Superior Shaman Ga Doo Sim 우수무당 가두심 [2021]

5 hours ago, stroppyse said:

The mom's insta caption only says "Good things… they say that you should watch them at least once more. The two people who have determined how they feel! We are all satisfied."

However, I'm not sure what LJH's comment is supposed to mean and I couldn't see the comment itself to see if anything else was in the post to help shed a light. Sorry. My guess is that it would be a gentle tease of some kind.

The below is their conversation

88leejihoon: 띠로리....
Da reum's mum: @88leejihoon 띠로리로리 🙈
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
10 hours ago, mademoiselle said:
The below is their conversation

88leejihoon: 띠로리....
Da reum's mum: @88leejihoon 띠로리로리 🙈

@mademoiselle

CC: @stroppyse

I believe I have solved your mystery. It's a sound effect for dramatic things happening from a character from whatever drama this is :laugh:

Edit: The drama is Drinking Solo. Was NDR in that drama? Either that or they knew the mum had watched it or the character/ sound effect made it into popular culture/ word use.

Edited by JenL
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

12 hours ago, JenL said:

I believe I have solved your mystery. It's a sound effect for dramatic things happening from a character from whatever drama this is :laugh:

Edit: The drama is Drinking Solo. Was NDR in that drama? Either that or they knew the mum had watched it or the character/ sound effect made it into popular culture/ word use.

@JenL, you totally nailed it!

It's not that NDR (or LJH for that matter) was in Drinking Solo. It's the sound effect that is suggestive and curious. With the follow-up/response part emphasising or confirming it.  Very cute. :heart:

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
18 hours ago, stroppyse said:

@JenL, you totally nailed it!

It's not that NDR (or LJH for that matter) was in Drinking Solo. It's the sound effect that is suggestive and curious. With the follow-up/response part emphasising or confirming it.  Very cute. :heart:

Woo! I'm happy I solved the mystery! :CharmanderYay: 

The sound is very cute and does sound like an introduction tune to something crazy that's about to happen!

9 hours ago, NiteWalker said:

saw this couple of times popping up on my screen, wondering is it any good?

It's super cute for a high school romance and fun/ not scary for a supernatural series. A lot of fun. Also at like 20 mins or so per episode, it's pretty quick to watch!  :MewHi:

• Like 4

12 hours ago, NiteWalker said:

saw this couple of times popping up on my screen, wondering is it any good?

Totally worth it. At 20 mins per episode and only 12 episodes, the plotting is pretty tight though also simple since they can't fit a lot in. However, it's really the two leads who have transfixed those of us watching. Both Kim Sae Ron and Nam Da Reum are young veterans of dramas and movies, and their ease of acting and chemistry demonstrate their ease at their craft.

Kim Sae Ron was in one of my fave movies of all time The Man From Nowhere as a child actress, and she's grown up to be a good actress as an adult as well, though she has struggled a bit to get good projects. Nam Da Reum is a cutie who is very good at breaking your heart with his tears, though he's not had to cry in this project.

Anyway, the story is that Doo Shim (KSR) is an extremely talented shaman from a family of shamans and Woo Soo (NDR) is her classmate at the new high school that DS has transferred to. Their high school has an evil spirit which takes over the body of the last place student in the school and causes the student to commit suicide. DS and WS try to fight the evil spirit to protect their school.

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

I know I bring up the comparison to Daebak RE alot because the scenario is quite similar - female shaman and her male assistant. DRE was actually not a bad drama but I think it would been very much elevated in my drama ranking list if they really pushed the romance through. ( The leads were oozing with chemistry !)  I wondered if it was because they were adults that there was a lot of reservations. It is like the older you get, the less you give in to your feelings as quickly because you're more rational? :thinking:. So here since the leads are in high school, things are not so complicated . You don't think about future or parents, or have to worry about marriage etc. Hence I find it nice to watch. God knows I have been watching too many rom-coms where the ML has some major trauma or issue he has to overcome. :nya:This drama is a breath of fresh air. 

• Like 5

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

45 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

I know I bring up the comparison to Daebak RE alot because the scenario is quite similar - female shaman and her male assistant.

To be fair, I didn't finish Daebak RE. I love Jang Nara as an actress and I love CN BLUE, but Jung Yong Hwa's acting skills are a bit suspect. Though JYH has sooo much practice with noonas, so I keep expecting him to be better than he is. So no comments about Daebak RE.

As for teen romance having less baggage than grown up romance, I could totally buy into that. However, I also think both DS and WS are somewhat loners though for different reasons, and it's their ability to convey both their personal situations as well as their desire to connect and their surprise that their connection is to each other that is so charming.

I should clarify the loner for different reasons statement. DS is a loner because kids are scared of her or just don't want to be near her once they find out that she's a shaman, plus she's the new kid having changed schools. WS is a popular student, but being first in the school brings its own pressures at school and at home, plus he seems to be sensitive to whether someone is really his friend or just wants to leech off of him in some way. He's also uncomfortable with his parents, or at least his mother's overbearing willingness to throw her "influence" around. He has IR as a friend, but doesn't really claim any others as friends though he tries to stay friendly with everyone. And the female students like WS, but he doesn't pay them any special attentions to any of them before DS.

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

hahhhaa okie im up to episode 10 **ahem**

see i did watch it as i promise and then i realize one thing its only 1 episode per week???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOLsss......so thats mean i have to wait till next week to know whats wrong??? URGH i hate it.....

btw @stroppyse did Kim Sae Ron grow up taller? i seems to remember her to be a bit more petite that she use to be than i seen her last few days on the screen!!!

at some of the scenes i kinda felt like Kim SaeRon tower over Nam DoRuem lols though i have to say both chemistry is pretty stead and good....its a good short stories...and of course the evil spirit isnt that scary like u guys said lols the only one thing that look funny to me is when the evil spirit materialize....

other than that...everything is really good....

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, NiteWalker said:

btw @stroppyse did Kim Sae Ron grow up taller? i seems to remember her to be a bit more petite that she use to be than i seen her last few days on the screen!!!

She has grown taller and filled out a lot. She used to be very petite and willowy as a child and through her teenage years. However, she was already starting to fill out when she was shooting Leverage, however, she is even taller and looks stronger now. I think she looks really good. Plus her acting talent and experience are still very obvious.

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

She has grown taller and filled out a lot. She used to be very petite and willowy as a child and through her teenage years. However, she was already starting to fill out when she was shooting Leverage, however, she is even taller and looks stronger now. I think she looks really good. Plus her acting talent and experience are still very obvious.

yes she looks good to be honest....though i have to say sometimes i find her tower over the guy in some of the scenes.....if they shoot the full body, even though she look good with him when they shoot on half body wise....

when they hug and everything its really looks for me...just not full body wise...and maybe i need to try to get her petite image out of my mind for now....cause i remember watching her acting a historical where she was a witch or something as well?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
1 minute ago, NiteWalker said:

when they hug and everything its really looks for me...just not full body wise...and maybe i need to try to get her petite image out of my mind for now....cause i remember watching her acting a historical where she was a witch or something as well?

Yes, that was Mirror of the Witch with Yoon Shi Yoon. They actually looked good together in MotW, however, a lot of people freaked out because KSR was so young at the time and YSY had just returned from his military service. Because YSY was being sensitive about the possible negative perception, he made his role more comedic than it was written rather than being more intense. The romance was dialed way down as well and the action increased instead.

I think part of the issue may be that Nam Da Reum hasn't grown that tall yet? He's only 19 though, so hopefully, he'll grow a few more inches. However, he's got such an encompassing gaze and such acting talent that it's okay if he doesn't grow any more any way.

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2
15 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

One more episode left and they gave us a cliffhanger that made me so impatient to watch the finale....!!

I am confused. How come suddenly WS has the same power as her? He could also say out the chant & fight the ghost right? 

• Like 5

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

5 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I am confused. How come suddenly WS has the same power as her? He could also say out the chant & fight the ghost right? 

Yes, I wondered about that at first, but I am just going to think that he is a fast learner, and some of her grandma's power is left in him? Or that he is indeed "the chosen one" to fight with DS. 

I am actually more confused about how obedient the evil spirit is towards the principal about not consuming/killing other students/people. Wouldn't he become stronger if he killed more people? And if he's out of the pouch, as long as he's nowhere near the pouch or the so-called master, he is in a sense free to roam, isn't he? And anyway, he could open the safe by himself, from the inside, why did he obediently wait until exam result is out? :laugh: The principal cannot even hold him back from exiting the safe? or the pouch?

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

EVERYONE - Did you know there was a behind the scenes for the kiss scene but no one internationally has gotten to watch it because they've started making all the additional content like interviews and games not accesible internationally  :shocked2::shocked2::shocked2: I have been traumatised since DDSSLLS, so I ended up downloading the remaining stuff from Twitter. But if anyone has a VPN...I'm putting in a request to show us the behind the scenes :laugh:

Episode 11

- Where does one find a boyfriend like WS when you're in high school?! DS slaps him and he's relieved because he felt bad that his mother slapped hers. So humble and cute :BulbaOWO:

- I loved their conversation because they both emote very well through their eyes. It feels like they're both speaking on another level really. Also thought it was super cute when WS said he didn't have a plan and teased DS about protecting him :wow:

- Btw I laughed so hard when the bully girl comes into the room just as they're about to put on their protective jumpers (so pulling off their school jumpers) and she's like "Were you about to...?" And they're both looking at her blankly, but she actually did ask about fighting the spirit....but oh, thr implications!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

- I was touched that the 2 bullies turned out to not only believe in the evil spirit but also wanted to join in the fight. I mean, yeah, bullies often seek redemption or learn their lesson, but they risked their lives :yayaya:

- So I don't understand how WS is able to be so strong - it almost looks like he's stronger than DS? I sort of felt it should be DS's time to discover some hidden powers, but it feels almost like the focus is on WS. I think it's a tiny bit choppy on the stroytelling here. Still, I thought it was awesome that they combined powers....but now we have a cliffhanger :lettalKWA:

- I don't want this to end because they're both so adorable and this is totally my favourite at the moment! 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

On 9/27/2021 at 11:45 PM, stroppyse said:

Kim Sae Ron was in one of my fave movies of all time The Man From Nowhere as a child actress, and she's grown up to be a good actress as an adult as well, though she has struggled a bit to get good projects. Nam Da Reum is a cutie who is very good at breaking your heart with his tears, though he's not had to cry in this project.

I love them both...and yes! Man from Nowhere was one of my favourite films. I had to watch it for work and I was floored by how amazing it was. My colleague who is a super serious film critic sort of person (who I thought would hate it) also loved it, which shows you the power of that film! :BulbaOWO:

On 9/28/2021 at 2:45 PM, abs-oluteM said:

I know I bring up the comparison to Daebak RE alot because the scenario is quite similar - female shaman and her male assistant. DRE was actually not a bad drama but I think it would been very much elevated in my drama ranking list if they really pushed the romance through. ( The leads were oozing with chemistry !)  I wondered if it was because they were adults that there was a lot of reservations. It is like the older you get, the less you give in to your feelings as quickly because you're more rational? :thinking:. So here since the leads are in high school, things are not so complicated . You don't think about future or parents, or have to worry about marriage etc. Hence I find it nice to watch. God knows I have been watching too many rom-coms where the ML has some major trauma or issue he has to overcome. :nya:This drama is a breath of fresh air. 

Hehe I agree on the likeness! I still liked that drama a lot despite the tease for the romance. I feel like it copied an older style of Asian drama where they tease you about a potential romance or chemistry, but never properly execute it. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but I definitely remember it use to bother me a lot when I first started watching dramas because I cared more about romance then. These days, I think I'm a lot more invested in story-telling, although good chemistry and cute romances (like this one!) still hook me in bad! :hearties:

Totally agree that it's so nice of this drama to have a male lead without any reall traumas. I think it might be partly due to the short episodes though - they don't need to fill it with an unnessary tragic backstory :heiboi:

On 9/28/2021 at 3:31 PM, stroppyse said:

DS is a loner because kids are scared of her or just don't want to be near her once they find out that she's a shaman, plus she's the new kid having changed schools. WS is a popular student, but being first in the school brings its own pressures at school and at home, plus he seems to be sensitive to whether someone is really his friend or just wants to leech off of him in some way. He's also uncomfortable with his parents, or at least his mother's overbearing willingness to throw her "influence" around. 

This is soooo true. I agree wholeheartedly with your insights about both our leads. I think WS is smart not only in school smarts but on a life level too - he can tell when someone is being genuine or when someone is just trying to use him for clout or pride :BulbaOWO:

On 10/1/2021 at 1:00 PM, NiteWalker said:

at some of the scenes i kinda felt like Kim SaeRon tower over Nam DoRuem lols though i have to say both chemistry is pretty stead and good....its a good short stories...and of course the evil spirit isnt that scary like u guys said lols the only one thing that look funny to me is when the evil spirit materialize....

other than that...everything is really good....

Hahaha I wouldn't be surprised. She looks super tall. KSR is also slightly taller than NDR too. 

I think the shortness is not bad from a storytelling perspective though - it means no fillers and gets straight to the point of the action and romance. The only thing is that it is occasionally choppy on the explainations, but I think this hasn't happened too much. But you do end up wanting more! Also, I can only deal with not-scary horror, so this cheesy black cloud is ok for me :laugh:

On 10/2/2021 at 3:46 PM, abs-oluteM said:

I feel like he learnt the words from DS and I don't know how he got powers, but I feel like he has a strong will and so he's started to develop powers from that? :thinking:

23 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I am actually more confused about how obedient the evil spirit is towards the principal about not consuming/killing other students/people. Wouldn't he become stronger if he killed more people? And if he's out of the pouch, as long as he's nowhere near the pouch or the so-called master, he is in a sense free to roam, isn't he? 

I feel like it's implied there was some form of a contract between them - would have made more sense if this was explained properly. Like the principal asked for help from some evil source who gave him access to the evil spirit or something? :idk: Not sure but that's kind of my guess. If they do make a season 2, I'd like an explaination!

• Like 5

14 hours ago, JenL said:

Hahaha I wouldn't be surprised. She looks super tall. KSR is also slightly taller than NDR too. 

I think the shortness is not bad from a storytelling perspective though - it means no fillers and gets straight to the point of the action and romance. The only thing is that it is occasionally choppy on the explainations, but I think this hasn't happened too much. But you do end up wanting more! Also, I can only deal with not-scary horror, so this cheesy black cloud is ok for me :laugh:

just the other day i told @stroppyse whenever the evil spirit materialize i laugh hahaha cause it felt like or almost like watching power rangers with that cloud hahahah :laugh:

though yes the story is pretty clean cut to be honest....not very choppy and no filler....

On 10/2/2021 at 7:11 PM, ktcjdrama said:

I am actually more confused about how obedient the evil spirit is towards the principal about not consuming/killing other students/people. Wouldn't he become stronger if he killed more people? And if he's out of the pouch, as long as he's nowhere near the pouch or the so-called master, he is in a sense free to roam, isn't he? And anyway, he could open the safe by himself, from the inside, why did he obediently wait until exam result is out? :laugh: The principal cannot even hold him back from exiting the safe? or the pouch?

its more like a pack in between the principal and the evil spirit as far as i can gather...

evil been known to hold on to their pack in a sense....which make them less evil??? lols

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
On 10/1/2021 at 10:46 PM, abs-oluteM said:

WS' power seems to be evolving from the time he first developed the ability to see ghosts. It could also be some residue from the grandmother that causes him to evolve more and more?

On 10/2/2021 at 4:11 AM, ktcjdrama said:

Well, the principal seems to be able to control the evil spirit with his wards, and they seem to have come to some agreement about the rules of engagement. I think the principal could not hold the evil spirit from exiting the safe because a condition had been met. A last place student had been determined via testing, which the evil spirit had the right to go feed on. I agree that this hasn't been that well explained. Also, how did the evil spirit get from DS' previous school to the new school? Also, not explained.

Btw, when DS finally smiled in the last episode, she totally looked as she did when she was younger. I hope that there is a happy ending where she can smile care-free again. Not to mention hold hands with WS. So cute.

One more thing about the Korean title to this drama. In Korean, the title is Woo Soo Shaman Ga Doo Shim. It's just that woo soo means the greatest, so was translated that way. I thought it was cute that both Woo Soo and Doo Shim are named in the drama title.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3

I am done. All the arcs were wrapped up. The principal didn't regret what he did and died - no one missed him. The souls of all the dead students and Doo Sim's grandma could now leave the world in peace. Il Nam recovered . School became a happier place. Hyun Soo finally remembered his address and could go find his mum , and I suppose after that could depart for the afterworld with no regrets.

So at the end of the day Doo Sim's power was sufficient to beat the evil spirit. I suppose she had to come to that realization & be desperate enough. Grandma lied about her life being fine after this - the truth is no one knows the future. Thought that was a good message. I also liked that both Doo Shim and Woo Soo , like any teen, have yet to really decide what they wanted to do with their lives and I think that's fair. 

The ending had me a little surprised. Woo Soo proposing that they should move in together after high school was unexpected.  But in some ways it was cute that he's decided to walk on the road less travelled. Given his small ability now of seeing the future , and after what he's gone through with Doo Shim, I cannot imagine him wanting a boring predictable life. Perhaps they could both become a ghost busting duo ? 

• Like 4

Thanks for the wrap-up @abs-oluteM!

Awww. The ending was pretty much as expected, but it was still very cute and satisfying. Even the principal realizing that he had died after all was a light touch. DS' voiceover that no one really missed the principal and it didn't take long to forget him made me feel sorry for the principal, but not really. It's sad that he won't be missed by anyone, but he chose that life, and he was unrepentant till the end.

12 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

Woo Soo proposing that they should move in together after high school was unexpected. 

That was unexpected, but also cute as was WS' confession that he wants to be with DS. Given WS' mother, I can totally see DS having reservations about being in a relationship with WS, but it's also clear that she likes WS, possibly even as much as he likes her.

Still, they are both young and still in high school, so I appreciate that the drama didn't go for an overly romantic ending even while acknowledging it.

And as WS himself says, he doesn't want to live the life that he had before DS where he not only lived the way his parents wanted him to, but did it without them even having to tell him how to do it. He doesn't want to live the life that DS "sees" for him of becoming a doctor and living in a penthouse with a little wifey. Cute how he throws in back in DS' face that her vision of his future is one that anyone could have determined for him anyway.

If anything, since WS is the one with the predictive foresight, he has a power that DS doesn't. I totally agree that WS and DS could be a crime and evil spirit fighting duo!

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1