i find the chemistry so far is pretty okie....though to be honest visual wise they dont really appeal to me as a couple however if like you say looking from comrades side i might just pick it up then...

• Like 2
4 hours ago, NiteWalker said:

on these i remember there were once LiYing took to her Weibo and mention that she herself is finding the main aim or the plot of the story lacking and she doesnt know where its leading to or what she is acting for either.....

as the story lines kinda diverted a lil...

She did, but I don't think that's what's going on right now (in these early parts of the drama).  I think ZLY's post was probably in reaction to things  that were happening farther down the story, where they were filming at the time.  (And hopefully after her post the focus in the script re-aligned itself so we won't have to deal with that!)  

I think, right now, in these early eps, the story is just suffering from massive overdose of characters and storylines -- which, as I understand it, is true to the book.  (From what I remember when skimming the book it also starts out pretty slow - it takes a while before we even meet Xie Yun!)  It's starts out with a constant journey with the characters on the constant move so they meet new people along the way, some of whom join them, drop away (maybe even die!), rejoin, etc.  I am hopeful that at some point it will all come together because I think these experiences are crucial to Zhou Fei's development as a martial arts expert; it's like she learns a little something along the way while Xie Yun is next to her, helping her along the way.  For me things dragged during that part where they were separated because I like their banter and how they work cooperatively.  Fortunately they're back to hanging out together now!

As for the complaints about chemistry, I don't feel that way either.  My impression is this is not a lovely dovey overt romantic type story anyway.  (Honestly, I kind of feel like rather than the story not living up to certain people's expectations, it's more like those people should adjust their expectations from what they expected from the story???)  I actually like Xie Yun and Zhou Fei working as friends and colleagues right now, and you do get hints of interest from Xie Yun while Zhou Fei is just totally clueless.  Seems like she's more concerned about who she needs to beat up next.  ;)  

Anyway, no complaints from this quarter.  I'm still happily skimming along while waiting until i can go back and rewatch in full with subs.  

Edited by themarchioness
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

My Fanfics

Descendants of the Sun • A Love So Beautiful • Le Coupe de Foudre • Gank Your Heart • Go Ahead • Legend of Fei

43 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

Anyway, no complaints from this quarter.  I'm still happily skimming along while waiting until i can go back and rewatch in full with subs.  

hahaha might just pick this up to be honest....however i need to shake off some of the things on my plates first.....after that only i have times to focus more on the drama itself....

maybe if we have enough interest we can come up with a poll to promote the drama?? :heart:

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, NiteWalker said:

hahaha might just pick this up to be honest....however i need to shake off some of the things on my plates first.....after that only i have times to focus more on the drama itself....

But not Forever Love?! *gasps* Calling @Mouse for reinforcement!!! 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My Fanfics

1 hour ago, themarchioness said:

For me things dragged during that part where they were separated because I like their banter and how they work cooperatively.  Fortunately they're back to hanging out together now!

Absolutely agreed! When they were separated is when it was the slowest for me too. The drama is better when they are together -- getting into trouble together and getting out of it together. Haha!

Their banter is the best. Fei is so over him sometimes that I feel like if she could, she would be rolling her eyes at him constantly. :laugh:

In episode 14, he was lying to the master of the Dragons and she's just like, "Look at how smug he is" when Chu Chu said that he saved them again. Haha! Fei does make a comment that even though Xie Yun is odd, she feels like she can trust him. Then she wonders if it's because of his face. Haha!

There are small references to romance like when Xie Yun was saying that when he is back he is going to create a bag for her that can hold so many swords -- she will be a peacock of swords. Fei asked where he is going and he stumbled saying that he's going to the Fortress of the Forty-Eigth with her. Haha! But I agreed that Fei is more focused on who she is going to beat up next than romance at this time. Xie Yun actually yells at her and tell her she needs to stop thinking with her fist all the time. Haha! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The BTS for the drama makes me laugh so much sometimes. Haha! The amount of time Wang YiBo had to carry Zhao LiYing. Haha! In the spoiler tag is a clip of Wang YiBo jumping through a cart. 

Spoiler

Xie Yun as an old man. :laugh: Video clip of the scene in the spoiler tag.

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Group photo from the cast (this is from the most recent episodes) :smile:

80pKayI.jpg

bwKdk4k.jpg

Spoiler

0nzzQYr.jpg

HvkW395.jpg

Wang YiBo was chosen to take the selfie because he has a small face and long arms. :laugh:

Sv4JlEh.jpg

The BTS of how the group photos and selfie were taken in the spoiler tag.

Spoiler

• Like 3

Legend of Fei is now released on iQIYI (at least for USA watchers). You need to have a subscription to access the episodes though. This is great news for me because I prefer the iQIYI app to TencentVideo's. 

The music video for Wang YiBo's song came out today too.

New posters.

• Like 1
  • Party! 1
12 hours ago, themarchioness said:

Li Sheng. I just finished watching up to 11.

Ugh, I know! When he got Ms. Wang killed because of his carelessness, I was so annoyed. He gets a tad bit better later on but still as frustrating too. I really do not understand his thinking sometimes. Hopefully, Chu Chu's influence can change him a bit. 

9 hours ago, NiteWalker said:

definitely....i usually avoid being the person to hold the camera when possible when we are doing group selfie lols

I usually get selected to take a photo and my head always look 10 times bigger than everyone else. :pandasadspoon:

• Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
7 hours ago, Tofu said:

Ugh, I know! When he got Ms. Wang killed because of his carelessness, I was so annoyed. He gets a tad bit better later on but still as frustrating too. I really do not understand his thinking sometimes. Hopefully, Chu Chu's influence can change him a bit. 

I usually get selected to take a photo and my head always look 10 times bigger than everyone else. :pandasadspoon:

oh i always give the excuse im too short cause im really short hahaha

• Haha 1