logo_609_6_20181015144515.png

'Squid Game' Ha-Jun Wi "Insta followers soaring, I wonder if it's a dream" [EN: Interview ①]

Enter 2021.09.30. 10:58 am | Reporter Lee Min-ji

202109300934230010_1_20210930105833242.jpg?type=w430

※Some spoilers are included.

The Netflix series 'Squid Game', which was released on September 17, is an extreme game in which those who participated in a mysterious survival with a prize of 45.6 billion won risk their lives to become the final winner. Draw a story that challenges you.

'Squid Game', which shows a different charm through the meeting of childhood memories and survival, is enjoying a syndrome-like popularity, ranking first in 80 out of 83 countries around the world.

Ha-jun Wi takes on the role of Jun-ho, a police officer who infiltrates the game to pursue the whereabouts of his missing brother. Junho is a person who disguises himself as a masked man who runs the game and goes out to the identity of the organizers of the game.

- Did you expect 'Squid Game' to be a hit all over the world?
▲ I am very happy and very honored that it is doing well all over the world. It's also strange When I read the script, I thought that many viewers would like it when the work was completed, but I didn't expect it to be like this. It is an honor and a pleasure to participate in such a work.

- Are you feeling the reaction and popularity?
▲ I can't feel it directly because I don't go out often, but I feel it because of the fans' interest, likes, and messages on Instagram.

- The SNS followers of squid game actors are increasing explosively. Impressive overseas fans' reactions?
▲ The number of followers on SNS is increasing, so it is amazing every day. I wonder if it's a dream I didn't know that the VIP scene would like it this much. The reaction to that god is so good that I remember it.

- What was the most memorable reaction after the release of 'Squid Game', and what was the best feedback?
▲ There were people who said 'Junho's character is cool and sexy', so I was embarrassed but thankful. More than anything else, it's naturally immersed in the work, so I'm glad I didn't get criticized in terms of acting, but it's a good feeling.

- I wonder if there is anything the actors have said about the success of 'Squid Game', and how many times they have traveled together

▲ Haesu sunbaenim and each other said, 'Congratulations, you worked hard. Sunbaenim said, 'It's thanks to you.' I said, 'No. The senior did a great job, so there are good results.” congratulating each other

- What was the reaction of other co-actors and family members who saw 'Squid Game'
▲ Other co-stars congratulated them a lot. I was surprised and envious that such a work could be produced in Korea as well. The family also likes it very much. You seem to be happier than me. They often say, 'The role of Junho suits him well, he did well'.

- If you would recommend your work to overseas fans who want to know more about Wi Ha-jun?
▲ There is a work called 'Romance is a Bonus Book'. He is the opposite of Junho from 'Squid Game'. The genre is romance and the lines are warm as it is healing because it is the story of people who make books. I think it is a work that can be comforting, and I would like to recommend it.

- As interest in 'Squid Game' increased, the dance video for Twice's 'Cheer Up' also became a hot topic
▲ It's embarrassing (laughs)

- I'm curious about the casting process too
▲ I auditioned. With such a great director, actors, and production team, I had a great desire to do it. I thought I would do well in the audition, but fortunately, the director looked at me and cast me. It was an honor.

Source | Translated by Google

Continued in interview ②

Spoiler

'Squid Game' Ha-Jun Wi "VIP scene hand acting, it wasn't easy, but with sincerity" [EN: Interview②]

202109301100440010_1_20210930110136443.j

photo = netflix

- How did you feel about the role when you first saw the scenario
▲ Junho wasn't a character who digested a lot of parts, but he had his own narrative and story. It is also the role of introducing to the viewers what is happening in this group from Junho's point of view. I thought it was a fascinating role.

- If there was anything that you paid special attention to while preparing the character

▲ The part that you were concerned about was that Junho had to find his brother from a sneaky position. Since I had to record and show what happened inside, I was concerned about maintaining the tension. It seems that the focus was on the inner details, the eyes and breath, and the tone of the lines that appear once in a while.

- How did you prepare for the English dialogue
▲ I am not good at English. So there were great difficulties and burdens. A close teacher helped me with pronunciation and tone. The director also went to study abroad and spoke English well, so he helped me a lot, so I was able to finish it well.

- What part did you discuss with director Hwang Dong-hyuk about the character Junho?
▲ He said that because the character Junho is honest, upright, and has a sense of justice. I also discussed that with the director. I wanted to show a sense of justice, and we discussed the part about inner acting.

- I'm curious about the character preparation process after casting
▲ I went to action school and practiced how to hold a gun through video and advice. I paid a lot of attention to my inner breathing, eyes, and tone.

- In the VIP scene, there were many reactions to the details of the performance of holding the VIP's hand. Is there any part that was intentional ?

▲ It wasn't my intention, but the director watched it on set and gave me directions. It wasn't easy, but it seems to have been done with sincerity as much as the scene, following the directions one by one. (Laughs)

- There are a lot of characters, but Junho mostly moved alone. Wasn't there a moment when you were lonely while acting?
▲ It seems that every moment was lonely. I also wanted to learn a lot while breathing with the seniors, build memories, and eat together, but most of the gods acted alone. There was also a lot of pressure to lead that god alone. It was lonely and burdensome, but the staff and the director guided me well, so fortunately I was able to finish it well.

- After infiltrating the base of 'Squid Game', I mainly wore pink overalls to act, but there were no difficulties
▲ When I first wore it, I thought pink didn't suit me, so I looked in the mirror and said 'Ah...' It was too hot in the summer, so there was only difficulty with that part, nothing else.

- I was disguised as a mask man, how did it feel when I wore a mask, and when many people moved in the same outfit, the feeling was different .

▲ I felt alive. As far as wearing that outfit and wearing a mask, I was also in the position of Junho, so I was careful and nervous. Without realizing it, I was able to control my breathing and look around me. The costumes and masks seem to have had a great effect.

- Did you pay attention to your facial expressions even while wearing a mask?

▲ I couldn't help but pay attention. Even if you can't see your face, you have to maintain the state so that each minor movement is expressed differently, so I acted while immersing myself in the situation as much as possible.

-Which scene did you have the most trouble with while preparing for filming?
▲ All the scenes were like that, but I was worried and worried about the VIP scene. Most of the lines were in English, and it was the first time I worked with a foreign actor. There were a lot of worries and concerns about whether I could breathe well. Fortunately, it seems like a good scene came out because the breathing worked well.

- Even though Junho was a police officer, there was also a reaction that it was ironic that there was no hesitation in handling the mask man after infiltrating. What do you think?
▲ I used to hear such reactions. I also thought it was ironic at first. If it were me, would I have done that to the parts that deal with the Mask Man without hesitation? I thought. In a way, I thought that the appearance of a detective handling a villain could give you a sense of exhilaration in some parts. On set, I acted because I thought I was immersed and acted in a reasonable way, but when I heard the question, I was like, 'Is it right that Junho should have done that? It was the best choice for me,' and I thought about it a lot.

Continued in interview ③

Spoiler

'Squid Game' Wi Ha-jun "I was excited and excited to work with Lee Byung-hun, I hope season 2 comes out" [EN: Interview ③]

202109301103360010_1_20210930110432311.j

(Photo = Netflix)

- You worked together as a brother with Lee Byung-hun
▲ I knew it beforehand. I was so excited. I remember being excited and excited until I met you. It was an honor.

- How do you feel about working together for a short time?
▲ I was thrilled because it was a senior I liked so much. Again, it was great, and his eyes and the word 'Let's go' were great. Outside of filming, I remember being very touched by eating and taking care of me in a friendly way.

- As a prequel to 'Squid Game', there are many fans who are curious about the story of the Junho brothers. Is there anything you have imagined ?

▲ I couldn't imagine it. My wish is that if season 2 comes out, Junho comes back alive, and the story of the brothers is solved, I think I will be happy.

- One of the points of the play is the scene where the frontman (Lee Byung-hun) reveals his identity and faces Jun-ho. What was the atmosphere of the shoot?
▲ The atmosphere on set was very good. Seniors led the atmosphere in a friendly way. From the moment I was cast, I did my best to prepare. I prepared as hard as possible because I thought that I should not become someone to the work, the director, and my seniors. I tried to express it well in line with the director's direction.

- Junho's end came out, but there are also reactions that he will be alive dramatically. I wonder what you think of the ending. Are you looking forward to appearing in season 2
▲ I wish I could live, but I can't predict it at all. Only the director knows. If there is a season 2, I have a desire and longing to live and participate.

- How did you feel watching the participants of 'Squid Game'
▲ I felt a lot of regret watching the participants. I was desperate and risking my life to do this. From Junho's point of view, would Junho also participate in such a situation in real life? There was also the question. In a way, looking at the nature of human beings, I felt sorry for him.

- If you become a participant in the squid game, how far do you think you will be able to pass, which game are you most confident in?
▲ I think I can do everything well except for Dalgona. I think I'm going to drop out of there because I'm not delicate. You can do 'Mugunghwa has bloomed' well. I'm good at changing things, and I think I'll be good at controlling my body.

- It is a work that shows a group of people who are engrossed in money. Which scene did you resonate with the most and which scene did not sympathize with?
▲ The part that resonated with me the most was the god that the participants chose during the game. I can't remember anything that I didn't agree with.

- Is there another role you covet among the participants of 'Squid Game'?
▲ Sang-woo (Park Hae-soo) approached me attractively. I thought it was the most humane thing in my opinion. I thought he might be the character that best showed the inner side of a human being.

- There were many scenes that required physical strength, such as scuba diving or mountain climbing. What was the most difficult scene?
▲ Running in the mountains and doing sports since I was a child, I did not have any physical difficulties. However, in the skin scuba scene, I had a very severe phobia of water. I remember taking classes and struggling to overcome my phobia of water in the pool. Fortunately, my phobia was resolved before filming, and I was able to shoot well. I think the most difficult scene was the skin scuba scene.

- What is your favorite scene from the viewer's point of view?
▲ Episode 6 Ilnam and Kihoon are very memorable. Oh Young-soo's acting change was creepy.

- The villain's performance in the recent movie 'Midnight' was impressive, but this time he showed the opposite image. Which acting suits the body better

▲ I think the role of Junho in 'Squid Game' suits me well. The villain is also very attractive, but I played a lot of villains in the movie. I had a great desire to play the role of a detective with a sense of justice, but I was very fortunate to be able to act in 'Squid Game'. I was so happy that they told me that I also thought that I was a good fit, that I fit in with the people around me, and that I felt like I did a good role in my image.

- Following the serial killer in his previous work, he took on the role of a detective and showed the scope of his work.

▲ I act while thinking that I should show a different side of me while immersing myself in the role as best I can. Previous work and 'Squid Game'

- Do you have your own criteria for choosing a work and digesting the character?
▲ I haven't done many works yet, so I'm thinking that if there's something I'm lacking, I'll have to digest it well. I want to try the role of a soldier or special agent. Since I'm from a rural island, I want to try acting as a simple and friendly youth while using a dialect.

- Junho is a character who has the opportunity to have a large amount of money, so it is not a pity.

▲ If I get 45.6 billion won, I want to use it for a good cause by giving and donating to my family who have supported and supported me. I like to exercise, so I want to set up a spacious and comfortable gym and work out hard. I hope that place will become a hideout and study the script there.

- I'm curious about your feelings about appearing in a Netflix project. Were there any differences that you felt while filming?
▲ I had a desire to do a Netflix work, but I was very happy when the casting for 'Squid Game' was confirmed. The fact that it will be released to the world through Netflix itself is strange, and I was worried and expected how it would be viewed in other countries. It felt like I was shooting a movie rather than feeling a big difference while filming.

- Expectations for the new drama are high
▲ The drama I am currently filming is a big challenge for me. It is a challenge because it has a comical side, a cute side, a charismatic side, and a flashy action that I have never shown before. I hope you take a good look at that part.

- In 'Son Ye-jin's younger sister', it emerged as a trend to show a presence in large works
▲ Ye-jin's sister-in-law started working on the work step by step after that. Thank you very much for your interest in this work. However, I try not to get excited, and I try to focus on what I am currently filming and show you a new and evolving side of the work. I'm so happy, but I say to myself, 'It's only for a moment. let's not get excited Let’s focus on what we have to do and develop further.”

- What kind of work do you think 'Squid Game' will remain for actor Ha-Jun Wi?
▲ This is my first Netflix work, and I think it will remain as a work of honor for the family, able to introduce the actor Wi Ha-Jun to many people around the world. 

Edited by Chocolate

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

BLACKPINK’s Jennie Hangs Out On “Squid Game” Set With Star Jung Ho Yeon

Sep 27, 2021 by E. Cha

“Squid Game” star Jung Ho Yeon has shared an adorable glimpse of BLACKPINK’s Jennie’s visit to the filming set!

As some fans may already know, model-turned-actress Jung Ho Yeon—who recently shot to fame after her starring turn in the hit drama “Squid Game”—is close friends with Jennie. Star Lee Jung Jae previously revealed that Jennie not only sent a coffee truck to the set to show her support for Jung Ho Yeon, but she actually paid a personal visit as well.

On September 27, Jung Ho Yeon thrilled fans by taking to Instagram and posting a cute photo that she and Jennie took together during the BLACKPINK member’s visit.

7idK9OU.png

Source

Edited by Chocolate

BLACKPINK’s Jennie Is In The Ending Credits For “Squid Game” — Here’s Why

Alicia Valley | 27 Sep, 2021

Did you spot this familiar name at the end of the show?

rxwan7OgDdSN3JYUdAh7bnlezH_ORK1R0VowFtx3

If you’ve made it to the end of Netflix‘s huge new hit K-Drama Squid Game and watched through the credits, you may have noticed a very surprising name at the end: Jennie, as in BLACKPINK‘s Jennie. Wondering how she got there? Here’s the scoop.

If you’re like many viewers, you may have rushed to social media to share your thoughts after Squid Game‘s explosive and unexpected ending. If you stayed to watch all the way through the ending credits (and you can read Hangul), however, you’d get hit with another surprise: BLACKPINK Jennie’s name.

xOlocdbclGL-qMQ86OMZANhJpXUIVZW3xzABNVPrcN8uIszs6DhlwhLQRWMqCNdA7oQ5pmORHjQssU_Pw9Tj3aRr9nr_uJujuqe5AsQoAdPrPdo=w32-fSoften=1,100,0-rp-e365

[ Special Thanks ], Jennie’s name highlighted in yellow | Netflix

Of course, eagle-eyed viewers—especially BLINKs—would have noticed if Jennie showed up in the K-Drama, even with 456 contestants to look through. With her distinctive figure, some fans probably could’ve spotted her even if she was disguised as one of the game’s staff. So, how did she make it into the credits alongside the show’s actors?

Spoiler

feTzr8HDhHfABx089jYAImS8UBSLbEKsLDGNc8_R

BLACKPINK’s Jennie | @jennierubyjane/Instagram

Among names like MERRELL Korea CEO Kwon Sung Yoon and the Seoul Film Commission‘s Lee Geun Cheol and Jung Jae Hee, Jennie appears right at the end of the credits in the “Special Thanks” section—and it’s all because of what she did for the cast and crew during the drama’s filming.

Squid Game was the first acting role for model Ho Yeon Jung (who plays Player No. 067, Kang Sae Byeok), so you may not have been familiar with her before now. However, she’s very familiar with BLACKPINK’s Jennie, who happens to be one of her celebrity besties.

xjyklzjxRYjM5gMpAbaAsCLb3lytY55sWp4cqt3spetQ6rfXPHJiDjM0Ji-I2lhnKq3uPejZwkFqHnu_V_kub3aykQdL_5Vp75--Gz_NjbUF7Ulp=w780-rj-l80-nu-e365

Ho Yeon Jung (rear) and BLACKPINK’s Jennie | @jennierubyjane/Instagram

Over the years, they’ve shown each other love and support and spent plenty of time together. From cooking together to dates in nature, they’re one of the cutest BFF pairs in the industry right now.

8wb8OWRqXIue8AGd9-dI_mmKdHdLRXbPLwPvcYIk

BLACKPINK’s Jennie (back right) with Ho Yeon Jung, Melody Day’s Chahee, and actress-model Hwang Se On | @jennierubyjane/Instagram

Ho Yeon even attended one of BLACKPINK’s concerts prior to the pandemic.

rGMu64isEVeB7Ja3EP36Y4gwAOdwo-WmcGrQFNwA

@hoooooyeony/Instagram

So, it should come as no surprise that when Ho Yeon scored her first acting role, Jennie couldn’t wait to shower her friend with support. All the way back in July 2020, when the K-Drama began filming, Jennie sent the cutest food support truck to the show’s set.

MmLtLb-9eVyTbL1My2lpcJLdjJtq5SLvH7BHAPmA

@hoooooyeony/Instagram

Actors, production crew, staff, everyone~
Please take care of Saebyeok-unnie well
– Jennie ♡

— Jennie’s food truck message for Ho Yeon Jung

In a recent YouTube video promotion Squid Game, Player No. 456 Seong Gi Hun actor Lee Jung Jae confirmed that Ho Yeon and Jennie are “great friends,” and revealed that Jennie actually visited the actors on set when she sent the truck.

oh7aCLEAFAjE_O6fvddGjte428zojz1lpK9YYOUk

Netflix Korea 넷플릭스 코리아/YouTube

I was like, ‘Wow! That’s Jennie from BLACKPINK!’ It was cool.

⁠— Lee Jung Jae

When the show finally dropped on Netflix, Jennie was quick to update her Instagram story too, calling herself Saebyeok and Ho Yeon’s fan.

After everything Jennie did for her during her first acting gig, it seems Ho Yeon Jung wanted to return the favor to her close friend in the most special way—a feature in the show’s credits. While a second season of Squid Game is still unconfirmed, perhaps Jennie could make a cameo if it ever happens!

In other news, Squid Game also sent Jennie an awesomely creepy gift.

Source: koreaboo

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Lee Jung Jae On What He Would Do With The “Squid Game” Prize Money, Chemistry With Lee Byung Hun & Park Hae Soo, And More

Sep 30, 2021 by S. Cho

“Squid Game” star Lee Jung Jae recently shared his thoughts on the show’s charms, his chemistry with his co-stars, and much more!

On September 29, Lee Jung Jae participated in an online interview with Star News to discuss his hit series “Squid Game.” The drama is about a mysterious survival game with a reward of 45.6 billion won (approximately $40 million) on the line. 456 money-hungry participants wind up joining the game—only to learn that there is more at stake than just the prize money.

After its worldwide release on September 17, “Squid Game” became the first Korean drama to top both the domestic and global Netflix TV show rankings, as well as the first Korean drama to rank No. 1 on “Today’s Top 10” in the United States. Additionally, the series has maintained a top 3 ranking in 83 countries around the world.

Lee Jung Jae plays the role of Sung Ki Hoon, a man who falls into a dire situation due to unemployment, divorce, gambling, and debt. Despite not even being welcomed by his own family, he does not lose hope or his sense of humanity.

Although Lee Jung Jae does not use social media himself, he shared that he was most definitely feeling the popularity of “Squid Game” in other ways. He commented, “Should I say I see it with my eyes? I lurk on social media. I can feel the popularity. I’ve been seeing lots of people upload photos. The cast members have also been uploading photos onto social media. Even just this morning, I was asked, ‘Can I upload this photo of us together?’ So I told them to upload it.”

He continued, “From my colleagues to even acquaintances, I’ve been getting a lot of calls and texts these days. I’ve been getting lots of congratulatory messages, so I’m thankful. The parody videos that ‘Squid Game’ viewers have been uploading are so fun. There are even people who make me think, ‘These people have way better ideas than us.’ I can’t look often as I’m currently filming a project, but I look on social media and laugh whenever I get a break.”

When asked what he thinks catapulted “Squid Game” to global success, Lee Jung Jae answered, “There are a lot of unique aspects. Even apart from Korean content, it’s probably a very unique concept. The scenario features a complex combination of a variety of aspects, and I think the filming and characters were all part of that harmony.”

Spoilers

Eagle-eyed viewers noticed a scene in the drama where Lee Jung Jae pretends to eat, which recently went viral. Lee Jung Jae explained, “When you film an eating scene, you eat really diligently in the first take. By the third and fourth, you get full and start to cut corners. I think that since I had my back to the camera, I thought I wouldn’t show up on screen and tried to cut corners. I did eat when I was facing the front. I think they just used that while editing.” He added with a laugh, “I guess even while editing, they didn’t notice.”

Spoiler

Lee-Jung-Jae-1.jpeg

Lee-Jung-Jae-2.jpeg

At the end of the series, Lee Jung Jae’s character returns home and boldly dyes his hair a bright red. The actor shared the reason for this, saying, “The red hair was originally in the script. I remember talking with the director about why he had to have red hair. Red hair is a color an average man of Ki Hoon’s age would never do. I think it was an effort to show that he was going beyond a certain limit.” Lee Jung Jae added, “I was in a situation where red hair would’ve made me unable to do other work. It wasn’t dyed; I just wore a wig that fit really well.”

Spoiler

When asked how he would like to resemble his character Ki Hoon, Lee Jung Jae responded, “Honestly, I’m not sure whether people overseas will relate to Sung Ki Hoon wanting to help others and actually helping others in such an extreme situation. However, I think it captures the emotions of Koreans well, so I didn’t think it was strange when I read the script.”

He continued, “I read it thinking that he was a warmhearted person. There was no aspect [of the character] that I felt I couldn’t act because I didn’t understand it. Because of that, the character of Sung Ki Hoon looked kind of cute. Although it’s a TV show, I also think that Sung Ki Hoon’s personality was transformed into a message.”

Lee Jung Jae also shared his personal thoughts on why he had found “Squid Game” charming, explaining, “I liked the concept. It’s a survival game for adults, but there’s an element of horror in the setup of playing childhood games. You could say the genre is survival, but the screenplay includes details of all the sorrows and troubles of the contestants and why they had to resort to this. In order to not exaggerate those points, they’re slowly piled up one by one from Episode 1, and then it emotionally and effectively explodes at the end. I felt that that set it apart from other survival films. I thought that it was good from the start.”

He went on to give insight into the set, sharing, “On our set, there was actually a huge doll placed in a wide open space and 456 people really ran around to play ‘Red Light, Green Light.’ The tug of war and glass bridge got a lot of help from computer graphics, but there was no way I could’ve guessed its scale just from reading the script. Because of that, I was so full of curiosity about how the set would be arranged every time I went to film. Whenever we got there, the set would be done so well that we would all be busy taking photos before filming.”

Lee-Jung-Jae-3.jpeg

Next, Lee Jung Jae spoke about his chemistry with co-stars Park Hae Soo and Lee Byung Hun. Park Hae Soo played Jo Sang Woo, Sung Ki Hoon’s childhood friend. Lee Jung Jae shared, “As [Park Hae Soo’s] foundation was so strong with his theatre experience, he interpreted and built his character in a very deep manner. While he had depth, he also tried to look at different aspects. He has a lot of cute sides and was humorous on set. I guess you could say he was the mood maker.”

He continued, “In terms of acting, since he was the friend who went to the very end with me, our chemistry was good. He has such a good personality. We went through all the seasons together and filmed from when it was most hot to when it was most cold. We filmed the final scene on a cold day while rain sprayed down on us, and I think the cast and crew were able to overcome all the difficult parts thanks to his bright personality.”

Lee Byung Hun starred as the “Squid Game” front man who oversaw all matters regarding the game, but his identity was only revealed at the end of the series. Lee Jung Jae commented, “Lee Byung Hun and I had always just said, ‘We have to work together eventually,’ ‘Let’s do it sometime.’ We’ve been close since our debuts. We were even under the same agency for a few years. Our friendship is unique. Somehow, we just never had the opportunity [to actually work together].”

He shared, “I don’t know if it’s because of his relationship with director Hwang Dong Hyuk, but he made a special appearance in ‘Squid Game.’ With me, we only met for one scene. If there were a ‘Squid Game 2,’ I’d obviously want to work with Lee Byung Hun. Even if I can’t come out in Part 2, I’d want to work together in another project.”

Given the enormous amount of prize money awarded in “Squid Game,” Lee Jung Jae was also asked what he would do with that kind of award. He shared, “If Ki Hoon got 45.6 billion won, he might make a different decision, but if Lee Jung Jae were to suddenly get 45.6 billion won, he would definitely donate it.”

Source

• Like 1

The other half and I have watched 5 episodes of this and haven't managed to get back to it. We judged it not appropriate for the youngest and thankfully we didn't let her watch it. So it's hard to find time to watch it plus I've been watching three C dramas. It's really not a bad show once you get past the first couple of episodes although for those of us who are familiar with the Liar Game franchise, it's nothing especially original. 

The first episode was hard to get through. Lee Jung-jae was brilliant (especially when you compare with his turn in Chief of Staff) but his character was such a deadbeat that we were both hurling invectives at him all throughout. I don't know if I've ever had to deal with such an unlikeable male lead before but he tested my patience. But I imagine that's the point. What's really interesting though is that once he is back in the game, he's a boy scout compared to most of the other characters. There's something about the environment that brings out the best and the very worst in people. For him, it's his time to shine and occasionally he even does something smart. However, it is shocking at what people will do to survive. 

I particularly liked how the tug-of-war played out. Both strength and strategy ruled the day. I was stunned though that the owner of the game berated the organ harvesters for gaming the game because they took away the players' right to an equal playing field. It was an interesting comment coming from the man who seems to have organized this for entertainment purposes. It's the sort of argument made against steroid use in sport and one wouldn't think that something like "equal opportunity" would matter when so much abuse of human rights are already being made in this context.

I am also struck by how much money has been poured into making this event work just by looking at the branding and the uniforms. The children-themed sets adds to the eerie, macabre vibe. It certainly reminds one of the gladiatorial games from days gone by with a veneer of respectability. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

The first episode was hard to get through. Lee Jung-jae was brilliant (especially when you compare with his turn in Chief of Staff) but his character was such a deadbeat that we were both hurling invectives at him all throughout. I don't know if I've ever had to deal with such an unlikeable male lead before but he tested my patience. But I imagine that's the point.

Yes, he was terribly unattractive. A man his age, accepting money (and it's only US$10) from his mother to buy a birthday present for his daughter, and his mother sells vegetable at a roadside stall. So I'm checking out his other projects Assassination, The Housemaid where he at least "looks" better 😆 I read that Lake House was a remake of Il Mare and the original is even better too.

Hope you finish the series, but have to warn though that the best episodes are from 3 - 7.

• Like 1

This is an achievement!  @BBCWorld "Korean series Squid Game is on its way to beating Bridgerton to become Netflix's biggest original series of all time".

97c2b7cdb908b410699ff360e98ef29c.jpg

Squid Game: The Netflix show adding murder to playground nostalgia

By Waiyee Yip and William Lee | Oct 1, 2021

_120732445_-3.jpg

Squid Game features striking visuals

Even if you haven't watched the show or seen the memes taking over the internet - chances are you've probably heard of Squid Game.

Everyone has been talking about the hyper-violent thriller that has become a massive hit ever since it launched on Netflix two weeks ago.

In fact, the Korean series - centred on a brutal survival game - is on its way to beating Regency-era romance Bridgerton to become the streaming platform's biggest original series of all time.

While the genre of the show is hardly new, its striking visuals, relatable characters and disturbing study of human nature have spoken to audiences all around the world.

Playground murders

Spoiler

In Squid Game, a group of 456 people, in debt and desperate, are lured into a bloodthirsty survival game where they have the chance to walk away with 45.6 billion Korean won ($39 million) if they win a series of six games.

The twist? They die if they lose.

The games are simple enough - they are childhood games that the players grew up playing. And that surprising juxtaposition of innocent child's play with violent deaths has caused viewers to sit up.

"People are attracted by the irony that hopeless grownups risk their lives to win a kids' game," Squid Game director Hwang Dong-hyuk said in an interview.

"The games are simple and easy, so viewers can give more focus on each character rather than complex game rules."

There's also the element of nostalgia. For example, the Dalgona honeycomb challenge featured in episode three is one that most Koreans remember playing when they were kids.

_120732447_-4.jpg

Trying to cut the shape out of the thin honeycomb candy is no easy feat

In the challenge, players must carefully cut out a shape from a paper-thin sheet of honeycomb candy using a needle. If you get a very intricate shape and the candy cracks, you lose.

One Korean user tweeted: "Squid Game makes me want to eat Dalgona [candy] again. It's been 20 something years…Are they still around? I don't think I can find one."

Characters like you and me

Spoiler

Experts also attribute the show's success to its characters, many of whom are marginalised members of society.

Though they are all linked by huge money troubles, they come from all walks of life.

The lead, for example, is an unemployed man with a gambling problem who struggles to gain respect from his family. Through the game, he meets a young North Korean defector with a tragic background, and a Pakistani labourer who is mistreated by his employers.

Squid GameIMAGE SOURCE,NETFLIX

Many of the characters are marginalised but that's what makes them relatable, viewers say Kim Pyeong-gang, a global cultural content professor at Sangmyung University, told the BBC: "People, especially the younger generation, who regularly suffer from alienation and resentment in real life, seem to sympathise with the characters."

Like its East Asian neighbours, the hyper-competitive nature of society in South Korea has left many feeling disillusioned. Despite hard work, it simply is not possible for everyone to get top university spots or good jobs.

The games in the show, however deadly, present an alternative world supposedly based on fair play.

As one gaming official says in the series: "All participants in the game are equal. We are giving people who have suffered unequal treatment and discrimination in the outside world the last chance to win a fair competition."

Red light, green light

Spoiler

Western media outlets have drawn comparisons between Squid Game and Parasite, the Oscar-winning 2019 Korean film that also looked at the wealth disparity and unfairness of society.

But in east Asia, viewers have pointed out how the show bears similarities with the 2014 Japanese film As The Gods Will. The movie is centred on high schoolers but it follows a comparable storyline, and some have even accused Squid Game of plagiarism.

For example, As The Gods Will also features the traditional children's game "Red Light, Green Light". In one of the most famous scenes from Squid Game, a giant robot girl uses her laser eyes to spot players who have lost the game. They are then killed.

However, director Hwang has denied the accusations, saying that there is "no connection" between the two shows, and that parallels were drawn only because of the show's genre.

"I started planning [Squid Game] in 2008 and began writing the script in 2009… the similarities that were pointed out are purely coincidental and there is no copying from either party," he said.

In any case, all the hype surrounding his show has led to calls for a second season. But fans may have to wait a long time for that. "I don't have well developed plans for Squid Game 2," he told Variety. "It is quite tiring just thinking about it."

Source

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1
On 9/29/2021 at 12:45 AM, mademoiselle said:

I wish it was something more significant or important or meaningful

Isn't that part of the parable though, that there are some bored, rich people who are so amoral that they're okay amusing themselves literally at the expense of other people's lives?

I am pretty amazed at how popular Squid Game is.

• Insightful 1
16 hours ago, Chocolate said:

I read that Lake House was a remake of Il Mare and the original is even better too.

I loved the lake house, and fell in love with Lee Jung Jae and Jun Ji Hyun from this movie. Fair warning though, it's a rather slow paced movie and they don't explain a lot of things, just let them happen.

18 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Lee Jung-jae was brilliant (especially when you compare with his turn in Chief of Staff) but his character was such a deadbeat that we were both hurling invectives at him all throughout. I don't know if I've ever had to deal with such an unlikeable male lead before but he tested my patience. But I imagine that's the point. What's really interesting though is that once he is back in the game, he's a boy scout compared to most of the other characters.

I know what you mean about the ML being unlikable at the beginning, especially when he takes his mother's money out of her bank account then blows it at the tracks. However, I didn't think it was inconsistent of him to be friendly and want to be helpful once he found himself in the game. LJJ himself alludes to that quality of being warm-hearted and being helpful in his interview that @Chocolate posted. LJJ's character is one who never really grew up. Or rather, he grew up, held a job, got married, got a kid, but then lost his job and his family, and really reverted back to being a kid albeit a slacker one. However, there was nothing to indicate that his character was mean, cruel, or petty. Actually, his friend played by Park Hae Soo was the one who had ambition and pride, and was willing to withhold information to disadvantage his own teammates. He's not really an evil person either, I guess, just willing to tip the scales by turning a blind eye which does not make him a good guy.

• Heart Eyes 1
3 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I know what you mean about the ML being unlikable at the beginning, especially when he takes his mother's money out of her bank account then blows it at the tracks. However, I didn't think it was inconsistent of him to be friendly and want to be helpful once he found himself in the game. LJJ himself alludes to that quality of being warm-hearted and being helpful in his interview that @Chocolate posted. LJJ's character is one who never really grew up. Or rather, he grew up, held a job, got married, got a kid, but then lost his job and his family, and really reverted back to being a kid albeit a slacker one. However, there was nothing to indicate that his character was mean, cruel, or petty. Actually, his friend played by Park Hae Soo was the one who had ambition and pride, and was willing to withhold information to disadvantage his own teammates. He's not really an evil person either, I guess, just willing to tip the scales by turning a blind eye which does not make him a good guy.

Agree. Gi Hun is a person who couldn't get back on his feet, once he lost his job. But in the game, he was mostly a kind and helpful person. Even in the marble game, although he was cheating and taking advantage of his "friend", the show never made him out to be a villian - the old man "sacrificed" himself and gave him the final marble at the end.

I didn't understand Sang Woo's actions during the Dalgona game. They had just formed a team. He knew what the game was. Why did he not have all his team members choose triangle. He was prepared to sacrifice them. But why? It was so early in the game.

There's some discussion going on about the accuracy of the translations. This poster feels strongly about the "mis-translations".

Spoiler

But this poster explained the difference between Netflix's "Subtitles" and "Closed Captions". [Something new to me. Will be checking my settings next time!] And reassured that the subs were fine.

Spoiler

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 2

@Chocolate, I think the poster Mayer is valuing literal translations a bit too much. Having done translations from Korean to English, you're trying to convey the point and sentiment of the dialogue in the scene in the translated language when you don't have time or space to explain cultural meaning and nuances. That means that some analogies in Korean are replaced entirely to a more common analogy in English, for instance. I don't think it was mis-translations or that the translation missed the whole point.

There is a lot of cursing in Squid Game, however, you may not translate all of the curse words. First of all, a lot of the words or phrases don't translate that well and so you can translate literal or you can translate for impact. Having said that, do you really want to offend a lot of people by utilizing f-bombs and other offensive words to get the impact, or do you just want to convey some of the sentiment without turning viewers off, especially if the "impactful" curse words don't actually convey literal sense anyway?

Mayer does have a point about the education of the female participant, but she mis-translates her example dialogue as well. The female participant actually says "It's only because I haven't studied, but my mind is no joke." It's not a question of not having had a chance to study that the female participant is riffing on. In fact, with her bravado, she is defiant in her lack of education, in effect saying that she's incredibly smart even if she didn't bother with education. Interestingly enough, when I watch the scene on Netflix, the translation reads "I never bothered to study, but I'm unbelievably smart." which is a close translation in both sentiment and actual dialogue. So, if Mayer is actually watching it on Netflix, then Netflix must have a recursive translation strategy as well. For instance, in Viki, I know that there is a first translation which is done in a rush, and then the translations are refined later.

As for the English subtitle versus English subtitle CC difference, I think that poster is wrong as well. Closed captioning is one where every element is identified, not just the dialogue. So, it will offscreen reactions like laughter or whether bgm is playing. The subtitle, however, should be the same on both subtitle and closed caption.

So, I guess from my point, the translations are good enough to convey the idea of what they're talking about. Some translations and translators are better than others, but I haven't seen much on Netflix that is totally wrong.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

The second Twitter post re: translations clarification mentioned the closed captions followed the dubbed English audio version. This is why it is different to the subbed version's English subtitles.

I do have to ask, what does "Gang-bu" mean? I watch in Chinese subtitles and it just literally translate it to a Chinese Character (or Hanja?) with the same pronunciation of "Gang-bu" and didn't elaborate.

• Like 1

fc87bc1839e8498db12bec8cb031e1e8.jpeg?s=

“Squid Game” Cast Members To Appear On “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon”

Oct 2, 2021 by C. Hong

The hit Netflix series “Squid Game” will be appearing on “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.”

On October 2, the American media outlet Headline Planet reported that cast members from “Squid Game” had been invited to the October 6 filming of “The Tonight Show.” Both Netflix and NBC have confirmed that there will be an appearance from the show’s cast, but which cast members will appear is being kept under wraps.

“Squid Game,” which has risen to the top of the popularity rankings on Netflix in 81 countries around the world, stars Lee Jung Jae, Park Hae Soo, Wi Ha Joon, Oh Young Soo, Jung Ho Yeon, Heo Sung Tae, and more.

Source

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1

[SBS Star]

'Squid Game' Anupam Tripathi Got a Scholarship to Korea's Top Arts University?

Lee Narin | Published Fri Oct 01 14:06:00 KST 2021

201596551_1280.jpg

People all over the world are obsessing over the Korean Netflix series 'Squid Game' at the moment.

Currently, it is one of the most-watched series on Netflix in 82 countries out of 83 countries that Netflix's service is provided.

One of the main characters of 'Squid Game' is Indian actor Anupam Tripathi, who is the only non-Korean main actor, and many have been paying attention to him following the success of the series.

Anupam Tripathi perfectly portrayed the life of a struggling Pakistani migrant worker in 'Squid Game'.

The actor made debut with a minor role in sensational movie 'Ode to My Father' in 2014, then continued playing minor roles in other hit movies including 'The Phone' (2015), 'Heart Blackened' (2017), 'SPACE SWEEPERS' (2020) and more.

It turned out that Anupam Tripathi is a Korea National University of Arts graduate, and even got a scholarship there.

Korea National University of Arts is known to be the top arts university in Korea.

Anupam Tripathi moved to Korea in 2010 after his friend recommended that he get a scholarship from Korea National University of Arts.

Although he faced some issues due to cultural differences at first, he still wanted to make a career in acting in Korea.

Spoiler

201596553_1280.jpg

During his recent interview, Anupam Tripathi said his family initially disapproved his choice of studying and acting in Korea; they are very happy about his achievements today though.

But he added, "My dad would have been so delighted to see me right now, but he passed away in 2017. He would have been really happy."

Tripathi stated that he would like to act in a Korean historical drama in the future, saying, "I would like to overcome limitations as a foreign actor in Korea."

201596552_1280.jpg

(Credit= 'sangipaiya' Instagram, Netflix Korea)

Source

• Like 1

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Jung Ho Yeon On Auditioning For “Squid Game,” Support From BLACKPINK’s Jennie And Boyfriend Lee Dong Hwi, And More

Oct 3, 2021 by U. Kim

Model-turned-actress Jung Ho Yeon spoke about her ever-rising popularity following “Squid Game”!

Jung Ho Yeon made her acting debut in the hit Netflix series “Squid Game” and immediately grabbed the attention of viewers around the world. On October 1, she sat down for an interview with Herald POP and promised to continue growing as an actress.

“Squid Game” is about a mysterious survival game with a reward of 45.6 billion won (approximately $40 million) on the line. 456 money-hungry participants wind up joining the game—only to learn that there is more at stake than just the prize money. Jung Ho Yeon plays the North Korean defector Sae Byeok who has lived as a pickpocket to provide for her family.

Spoiler

jung-ho-yeon.jpeg

Regarding the audition process for the role, Jung Ho Yeon revealed, “It had been less than a month since I had signed with my agency, and I was in New York for Fashion Week, but I was asked to send an audition video as soon as possible. I had never filmed an audition video myself, so I remember pouring all of my energy into the script. I did my best for about three days. I didn’t even know how to approach acting, so I kept pondering over why Sae Byeok said what she said. After some time, I felt like I had gotten closer to Sae Byeok. I had forgotten about the video after I sent it over, but they suddenly told me they wanted to see me in person, so I quickly flew to Korea.”

At the in-person audition, Jung Ho Yeon was extremely nervous despite her many years of experience in front of the camera as a model. When she was told that she got the role, she felt that she “had gotten herself into trouble and felt a rush of pressure and fear.” She even had to stop drinking coffee because it made her heart pound too fast after she joined the “Squid Game” cast.

Even after the shoots began, Jung Ho Yeon’s anxiety did not subside. Sensing a crisis, the actress decided that something had to be done, and she asked the director if they could have a talk over a meal. She explained, “I think I wanted to feel certain about why he chose me. Then the director said to me, ‘I picked you because you’re already perfect as Sae Byeok.’ That one phrase made me think that even if I’m not that great at acting, it would be problematic if I’m not able to do what I normally can do because of my nervousness and uneasiness, and I was able to overcome it. I also spoke to my seniors a lot while filming. From a certain point on, I didn’t feel uneasy, and I could focus and do my best.”

To understand and portray her character Sae Byeok, Jung Ho Yeon kept a diary. “I focused on studying Sae Byeok’s inner thoughts. She’s an interesting person in that she lives for the sake of others, rather than herself. But I think my research was lacking in terms of methods of expression. I was also slow at absorbing the director’s directions. Then, I experienced actions coming out of me even when I wasn’t thinking about it, which made me feel like I had grown closer to Sae Byeok, and that was cool. I figured that’s what it felt like to live as a character. Because I’m lacking, what I focused on most was being sincere.”

jung-ho-yeon-3.jpeg

She said about her growing Instagram follower count, “In the beginning, I was very surprised as I checked in real-time. When I opened the app once, the number went up, and when I opened it again, it went up further. I thought that the love for ‘Squid Game’ was being reflected in numbers, like fate, and I was thankful. Just the fact that so many people around the world are showing their interest puts me in a good mood.”

The actress explained that the buzz around herself and “Squid Game” didn’t feel real until she started taking part in interviews with the press – especially because everything is happening online and she hasn’t had a chance to physically see her fans.

She shared, “I was in a call with Park Hae Soo the other day, and he said, ‘Let’s keep our feet on the ground.’ Whenever I feel overwhelmed, I live with the thought that my feet are on the ground. In terms of my acting, I think I was lacking in many ways. The director, senior actors, and staff put it all together for me, and I know that my personal skills are lacking. I’m thankful for all of the love people have been giving me despite that, and I will work harder in the future to improve.”

Asked about her goals, she commented, “I don’t have any goals as an actress. I want to improve every day and maintain a steady pace without ever losing my resolve to work hard. I may waver a lot, but I’ll work really hard and keep going.”

jung-ho-yeon-2.jpeg

Jung Ho Yeon opened up about her boyfriend Lee Dong Hwi, whom she has been dating publicly since 2016. She revealed, “He’s very proud of the success of ‘Squid Game.'”

“Since he’s also an actor, he’s a good senior, a good friend, and a good person,” she commented, before adding, “He cheers me on a lot, and he worries for me as well. He’s sort of like a dad.”

Jung Ho Yeon is also known to be good friends with BLACKPINK’s Jennie, who sent a coffee truck to the set of “Squid Game” and even visited the set to cheer her friend on.

Jung Ho Yeon revealed that Jennie had congratulated her on the immense popularity of “Squid Game.” She shared, “Jennie was happy for me ever since I told her I was cast in ‘Squid Game.’ She sent me a coffee truck, and she actively cheered me on by even uploading to her social media.”

Sharing her gratitude for Jennie, Jung Ho Yeon said, “Jennie is always there on the list of people I’m grateful for while acting in ‘Squid Game.’ She congratulated me so happily, as if my joys were also her own, that I wondered how such an angel could exist.”

Source

• Like 1

Lee Jung Jae And Park Hae Soo Launch Personal Instagram Accounts

Oct 2, 2021 by L. Kim

Park Hae Soo has joined his “Squid Game” co-star Lee Jung Jae in opening a personal Instagram account!

In the caption, he wrote, “I have also participated! This is Park Hae Soo.”

YWFt0fh.png

Lee Jung Jae has opened a new Instagram account of his very own!

On October 2, the actor kicked off his brand-new account with his first post: a selfie with the caption “Is this… how you do it…?” He also added the hashtags “Lee Jung Jae” and “Squid Game.”

08wt7Gd.png

Source

• Like 1

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Squid Game” Star Jung Ho Yeon Overtakes Song Hye Kyo To Become 2nd Most-Followed Korean Actress On Instagram

Oct 4, 2021 by E. Cha

“Squid Game” star Jung Ho Yeon is now the Korean actress with the second highest number of followers on Instagram!

After catapulting to stardom in the smash hit drama “Squid Game,” the model-turned-actress has seen her Instagram follower count rise thirtyfold, going from just over 400,000 (before the show’s release) to 12.6 million in the span of just two weeks.

Jung Ho Yeon has now overtaken Song Hye Kyo, who currently has just over 12 million followers, to become the second most-followed Korean actress on the platform. She may also be on track to catch up to Lee Sung Kyung, who holds the title of most-followed Korean actress with over 12.9 million followers.

Jung-Ho-Yeon-Instagram.jpgSong-Hye-Kyo-Instagram.jpg

Congratulations to Jung Ho Yeon on her impressive feat! (Check out her Instagram account here!)

Source

• Like 1

:lol:

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Kim Soo Hyun Jokes That He Could Have Made An Appearance On “Squid Game”

Oct 3, 2021 by U. Kim

Would you have liked to see Kim Soo Hyun in “Squid Game”? The actor thinks he would have blended in well!

The hit drama “Squid Game” is about a mysterious survival game with a reward of 45.6 billion won (approximately $40 million) on the line. 456 money-hungry participants wind up joining the game—only to learn that there is more at stake than just the prize money.

On October 2, FTISLAND’s Lee Hong Ki uploaded to his Instagram Stories a photo Kim Soo Hyun had shared with him. Lee Hong Ki wrote on top of the image, “He sent me this photo saying he could have appeared [on ‘Squid Game’] too… haha hyung.. then you would have been the first one to die hahaha.” Kim Soo Hyun and Lee Hong Ki are known to be close friends.

kim-soo-hyun-squid-game-506x900.jpg

The photos are still cuts from “Squid Game” photoshopped with screenshots of Kim Soo Hyun’s past cameo appearance from tvN’s “Crash Landing on You” as his character Won Ryu Hwan from the 2013 movie “Secretly, Greatly.”

Won Ryu Hwan is a North Korean spy who is deployed to South Korea, where he pretends to be the village idiot Bang Dong Goo who is always wearing his trademark green track suit. The character blends in with the other “Squid Game” actors clad in green as if he was meant to be there.

Source

• Like 1

This drama is well produced and well acted, however, I'm still a bit surprised that it's gathering such an international fan base. Or maybe not, since I am fascinated by it as well. Even though the violence and pettiness of some of the characters is truly appalling, the story still managed to draw me in. So, even though I keep taking breaks after an episode or 2, I seem to have finished it.

And the way this drama ends, it's totally begging for a Season 2. I know the PD didn't seem entirely on board, but perhaps if a good script can be developed?

I love Gong Yoo's cameo, btw. I was surprised in episode 1, but even more surprised in episode 9. Lee Byung Hun's cameo also totally rocked. I was rather surprised to see both of them in this project. Then again, it's lead actor is Lee Jung Jae!

• Heart Eyes 1