Racket Boys 라켓소년단 [2021]

On 10/9/2021 at 6:04 PM, LaLa said:

Do you also watch the badminton tournaments regularly? @SnowBlob sister, we might have a common friend to talk about badminton, other than the two of us

Nope not the tournaments but I watch a lot of matches during the Olympics lol. I'm just an avid sports watcher in general. So whenever I hear of a new variety show sports-related I will give it a go! 

On 10/9/2021 at 6:04 PM, LaLa said:

If I remember correctly I followed the badminton and swimming categories, but after that I missed a lot of another sports sections.

I think the Judo one was my favourite sport that they covered on that show.

One more day to this new badminton one!

• Like 5

@im0202 @LaLa Did you guys manage to watch the tvN Racket Boys? I haven't found it on the dark side... but tvN just uploaded some cuts! I think this (former?) athlete is going to be good after some training. Amongst the trial I've seen in the first two clips of 4 guys, he went from missing so many shots to picking up really quick, returning good quality shots and most impressive bit is he already has the correct footwork.

Our real Racket Boy Kim Min Ki's response time is too slow and doesn't have the footwork. Yoon Do Joon is not bad but will need to train on footwork. The first and youngest looking boy needs a lot of training LOL. No Yoon Hyun Min's cut...

Spoiler

Anyone knows who that youngest boy is? Idol?

Doubles

OMG, Se Chan is being annoying. :GengarPout: People are waiting to serve...! :pandascared: Yes, I take badminton a bit more seriously. :GrowDerp:

P.S. I'm posting these here for now because I don't want to create a thread just for these when I'm not sure I'll be able to follow through to the end with the lack of video sources.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 4
  • Awesome 1

@mademoiselle I went snooping around a few days back but didn’t manage to find much... just the cut of Seung-kwan vs LYT.

The youngest boy is one of the finalists of that contest Mr.Trot. He has a really great voice! Not sure about his badminton skills though lol.

I’ll continue to snoop around for the full episode this weekend😂 Too busy during the weekdays to do it haha

• Like 4
1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

This appear on my recommendation 😆

Hahaha omg me too!! Last night. And I watched the first set lol.

Btw I managed to watch the full Ep 1 of the variety with chi subs. I don’t think there’s an english subbed version anywhere.

I was surprised at how stable Se-Chan was. The ‘high-level’ players were good but I’m more interested to see how the mid and lows improve! I think we will see very quick progress from Doo-joon and the Fencing dude as they have the athletic genes lol. There were a few instances where the editing really made me LOL. Now I can’t remember off the top of my head but I enjoyed Ep 1 very much. Can’t wait for ep 2!

Seems like they will play against a women’s(?) team of sorts.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

@im0202 Is the fencing dude the tallest one? Must be. He's cute! Hahaha! I thought Yoo Hyun Min had some sports background but from the trial, he didn't look too good at it. I'm interested to see what or how the high level players coaches them and help them improve, hehehe. Evil me already imagine them being asked to practice footwork coz this is basics.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@mademoiselle I think YHM didn’t do too well as baseball is too different from badminton, especially the swinging motion... but I’m expecting him to pick it up quickly as well due to his sports background.

And yep, the fencing dude is the tallest guy (who’s pretty cute, I agree😝). His steps look solid and very steady (look at those calves and thighs!!) due to his fencing background. Plus his height and reach gives him really good advantage in terms of covering the court.

I’m trying to source for raw version of this show, do PM me if you got links 😂

• Like 3

@mademoiselleI haven't found any source to watch this show. I want to check it out to see about the program. But I heard it's a 10 episode project and it's about LYD and his fellow athlete preparing the casts for a badminton match with another trained people? 

@im0202 If you found any links, either raw or with other subs, would you mind to share via discord? lol. as long as it didn't get dub into another language, I think I'll manage to understand a little xD. What do you think of the show so far? 

• Like 4

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

34 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

:SquirtleWonderfull: Kim Min Ki called his Racket Sonyeondan to help him practice! @abs-oluteM @im0202 @JenL @LaLa @stroppyse @ktcjdrama Apologies in advance if you guys aren't interested anymore. I'm just all :love: at the mini reunion

I'm totally swooning at Tang Jun Sang. Love this hairstyle of his hahahahaha

Awwww, Thanks for sharing!!! No, I totally love reunions between actors from my favourite series, especially if they had amazing cast chemistry like these guys. Tang Jun Sang looks like the sweetest kid :heart: Haha, love that they had to keep playing badminton even after the show...it's like a part of their identities now! :lol:

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

1 minute ago, JenL said:

Awwww, Thanks for sharing!!! No, I totally love reunions between actors from my favourite series, especially if they had amazing cast chemistry like these guys. Tang Jun Sang looks like the sweetest kid :heart: Haha, love that they had to keep playing badminton even after the show...it's like a part of their identities now! :lol:

Kim Min Ki is currently in a tvN variety show named "Racket Boys" - it's like celebrities badminton show with Lee Yong Dae as their coach. Min Ki is the only actor from Racket Boys to participate and from the cut clips, it seems he's the weakest amongst them* so I think that's why he called his co-star friends over to play with him & practice - which I totally love and miss. I think now I'd have to watch episode 3 just for this part, LOL.

*the team had a double match against ahjumma team and Kim Min Ki was so nervous that he couldn't play well and in the end Lee Yong Dae exchanged him with another person.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

@mademoiselle, thanks so much for the shout out about mini-reunion! So cute! That was a fun clip. I love that the guys are still playing badminton after the drama ended. Min Gi really isn't very good, but the other boys are only a little better. Love how they remark that they aren't racket boys any more. Also, love how they tease each other still. The clip really put a smile on my face.

Also, interesting to see the guys' true personalities and how they differed from their characters. Had to laugh when Woo Chan didn't want the hug from Min Gi saying "Don't do things like that to me." Also, Tang Jun Sang really is the sweetest.

• Like 2

@im0202 I'm watching episode 3. I feel so sorry for Lee Yong Dae. Both his partners are black hole xDDDD Lee Yong Dae looks like he wants to scream but can't :lmao2: Surprisingly the maknae's reflex is pretty good! I could totally relate to how Lee Yong Dae felt as well as the other weaker players since I started as a beginner so the better player did the same to me, like telling me to stand in front, and as I progressively improved I also started to understand it really is not easy to play against or partner with unpredictable beginners and one could hurt themselves trying to cover for the partner.

Ahhh, I finally got to the part where Tang Joon Sang them all appeared. Wish their screen time were much longer. :cry: I really miss the boys. @stroppyse it's funny Woo Chan was rejecting skinship :laugh: Joon Sang in real life seems like a soft speaker and yes, seems so so sweet. I saw a casting news that he'll be in a movie with Youn Yuh Jung  next :wow:

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I'm watching episode 3. I feel so sorry for Lee Yong Dae. Both his partners are black hole xDDDD Lee Yong Dae looks like he wants to scream but can't

God I cringed watching YHM play as doubles with LYD 😂 I think the nerves also somewhat played a part because YHM looks okay during practice but when it comes to an actual match he just cannot execute :laugh: The coach vs coach part was pretty fun to watch!

The mini Racket Boys reunion was cute too. Too bad they couldn’t get the whole team to cameo. Min Ki really works very hard but the sad truth is sometimes the athletic DNA is still needed for sports. For example, Doojoon is definitely one of those type of people so they pick up sports faster, even if it’s one they haven’t played before.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, im0202 said:

For example, Doojoon is definitely one of those type of people so they pick up sports faster, even if it’s one they haven’t played before.

Maybe it's all that dance training that Doojoon did for B2ast/Highlight?

1 hour ago, im0202 said:

Min Ki really works very hard but the sad truth is sometimes the athletic DNA is still needed for sports.

I think it's a certain hand-eye coordination as well as an overall athleticism which can't really be learned in a short amount of time. I wonder if actors who have had to train to do action scenes would be better at picking up sports? I wonder how Ha Ji Won would do at badminton.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, im0202 said:

God I cringed watching YHM play as doubles with LYD 😂 I think the nerves also somewhat played a part because YHM looks okay during practice but when it comes to an actual match he just cannot execute :laugh: The coach vs coach part was pretty fun to watch!

The mini Racket Boys reunion was cute too. Too bad they couldn’t get the whole team to cameo. Min Ki really works very hard but the sad truth is sometimes the athletic DNA is still needed for sports. For example, Doojoon is definitely one of those type of people so they pick up sports faster, even if it’s one they haven’t played before.

Hahahahaha yes. I was laughing so much but cringing. I also feel nervous for LYD whenever they return the shuttlecock at a height that gives the opponent the opportunity to smash. You are right he must be very nervous, partnering up with LYD and wanting to do well and that only made it worse. The lady coach did use that to her advantage by targeting the weaker player. LYD was like an octopus on the court. :lmao2:

True, Min Ki did work hard to practice and agree being natural and athletic does play a big part. Size as well which the fencer Oh Sang Wook has for being tall and long. His one step is probably the others' 2-3 steps. YHM really surprised me though because he was reported as a professional baseball player and the outcome is so different to Yoon Doo Joon. xDDD Sang Wook would be a very strong opponent if he was being well-trained in all the basics, including serving (LOLLL his serving in episode 2, aigoo). After that if he learns the mindset/strategies, which I think Se Chan and Seungkwan already have and even Doo Joon is learning as he goes, he'd be really good. 

I'm actually a bit confused with the purpose of the show. I thought the idea is to help them gradually improve so in order to do that shouldn't the coaches be focusing on teaching them the most basic things first like holding the racquet correctly, learning the correct footwork and serving? → Note I didn't watch episode 1-2 in full. Although that probably will be very boring for variety show. But with the correct footwork it would help them so much when they are playing games for points. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I thought the idea is to help them gradually improve so in order to do that shouldn't the coaches be focusing on teaching them the most basic things first like holding the racquet correctly, learning the correct footwork and serving?

So far in the episodes they have shown minimal training - I think almost all of it is done off-screen and they only show us in short montages during broadcast. I guess due to the limited time and number of episodes, only the matches and competitive parts (eg. the ranking matches they play among themselves) are shown as these are more interesting.

If I remember correctly, the ultimate aim is they will play in a badminton competition after a number of days, right? I have a vague memory of LYD mentioning it in Ep 1 lol. Like in 60(?) plus days from the start of the broadcast.

• Insightful 1
  • 2 months later...