The Uncanny Counter 경이로운 소문 [S1: 2020-2021] [S2: 2023]

Tofu

I’ve just caught up on the latest episode from where I left two weeks ago and the counters never fail to entertain me with their fun teamwork and So Mun will never not make me cry with his desperation to find/free his parents. I love Mo-Tak as a counter for sure but if it’s just for being a person with no counter powers, I love So Mun the most. It’s true when Mo-Tak told him that he has changed (and in all the good ways) despite the bad and the evil get away again. So Mun was already a strong character to begin with, someone who wants to live on for the people who love and cared for him so he can watch their backs too. Being a counter was to give him more insights of how much stronger (not just physically) he actually can be. He now learns to measure his anger too even though it's not always going to be 100% success just as Ms Chu said; he really really tried his best.

I love seeing the part where So Mun, again facing his school bullies at the alley, did not falter in the end. I have to admit, that was my main concern of him being back in school without his powers. Another thought I had about this scene was what So Mun said to Shin Hyeok-u that they are still young and have a chance. For a second, I wonder if Shin Hyeok might have a redemption ark since he does hate his father and possibly (if no evil spirit gets him first) create a better school environment and a better city to live in especially for the future generation, together with the likes of So Mun, his school/best friends and the counters. 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 3
  • Clapping Hands 1
On 1/3/2021 at 6:39 AM, stroppyse said:

:GengarCool:The Uncanny Event :HaunterOK:

We wanted to celebrate this drama that we're so enthralled with, so we have a special badge for you if you answer 1 question.

Who is your favorite Counter and why?

Or if you have another favorite character other than a Counter, that would be acceptable as well. Let us know what you think! :pandaevil:

Ohh..am I late to this event? I hope not :psweatduck:

My favourite counter is Ga Mo Tak. He's  complete package:heart:..Brain, strength, good cook (Noodles!), witty, fierce but cute and adorable hahaha..he loose temper at times but he's still looks cool for me. 

But I do love So Mun Bestfriend duo too so I am torn:letalQQ:..

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 3
  • Party! 2

One of my fave things about this drama is the precious friendship among the three :

the cine 21 pictorial is out ! Lots of lovely photos as posted by @JenL above 

http://m.cine21.com/news/view/?mag_id=96941

BTS posted by Namoo for ahjussi wit the best abs 

• Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 4

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Ep.11 is so awesome! I was practically on the edge of my seat at the earlier part when they were fighting the evil spirits. 

Evil Shin just gotten stronger again because he killed one of his recruits there and then so as to “eat” his spirit. That tells you just how evil he is. But what is awesome is that the victim’s spirit that was released from that recruit’s body actually went to Yung through SM, enabling SM to communicate with those in Yung. And SM could actually summon WiGen into his body from his desperate pleading? At least that’s how I see it...

Oh, that fight scene though, after all the other three Counters were knocked out, I felt that they’re purposely dragging the agony for us. It’s good that we have a preview and stills showing most of them being alright, so we know they’ll be fine and we’ll find them at the hospital. Only MO’s fate is unknown. Even till the last minute, it’s hard to tell whether she will make it then or somehow passed away and gotten back again. I was sobbing like the other Counters watching her at the end of her lifeline, with her backstory revealed to us of how she went into coma and how SuHo died... and love triumphed! To be exact, a mother’s love triumphed!... I have to admit throughout the time of waiting for MO to come around, I kept willing SM to try and heal MO. I somehow still think he will have this ability to heal others as well 😎

We have seen how strong the bond among our Counters, and we’re shown the contrast in the evil spirit (ES) team. Already Shin killed one ES on the spot to increase his power (wonder what level he is now😱) and at the end of the fighting scene, three ES left two ES behind, trapping them together with our Counters to let them die in explosion, stating they’re not needed anymore. Then at their hideout, Shin and the female ES were arguing and threatening each other 🤦🏻‍♀️

One rant I have about this episode will be how abrupt the change of attitude of those in Yung towards SM when he was reinstated. That part was not natural and could’ve been written better I think. 

Anyway, I didn’t finish the episode with 3 minutes left. Stopped when it was still peaceful scene because I have a guess of what’s coming as cliffhanger, and I probably cannot wait for the next episode which is still almost 24 hours wait from now, haha...

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

Ep.11 is so awesome! I was practically on the edge of my seat at the earlier part when they were fighting the evil spirits. 

I was cringing while watching the fighting scenes and feel bad for Ms Chu because she got beaten pretty bad. I felt the ghost pain when Ha Na and Mo Tak were badly beaten by the evil spirits. When Evil Shin bang Mo Tak's head with a concrete I held my breath while patting my own head because it must be so hurt. :scaredpanda2:

I was sobbing like the other Counters watching her at the end of her lifeline, with her backstory revealed to us of how she went into coma and how SuHo died... and love triumphed! To be exact, a mother’s love triumphed!... I have to admit throughout the time of waiting for MO to come around, I kept willing SM to try and heal MO. I somehow still think he will have this ability to heal others as well 😎

Yeah agree with this. Yeom Hye Ran's acting was so powerful when Ms Chu and Su Ho were reunited for the first time. We didn't know what made them fell into the water and why Su Ho was the only one drowned while Ms Chu can stay alive, but it was so painful and touching when they finally can hug each other again. I secretly hope that Moon somehow develop a small ability to heal for other counters too. Give him more power since he can summon the spirit partner and finally summon the Yung territory too :MewGiggle:

But what is awesome is that the victim’s spirit that was released from that recruit’s body actually went to Yung through SM, enabling SM to communicate with those in Yung. And SM could actually summon WiGen into his body from his desperate pleading? At least that’s how I see it...

This I wonder how the human soul went to Moon's body instead of ascending to Yung. And Wi Gen was literally summoned to Moon's body even if it's not her wishes to help him. I guess since the production team have plan for season 2, we will explore more about this in next season. :thinking:

One rant I have about this episode will be how abrupt the change of attitude of those in Yung towards SM when he was reinstated. That part was not natural and could’ve been written better I think. 

200% agree. This part was quite weird and rushed. 

And darn it when bad people once again did something against someone who is pursuing to punish them with justice. Poor Mo Tak who just gained his memory but then has to see something that he couldn't forget forever. :cry: (purposely didn't write what happen for those who haven't watch the episode)

I went against my plan for new year's goal to not stay up late and sleep before midnight. I was too curious about what happen with Ms Chu. Now it's almost 2 am LOL

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

6 hours ago, LaLa said:

And darn it when bad people once again did something against someone who is pursuing to punish them with justice. Poor Mo Tak who just gained his memory but then has to see something that he couldn't forget forever.  (purposely didn't write what happen for those who haven't watch the episode)

That is why I stopped watching with 3 minutes left. Because I probably cannot go to sleep and will be restless the whole day waiting for ep.12 to air 😅

6 hours ago, LaLa said:

I went against my plan for new year's goal to not stay up late and sleep before midnight. I was too curious about what happen with Ms Chu. Now it's almost 2 am LOL

LOL!! I made the same NY resolution ie. bed before 12, and even tracking it the BuJo way. So far last night was the second time I slept past midnight 😝 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

On 1/6/2021 at 3:25 PM, abs-oluteM said:

So his abs didn't play a role ? :GrowDerp:..kidding/....

@jeijei @Mapleoaks5 @eNDe @Just_Me @joccu__ @LaLa @cherrhys88 don't forget to tell @stroppyse who your favourite counter or even character is for the event! I know it is hard to choose...

For some reason , I laughed my head off...it just sounds exactly like how I imagine his character to be.

My favorite counter is definitely Ha-na with So-Mun as a close second :smile:

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 3
17 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

+1.

I also thought it was either sly or sloppy to leave out the reason as to why So Mun could summon WiGen back into his body. I mean, for one that would be the first thing I, as Counter, would ask. The reason is probably as we thought that he could be The One, but still, I much prefer it is confirmed by the Show.

And the last scene, what can I say... it's predictable and something I had seen before *cough* City Hunter *cough* but up until it really happened, I was sincerely hoping the writer wouldn't be so cruel to Mo Tak. Sigh.

Honestly, we're on episode 11, can we hurry up and train So Mun up to speed? With the confirmation of S2, I suppose this season will probably end with them locking up the normal human villains first and Shin et al will leave the country and return in S2. There's no way the Counters are strong enough to fight 3 evil demons (together they are ~level 9) when all of them are required to fight just one level 3 demon, even though it seems the demons might chew each other out first.

LOLLL, I've forgotten how much she beats up Mo Tak

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

nooooooooo...how can they  do that to Mo Tak...that was way cruel. I was already crying buckets when Mae Ok was struggling between life & death. The story of her son drowning and how she somehow survived broke my heart. Not easy to live through that. But then the drama decided to up the stakes for Mo Tak at the end. Urghhhhh 

At the beginning, I was feeling mighty frustrated that the demons were winning and that the Yung folks seem so slow to react . But like you guys , I was surprised that So Mun was able to summon Wigen into his body. This kid is indeed special.

New stills

https://sports.chosun.com/news/ntype.htm?id=202101100100062110003778&servicedate=20210110

2021011001000621100037781.jpg

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

This show is really such a torturous roller coaster ride and it's fast turning into a weekly tear fest. Episode 11 is probably the most nerve-racking episode so far. I was on tenterhooks 90% of the time. I felt Mun's pain and anxiety the whole time he was watching the others get beaten up and he could do nothing. 

After the last few minutes of the episode the other half was protesting, "Why am I watching this show?" My normally mild-mannered husband was ready to hit the ceiling when we saw Jeong-yeong slumped over the wheel in her car. Apparently the drama has to sledgehammer home the fact that this is a cruel world and none of us are allowed to relax for an instant. It's obvious that the show really wants us to hate the bad guys. Really.  My answer to my spouse's rhetorical question was... "Because it is good."

I am a firm believer that it is a good show even if it kills people that you like or if it kills people that the people you like care about deeply.

The reality is... as the other half was telling the younger offspring later... Mo-tak needs to be completely focused. Perhaps in his new role he can't be distracted or have a divided heart. That's why his memories were taken from him in the first place. Once he became a Counter there was no turning back.

I'm reminded once again that The Counter family is the most delightful thing in this show. Chairman Choi makes the same observation when they share their first meal together after the fight of their lives. They feel like such a natural fit and it's so easy to be completely invested in their team dynamic and individual personalities. Between this and Sweet Home, it has some of the best character development I've ever seen from Kdramaland especially considering that they are action adventure superhero shows of some description. When the team was sending Mo-tak off on his date with Jeong-yeong they acted like a noisy, meddlesome family. As you'd expect of people who really like each other. Mae-ok was acting like Mum. Chairman Choi was acting like a generous Dad, Ha-na was the bossy younger sister and Mun was the cheeky younger brother who couldn't contain his excitement. Whatever they lost, these people found something in their "new normal". 

I always reach for my favourite superhero stories to make sense of what the show is doing. I think I've made the Batman/Bruce Wayne comparisons before. Corruption is rife and the cops are part of the problem. The only good one left falls prey to the overwhelming corrupt forces. in tragic fashion. Evil has many faces. The demons are another type of villainy that resemble the crazies that have escaped Arkham Asylum in Batman lore and are running riot because the political powers enable them. There's really not a lot of honour among thieves. Allies one day, discarded rubbish the next. So much for teamwork among the demon types. Moreover the collaboration between Ji Cheong-sin and the shopping spree spirit seems very tenuous at best. My enemy's enemy is my friend can only go so far if egos and a lack of trust surface at the slightest bone of contention. Expediency is not a long-term substitute for trust, loyalty and genuine affection. 

This serves as a contrast to the Counter crew whose bonds go much deeper because they are willing to do the one thing that the evil spirits are incapable of: self-sacrifice. After some mis-starts and wobbly moments, the Counters become a better team for having experienced the valley of the shadow of death as individuals and as a team. Being a team is more than working well together or even having a unified purpose. A team that is flourishing is one that cares. While the evil spirits ransack, pillage and destroy, a family nurtures, gives and loves. We saw the contrast between the "leadership styles" of JCS and Mae-ok. He took, he destroyed and he exploited the "weaknesses" of others whereas she is the archetypal  self-sacrifcing Healer.  Mo-tak offered himself as the shield for the two women. JCS used the lower level demons for the job and then he left them behind. He is a loner and prefers to remain so. None of the demons really care about each other in the long term. They do only what is necessary to get on. They're inherently self-centred and they gain more power by feeding on the life force of others. Their entire existence is predicted on the survival of the fittest. It won't take much to fracture any kind of temporary cooperation among them once it becomes clear that it's not in their interest to do so. That is a weakness I'd like to see the good guys try to exploit.

Mun proves in some fashion that he is still The Uncanny Counter. From where I was looking, it seemed that he had the ability not only to summon Yung territory but to summon Wigen by sheer force of will. The impulse to save rather than to hurt (so we're led to think) is what distinguishes this power encounter from the previous one. I don't think any of us were really surprised at his quick reinstatement because in desperate times desperate measures are called for. More than that, Mun has learnt some very important lessons. Lessons that were better learnt from what transpired at that abandoned warehouse than the stripping off his Counter privileges.

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

I am waiting for ep.12 to drop at Netflix. But I am dreading to watch the last few minutes of ep.11. because I couldn’t help but read some words from posts above ~ “how could they do that” “cruel”... not sounding good at all 😓😓😓 Am preparing my heart...

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

MTDzeiV.gif

15 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I am waiting for ep.12 to drop at Netflix. But I am dreading to watch the last few minutes of ep.11. because I couldn’t help but read some words from posts above ~ “how could they do that” “cruel”... not sounding good at all 😓😓😓 Am preparing my heart...

I am also waiting....prepare tissue...

Let me post some BTS

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 3

I started watching where I left off already... All I can say is Thanks PD-nim that we the viewers are spared of the process. It was done gently yet not lessening any impact. Didn’t make it any less sad for sure. Tears welling inside my eyes now. For sure I wouldn’t be able to go to bed last night if I had watched it then. Okay, off to ep.12! Time for payback!!

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2

MTDzeiV.gif

13 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I also thought it was either sly or sloppy to leave out the reason as to why So Mun could summon WiGen back into his body. I mean, for one that would be the first thing I, as Counter, would ask. The reason is probably as we thought that he could be The One, but still, I much prefer it is confirmed by the Show.

It would probably be explained later. We’re only at ep.12 now. I don’t think any of the Counters know about this though, even for SM. He probably thought WiGen was granting his pleas for her to come in. 

Ep.12 is “gentle” compared to 11. Not a roller coaster ride for sure, but a lot happened in moving the plot ahead. I am just a bit wary that Mayor Shin is already arrested and yet we still have 4 more episodes to cover. This victory seems to come a little too early. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

On 1/10/2021 at 3:49 AM, ktcjdrama said:

I was sobbing like the other Counters watching her at the end of her lifeline, with her backstory revealed to us of how she went into coma and how SuHo died... and love triumphed! To be exact, a mother’s love triumphed!... I have to admit throughout the time of waiting for MO to come around, I kept willing SM to try and heal MO. I somehow still think he will have this ability to heal others as well

I loved finding out MO's backstory. It was so tragic that she felt such a guilt of being unable to save her son when they were dying. It must have ate away at her in her coma state. Luckily, she was able to be reunited with him...I wonder how it is he came to be a Yung person though? :thinking:

On 1/10/2021 at 3:49 AM, ktcjdrama said:

I also had a thing that bothered me about Yung. It wasn't this, though I totally agree that those Yung people were wayyy too weirdly forgiving...and where did those additional 100 people come from?? :laugh:

The thing I was puzzled about was why SuHo was faint already MO was knocked out...but all the Yung people were fine when MT and HN were also being beaten to a pulp by the other level 3 demons? Their Yung Guardians were still functioning, but just freaking about about Wigen who was going to SM. I felt like that was a tiny bit inconsistent...?

But honestly that is a very tiny thing since I looooove this show and they've been doing every other thing soooo right in this series  :idk:

On 1/10/2021 at 6:08 PM, mademoiselle said:

This special effects is pretty cool - the reflection of fire in So Mun's eyes.

Not going to lie, when I saw this on Instagram before I watched the episode I thought that SM had somehow turned evil! :laugh: There was no context, ok?! 

Edited by JenL
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

16 minutes ago, JenL said:

The thing I was puzzled about was why SuHo was faint already MO was knocked out...but all the Yung people were fine when MT and HN were also being beaten to a pulp by the other level 3 demons? Their Yung Guardians were still functioning, but just freaking about about Wigen who was going to SM. I felt like that was a tiny bit inconsistent...?

Is it because in Mae Ok's case she was on the brink of death , hence SuHo passed out?

------------------------

Eps 12 ,,,gahhhh what was I expecting ? This is OCN after all. OCN ain't gonna give us a fairy tale romance  :nervous:

Spoiler

The beginning of eps 12 was really sad. It really does seem unfair considering that he just regained his memories . But I supposed this is the show's way of strengthening Mo Tak's resolve in making sure that they bring an end to all this , not that I had ever doubted any of our Counter's commitment to the cause. 

Eps 12 had plenty of plot developments but my favourite bit was in the small quite moment where So Mun accompanied Mo Tak for a drink. The conversation reminded me about why So Mun is indeed the special one . Physical abilities aside, SM had already demonstrated a lot inner strength since he was a kid . He had to deal with his parents death and his leg problems - but he was never angry or rebellious. You can see the way he treat his best friends and his grandparents with love and kindness. He is a pure spirit and that is probably the reason why he is the chosen one. 

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

On 1/10/2021 at 8:27 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

Apparently the drama has to sledgehammer home the fact that this is a cruel world and none of us are allowed to relax for an instant. It's obvious that the show really wants us to hate the bad guys. Really.  My answer to my spouse's rhetorical question was... "Because it is good."

I love that this show has such darkness, but also maintains a balance of light and shows how having family and friends can drive away that darkness. The world is not necessarily a safe and happy place...but if you have people who care about you and you also strive to genuinely care for others, you can fight all those bad experiences and even work towards creating a better place for everyone :BulbaOWO:

I can't take superhero/ fantasy shows seriously if the villains are not super evil. I guess that's why I always loved Dark Knight but couldn't stand the Avengers. Villains in the real world are not cheesy - they're often pure evil but wear a human face. I think it's good not to trivialise 'evil' in media, especially the kinds that we consume the most - film and TV, but to show it for what it is so that we're reminded of what it is and how to behave and call it out when we encounter it ourselves. :YesHalCat:

• Heart Eyes 4

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days