The Uncanny Counter 경이로운 소문 [S1: 2020-2021] [S2: 2023]

Tofu

1 hour ago, Tofu said:

Really? What an interesting twist. 

Yeah, in that preview, it flashes by really quick but I believe I saw he was on hospital bed and opening his eyes. This also means there's another new spirit from Yung, huh? I wonder who plays the new spirit.

Edit: Ah, found the picture.

FzhvOuZaAAAMQuk?format=jpg&name=medium

Hey @JenL Put this in your calendar 😊

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 2
  • Party! 1

@mademoiselle I don't know, I feel like the villains with that kind of look are always very funny. Like they usually fail before they start. Haha! Right now, I can't take his character seriously because how he looks is so crazy. :laugh:

Sam Sik is so much easier, but who knows...maybe we might get used to his new name later too. 

• Haha 2

Season 2 aired on the end of July right? I still got time to re-watch season 1 to familiarize myself with the drama and how the story should go again :laugh:

I do glad that we have all original cast members to play in season 2 again.. Because of that rumour about So Mun's actor (gosh I forgot his name already since it has been too long since season 1) I thought they will replace him.. I think I did see comment about some k-netz that aren't happy that he already back on tv again.. but K-netz are unhappy will a lot of things.. and several older actors with controversies also still play as leading role.. soo.. :pandablind:

• Like 3

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

I don't know why I am having a hard time taking Kang Ki Young seriously as the villain. LOL...But since this show has that comic book feel to it, I suppose I will get used to it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Party! 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

• 2 weeks later...

S2 Episode 1

The introduction of episode 1 was exciting and action packed, giving our beloved Counters some grandiose entrance. Obviously they managed to stop the evil spirit, and the whole time I was wondering when So Mun will appear.

I'm not sure I like the current So Mun. I miss the sweet, innocent boy he once was. The new powerful So Mun comes off a little bit less humble now and I don't like the deliberate and exaggerated comedy from Mo Tak especially just to move a baseball. There was no sight of So Mun's besties, which was one of the major highlights in S1.

S2 began with the information that So Mun gave up on attending University (more like he didn't pass his entrance exams), so I assume his besties went. Mo Tak went back to being a police, so he's juggling between police and Counter's duty. The CEO is helping out fighting evil because the Counters are short of staff. They are recruiting, so this is why we have Sam Sik (sorry, still can't remember new name haha!) joining later.

The Chinese Mandarin speaking bit from the Korean actors was really cringey! I have a wish that I'll never have to hear them speak Chinese in any kdramas! Luckily the Chinese Counters could speak better Mandarin. Anyone knows if the youngest member of the Chinese Counters is a Chinese actor or idol in Korean group?

The stake is higher for our beloved Counters in S2 because these new evil villains killed the Chinese Counters (Really? Do they really need to be portrayed to be this weak? LOL) and absorbed their powers. To counter our Counters' attack, they too, possess the power of healing, mind reading and psychokinesis (which Kang Ki Young already has).

So Mun, on the other hand, is likely the most powerful of all Counters and definitely will be a target of Kang Ki Young. I think So Mun is an all arounder kind of Counter as he has powers that any Counters have in addition to what others don't i.e., summoning the territory at will, read minds and now psychokinesis. At this point, I hadn't seen So Mun gaining the capability to heal, and I'm curious as to what other power(s) he might develop to fight off Kang Ki Young & et al.

I wonder what CEO Choi and newbie Sam Sik's powers are. So far I could find is Sam Sik has a good sense of smell.

Actor Jin Seon Kyu who plays the firefighter Ma Joo Seok will later become a villain. I'm banking on him later on being the key character that will overturn the situation in the end because I believe he still possesses a good heart deep inside and his relationship to the Counters and So Mun's Halmoni.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

I was thoroughly entertained. The fight scenes were the highlight for me. The final scene in the warehouse was so well choreographed and staged. There was more clowning than last season in this first episode. Most of it was palatable. I'm glad that I did a rewatch with my daughter recently because two members of my family had forgotten quite a bit and were throwing out all kinds of questions.

I don't mind upgrade So Mun. The telekinesis was put to humorous effect. There's an edge to him which I like because it's a natural progression from a side of him that was seen even in S1 where took on the school bullies and just about killed them. I also like that he's less emotional. But he's still great with kids as he was in S1. 

My main criticism would be how the Chinese counters were written. It was clunky and obvious. Kang Ki-young's not-so-great Mandarin aside, the C counters had terrible teamwork didn't take important precautions and were clearly sacrificial lambs for the evil spirits so that they could level up. I suppose with only 12 episodes to spare they didn't want to spend a lot of time setting up the stakes.

Other than that it's a promising start. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

@mademoiselle @40somethingahjumma I'm glad both of you feel the same about the Chinese part too. I thought it was messy and could have been done better. 

I think my expectations might have been too high. I found myself questioning some of the random comedic scenes wondering if they were really necessary. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed both episodes. 

Kang Ki Young's makeup and styling for this drama is so fitting (even though we previously made fun of it). I completely buy him as the big baddie. 

Seems like Jeok Bong is going to be able to smell out evil spirit. I wonder if he'll have more powers than just that. 

Good to see that they confirmed Mun as the most powerful counter. I like this upgraded Mun and @mademoiselle, I think episode 2 showed more of what I remembered of Mun from S1. 

Not sure if I shared this on here yet:

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Episode 2

@Tofu So much better than episode 1. Less silliness too, though Mo Tak's exaggerated demeaner is still annoying. However, is it because So Mun is too powerful he has less screen time in combat😓? It's the second time now he keeps "coming" late in the fight. You're right, I was happy to see the old So Mun back with his chingu deul (hahaha, they are dating and So Mun saw it!) and that caring side of him.

Kang Ki Young's playing the big boss this time definitely up the bar. That last scene where he walks in, turned around slightly and meet eyes with So Mun was awesome. I felt like I'm watching a manhwa character coming to life and he's got that Batman villain style. The coin flipping is typical Two Face's trait. Kang Ki Young also deliberately lose weight which makes his face a lot more chisel and depth to that villain look.

Please don't tell me CEO Choi will die next.

BTW, Wi Gen's original host died but she was able to escape. How is it that this time all of the Chinese Counters died and none of their Yung counterparts survive? Though Wi Gen did get lucky and found So Mun in time before she perishes.

Back to Kang Ki Young, love that he's so badass that he has gone to the noodle shop to meet So Mun and the two has a psychokinesis face-off then and there. Do you guys think this guy especially dislike kids? The moment he hears Min Ji said she is pregnant, it makes him more eager in ensuring she dies.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
8 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

BTW, Wi Gen's original host died but she was able to escape. How is it that this time all of the Chinese Counters died and none of their Yung counterparts survive? Though Wi Gen did get lucky and found So Mun in time before she perishes.

I think Wi Gen got lucky in finding So Mun. Also, there was something about So Mun calling out to Wi Gen to him (even though he didn't realize that he was doing that), rather than Wi Gen selecting SM as being an appropriate Counter.

With the other Counter pairs, when something happens to the mortal counterparts, the Yung counterparts are also endangered or die, unless they are able to transfer quickly to a new pairing.

Please don't tell me CEO Choi will die next.

NOOOOOOOO! :cry:  I really hope he doesn't need to be sacrificed.

Back to Kang Ki Young, love that he's so badass that he has gone to the noodle shop to meet So Mun and the two has a psychokinesis face-off then and there. Do you guys think this guy especially dislike kids? The moment he hears Min Ji said she is pregnant, it makes him more eager in ensuring she dies.

Perhaps it's just a hallmark of evil that they hate kids? I mean, most kids are open and innocent, the antithesis of evil. Other than demon seed kids, of course. :)

16 hours ago, Tofu said:

Kang Ki Young's makeup and styling for this drama is so fitting (even though we previously made fun of it). I completely buy him as the big baddie. 

I was shocked by KKY's transformation into the villain. I totally buy him as the villain. My Chinese is non-existent, so no comments on that one, but that's too bad that his Mandarin was so mangled. So, I guess it's good that I can't understand his terrible Mandarin which may interfere with my appreciation of him as the Big Bad?

16 hours ago, Tofu said:

Good to see that they confirmed Mun as the most powerful counter. I like this upgraded Mun and @mademoiselle, I think episode 2 showed more of what I remembered of Mun from S1. 

I like this version of So Mun as well. While Season 1 So Mun was more innocent, eager, and sweet, Season 2 So Mun has clearly been through a lot. He's gained some positives but still has a lot to learn even if his being the most powerful Counter has made him cocky. I think SM learning more will be a part of this Season's arc rather than just having SM be all powerful and all that. I mean, if one is the most powerful superbeing blessed by the heavens even, how do you make it challenging for him other than by exploring his humanity, with all of its flaws and beauty?

I wondered if SM being late all the time was a bit of a nod to the controversy surrounding the actor after Season 1, and the subsequent questions of whether he'll be a part of Season 2 or not. Glad to see him anyway.

On 7/30/2023 at 1:10 AM, 40somethingahjumma said:

I don't mind upgrade So Mun. The telekinesis was put to humorous effect. There's an edge to him which I like because it's a natural progression from a side of him that was seen even in S1 where took on the school bullies and just about killed them. I also like that he's less emotional. But he's still great with kids as he was in S1. 

Yes, what @40somethingahjumma said!

Anyway, I'm not sure that I'm as emotionally invested in Season 2, but then again, it's still in the early episodes. Plus, I'm really not watching much else other than "The Real Has Come", and that one is because I'm watching it with my mum.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Episode 3

The beginning was awesome, with both of them using psychokinesis against each other. One makes the whole building tremble whilst the other tries to calm the trembling. But it also worries me greatly that Kang Ki Young's power is already as strong as So Mun's without needing much hard work. At this point I thought So Mun might be a little bit weaker as he was panting hard and then collapses to the ground with nose bleed meanwhile Kang Ki Young wasn't panting and only has nose bleed and was walking just fine. How is it that in almost all of the super power themed films or dramas, the villains always master their powers without practice whereas the good guys always have to put in extra effort to master theirs? Fingers crossed So Mun's power is the kind where the stronger his opponents are the stronger he becomes...

I suppose So Mun still has plenty of room for improvement because he's that special one who is capable of summoning the Yung / Wi Gen. He was probably born to wield these powers of the universe (so to speak).

I was thinking it was way too early for Kang Ki Young and So Mun to have a face-off only in episode 3. It doesn't look good that the preview of episode 4 showed So Mun pinned onto the wall. When he stopped the spear in midway, I seriously wished he would direct that at the other akgwi. It'd be a smarter thing to do and least expected too. At least let the good guys take one out since they are going to recruit Ma Joo Seok who has now become an akgwi.

We have a little gloomy moment as Mo Tak and Mae Ok discussed about their retirement. CEO Choi survived episode 3, so I hope he'll be fine in episode 4. I think he's fine. We can't have anymore Counters dying. And LOL with Jeok Bong's power. Such a weird power to have but it seems like he not only has the power to smell them out but he attracts them to him (from preview)! That'd make Counters' job easier!

Such a cool entrance from the So Mun, enhanced by the BGM.

P.S. Was anyone creep out by Ma Joo Seok's possession scene?

Episode 4 Pre-release

For now, the villains lost but...

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1

I've finally caught up on all existing episodes. Who knew getting 4 people to sit down together to watch the same telly show could be so challenging.

The show gets better with every episode and despite all the violence, there are still plenty of heartwarming moments here and there among the members. It isn't wall to wall action. On the other hand the talk of retirement and ageing sounded ominous and gave me the jitters. No doubt the team is feeling the pressure of having to confront the three super villains. No doubt it's why Mo-tak and Ha-na are going hammer and tongs in the training. 

I wonder too if we will see more of Ha-na's high school boyfriend(?). I can't imagine that they would introduce him in such an elaborate way and for him to be used only to lead us to the newbie's unique ability.

The first and last 10 minutes of Episode 3 had me on tenterhooks. Hwang taunting Mun as if he had discovered his weakness set them as antithesis. Hwang is an anti-Mun.  "You have a lot to protect". For Hwang whose powers are stolen from others he can't comprehend a good kid like Mun whose strength and abilities comes from a place of wanting to help and protect.

The three supervillains remind me of DC's Joker, Harley Quinn and Harvey Dent.

• Like 2

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

I appreciate the moments of warmth amongst our team members, but for some reason, I'm finding this season to be a lot creepier than Season 1. I keep wondering what would happen if the villains somehow managed to get hold of So Mun's power to call forth the Yung...

i have to think that the firefighter will somehow come around to the good guys side, though not sure how.

• Like 2

The fight at the start of episode 4 was really captivating. What I like about this fight is that it's not just a simple action scene but it actually reveals Kang Ki Young relied a lot on his psychokinesis power that he lacks actual combat skills. I was wondering if So Mun would have advantage over him as he's more experience and voila, this scene showed it straight away he is used to controlling and can't multitask using his psychokinesis power and his fists. In this round, So Mun was clearly on the upper hand. What he said also gave us insight to his background - he was bored because his opponents were weaker than him.

I'm so glad the Counters took down one of the akgwi and release the Chinese Counter. At least now they don't have an akgwi that can heal them! Even if they recruited Ma Joo Seok, it is still 3 vs 5! Phew. To be honest, I feel Mae Ok should retire to behind the scenes and on standby as a healer instead because it's no use to the team if she is injured just as bad as them and how will she heal herself? That said, her tag team with Mo Tak could be the solution to their ageing problem and no longer as strong as they used to.

This season felt a lot darker particular for the scene where the akgwi tried to take over Ma Joo Seok. There was some deja vu moment where I thought I'm looking at Gollum coz the actor portraying the akgwi speaks and sounds just like Gollum (Lord of the Rings). Hope this scene is not considered scary for you both, @JenL and @Tofu?

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1