Legend of Anle 安乐传 [2023]

12 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

@40somethingahjummamaybe you should just take the plunge and join us 🤣

And suffer with you?

I might try. I can't promise anything because I've dropped quite a few C dramas this year. Not even nice looking men can compel me to go the distance.

• Haha 3

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

Gong Jun is an actor that's definitely born to be in historical dramas. He looks good in every form of styling. That said, this show doesn't do him much justice. I can tell that Han Ye smart and circumspect but he's too passive.

You guys are not wrong about how bad this show is. The actors are doing their best but the entire approach to this is odd and wrongheaded. I don't want to insult children but this show does feel like it's written for children. The whole premise of Ren Anle playing the fool doesn't work. It's ridiculously unrealistic. I know that's not necessarily a good argument but considering the show wants the audience to take it seriously, it's a bit of a fail. A historical boss girl strutting around solving crimes while flirting with the crown prince breaks immersion. The set-up is terrible, the world building is sloppy and in general the writing is lazy.

This show has a lot of the same problems as most C dramas but in larger measure. They practically sledgehammer the point that the FL is smart over and over.

• Like 2

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

2 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

This show has a lot of the same problems as most C dramas but in larger measure. They practically sledgehammer the point that the FL is smart over and over.

Cdramas have their own problems but AnLe which have Reba, GJ, LYN and some other quite experienced actors shouldn't reach this kind of bad. Not to mentioned AnLe has the same directors (2 out of 3 directors) with Word of Honor which is way way better executed drama despite having minuscules budget with GJ as a strugling actor at that time.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, OsmanthusTea said:

Cdramas have their own problems but AnLe which have Reba, GJ, LYN and some other quite experienced actors shouldn't reach this kind of bad. Not to mentioned AnLe has the same directors (2 out of 3 directors) with Word of Honor which is way way better executed drama despite having minuscules budget with GJ as a strugling actor at that time.

It wouldn't surprise me if the leads signed up for this project because of the directors and because they wanted to work with each other. 

Fortunately the first five episodes are probably the worst. The romantic progression is okay but it's ridiculous that fake Di Ziyuan can't play chess. She wasn't even taught properly. She should have been learning all this time. Ah... whatever... *facepalm*

When does Han Ye work out that Anle is Ziyuan? 

I can't believe that Tim Pei is just standing around as somebody's bodyguard.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

When does Han Ye work out that Anle is Ziyuan? 

He started to get suspicious during his choosing Crown Princess banquet eps 20-21 and sure of her identity on eps 22-23.

9 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I can't believe that Tim Pei is just standing around as somebody's bodyguard.

Don't worry, he has a much bigger identity that will be reveal around eps 19, I think.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Okay... I'm still watching but with the aid of the FF button. The show's somewhat better in the 20s but there's still things about it that bugs the heck out of me. I think the show wants to be Nirvana in Fire some of the time and Princess Agents some of the time. But it can't hold a candle to either.

I'm getting a bit fed up with Anle/Ziyuan's treatment of Han Ye. Without him any plan that they had would never have worked. I'm getting a bit tired of them ragging on him. It's getting old. They don't have to be grateful but they don't have to keep harping on things. It's not as if he doesn't feel everything acutely already. 

Tim's character is a baddie. Nice. That arc is by far the more interesting part. I suppose there's nothing like war to unite the people and a couple of star-crossed lovers.

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

31 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Okay... I'm still watching but with the aid of the FF button. The show's somewhat better in the 20s but there's still things about it that bugs the heck out of me. I think the show wants to be Nirvana in Fire some of the time and Princess Agents some of the time. But it can't hold a candle to either.

I'm getting a bit fed up with Anle/Ziyuan's treatment of Han Ye. Without him any plan that they had would never have worked. I'm getting a bit tired of them ragging on him. It's getting old. They don't have to be grateful but they don't have to keep harping on things. It's not as if he doesn't feel everything acutely already. 

Tim's character is a baddie. Nice. That arc is by far the more interesting part. I suppose there's nothing like war to unite the people and a couple of star-crossed lovers.

That's what me and my fellow tea @SilverMoonTea said too.....:PsyWhat: It took 20 eps for the show to finally made some senses, if not because of the 3 leads I had dropped it like hot potatoes around eps 3....:PsyWhat:  I love LinLang too, sadly she is about to dies....:nervous:

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, OsmanthusTea said:

That's what me and my fellow tea @SilverMoonTea said too.....:PsyWhat: It took 20 eps for the show to finally made some senses, if not because of the 3 leads I had dropped it like hot potatoes around eps 3....:PsyWhat:  I love LinLang too, sadly she is about to dies....:nervous:

I knew what they were trying to aim for from the start but the storytelling is terrible. It breaks all kinds of storytelling and television rules. And boy, even though the 20s are better, they are still guilty of all the same kinds of issues. This drama is very weak on "show not tell". All we see are characters sitting around tables talking about something that happened off-screen. I wonder if this show was done on a low budget

I'm hanging on for the leads. Especially Gong Jun. But I am interested in the impending war. 

I'm sorry to hear about Linlang. But more sorry that hers is an unrequited love.

• Like 1

I don't respond as much but I do have to agree. If not for the leads, I would have dipped a long time ago. And after all this mess, I can still proudly say my bias is Han Ye. It took a while for his character to pick up traction but I like that he's exactly what I was hoping for. A clever guy who's more than what meets the eye. Even if the execution of him isn't that great, it was worth the wait and pining for his character when others thought he was blah. 

A lot of users on MDL helped to explain a lot of points from the novel but I still don't think they should have to do that if the adaptation was decent. Shows how poor the writing is. And I agree about the whole "show not tell" concept. We're getting the opposite instead making things more confusing. 

But any who, the latest war episodes were well portrayed by Han Ye and Anning. All other characters were annoying lol. This is my first Gong Jun drama and I'm warming up to him. I want to watch another one of his dramas but I don't think he's had any other good ones besides WOH? 

• Clapping Hands 2

YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/@dramabler 

IG/FB: dramabler 

1 hour ago, dramabler said:

This is my first Gong Jun drama and I'm warming up to him. I want to watch another one of his dramas but I don't think he's had any other good ones besides WOH? 

My favourite Gong Jun drama is the contract marriage one with Zhou Yutong called Begin Again. It's quite funny at first then gets very serious. There are soap opera elements but if you're a sucker for contract marriages, I think this is one of the better ones. He plays a doctor in that one.

My first experience of Gong Jun was in a period fantasy drama starring William Chan and Liu Shi Shi called Love Lost in Time. I think he plays the 11th prince in that. The first few episodes are nutty. The last few are draggy but it's a good show for the most part.

5 hours ago, dramabler said:

This is my first Gong Jun drama and I'm warming up to him. I want to watch another one of his dramas but I don't think he's had any other good ones besides WOH? 

I have to agree with @40somethingahjumma that Begin Again is a good drama. The kid is extremely cute and talented, that's the bonus. Another modern drama of him if your main intention is to just ogling at him, I can recommend Dream Garden. Begin again he plays a MD while in Dream Garden, a psychologist. 

Thank you @40somethingahjumma and @OsmanthusTea for the recommendations! I'll have to start taking peeks after TLofA finishes airing. Gong Jun has definitely made his way onto my list. Today's Ep.35 was so emotionally driven it makes me wonder why only until now do we get all the good stuff. The relationship between Han Ye and Wen Shuo was the best part. 

• Clapping Hands 1

I was thingking that they will at least drag the Di's trial quite later. There are still 10 more episodes for me to get ep 35. So far I love how this politic fight is really intriguing. I am glad that the writer make the conflict so interesting. I could feel their grievance, the tragic and all the lives sacrificed for the throne fight. We have this story a lot but I feel like this onr reminds me of The Moon Embraces The Sun. If you all watch this, I think they kinda share the same sentiment. The fear of losing the throne that leads to so many unfortunate fates. 

I like most episodes I have seen, especially the part of the Di's trial at the queen's birthday bandquet. And I wonder if they reveal all things this smootly while we still have so many episodes remaining feels too fast. I like the fast face plot but I'm affraid that they won't have much things to tell later. Then I was wrong, I see that there is more to flesh from the Queen dowager's past. I still dont get the flashback and he mologues, so DY's ancestor is the concubine of the Han's?? I mean who is that lad talk to young queen? Han zi an they talk, who is he??? Ok, we will get more stuffs coming up next.

Btw the cast r just great team. I see most of them r acting well in their own parts. 

Oh handsome crown prince @OsmanthusTea :wow: I will definitely dig his dramas after LoA. I want to see him more. 

Many goodies shared here, will slowly backtrack for those later. Gotta back for work again, hmhp!

• Like 1
On 8/3/2023 at 1:35 PM, Alice Wonderland said:

This thread needs to be more lively. 😁

I like this really. I think it's been so long after the last time I enjoy period cdramas. They finally have some good storyline here. Bonus, I found my love for this handsome crown prince? 
:love:

I will come back for more later. Quite late here. Good night all 😉

I'm glad you're enjoying it! Especially Crown Prince hehe 😆And there are definitely more twists coming! The story really picks up by Ep.20 and it seems you made it past that point so it'll be progressing after but still messy here and there. To answer your question above, Han Zi'an is the founding emperor (Han Ye's grandfather). The Di aunt was never the concubine but more so a good confidant of the founding emperor. The Empress Dowager was just jealous because her husband was spending more time with the Aunt. 

Hello Saturday airs today with Dilireba, Gong Jun, Liu Yuning and other cast members! And their new photoshoot just dropped. The visuals are 🔥🔥 https://twitter.com/dramapotatoe/status/1687640676555784192?s=20

Edited by dramabler
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@dramabler yeah, I got some of the answers and I see that there will be another twists. I have reached ep 29. I feel bad for HY. He has to carry the guilt of his family. The emperor seems pretty easy to be manipulated. I wonder when will Anning realize that she is being fooled by her fake bodyguard and the evil minister. I forgot his name. But he knows well to pit the current emperor againts DZY. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Alice Wonderland said:

I was wondering what if WS is the long lost brother and it turned out so. No wonder their bond r felt strong. I see the twist r so abruptly and many. Lols. But even so, I like it! Hope it will be happy ending. It will right??

Yes it will but it's going to be what looks like a typical 5 minute happy ending. But I'll have some more high hopes for it and see how the last episode goes tomorrow. 

• Like 1

@dramabler I start ffd the episodes to get pass from 30 to 38. This almost have been good but somehow it gets draggy and they could cut it much short like until 30 to make the drama. I wonder how surprised HY once he gains his eyesight back to see his DYZ with white hair. Lols. Since I skip quite many wjat happened to her hair? The side effect of her illness before?