The Uncanny Counter 경이로운 소문 [S1: 2020-2021] [S2: 2023]

Tofu

1 hour ago, JenL said:

and where did those additional 100 people come from??

Same here. I was wondering who are they? Why is their presence necessary during the reinstatement... The reinstatement could come a bit later, to make it not feel so out of place in the plot progress. 

I actually have another (production) rant about beginning of ep.12, but as respect to the dead and those mourning, I decided to let it slide and not mention it. Let’s just say I was between sobbing and being bewildered. 

• Like 6

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

I think the headache I got after watching ep 11-12 was due to massive crying sessions in between.

On a fun note, I love that I get to see Mo-Tak in specs. hehe.

Reminds me of the first time I watched Yoo Jun-Sang in Falsify (2017), he looks good in suits, specs and slippers - a must-watch if you like Mo-Tak! 

spacer.png

Edited by eNDe
  • Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 3

New stills...

According to the production crew , So Mun will start training to control his emotions & ability to summon the Yung territory 

https://www.sedaily.com/NewsView/22H9KPHMZX

22H9KPHMZX_1.jpg

Truly the Uncanny Counter, So Mun is finally able to control Ji Cheong Sin

https://sports.donga.com/article/all/20210116/104949441/1

104949433.1.jpg

In the still cut released by the production crew, Cho Byeong-gyu steals the gaze with a sense of urgency that overpowers Lee Hong-nae of'the evil spirit'. In a determined expression staring at Lee Hong-na, as if waiting only for this moment, Cho Byeong-gyu puts his hand on Lee Hong-nae's chest and puts Summon Jung in front of his nose to explodes curiosity. On the other hand, Lee Hong-nae causes goosebumps on the viewer's whole body with a bloody face. While struggling with pain as if about to be summoned, a sharp contrast with Cho Byeong-gyu's tragic expression creates a sense of tension before the storm.

Meanwhile, a scene in the 13th trailer was released, where SoMun shouted, "I'm summoning you, a demon." Ji Cheong-shin is Cheolcheon Ji-won who swallowed their souls after killing rumored parents (Jeon Seok-ho and Son Ye-eun) seven years ago, and rumors are working at the counter, dreaming of reuniting with their parents.

The production crew said, “The moment that Cho Byeong-gyu was so eagerly awaited is ahead.” After taking luck, “Please check with this broadcast whether the reunion of the Cho Byeong-gyu & his family can be achieved”.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Oh no... what does the above article mean for the show?? Now I am worried...

Ep.13 was another awesome episode. But the ending was so unexpected. I wasn’t surprised that the kid came forward to help. And despite being one/complete with the evil spirit, JCS still has a soft spot for little kids. I really don’t know how to feel about this. He actually stopped the evil in him from killing and “eating” the kid. 

What will the action he did at the end do to the host body? Most importantly the souls trapped within him? We still have 3 episodes to go, but it’s like we’re reaching the end soon. What other twist will we see? 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

@mademoiselle @ktcjdrama seems like the rumour was already going around at least among knetz who felt that the scriptwriter did not follow the webtoon closely & that the pace was too slow.

Naver article: https://tenasia.hankyung.com/drama/article/2021011796224

The author of the OCN weekend drama 'The Uncanny Counter' has been replaced. Among the drama fans in the second half, there was talk  that the writer would be replaced because the storyt was too different from the original webtoon and sluggish development, so it seems the  "writer change rumour'' was real.

OCN said on the 17th, "The authors are leaving because of mutual discussions due to differences in opinions on the second half of the drama" It is known that the 13th episode, which aired the previous day, was written by producer Yoo Sun-dong, the director. In the future, a new writer will be added to finish. The previous day's broadcast had an audience rating of 9.4% (provided by Nielsen Korea), a slight decline from the last episode (10.6%).

BF.25028073.1.jpg

In the broadcast that day, Ji Cheong-sin (played by Lee Hong-nae), who is the perfect demon, became the final stage of the demon and the host and the demon merged into one. So Mun (played by Cho Byeong-gyu) spurred training in order to freely control Jung's territory , and eventually learned the method of summoning 'the desire to save someone'.

Ji Cheong-sin and Counters had a death match, and Ji-Cheong-shin was shocked by making an extreme choice by aiming a muzzle at his temple. Rumor (Cho Byeong-gyu) has emerged as a true controller of Jung's territory.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

@abs-oluteM I think this had already happened at the time when they announce they will not air for one week due to internal issue, right? It certainly cause some uncertainty for this change and I hope it is for the better. I didn't mention it last week as I didn't want the post to be filled with negative rants, there are a fair few bits and pieces where I thought the show should be clearer in its story-telling, careful with editing or the details and so on.

Back to episode 13, I thought Yung people said evil Shin has now merged completely with the demon and that he'll not die? But then he kills himself at the end..? I guess I'll wait for episode 14 to be clearer but is it what I'd mentioned before that the demon eventually possessed Mayor Shin instead (I thought at first the demon would pick his son because he said to him "see you again").

• Like 4

@mademoiselle @ktcjdrama  @LaLa  Makes sense now why they halted the episodes during Christmas. Anyway filming is finished.

Spoiler

New stills

https://www.fnnews.com/news/202101171017486833

202101171018510442_l.jpg

Will miss them when the season is over

Best team! missing JBG

https://www.ytn.co.kr/_sn/0117_202101171721557208

Spoiler

202101171721557208_d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

I watched ep.14 already. Almost finished, haha... keeping the last 6 minutes right before they’re going to confront Evil Mayor Shin, because I’m not sure if I can handle the cliffhanger, which I have no idea/guess about, and wait a week for new episode. I will just wait for some spoilers before watching the last 6 minutes 😝

For me, not much happened in ep.14. Only the thought of these evil spirits really just kill people left and right to become stronger. Which leads to a question about our counters... is there no way they can ever get stronger? Besides being in Yung territory, I mean. How could they defeat a strong opponent then? By outnumbering the evil spirit? That means they will need new recruits. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

MTDzeiV.gif

O yeah!! Son Ho Jun cameo as the additional counter 😎 Can he be added permanently in Season 2? I can easily imagine him being part of the team. 

Can I hope nothing happen to Bully Shin? I know he’s bad but I still wished his life could be spared... chances are small, I know. 

• Like 3

MTDzeiV.gif

I agree with @ktcjdrama. Not much happen in episode 14. The capturing of Jo Tae Shin came off way too easy IMO, although it felt good seeing him taking punches from Mo Tak and Mae Ok. I genuinely wish they didn't have to heal him because he deserved all the pain he had caused. I appreciated the short moment of Mae Ok and Suho's story. It made me teared up again.

It's also getting repetitive/redundant with the demon escaping once more based on episode 15 preview. At least, you know, let the Counters capture the lady demon. Let's hope she is dealt with at least in the early part of episode 15. :idk: ... doubt it. The Show is running low on plot/villains other than these two. :HaunterOK:

I really wish they explore the possibility of So Mun's limitless power rather than me playing guessing game. With the change of writers, it makes it unpredictable whether the Show will tell us more about his power. I hope it does because that's one of the things that intrigues me - the superpower - even though this is old school, nothing refreshing. From previous episodes, So Mun literally summoned Wigen back to his body and it was shown where she was located i.e. in the universe. I was really intrigued by that bit purely because I think that meant So Mun may be able to draw power/energy from the universe itself - which means this is endless and limitless. But this is all me writing the script in my head. I much rather be told the real deal.

Son Ho Jun's cameo is a surprise! Is he really going to be another Counter @ktcjdrama ?

• Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
On 1/17/2021 at 2:21 PM, abs-oluteM said:

@mademoiselle @ktcjdrama seems like the rumour was already going around at least among knetz who felt that the scriptwriter did not follow the webtoon closely & that the pace was too slow.

Naver article: https://tenasia.hankyung.com/drama/article/2021011796224

The author of the OCN weekend drama 'The Uncanny Counter' has been replaced. Among the drama fans in the second half, there was talk  that the writer would be replaced because the storyt was too different from the original webtoon and sluggish development, so it seems the  "writer change rumour'' was real.

I'm yet to write my opinions on the last few episodes. But just a quick note on this: I feel like with episodes 13 and 14, the pacing is definitely faster...but does anyone else feel like the flow between events/ scenes has become a bit choppy and some of the events happen a little too easily? :thinking:

I can't tell if it's because it's further in the story (so of course more events happening quickly) or it's now really picking up more scenes from the webtoon, whereas before it wasn't or because you can really see the difference with writer change? I also feel like there's less of that playful humour that we've had the whole way through (though again, I can't tell if it's been because a lot of tense events happened in these last 2 episodes that it wouldn't make sense to include humour) :pandascared:

In any case, I'm quite invested and I love the counter family and pretty much all the characters, so of course will continue watching...but I'm also really sensitive to drama pacing and I'm hoping it still keeps some of the good things from before :YesHalCat:

• Like 2

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

10 hours ago, JenL said:

: I feel like with episodes 13 and 14, the pacing is definitely faster...but does anyone else feel like the flow between events/ scenes has become a bit choppy and some of the events happen a little too easily?

It is faster, which I think is acceptable considering the situations have become more intense. I don’t feel the choppiness though, and if no one told me, I wouldn’t have suspected there has been writer change. Yes the playful tone has reduced greatly but I thought I saw one. Can’t remember where abs when off hand, will rewatch to see if I can find it. 

I still think the drama is so good that I almost forgot about wanting an explanation of why did Mayor Shin kill his assistant. Why did he do it himself when he has minions to do it for him? For me, it means the killing wasn’t planned, and yet he was with a hoodie and a knife. I hope the show will explain this part somehow. 

This show also made me think about the nature vs. nurture debate, because of JCS. Is he by nature evil or because of nurture? Seeing how he has compassion for the little kids and would not want them harmed, makes me think that by nature he has a kind soul. A sentimental one too considering how he kept the kid wallet he was given. But he was jealous of his adoptive father’s family. Was he really nurtured to be used to carry out dirty works for those people? At such a young age? The father actually bothered to raise a kid for such purpose? Which means he has a long term plan for dirty deeds? Okay, I’ve been doing too much thinking for a show. Never mind me... 😅

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

@ktcjdrama @JenLPersonally I did not feel much impact with the writer change too. I honestly would not be have known. Eps 13 & 14 are pretty much setting the show up for a big finale, so I was okay with less humour. They were wrapping up some of the emotional arcs particularly for Mo Tak & Mae Ok. Mo Tak  got some closure at least for Jeong Yeong's death by catching the Chief, and Mae Ok got to see that her son's girlfriend can finally move on (gosh I cried a river in this scene).

Yay @mademoiselle I think if SHJ's cameo is a hit , who knows they may offer to have him come on board in S2.

-------------------------------------------------------

From: https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2021/01/688_302667.html

'The Uncanny Counter' writer leaves show despite soaring ratings

By Lee Gyu-lee

The head writer of OCN's hit series "The Uncanny Counter" has abruptly left the production in the middle of the series after having a disagreement with other staff over how the show should end.

The network confirmed Monday that scriptwriter Yeo Ji-na resigned after finishing episode 12 of the hit show, which scored OCN's highest viewership rating at 10.6 percent on Jan. 10.

"Yeo and other staff in the production team had different opinions on the series' final storyline," OCN told local news outlets. "So she decided to leave the show on a mutual agreement."

After Yeo's departure, director Yoo Seon-dong took over the script for episode 13, which aired on Saturday.

Scriptwriter Kim Sae-bom also joined the show starting with Sunday's episode and will replace Yeo for the 16-part season's finale.

The fantasy action series, based on Jang Yi's web-comics "Amazing Rumor," revolves around a teenager So-mun (Jo Byung-gyu) who joins a group of exorcists with special abilities to fight evil spirits.

The Korean superhero show has garnered popularity with its realistic special effects and cathartic vigilante storyline. The series started with a 2.7 percent viewership rating in November, but has since climbed steadily, reaching a two-digit rating for the first time in the network's history. However, with the absence of the head writer, the rating slipped ― hitting 9.4 percent ― for Saturday's episode.

With the show's popularity, OCN is in final talks to make a second season.

• Like 2